• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had time to keep up. Has anyone done any emulation testing?
I don't know of any properly done tests, but I have some personal ones with RPCS3, which feels like the most CPU demanding emulator I've dealt with. I went from an i5 6600k+GTX 1070 to a Ryzen 5 5600X+RTX 3080.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - Chugged hard on my old setup. With this being a fighter, I would consider that unplayable. On my new rig, I have had no issues aside from stuttering on the startup splashes.
  • Persona 5 - Unplayable on my old rig. Solid 30FPS on my new one.
  • Demon's Souls - Really bad stuttering before. No issues now.
  • LittleBigPlanet - I did not try this on my old rig because I had just assumed it would run like crap. It runs well on my new setup.

Last edited:

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know of any properly done tests, but I have some personal ones with RPCS3, which feels like the most CPU demanding emulator I've dealt with. I went from an i5 6600k+GTX 1070 to a Ryzen 5 5600X+RTX 3080.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - Chugged hard on my old setup. With this being a setup, I would consider that unplayable. On my new rig, I have had no issues aside from stuttering on the startup splashes.
  • LittleBigPlanet - I did not try this on my old rig because I had just assumed it would run like crap. It runs well on my new setup.

Very interesting. If you ever have time, really curious to learn the Dolphin benchmark numbers.

[Unofficial] New Dolphin 5.0 CPU benchmark - results automatically updated!

DISCLAIMER: The purpose of this thread is to use Dolphin and luabench as a general CPU benchmark that can used to determine a CPU architecture's relative capabilities in emulation-based workloads; it

DeathMonk

Oct 28, 2017
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - Chugged hard on my old setup. With this being a fighter, I would consider that unplayable. On my new rig, I have had no issues aside from stuttering on the startup splashes.

Thanks!

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting. If you ever have time, really curious to learn the Dolphin benchmark numbers.

[Unofficial] New Dolphin 5.0 CPU benchmark - results automatically updated!

DISCLAIMER: The purpose of this thread is to use Dolphin and luabench as a general CPU benchmark that can used to determine a CPU architecture's relative capabilities in emulation-based workloads; it
I have never run this benchmark before, so I don't know how impressive this is, but here you go:
i8B19cF.png

Np. Also of note is that my 6600k was overclocked to 4.6GHz while my 5600X is running stock.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Back then, ECC was typically 2133 MT/s with faster options being 2400 MT/s.
I had to special-order 2666 MT/s unbuffered ECC and got the very first batch of it that came in - and this was the fastest memory that first-gen Ryzen officially supported.
I then overclocked it to 2933 MT/s, which is as fast as it would go - though I don't know if it could be pushed higher with another CPU, as first-gen Ryzen could not clock the memory so high.

You're.. overclocking ECC memory? You have some sort of ECC use-case I can't even imagine.

And I'm not too fond of using non-final, at-your-own-risk hardware.

Says the man who bravely overclocks ECC memory.

I think AMD dropping X370 (specifically) was a bad move, but I feel like you're really stretching to have things to be disappointed/angry with.

The reality is that if that X370 BIOS doesn't materlize, the extra cost to you is a cheap B450 board (i.e ~$100+). I have no doubt the eight-core plus (which would be the 5000-series CPUs you're looking at if you have a 1700x) will eventually come down in price enough to cover most of that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I just refreshed AMD's 5900x page I've had open for a couple days. Price changed from the usual to 716.78...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You're.. overclocking ECC memory? You have some sort of ECC use-case I can't even imagine.
Says the man who bravely overclocks ECC memory.
The error correction doesn't stop working when you overclock.
In fact it can be useful because it will report errors if you're pushing it too far.
Many people seem to push their overclocks to the point of instability without doing sufficient testing, but it's fine if you know what you're doing.

I think AMD dropping X370 (specifically) was a bad move, but I feel like you're really stretching to have things to be disappointed/angry with.

The reality is that if that X370 BIOS doesn't materlize, the extra cost to you is a cheap B450 board (i.e ~$100+). I have no doubt the eight-core plus (which would be the 5000-series CPUs you're looking at if you have a 1700x) will eventually come down in price enough to cover most of that.
Since this system is not just for gaming, I'm actually using all of the PCIe lanes and things like SATA ports on the specific layout of the Crosshair VI Hero. That means I can't just drop in the cheapest board, and require a higher-end one to make it work.

It's looking like I'll probably end up with a new build sooner than I was planning, rather than spending any more money on this system - unless I can drop in a new CPU without needing anything else.
I just don't see the value in replacing the motherboard (when a budget option is not suitable) without adding faster RAM, and I'm not doing a whole new build for the last CPU on this platform.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I upgraded from the 1302 BIOS to 2311, right before this beta BIOS dropped. I got endless BSODs before Windows told me my OS install was corupt and I had to reinstall.

ASUS needs to get their shit together on the BIOS side of things.

Curious, are you running your CPU at a constant clock speed and turning off C states?
Really? That's weird, 2311 has been rock solid for me.

I'm running my CPU 100% stock, only thing I did was enable virtualization support since I run some VM's.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? That's weird, 2311 has been rock solid for me.

I'm running my CPU 100% stock, only thing I did was enable virtualization support since I run some VM's.
Yeah I run virtualization on mine too for WSL2. Only weird thing with my setup aside from that is that I had test mode active for an unsigned hardware driver and I would boot with it in normal mode when I wouldn't need it, and then go back to test mode whenever I would need to use it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You can see here that read operations can be fully saturated by a single CCD, but write operations are split.
Which means that two CCDs have a higher peak memory bandwidth, which is what I've said. It does show up here and there but it's obviously minor enough to not matter much in the overall averages.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting this from the PC building thread:

In case any other Zen 3 upgraders have issues with the CPU debug LED on MSI boards, you should try to flash the AGESA 1.0.8.1 BIOS. Just wasted an evening trying to trouble shoot my build, but it seems MSI messed up software-wise in the latest BIOS update (doesn't affect every board, but I found reports about several board models). Will try it myself tomorrow.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Would you happen to have a link to those reports you were seeing? I have an MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi so I'm curious to see if that's affected.
Mostly just been browsing Reddit and seen these mentioned:
- x570 unify
- x570 tomahawk
- some unidentified b550
- b550 tomahawk
- b550 gaming plus
- b550 gaming carbon wifi

Again, doesn't seem to be all boards but perhaps batches of a bunch of models. I've been chatting with sb who is on a x570 unify as well and while he has other problems, his pc at least posts haha

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Which means that two CCDs have a higher peak memory bandwidth, which is what I've said. It does show up here and there but it's obviously minor enough to not matter much in the overall averages.
Right, the CPU is higher bandwidth overall, but not the individual CCDs. And if both are doing reads, that bandwidth is split between the two.
In the context of a game, where it's typically best to keep everything on one CCD, it's not a benefit.

It seems like AMD have greatly reduced the downsides of the higher core-count processors this time around, but I'd still expect the 5800X to do better in certain titles.
Hopefully Digital Foundry's review will shed more light on how much that matters, if at all.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody benched Arma on these things yet?
This is good to hear. I have a 5800x on the way and I was planning to emulate Demon's Souls (and maybe BOTW).

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Mostly just been browsing Reddit and seen these mentioned:
- x570 unify
- x570 tomahawk
- some unidentified b550
- b550 tomahawk
- b550 gaming plus
- b550 gaming carbon wifi

Again, doesn't seem to be all boards but perhaps batches of a bunch of models. I've been chatting with sb who is on a x570 unify as well and while he has other problems, his pc at least posts haha

Good to know, appreciate the info! Guess I'll find out when my 5800x comes in next week. Fingers crossed 🤞

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently, Zen3 has some special sauce that causes 4 sticks of RAM to outperform 2 sticks of the same capacity by 5-10%...

MrGlugi

Nov 13, 2017
So apparently, Zen3 has some special sauce that causes 4 sticks of RAM to outperform 2 sticks of the same capacity by 5-10%...

Currently I have 3900X with 32GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z CL17 (2x16GB), but I plan on getting 5900X and initially I thought about buying G.SKILL 32GB 4000MHz Trident Z Neo CL16 (2x16GB) (link to press release), because 4000MHz is a sweet spot for new Ryzens, right? I guess in this case it's better to shell out more and get the same sticks but 4x16GB?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Currently I have 3900X with 32GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z CL17 (2x16GB), but I plan on getting 5900X and initially I thought about buying G.SKILL 32GB 4000MHz Trident Z Neo CL16 (2x16GB) (link to press release), because 4000MHz is a sweet spot for new Ryzens, right? I guess in this case it's better to shell out more and get the same sticks but 4x16GB?

You're going to struggle to run even 2 sticks of 4000MHz memory on Zen 3 at rated speeds + equivalent IF bus, let alone 4.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. For some reason, on some situations, having more sticks is good here.

MrGlugi

Nov 13, 2017
You're going to struggle to run even 2 sticks of 4000MHz memory on Zen 3 at rated speeds + equivalent IF bus, let alone 4.
I'm sorry if it may sound stupid, but isn't it just plug and play situation? I mean, install 5900X, new RAM, change RAM profile in MOBO to 4000MHz (provided by RAM manufacturer) and that's it?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm sorry if it may sound stupid, but isn't it just plug and play situation? I mean, install 5900X, new RAM, change RAM profile in MOBO to 4000MHz (provided by RAM manufacturer) and that's it?

Unless you decouple IF bus speed from RAM speed, no - and in that case you'll incur a heavy performance penalty.

3800MHz is the usual cap for IF bus on Zen 2 and 3, per buildzoid and Tech Jesus.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
My usual expectation would be that more ranks is good for bandwidth. Presumably these results mean that for many tasks Zen 3 successfully overcomes any negative latency issues (hello huge cache) and can benefit from the increased memory bandwidth offered by rank interleaving.

More memory. Larger caches. More better.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, Ryzen uses something called Infinity Fabric, and when it runs at the same speed as the RAM (remember that it is DDR so real speed is half of the rated one) it is much better. So for 4000MHz ram the IF should be at 2000MHz, but that's really complicated.
Also, it seems latency is what really impacts performance, they had better performance with 3200MHz CL12 than with 3800Mhz CL16.
So I'd say get a reasonable low-latency 4x8 kit and that should be it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you decouple IF bus speed from RAM speed, no - and in that case you'll incur a heavy performance penalty.

3800MHz is the usual cap for IF bus on Zen 2 and 3, per buildzoid and Tech Jesus.

As per that AMD slide that was circulated earlier ("4000MT/s is to Zen 3 as 3800MT/s was to Zen 2" paraphrasing), they are hoping to be able to hit 2000 on the infinity fabric, and have said that they are working on firmware updates to make this more viable. How realistic that is remains to be seen, but Roman "Der8auer" got his 5950X to run with 4000MT/s memory at 1:1 during an overclocking stream.

He hasn't put up any english version of his video so I don't know the details, maybe it's only on XOC.

Last edited:

MrGlugi

Nov 13, 2017

Nope, Ryzen uses something called Infinity Fabric, and when it runs at the same speed as the RAM (remember that it is DDR so real speed is half of the rated one) it is much better. So for 4000MHz ram the IF should be at 2000MHz, but that's really complicated.
Also, it seems latency is what really impacts performance, they had better performance with 3200MHz CL12 than with 3800Mhz CL16.
So I'd say get a reasonable low-latency 4x8 kit and that should be it.

Thanks for the explanation! In this case best way to go would be 4x16GB 3800MHz (14-16-16-36) (G.SKILL press note), right? It seems that [email protected] RAM has the lowest timings, so I'd just buy two of those kits. I don't want to OC, so buying something different and then fiddling with timings and frequency is not an option.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You will definitely have trouble hitting 3800cl14 on 4 dimms. Those speeds are usually rated for 2 dimms - 4 stresses the IMC more, and 3800cl14 is already top-tier memory.

MrGlugi

Nov 13, 2017
I guess I'll run 5900X on my current sticks for some time and wait until January to see what's available on the market and what's the consensus on the number of sticks, timings and frequency for Zen 3. Thanks for all the replies :)

EDIT: Or maybe I should grab this right now? Getting way too excited with new hardware releases :D

Last edited:

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017

Wait for GN's followup video as Steve mentions 2x16GB is the actual sweetspot. I'm pretty sure what he's is seeing is dependent on the motherboard's memory topology (T vs daisy-chain) and what rank (single or dual) the ram sticks he's using are. Guru3D did a similar test with Zen 2 and got better performance with two sticks of dual rank memory.

www.guru3d.com

AMD Ryzen RAM scaling - performance effect in games

The impact of memory timings and frequency on AMD Ryzen 3000 systems in games has been a topic of discussion. In this artilcle we'll zoom in on specifically that. See, AMD made a change in 3rd gener... Games performance – Two or four DIMMs

Hopefully in the followup video, Steve explains all this so people don't assume 4 sticks > 2 sticks or vice versa.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Any more info on the possible 5800x temp issues people were reporting recently? I have one on pre-order but might cancel and switch to a 5900x if there are noticeably higher temps. I value temps quite a lot since I like quiet PCs.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
But then he concludes in the end that 2x16GB is actually the sweet spot? I don't know a lot about RAM, I'm a little lost here.

I think we need to see the benchmarks on that first before drawing any conclusions. This looks to be linked to dual ranked memory which we already knew helped a lot on Zen 2 due to the way it allows you to better utilise your available memory bandwidth. It looks like potentially Infinity fabric isn't as much of a bottleneck on the single chiplet designs this time around, which makes sense as there is no cross CCX communication over the infinity fabric. So memory latency and effective use of memory bandwidth become more important, making dual rank even more important.

Buildzoid has some good videos on dual rank memory but I think this is great overall. 4x8GB DIMMs are super cheap, and you can get something like Crucial Ballistix that will clock upto the max 4000mhz CL16/18 on Zen 3 for the price of 2x8GB Samsung B die and get similar/better performance due to then running in dual rank. You don't need to buy expensive memory to take advantage of these performance uplifts.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Software Optimization Guide for AMD Family 19h Processors. (zip)

"The processor contains 4 general purpose integer execution pipes. Each pipe has an ALU capable of general purpose integer operations. ALU1 additionally has multiply/CRC/PDEP/PEXT capability"

Seems like confirmation that Zen3 BMI2 instructions PDEP/PEXT are no longer ~10000x slower than on Skylake, like Zen 2 was.

Last edited:

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
I think we need to see the benchmarks on that first before drawing any conclusions. This looks to be linked to dual ranked memory which we already knew helped a lot on Zen 2 due to the way it allows you to better utilise your available memory bandwidth. It looks like potentially Infinity fabric isn't as much of a bottleneck on the single chiplet designs this time around, which makes sense as there is no cross CCX communication over the infinity fabric. So memory latency and effective use of memory bandwidth become more important, making dual rank even more important.

Buildzoid has some good videos on dual rank memory but I think this is great overall. 4x8GB DIMMs are super cheap, and you can get something like Crucial Ballistix that will clock upto the max 4000mhz CL16/18 on Zen 3 for the price of 2x8GB Samsung B die and get similar/better performance due to then running in dual rank. You don't need to buy expensive memory to take advantage of these performance uplifts.
If dual rank is the key then this gets even more confusing as at 23:49 of the video he specifically says that single rank 2x16GB is the best.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the explanation! In this case best way to go would be 4x16GB 3800MHz (14-16-16-36) (G.SKILL press note), right? It seems that [email protected] RAM has the lowest timings, so I'd just buy two of those kits. I don't want to OC, so buying something different and then fiddling with timings and frequency is not an option.

You'll need to "fiddle" with BIOS settings to get 3800mhz stable, especially with 4 DIMMS. If it's anything like Zen 2 you'll need to manually set 1:1 mode and you may need to adjust your IMC voltages. You're also leaving a lot of performance on the table if you do not tune your secondary and tertiary memory timings so there's really no way around some manual work of you want to maximize performance.

3600mhz is the limit of "set and forget" anything above that is likely going to require some amount of work to either get stable or avoid it leading to a performance penalty. At high clock speeds like 3800mhz, motherboard set secondary and tertiary timings can get very loose, so you may end up losing performance if you don't manually override them.

TLDR: If you're not prepared to manually tune your system stick to 3600mhz memory. Having said that, 4x8GB cheap 3600mhzCL16 should get you the majority of the low hanging fruit performance gains with dual rank doing a lot of the work.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
If dual rank is the key then this gets even more confusing as at 23:49 of the video he specifically says that single rank 2x16GB is the best.

Yeah, that really confused me for a few reasons:

Most 16GB DIMMs are dual rank.

If it's not dual rank then I really can't think of what else it could be, there's no practical difference between 2x8GB and 4x8GB if you're using less than 16GB of RAM other than dual rank.

Steve specifically mentioned interleaving causing the performance speed up, which is what happens with dual rank.

We really need a deep dive from Buildzoid to get to the buttom of this, I'm sure he'll be working on something.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Well there we go, it was the only conclusion that made sense really. So 2X16GB Dual Rank probably is the sweet spot due to it potentially putting less strain on the memory controller, however memory sticks very rarely specify the rank, so while it is unlikely that you'll get single rank sticks you may end up with them if you're unlucky.

Safest (and cheapest) way to guarantee the vast majority of the performance remains 4x8GB 3600mhzCL16 sticks as you'll not overpay on memory and you know you'll benefit from dual rank. Only caveat is to not buy 2 sets of something like Corsair Vengeance where you may be playing the memory IC lottery, as if your 2 kits have different memory ICs, you may run into issues.

I know I sound like a broken record but this point but this is why I continue to recommend Crucial Ballistix for most builds. It's super cheap, you're guaranteed the same memory ICs and it clocks incredibly well. It's an all around great "bang for buck" option. Past that you'll want to do some individual research on Samsung B die kits and be prepared to do some manual tuning. There's definitely additional performance on the table by going this route but it will be more expensive and time consuming.

Having a good cheap option available that will get you 95% of the performance on offer is great to have though. Get 4 sticks of 8GB 3600mhzCL16 for really cheap, set XMP and know you're not leaving too much performance on the table. If you're feeling adventurous look into secondary/tertiary timings plus 4000mhz overclock with 2000mhz IF clock without having to spend a penny extra.

Last edited:

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Well there we go, it was the only conclusion that made sense really. So 2X16GB Dual Rank probably is the sweet spot due to it potentially putting less strain on the memory controller, however memory sticks very rarely specify the rank, so while it is unlikely that you'll get single rank sticks you may end up with them if you're unlucky.

Safest (and cheapest) way to guarantee the vast majority of the performance remains 4x8GB 3600mhzCL16 sticks as you'll not overpay on memory and you know you'll benefit from dusk rank. Only caveat is to not buy 2 sets of something like Corsair Vengeance where you may be playing the memory IC lottery, as if your 2 kits have different memory ICs, you may run into issues.

I know I sound like a broken record but this point but this is why I continue to recommend Crucial Ballistix for most builds. It's super cheap, you're guaranteed the same memory ICs and it clocks incredibly well. It's an all around great "bang for buck" option. Past that you'll want to do some individual research on Samsung B die kits and be prepared to do some manual tuning. There's definitely additional performance on the table by going this route but it will be more expensive and time consuming.

Having a good cheap option available that will get you 95% of the performance on offer is great to have though. Get 4 sticks of 8GB 3600mhzCL16 for really cheap, set XMP and know you're not leaving too much performance on the table. If you're feeling adventurous look into secondary/tertiary timings plus 4000mhz overclock with 2000mhz IF clock without having to spend a penny extra.

So in summary return my DDR4-4000 and get CL16 3600Mhz and do 2 by 8 or 4 by 16 if I want 32GB?

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm very happy I went with my 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport that happen to be Dual-Rank (can't claim I really knew whether that matters back when I bought it last year).

Not sure yet when I upgrade to Zen3 (or if I will at all, but probably) but would be nice if I can get up to 4000 MHz or even 4100 MHz with the respective infinity clocks. That being said, there's one factor I hadn't considered yet until watching a recent IgorsLAB video. And that's the increase of power consumption from increasing the IF, that turned out to be quite drastic. Makes sense, that the higher IF frequency would cause the CPU to draw more power but... it just wasn't on my mind.

01-Memory-OC-Ryzen.png

The new Ryzen achieve up to 7% performance increase for up to 800 MHz more clock speed. The power consumption of the CPU increases with less limitation by up to 23%, that of the GPU by just under 3%. I have achieved this in the ideal case and at 720p, normally this will have a much lower effect. But about 5% is actually always possible with Ryzen even on Full-HD. A benefit to take with you. Everything from WQHD onward is put into perspective, because the graphics card is becoming more and more the limiting link in the chain.

02-Memory-OC-Core-i9.png

Of course, it wouldn't always use up this much extra power but I wonder if that the comparatively small performance gain is really worth it, especially if you go up to e.g. 4100 MHz which some are apparently achieving and might be even more doable with the next AGESA update. That said, I really wanna keep my hardware cool and quiet.

So in summary return my DDR4-4000 and get CL16 3600Mhz and do 2 by 8 or 4 by 16 if I want 32GB?

Is your RAM single-ranked?
And no, 2x16GB Dual-Ranked is likely the best.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

If you're prepared to put the time into it, then faster memory could be worthwhile, but there's a lot of factors involved and it won't "just work" out of the box. You're going to have to be prepared to put the time into it.

If you want a good "out of the box" XMP solution on the cheap then 4x8GB 3600mhzCL16 feels like a good price: performance sweetspot.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So flashing the older BIOS for the MSI board didn't fix shit on my end. CPU led still glowing red, no usable debug code, no image output.
Will probably have to RMA the board and CPU. Fun.

In any case, test your boards + CPUs before before installing in your case. Worst case it costs you a few minutes, best case it will save you hours of lifetime hunched over your case while troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.