• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a 3700X system, coming from a 4690K, after being away from AMD since my Phenom II 1090T way back when. I'm ready.

Oct 29, 2017
Rocket Lake being back ported Tiger Lake to 14nm is a yuuuuuuuge red flag. It might bring enough IPC improvement that they beat Zen 3 but honestly, I don't care anymore about a few points. Everywhere else AMD is leading, and Intel doesn't seem to have a comprehensive plan to figure itself out. This last ditch effort to get some better IPC on desktop chips is honestly crazy in its own right.

On the mobile space they are doing much better agains AMD. Right now Tiger Lake is fine, although if Zen goes to 5nm this might change. But again, Lakefield is really promising, so I wouldn't count Intel out. I can easily imagine them losing most of the desktop market in the next few years, until they can bring 10nm Alder Lake or something that could finally shake up their lineup.

But on the mobile space there is Apple, and they have such an insane lead right now that I cannot imagine either AMD or Intel to catch up in the near future. And the M1X isn't even here. Like man, Intel cannot catch a break. Even their brand new Xe is getting its ass kicked by the M1 GPU, and that was literally their biggest feature (apart from having decent bins that can run at decent clocks).

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I am just waiting for Intel's response in their next lineup, and price adjustments. AMD has just finally become competitive, so let's hope Intel wakes the fuck up.

If not, only then will I maybe consider AMD.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Still rocking my good ol' 9700K in my main rig, which should be seeing an AMD upgrade by the end of the year.

However I did dip my toe in the AMD waters for my office build with a 3600, which amazon had at $190 at the time. Love that build.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Honestly, I am just waiting for Intel's response in their next lineup, and price adjustments. AMD has just finally become competitive, so let's hope Intel wakes the fuck up.

If not, only then will I maybe consider AMD.
Your phrasing is weird, as if you were actively avoiding AMD despite being aware that it's better lol

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your phrasing is weird, as if you were actively avoiding AMD despite being aware that it's better lol
After decades of being behind, I do not trust AMD's platform to continue beating Intel, and I prefer future-proofing at least a bit in that regard. Yes, AMD has taken a slight lead and Intel has become complacent/is struggling, but I don't trust AMD to keep their lead unless Intel shows they cannot compete in their next lineup.

All that matters to me in terms of PC usage is gaming performance -- all other productivity tasks are done on my MBP. I simply am not interested, nor do I care, about PC CPU/GPU performance outside of gaming, since I don't use PC for anything else.

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
After decades of being behind, I do not trust AMD's platform to continue beating Intel, and I prefer future-proofing at least a bit in that regard. Yes, AMD has taken a slight lead and Intel has become complacent/is struggling, but I don't trust AMD to keep their lead unless Intel shows they cannot compete in their next lineup.

All that matters to me in terms of PC usage is gaming performance -- all other productivity tasks are done on my MBP. I simply am not interested, nor do I care, about PC CPU/GOU performance outside of gaming, since I don't use PC for anything else.
But... future proofing in what regard? I mean, if you buy a 11th gen Intel CPU and you want to upgrade to a 12th gen down the road you'll have to buy a new motherboard... just like if you want to upgrade from a Zen 3 CPU to Intel 12th gen. What are you future proofing by choosing Intel vs AMD? If anything, AMD actually has a history of supporting their sockets and chipsets for decent amounts of time lol

Also, AMD beats Intel in gaming so not sure why productivity has any relevance here

I don't get it, my Zen 3 CPU today beats Intel CPUs today, so what am I missing by having made the choice to buy my 5800X? lol

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sign that Intel might work towards not requiring a new motherboard each new chip? Also to stop locking out motherboard features based on the tier of chip you have? That's what I want them to do to compete as well.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But... future proofing in what regard? I mean, if you buy a 11th gen Intel CPU and you want to upgrade to a 12th gen down the road you'll have to buy a new motherboard... just like if you want to upgrade from a Zen 3 CPU to Intel 12th gen. What are you future proofing by choosing Intel vs AMD? If anything, AMD actually has a history of supporting their sockets and chiptets for decent amounts of time lol

Also, AMD beats Intel in gaming so not sure why productivity has any relevance here

I don't get it, my Zen 3 CPU today beats Intel CPUs today, so what am I missing by having made the choice to buy my 5800X? lol
I mean nothing, if you're building something today, the 5800X seems like a great value. At what point did I say otherwise?

I'm not planning on upgrading/building anything new until 2021Q2. I'm waiting on what 11th gent Intel looks like in terms of performance vs. Zen 3/4, whatever is competing from the AMD side at that time.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I mean nothing, if you're building something today, the 5800X seems like a great value. At what point did I say otherwise?

I'm not planning on upgrading/building anything new until 2021Q2. I'm waiting on what 11th gent Intel looks like in terms of performance vs. Zen 3/4, whatever is competing from the AMD side at that time.
That's fine, I would have waited too if I was willing to hold off for longer. I just didn't understand the future proofing aspect

Feb 1, 2018
5600x and 3070 reporting in

Intel's consumer business is done for, they'll probably pull an IBM and retreat to being enterprise only. Apple and AMD totally ate their lunch. That's what happens when you get lazy and refuse to innovate because you think you're on top and nobody can touch you

All that matters to me in terms of PC usage is gaming performance -- all other productivity tasks are done on my MBP. I simply am not interested, nor do I care, about PC CPU/GOU performance outside of gaming, since I don't use PC for anything else.

Lol same. I would never trust my DIY PC rig on a critical project for a client, so it's just a gaming system. And Windows still doesn't fully support the codecs I rely on for work anyway, and probably never will

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, I would have waited too if I was willing to hold off for longer. I just didn't understand the future proofing aspect
By all accounts if I had to build something right now I'd go with a 5800X, no questions asked. AMD is simply ahead! I have the luxury of not needing to put anything together for a while yet :)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yes heavily infront. AMD is great and all but most of the time they only apppear in ethusiast and gaming builds your general consumer will more than likely have an intel cpu 8/10 times. Additionally I went and looked at December Steam survey

Intel: 81%
AMD: 19%

That would include laptops too but yeah gap is huge.

Not only that but Intel about to release some great gaming cpu's that should beat out AMDs offering especially if they price it well.

Not saying you are wrong, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The report is about a quarterly figure while the steam survey includes every single PC of the last decade(s) that participate in the survey. This also disapproves the other posters claim that only AMD enthusiasts would benchmark their system (or participate in hardware surveys)

And until Intel doesn't get away from the bigger silicon, they will never take back the crown. sure, they could release a paper tiger with awesome stats but because od the size of the silicon it would probably be in very short supply.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
So what you're essentially saying is that it's nonesense and comes straight out of someone's rear bottom as to why suddenly the only reason AMD is ahead is because enthusiasts (who are a tiny fraction of the market) are doing benchmark enmasse

Pfew, INTEL saved

It's kind of hilarious how you went full sarcasm (in a pretty rude and dismissive way) and you are totally wrong.
Yes, AMD is not even close to Intel market share right now. The user you are arguing against isn't saying anything dumb, he's correct.
This website is such a small percentage of the actual market it's ridiculous people actually think AMD has 50% share on desktop computers right now.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
And here's some much more realistic numbers, courtesy of Steam Hardware survey: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

Of course, this is everything, desktop and laptop combined so the numbers are going to be a bit more skewed towards Intel, but a 75/25 split overall between Intel and AMD is still huge.

That being said, AMD definitely is capturing more market share back, and I honestly believe that in the next 5 years they truly will be ahead

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any sign that Intel might work towards not requiring a new motherboard each new chip? Also to stop locking out motherboard features based on the tier of chip you have? That's what I want them to do to compete as well.

There will probably be a lot of advancement in motherboards over the next few years. DDR5, PCI-E 5, and USB 4 are all supposed to be coming to consumer parts within the next 2 years. With DDR5 I expect we will see speeds increase with the first few generations of products.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure people will be as concerned with holding onto old motherboards across multiple generations of CPUs the way they were in the past few years when changes to Intel boards were pretty incremental.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
If they've told me this a few years ago I never would've believe it. How the migty have fallen. Mad props to AMD.
Next to beat : Nvidia!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I might go AMD for my next build. Apparently they even beat Intel's single thread performance on their latest CPUs? Wow if true.

Nov 2, 2017

If you only care about gaming the 5600x is the way to go. The 5800x is way overpriced and terrible value imo. The pricepoint of the 5800x is the big reason I delayed my build for a couple of months. 480-500ā‚¬ for an 8C CPU is just crazy.

The 5800x is in the same terrible product category as the 3800x & 3800xt were except there is no "3700x" you can buy right now for Zen 3. Hopefully this will correct itself in a couple of months when Intel releases Rocket Lake. AMD will have to release a 5700x to compete with the 11700k.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There will probably be a lot of advancement in motherboards over the next few years. DDR5, PCI-E 5, and USB 4 are all supposed to be coming to consumer parts within the next 2 years. With DDR5 I expect we will see speeds increase with the first few generations of products.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure people will be as concerned with holding onto old motherboards across multiple generations of CPUs the way they were in the past few years when changes to Intel boards were pretty incremental.
It's understandable to require a motherboard update to make use of CPUs that require something like DDR5, just like we did for DDR4 coming from DDR3, but to require a new motherboard going from intel chip to intel chip with no major tech change just makes me never want to upgrade until something like DDR5 is out because I have to change the whole motherboard just to support the new chip.

I would have upgraded to a newer intel chip a long time ago, but the only thing I'd gain for buying the new motherboard is the ability to upgrade the chip. I doubt I'd even be able to take advantage of NVMe gen 4.0.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you only care about gaming the 5600x is the way to go. The 5800x is way overpriced and terrible value imo. The pricepoint of the 5800x is the big reason I delayed my build for a couple of months. 480-500ā‚¬ for an 8C CPU is just crazy.

The 5800x is in the same terrible product category as the 3800x & 3800xt were except there is no "3700x" you can buy right now for Zen 3. Hopefully this will correct itself in a couple of months when Intel releases Rocket Lake. AMD will have to release a 5700x to compete with the 11700k.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I have a planned build/upgrade later in the year, so hopefully in a few months when 11th gen intel is out and nVidia's GPUs are actually purchasable will be a good time to build.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Props to AMD for never giving up and showing hard work pays off eventually. AMD was always playing catch up and Intel has only themselves to blame. Now only if they could do something about Nvidia. Nvidia needs a kick in the ass too.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I would have jumped into the Ryzen train for my itx build 2 years ago if the chip didn't have such high tdps and didn't require more expensive motherboards than Intel. Intel can still save face if they offer cheaper alternatives.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I might go AMD for my next build. Apparently they even beat Intel's single thread performance on their latest CPUs? Wow if true.
Well, yeah, not a lot to beat considering that Intel's current desktop lineup is still based on Skylake from 2015.
This year with RKL and ADL should be really interesting.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Loving my 1700 and 1050ti (going "mildly strong" since 2017 ;-) )....yeah, I don't game on my PC. But it is great for all I use it for.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But it also doesn't capture all the AMD cpus in "machines for businesses, schools, and other more casual users of pre-built machines" so I don't really understand your point.

How many AMD cpus are actually going in computers in those places? I have to imagine its a pretty small percentage. Out of the hundreds of computers I've used in multiple schools and jobs, all of them were Intel. Probably all low spec i3 and i5 machines, or at least all the ones I've checked.

Its possible things have changed in the past couple years, but I've yet to see an AMD powered Dell Optiplex or HP Elite or whatever equivalent desktop.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Right now AMD is a very good choice but we haven't seen a fresh Intel design in ages. It's not just about laziness on Intel's part, their new cores depended on 10 nm availability and we all know what happened to that.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Rocking AMD CPUs since Duron 700. Nice to see you guys seeing the light and catching up :))

Feb 16, 2018
never thought i'd see it, but competition is nice

although idk how representative benchmarking software is compared to market share

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've been diehard intel for a long time and I still want to see where they land when they finally get pcie4 support. But I've been browsing AMD in the meantime which is crazy and a testament to how far they've come relative to intel's continuous fumbles.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
How many AMD cpus are actually going in computers in those places? I have to imagine its a pretty small percentage. Out of the hundreds of computers I've used in multiple schools and jobs, all of them were Intel. Probably all low spec i3 and i5 machines, or at least all the ones I've checked.

Its possible things have changed in the past couple years, but I've yet to see an AMD powered Dell Optiplex or HP Elite or whatever equivalent desktop.

You're asking questions no one has an answer to besides Intel and AMD. At the end of the day there's no point making assumptions with no data to back them up, the factual data here shows AMD taking a lead in the Desktop space, until there is more information anything else is pure speculation.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't be happier about finally getting back into the PC world after 20-ish years and investing in the X570 platform. Went from a 3950X to a 5950X and love that I now have a single core AND multi core king CPU and am sticking it to Intel at the same time.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It would be nice if the title got updated to match reality, instead of a lot of people jumping to conclusions. šŸ˜›

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
seems like a long time coming. haven't they been better than intel since they came out with the ryzen 5 3600?

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
When I built my PC like 5 years ago, it had an Intel CPU (i5 6600K) and an AMD GPU (R9 390). Now, after some upgrades, it has an AMD CPU (R9 5900X) and an Nvidia GPU (RTX 2070). I'm really happy that AMD continues to challenge Intel, Ryzen CPU's are fantastic. Hoping they also push their GPU's. Thanks to DLSS I prefer Nvidia's products right now though.