• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
238914ossu1.jpg

We finally see more* mobile Ryzen 7/5 not only that but we also have Radeon + Nvidia Graphics o_O.

Red and Green in one consumer laptop without any tricks or eGPU docks. The Asus X570ZD laptop will be the first to incorporate a Ryzen 7 2700U APU with integrated Vega 10 graphics and a dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 GPU for more demanding tasks like gaming. AMD is promising the graphics switching technology to be seamless not unlike the current implementation of Nvidia Optimus on Intel-powered laptops. Prices, SKUs, and availability are all still under wraps for now.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-w...-time-ever-with-the-Asus-X570ZD.307982.0.html

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Beer Capital of the World
Not going to upgrade to the 32 core Threadripper, but darn if AMD isn't make it hard not to want to. I can't wait to see what Threadripper on 7nm will look like. I can see the Epyc 64 core part tickling down eventually in part or in whole. It'd be interesting to see the normal Ryzen 2 maxing out 16 cores as well.

--

In other news, I did pick up an Acer Swift 3 with the Ryzen 2700U w/ Vega 10 and it's a pretty decent system for what it is. Initially I was kind of disappointed, but with some tweaking of game settings it's not a bad travel gaming system at all. Only issue I've had so far with it is that the drivers aren't combined yet with the regular Radeon releases, so I have to wait for Acer to drop them and they haven't for a couple months now.

Kenpachii

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
So basically its a noctua d15 cooler that i already have now for multiple years with black paint on it.

Also 300w, is going to be a hell., that's exactly twice the heat my current cpu is outputting and frankly its torture in the summer already. So unless you got a well cooled room to put this thing in or like high airco bills avoid at all costs.

Also the price is probably going to be insanely high.

So yea, nice test dummy, but that's it.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Alright, I'm looking to upgrade my Ryxen 1800x heatsink. I'm usually good about this all, but there are's so many options now, asking for assistance seems to be the best way to go. I really don't want to go AIO as I've had issues in the past with some of them being loud, but I haven't ruled them out. My main concern is cooling and this Hyper 212 ain't cutting it anymore. Idling, it sits at 45-50c, under load, it hits 70-75c. Sure, my thermal paste may need to be redone, but I feel it's time for this cooler to go.

These would be going into a Fractal R5 Define, with 1 exhaust and two intakes on the front. So far I'm looking at the following;

• Noctua NH D15
  • BE QUIET! PURE ROCK 3 Pro
  • BE QUIET! PURE ROCK 4 Pro
  • NZXT X62
  • Corsair H110i
Any thoughts on these? Looking to pull the trigger today, so I can play with it this weekend.

TheNerdyOne

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'm looking to upgrade my Ryxen 1800x heatsink. I'm usually good about this all, but there are's so many options now, asking for assistance seems to be the best way to go. I really don't want to go AIO as I've had issues in the past with some of them being loud, but I haven't ruled them out. My main concern is cooling and this Hyper 212 ain't cutting it anymore. Idling, it sits at 45-50c, under load, it hits 70-75c. Sure, my thermal paste may need to be redone, but I feel it's time for this cooler to go.

These would be going into a Fractal R5 Define, with 1 exhaust and two intakes on the front. So far I'm looking at the following;

• Noctua NH D15
  • NZXT X62
  • Corsair H110i
Any thoughts on these? Looking to pull the trigger today, so I can play with it this weekend.

i wouldn't bother spending $150 on an X62 for an 1800X, when, even with a 4ghz overclock, something like the $70 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9...0-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d24m-a20pw-r1 masterliquid 240 will do you just fine for a lot less. If you want to go liquid, that's my best reccomendation to you for an affordable way to get it done. Other than that, if you're going with an air cooler you need to make sure it includes an am4 bracket in the box, or be prepared to have to order one separately. there's a D15s AM4 edition that includes it, but only comes with one fan not two.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017

• Noctua NH D15
  • NZXT X62
  • Corsair H110i
Check HardOCP's cooler reviews, since they use an overclocked Ryzen 1700(X)/1800X as their cooler test platform. They've found that a number of coolers that work well for Intel systems suck ass on Ryzen systems, partly due to having convex base plates.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

• Noctua NH D15
  • NZXT X62
  • Corsair H110i
Is that taking the 20℃ offset for an X-series CPU into account?
I don't have a recent photo of things after they were tidied up a bit (slim SATA cables are so much nicer) but here's what the NH-D15 SE AM4 is like in a Fractal Define R5:
system-interior2m2sw3.jpg

It typically idles around 25℃ and reaches 50-55℃ under load (which may read as 45/70 depending on the tool you use) but ambient temperatures do affect that.
I'd say that the NH-D15 is almost too big though. It's significantly larger than the older NH-D14.
As you can see, it sits very close to the GPU, and will block you from using anything but the smallest PCIe cards in that first slot.
That makes it pretty awkward to remove the fan clips or the GPU, since there's a lock on the end of the PCIe slot obscured by the fan. I have to get a wire and hook it onto the fan clip to release it.
I'd maybe look into the NH-D15S, which I think is offset vertically, plus an AM4 mounting kit, instead of the SE AM4 edition. Back when I built the system, this was the only option.

Other than that, it does its job and I'll always choose a big air cooler over there being a risk of a leak killing hardware in the system.
I don't care about whether the warranty covers all your hardware or not - some hardware is not replaceable, and it's a hassle that I don't want to deal with.

My old i5-2500K system still has an NH-D14 in it and while it's not in constant use, I do still boot it up from time-to-time.
If that used a closed-loop liquid cooler, it would be past its warranty period by now.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Check HardOCP's cooler reviews, since they use an overclocked Ryzen 1700(X)/1800X as their cooler test platform. They've found that a number of coolers that work well for Intel systems suck ass on Ryzen systems, partly due to having convex base plates.

Those are some crazy ass voltages they run.

I picked up a 2700 about a week ago (newegg through ebay coupon deal for 204 dollars). I've been planning on using my 212 (have a conversion kit already) and never heard about this being an issue before. Yeah, it's a little less effective than the Cryorig, but I've never heard they sucked with AMD before. Every bench I've ever seen has shown it trouncing the stock AMD coolers (maybe not saying much... but still shows it's not being crippled by the base plate).

So does anyone else have an opinion on this? Definitely not going to push the 2700 to its limits. GamerNexus had a good video showing how insane the voltages scaled up for those last couple Mhz. Was hoping I could run at a pretty reasonable voltage at 4.1Ghz. GamerNexus may have had golden samples, but they were able to do 4.1 @ 1.2625 volts. That type of voltage is entirely reasonable for the 212, no? I have zero intention of turning my cpu into a 200 watt pig (nor would I expect the 212 to be able to cool that kind of wattage).

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
The new AGESA for X399 motherboards is rolling out with support for Threadripper 2 CPUs.

Guru3D —Thermalright Launches Silver Arrow TR4 Cooler For Ryzen Threadripper

Thermalright — Silver Arrow TR4

With a maximum cooling capacity of 320 watts, the Silver Arrow TR4 is the perfect cooler for the high-end CPUs.

To ensure the best possible compatibility with motherboards and housings, the aluminum fins of the Silver Arrow TR4 are offset. This design ensures that the top PCIe slot on ATX motherboards is not blocked by the cooler. On the other side, the cooler does not protrude beyond standard ATX motherboards, which also eliminates incompatibilities with ceiling-mounted fans or power supplies installed on the top of the enclosure. With an installation height of 163 mm, the Silver Arrow TR4 can be accommodated in many compact Midi Towers.

VideoCardz — Gigabyte X399 AORUS Extreme officially supports 32-core Threadripper

ThinkComputers — Gigabyte X399 AORUS Extreme Motherboard First To List Support For AMD Ryzen Threadripper 32 Core Processor

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got a 2200G, that I paired with a Gigabyte GTX 980ti on a Gigabyte AB350N mini ITX. I wanted to wait for a B450 mini ITX there didn't seem to be much movement on that front sadly so I went for the previous generation as I didn't want to pay a premium for a useless X470.

The goal was to have assembled something that works, while patiently waiting like a couple of years or more and replace it with a more powerful version without hassle. And so far I'm quite happy with it! I'm not a demanding PC gamer, it works very well with the games I wanted to use it with: The Witness, Dreamfall Chapters, and Quake Champions. I need to get Doom.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
VideoCardz — AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X listed for 2400 Canadian Dollars

A new listing of upcoming 32-core behemoth from AMD has emerged. At CanadaComptuers you will find Threadripper 2990X listed for 2399 CAD, which is around 1850 USD. This isn't actually the first listing of this new processor. Almost exactly a month ago it was listed by Cybersport for 1509 EUR. Therefore, it may be safe to assume that the next flagship model will cost either exactly or slightly more than 1500 USD.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_1210_64&item_id=123917

AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990WX-YD299XAZAFWOF.jpg

AMD-Threadripper-2990X-32-core.png

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so stupid "I know nothing about this" question alert:

How does the latest high-end Ryzen 7 compare to Intel's i7 and i9 processors? Looking to upgrade to a new gaming laptop soon, within a month or so, and unsure whether to switch back to AMD/Radeon and opt for Ryzen or just go with an i9/Nvidia super-machine. I would have thought with the branding here Ryzen 7 would be comparable to the i7 - correct? Or am I off the mark here?

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
How does the latest high-end Ryzen 7 compare to Intel's i7 and i9 processors? Looking to upgrade to a new gaming laptop soon, within a month or so, and unsure whether to switch back to AMD/Radeon and opt for Ryzen or just go with an i9/Nvidia super-machine. I would have thought with the branding here Ryzen 7 would be comparable to the i7 - correct? Or am I off the mark here?
AMD so far has been swift with price reductions whenever Intel released new chips so following rule has been true so far: At the same price point AMD offers more performance than Intel and at the same performance point AMD is significantly cheaper than Intel. The big difference so far is that Intel chips clock higher (5GHz vs 4.2GHz) so they have superior single thread performance.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
AMD so far has been swift with price reductions whenever Intel released new chips so following rule has been true so far: At the same price point AMD offers more performance than Intel and at the same performance point AMD is significantly cheaper than Intel. The big difference so far is that Intel chips clock higher (5GHz vs 4.2GHz) so they have superior single thread performance.

Thanks for this dude! Yeah I was checking out PassMark earlier and was shocked to see that a Ryzen 7 scored higher than an i9. Seems like they're good tech. Might opt for a Ryzen then, though looking around they're not that widely available in gaming laptops just yet, but then again neither are the i9s. Looks like AMD did good this time round. Amazing processors.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Paying attention to the new AMD offerings and am getting interested in having it possibly as a replacement for my i9-7920X. Right now I have it watercooled and clocked to 4.6GHz, but it's a gigantic pain in the ass as it's still not silent.

I still game at 1080p for max framerates, but I'm curious to see what would happen to my frames if I traded it for the new Threadripper, or a similar new Ryzen.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this dude! Yeah I was checking out PassMark earlier and was shocked to see that a Ryzen 7 scored higher than an i9. Seems like they're good tech. Might opt for a Ryzen then, though looking around they're not that widely available in gaming laptops just yet, but then again neither are the i9s. Looks like AMD did good this time round. Amazing processors.
For laptops pay attention to their supported TDP. Performance of laptops usually doesn't depend on the chips used but on the TDP the laptop body is capable of handling, often throttling the CPU to much lower performance levels if it can't handle the heat. Ryzen chips in laptops unfortunately are not supported very well (like e.g. HP 15-db0500ng limiting a 12-25W Ryzen Mobile chip to mere 6W [German review]...). Also be sure that the configuration has two banks to make use of dual channel RAM.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of building a small form factor threadripper pc for my next build.
I realize that there are other reasons to buy a high core count CPU, but buying a platform with all those PCIe lanes and not only doing nothing with them, but building a system that can't even use them, will always be disappointing to me.
But then again, I'm using all the lanes available in my Ryzen build and would prefer to have more, which I realize is not that common. For most people, the only use is going to be GPUs and NVMe SSDs I suppose.

Okay so stupid "I know nothing about this" question alert:

At the moment, I would stick with Intel if you are only concerned with gaming performance.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that there are other reasons to buy a high core count CPU, but buying a platform with all those PCIe lanes and not only doing nothing with them, but building a system that can't even use them, will always be disappointing to me.
But then again, I'm using all the lanes available in my Ryzen build and would prefer to have more, which I realize is not that common. For most people, the only use is going to be GPUs and NVMe SSDs I suppose.
It's a weird one. For me ideally I'd just have a gpu and a thunderbolt card (for an apollo twin audio interface). Gaming and audio basically. What's weird is I could pay a few hundred pounds more and get a skull canyon, which actually has insane I/O for its size, and could affectively achieve the same thing with expansion, and have a respectable cpu to boot.

OP
OP
·feist·

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
19.png

Hardware.info (US) — B450 Comparison table

AnandTech — Analyzing B450 for AMD Ryzen: A Quick Look at 25+ Motherboards

Motherboards in This Overview

1.ASRock B450 Gaming K4
2.ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac
3.ASRock B450 Pro4
4.ASRock B450M Pro4
5.ASRock B450M-HDV
6.ASUS Strix B450-F Gaming
7.ASUS Strix B450-I Gaming
8.ASUS TUF B450-Plus Gaming
9.ASUS TUF B450M-Plus Gaming
10.ASUS Prime B450-Plus
11.ASUS Prime B450M-K
12.GIGABYTE B450 Aorus M
13.GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Elite
14.GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro
15.GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro WiFi
16.GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
17.MSI B450 Gaming Plus
18.MSI B450M Gaming Plus
19.MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
20.MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC
21.MSI B450 Tomahawk
22.MSI B450M Bazooka
23.MSI B450M Bazooka Plus
24.MSI B450M Mortar
25.MSI B450M Mortar Titanium
26.MSI B450-A Pro
27.MSI B450M Pro-M2
28.MSI B450M Pro-VDH
29.Choosing the Right B450 Motherboard

amd-am4-chipsetsn9c33.png

PC Games Hardware [YouTube] — AMD B450 analysiert | AM4-Mainboards für Ryzen-2000-CPUs [GERMAN]

Tech ARP [YouTube] — The Official AMD B450 Chipset Tech Briefing

Hardware Unboxed [YouTube] — B450 VRM Temp Test: Asus & Gigabyte Disappoint!

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Don't they still have superior single thread performance even at the same clock speeds?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Is an R7 1700 still a good chip to use these days? How big of a performance difference does 0.4 GHz account for?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is an R7 1700 still a good chip to use these days? How big of a performance difference does 0.4 GHz account for?
It's still a very good CPU but whether it's the right choice for you depends on what kind of workload you'd be using it for. Intel still performs best in gaming.
400MHz would be ~10% faster. The bigger difference is the improved integrated memory controller (IMC) in the second-generation Ryzen CPUs, which has better support for fast RAM.
You can get at least another 10-15% of performance on top of the clockspeed when using something like 3600MT/s RAM vs 2666MT/s - though it may not always apply directly to game performance.
I was able to get two sticks of 3600MT/s Samsung B-die stable on my 1700X/Crosshair VI Hero, but that was not common. 2666MT/s is all that can be guaranteed for the first-generation CPUs.

One of the main benefits of Ryzen for me was its ECC support though, and the fastest ECC memory you can get is still only rated for 2666MT/s.
I've tried overclocking it, but while I have Crucial sticks that use Micron B-die, I can't get anything faster than 2666MT/s to be 100% stable on my 1700X even though it will complete benchmarks at those speeds.
My current plan is to keep the 1700X for now and upgrade to a 3700X once they are available next year, as I think that's supposed to be the last generation which will support AM4.
After that, Intel and AMD should be moving to new platforms which support PCIe 4 (or 5) and DDR5 memory and I'll be building a new system then, using whatever is fastest for gaming. I'm happy with my 1700X for non-gaming tasks, but am concerned about how it will handle a faster GPU than my 1070.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
To add to what Pargon said,. Zen+ also have a much improved Extended Frequency Range(XFR) Zen+ XFR² increases the frequency across all cores automatically instead of just one like original Zen cores.

Basically, the 2xxx series automatically overclock themselves if they determine your cooling is good enough.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm thinking about upgrading to a Ryzen 2700X and it comes with a cooler. Is that cooler a viable solution or is it as bad as boxed coolers back then?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I've ordered a Lenovo Yoga 14", with Ryzen 5 and Vega 8. It's only single-channel memory (8GB) from what I've gathered, but should make for a great student pc.

I'm strangely excited to try it next week! My current laptop, a Thinkpad, is six years old.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking about upgrading to a Ryzen 2700X and it comes with a cooler. Is that cooler a viable solution or is it as bad as boxed coolers back then?
It's quite viable as a cooler. You'd only need to replace it if you want to do higher voltage overclocking or want to get a little more omph/tweak the boost mode/performance boost overdrive. Even then, the necessity of a replacement depends on the air flow of the case.

I went ahead and got an AIO so I could maximize PBO, but the original cooler was shown to work well in benchmarks. I did sell my cooler on eBay for like $40 so it doesn't have to go to waste if you decide to go with an AIO cooler.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they still have superior single thread performance even at the same clock speeds?
Yes, IPC wise Intel is ahead but not by that much (commonly it is said to be 7% off of Intel's). Always depends on the workload. Going by Cinebench results the difference is pretty small (one thread at 2.8GHz, by Sweclocker). Add to that that performance of Intel chips is being penalized more by Spectre/Meltdown mitigation and one needs to look closer at the specific workloads.

As far as boxed coolers go it pretty great good deal actually, all Ryzen coolers are serviceable, and Wraith Prism is the best of them (has good resale value if you want to get a better cooler). One can improve 2700X's heat by setting the CPU voltage lower instead at auto, and at stock the cooler is noisier than necessary (tweaking the fan curve helps).

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It's still a very good CPU but whether it's the right choice for you depends on what kind of workload you'd be using it for. Intel still performs best in gaming.
400MHz would be ~10% faster. The bigger difference is the improved integrated memory controller (IMC) in the second-generation Ryzen CPUs, which has better support for fast RAM.
You can get at least another 10-15% of performance on top of the clockspeed when using something like 3600MT/s RAM vs 2666MT/s - though it may not always apply directly to game performance.
I was able to get two sticks of 3600MT/s Samsung B-die stable on my 1700X/Crosshair VI Hero, but that was not common. 2666MT/s is all that can be guaranteed for the first-generation CPUs.

One of the main benefits of Ryzen for me was its ECC support though, and the fastest ECC memory you can get is still only rated for 2666MT/s.
I've tried overclocking it, but while I have Crucial sticks that use Micron B-die, I can't get anything faster than 2666MT/s to be 100% stable on my 1700X even though it will complete benchmarks at those speeds.
My current plan is to keep the 1700X for now and upgrade to a 3700X once they are available next year, as I think that's supposed to be the last generation which will support AM4.
After that, Intel and AMD should be moving to new platforms which support PCIe 4 (or 5) and DDR5 memory and I'll be building a new system then, using whatever is fastest for gaming. I'm happy with my 1700X for non-gaming tasks, but am concerned about how it will handle a faster GPU than my 1070.

I'm looking for streaming while gaming (and I already have a B350 mobo with an R3 so I can't switch to Intel) and I understand Ryzen to be much better at multicore processing.

I have DDR4-3000 RAM, is that incompatible with the 1700?

To add to what Pargon said,. Zen+ also have a much improved Extended Frequency Range(XFR) Zen+ XFR² increases the frequency across all cores automatically instead of just one like original Zen cores.

Basically, the 2xxx series automatically overclock themselves if they determine your cooling is good enough.

So, invest in an aftermarket cooler?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for streaming while gaming (and I already have a B350 mobo with an R3 so I can't switch to Intel) and I understand Ryzen to be much better at multicore processing.
If you have an R3 then dropping in an R5 or R7 CPU is the obvious choice for an upgrade.
I have DDR4-3000 RAM, is that incompatible with the 1700?
It depends on the motherboard and the silicon lottery really.