• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Benchmarking giant PassMark Software's latest results for Q1 2021 show AMD taking a 50.8 percent share of the worldwide desktop CPU market, leaving Intel with 49.2 percent. The last time team red went ahead was way back in in Q1 2006, though its 53.9 percent lead back then lasted only a single quarter.
techspot

2021-01-04-image-5-j.webp

Of course AMD is still behind in laptops and servers especially, but it's great to finally have someone knock off intel from their top place for once even if it's just in a single category.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well deserved. I love my Zen 3 CPU, the single threaded performance increase is just unreal being used to Intel doing absolutely nothing each gen

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was a staunch intel person for the longest time, went to a 3600x in the Fall and never looked back.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I went with intel for my recent build since AMD cpu's are currently extremely supply constraint and even a 3600 was overpriced as hell. I think that is actually an indication they are doing VERY well.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Mad props to AMD for getting that marketshare back.

Now they need to do it with their GPUs, too. Competition is good.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Ryzen is pretty much the goto right now so yeah makes sense. It used to be Intel for ages and during that period, nothing really changed for the longest time.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Deserved, intel resting on their laurels for some years now, Ryzen is Godlike.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Neat. I'm guessing people who run AMD processors are more likely to run benchmark apps, since more of them are enthusiasts. All the same, AMD has definitely made up a lot of ground.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
Neat. I'm guessing people who run AMD processors are more likely to run benchmark apps, since more of them are enthusiasts. All the same, AMD has definitely made up a lot of ground.

Curious what you've based that on? Might as well say everyone with a car must also be an F1 racer.. because they own a car...

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason to buy Intel as a Desktop user.

Its funny that here the only reason to buy intel is created because....there is no reason to buy intel. And because of that, the demand of ryzen cpu's is so high here that the prices increased, suddenly making intel products better in price/performance again.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not nonsense, do you have any idea how many prebuilts carry Intel CPUs and land in schools, military or offices big and small?
Why would someone doing an AMD build be MORE LIKELY to run a benchmark?

Especially since the enthusiast crowd has always been Intel's?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017

Enthusiast crowds tend to select CPU with better price/performance ratios and AMD has been winning here for some time. On the other hand, check the offer of the biggest OEMs and compare how many computers they have with Intel CPUs compared to AMDs.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've bought both in the past couple years. More Ryzen than Intel. I was planning a Ryzen 3 8c/16t processor for my main system, but I was floored when the price was $130-$150 more than I was expecting. So I got a 9900k system since they were going for so little.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Enthusiast crowds tend to select CPU with better price/performance rations and AMD has been winning here for some time. On the other hand, check the offer of the biggest OEMs and compare how many computers they have with Intel CPUs compared to AMDs.
So what you're essentially saying is that it's nonesense and comes straight out of someone's rear bottom as to why suddenly the only reason AMD is ahead is because enthusiasts (who are a tiny fraction of the market) are doing benchmark enmasse

Pfew, INTEL saved

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Benchmarking giant PassMark Software's latest results for Q1 2021 show AMD taking a 50.8 percent share of the worldwide desktop CPU market, leaving Intel with 49.2 percent. The last time team red went ahead was way back in in Q1 2006, though its 53.9 percent lead back then lasted only a single quarter.
techspot

2021-01-04-image-5-j.webp

Of course AMD is still behind in laptops and servers especially, but it's great to finally have someone knock off intel from their top place for once even if it's just in a single category.

Is it me or is the chart just vertically flipped?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
So what you're essentially saying is that it's nonesense and comes straight out of someone's rear bottom as to why suddenly the only reason AMD is ahead is because enthusiasts (who are a tiny fraction of the market) are doing benchmark enmasse

Pfew, INTEL saved
Enthusiast benchmark their rigs and since AMD is popular again within the enthusiast circles, it obvious it will get more popular here.
Intel is massive, it's not going anywhere anytime soon and it won't go unless OEMs carry more prebuilts using AMD CPUs. It's that simple.

Oct 29, 2017

Enthusiast defined as people who want the fastest CPU, sure, but they seem to mean enthusiast defined as anyone who would build a desktop themselves. There are more intel prebuilds than AMD ones from HP, Dell, Acer, etc and those people specifically are the ones that are less likely to be running benchmarks.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Curious what you've based that on? Might as well say everyone with a car must also be an F1 racer.. because they own a car...

No, of course some people who run AMD processors aren't enthusiasts and wouldn't be any more likely than an intel user to run a benchmark. I'm really just making the banal point that this data doesn't capture all the intel CPUs going into the machines for businesses, schools, and other more casual users of pre-built machines. Those are the users who are less likely to run a benchmark app.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Intel = resting on its laurels for decades

It's only going to get worse as ARM and others produce their own CPUs (ie apple)

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
My Ryzen 2600x is still serving me well and when I do upgrade I am going AMD again without a second thought.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I was an AMD man until I was not and then I was an Intel man until I was not.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
That's great to hear. I remember trying to build a computer years ago and Intel was the only real option but prices were insane. Now I hope the same thing happens with GPU's, once supplies meet demand of course.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
PassMark notes that its data is made up of thousands of PerformanceTest benchmark results and, as its software only runs on Windows OS, the charts do not reflect non-Windows users.

This is what you base your entire article on, website?

What is next, the 3080 is the most used GPU because it is the one that released recently and has the most recent benchmarkings on?