• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
www.techpowerup.com

AMD to Introduce Adaptive Undervolting to Precision Boost Overdrive for Ryzen 5000

AMD has announced they will be introducing Adaptive Undervolting tools for their precision Boost Overdrive software, available for the latest Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. This feature will be made available come launch of AGESA 1180 on 400-series and 500-series motherboards (estimated availability in...

AMD has announced they will be introducing Adaptive Undervolting tools for their precision Boost Overdrive software, available for the latest Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. This feature will be made available come launch of AGESA 1180 on 400-series and 500-series motherboards (estimated availability in early December), and will require a BIOS update to enable at the software level. According to AMD, this tool will dynamically calculate the precise amount of voltage required for a given task, analyzing internal sensors (such as workload, temperature, socket limits) and adapting voltage values on the fly at up to 1000 times a second.

AMD says that enabling this feature could lead to up to 2% higher single-thread performance and up to 10% higher multithread performance, as lower temperatures enable the CPU to more aggressively Boost under these conditions. According to AMD, this undervolting technique shows higher gains the higher number of CCDs (and thusly, of cores) that a given CPU has available in silicon.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
"Adaptive Undervolting tools for their precision Boost Overdrive software" is a hell of a word salad.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I wonder if this is going to be the new default. If not, what are the downsides? In general I'm not a huge fan of automatic features having disclaimers about system stability, hopefully this is different.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So just to clear this up, this doesn't require any special software to be running and just needs the PBO option turned on in BIOS correct?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't really kept up, but how's availability for the Zen 3 chips? I know availability for the new GPUs has been a clusterfuck.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't understand any advantage this has over just finding the max stable undervolt yourself, then just leaving it there.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand any advantage this has over just finding the max stable undervolt yourself, then just leaving it there.
The "max" undervolt isn't necessarily the max in every situation, so this could theoretically have a higher undervolt in some workloads, while keeping the UV lower in others so you don't get any crashing.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The "max" undervolt isn't necessarily the max in every situation, so this could theoretically have a higher undervolt in some workloads, while keeping the UV lower in others so you don't get any crashing.
One typically tests the stability of the undvervolt with an extended test that runs the heaviest workload possible though, to avoid crashing in all scenarios.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
One typically tests the stability of the undvervolt with an extended test that runs the heaviest workload possible though, to avoid crashing in all scenarios.
I know that, and that's my point. Some workloads can undervolt further than that stable setting, so you'd get a performance boost by having it be adaptive.

Aug 30, 2020

It's so all customers can benefit from the same performance curve as enthusiasts.

It's an interesting paradigm. My 3080 performs faster and cooler undervolted, even while running at lower clocks. I see the new AMD GPUs do, and with this article so do AMD CPUs... It's a brave new world. Slower is faster.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

And that's the problem, the heaviest load possible will likely require higher voltages than a lighter load would, so by using that as your barometer for stability, you're leaving perf on the table.

It's actually what the PS5 does.