• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Great VRMs, but Realtek networking is a deal-breaker for me. Too many issues when under high load, and Realtek NICs have been a constant source of BSODs for me over the years.

Realtek offloads network traffic to the CPU and their drivers are trash. It's fairly well known that they struggle over 500mbps.

Here's an example of plenty of people affected here:

MSI Global English Forum

Realtek is absolute trash if you stress your network at all. I value stability over marginally higher overclocking potential.
In that case stay away from all B550 motherboards as your only options there are either Realtek or a busted Intel NIC.
wccftech.com

Intel Foxville I225-V 2.5GbE Networking Issues Seemingly Persist - Several Z490 Motherboards Could Be Affected, New B3 Revision Expected In 2H 2020

Despite Intel's claims, the I225-V networkin chip which is featured on several Z490 motherboards still has networking issues.

edit: correction, there's one B550 with a proper Intel NIC. The Gigabyte B550 Vision D.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My buddy's been getting primed to do a build ever since the nVidia 3000 series cards started seeing benchmarks, and he's going team red for his CPU this time around, he texted me today saying there was a line around the block here in Toronto at Canada Computers.

I'm sticking with my 3600 cause I have a B350 board, but I'm definitely hyped for everyone making big upgrades. I got in on the 1600 when it launched, and the upgrade path to 3600 kept me in it for an entire gen. I think 450 boards were around but just way too expensive when I built, not sure, but going 1600 to 5600 would've been ludicrous, haha.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Okay, so I've got a packaged 3900x next to me and a 5800x ordered online. Very similar prices. Got a 3080 on the way and I'm interested in gaming and video editing. I have never been more torn. Which CPU do I go with? Any thoughts to nudge me in either direction? I'm actually surprised there aren't more people comparing the two because they're clearly both at the price point that makes it a compelling discussion:

5800x:
- Faster single-core so faster gaming performance

3900x:
- 4 more cores, effectively opening up higher productivity for things like encoding

If I'm playing games at 1440p or 4k anyway, am I even likely to notice a difference with faster single-core performance? Would this change as the generation continues? It feels slightly irresponsible prioritising games over work but it also feels slightly irresponsible to opt for an older CPU that may show its age sooner.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I've got a packaged 3900x next to me and a 5800x ordered online. Very similar prices. Got a 3080 on the way and I'm interested in gaming and video editing. I have never been more torn. Which CPU do I go with? Any thoughts to nudge me in either direction? I'm actually surprised there aren't more people comparing the two because they're clearly both at the price point that makes it a compelling discussion:

5800x:

3900x:
- 4 more cores, effectively opening up higher productivity for things like encoding

If I'm playing games at 1440p or 4k anyway, am I even likely to notice a difference with faster single-core performance? Would this change as the generation continues? It feels slightly irresponsible prioritising games over work but it also feels slightly irresponsible to opt for an older CPU that may show its age sooner.
if it's for your job, go opt for a 5900x and have your employer foot the bill >:)

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017

5800x:

3900x:

I'm not sure if this applies to your case but I watched a review where the 5900x performed better than the 3950x in V-Ray and it seems to come close in other production workloads including Premiere. The 5800x might be able to do the same but I haven't seen direct benchmarks comparing the 2 yet.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
if it's for your job, go opt for a 5900x and have your employer foot the bill >:)

Heh, I'm a freelancer, I'll be able to write off some of the PC cost come tax time, but that's already sort of taken into account with the budget of the PC. Besides, I've already ordered the 5800x while all the 5900xs are sold out. Thanks though!

I'm not sure if this applies to your case but I watched a review where the 5900x performed better than the 3950x in V-Ray and it seems to come close in other production workloads including Premiere. The 5800x might be able to do the same but I haven't seen direct benchmarks comparing the 2 yet.

Thanks! Yeah, this is why I'm so torn. When it comes to productivity, it seems like it's not even a simple matter of "more cores = better performance." Some apps take advantage of the higher core count. Some (like Premiere I believe) have started leaning into GPU power more, and some are getting more out of single-core performance. Honestly, it seems like both will perform well at both games and productivity, but I kind of wanna get it right given how much money I'm dropping. I'm ever so slightly leaning towards just going with the 5800x - a newer, more sophisticated chip seems like a good gut decision. But that's kind of all it is at this point: picking with my gut.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Currently using an 8700k, does an upgrade to a 5800x make a lot of sense? Gaming mostly on an ultrawide 1440p monitor.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I have a 2600x... it serves my needs well. Maybe I'll upgrade when these are discounted or bundled with certain games.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI Motherboard to pair with 5950x and hopefully a 3080 (or Ti).

Should be good right? No potential issues?

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm going to stick with my R5 3600 until these are easier to get. After the 3080 I'm done with the F5 game. I play at 4K so am mostly GPU bound anyway.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do we have any info on the release of a 5700X? I'm not really bugged about the 50 dollar price hike AMD did, but I am bugged about only releasing a #800X variant. Back in the day you had to be crazy to get the 1800X instead of the 1700X because of the 100 dollar price difference, but since this time they only have an 8 core part with the #800X monicker they functionally raised the 8 core price by 150 dollars and that just sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 5900x but I don't do any productivity and play at 4k60 or 1440p144

I don't think I'll see much gains from my 3600 :v regretting my purchase a bit

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
after reading a ton of Zen 3 reviews today I'm still confused as to which is the better buy for gaming...everyone says the 5900X is excellent overall but I haven't seen any detailed write ups about the single CCX on the 5800X vs the 6+6 CCX on the 5900X and what if any factor that plays in the overall performance

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Great VRMs, but Realtek networking is a deal-breaker for me. Too many issues when under high load, and Realtek NICs have been a constant source of BSODs for me over the years.

Realtek offloads network traffic to the CPU and their drivers are trash. It's fairly well known that they struggle over 500mbps.

Here's an example of plenty of people affected here:

MSI Global English Forum

Realtek is absolute trash if you stress your network at all. I value stability over marginally higher overclocking potential.
...oh fuck, and I already ordered it.

Can you recommend me a good PCIe network card? (I have a 600 Mbps connection)

Last edited:

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email from Scan. I put an order for a 5800X in at 14:09 and it's been delayed until 30th November. Absolutely crazy.

A bit pissed off, actually. I had one in my cart at both Scan and CCL Computers, but CCL's site went down while Scan's held. I wish I'd kept trying with CCL now and put both orders in.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
after reading a ton of Zen 3 reviews today I'm still confused as to which is the better buy for gaming...everyone says the 5900X is excellent overall but I haven't seen any detailed write ups about the single CCX on the 5800X vs the 6+6 CCX on the 5900X and what if any factor that plays in the overall performance
As I understand it, the 5900x's extra cores, doubled cache and higher boost clock speeds should compensate for the slight increase in latency from occasionally passing data over the infinity fabric between the chip complexes. Windows should also handle scheduling for each core/CCX so jobs generally stay within a single complex instead of spreading them out and increasing latency (just like they would on the single 5800x chiplet). Most games aren't SO multi-threaded yet that they can't be contained in a single 6 core CCX, but it may happen in a few years as the next-gen matures. Until then, the 5900x has the benefit of allowing most games to run on 1 CCX while the other can handle OS and background tasks.

The 5800x will perform just fine in games, great even. It just sits lower on the Price-to-performance scale. At $399, it would have been a lot easier to recommend as THE gaming CPU for many people looking to upgrade. At only a $100 less than the superior part though, it gets more complicated. Add in things like Streaming, game recording, multitasking and just general non-gaming content creation, and the 5900x starts looking like an even better value for just $100 more.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I bought a 5900x but I don't do any productivity and play at 4k60 or 1440p144

I don't think I'll see much gains from my 3600 :v regretting my purchase a bit
I mean...I can take that 5900x off your hands... 😏

That's how it always works. I want a 5950x to pair with my 3090. Do I have any use for the million cores or 24Gb of vram? No. But I waaaaaaaant it!
That's where I'm at. I want a 3090, I want a 5950x, 64GB of RAM and a Predator X27 monitor. Do I have even a remote use case scenario that would justify any of that?

Absolutely not.

Do I still want it? Yes.

Probably going to go with a 5900x and a 3080Ti...my 1080 can hold out a bit longer. Still might get that X27 too and a 60hz second monitor...been looking at Ultrawide though.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As I understand it, the 5900x's extra cores, doubled cache and higher boost clock speeds should compensate for the slight increase in latency from occasionally passing data over the infinity fabric between the chip complexes. Windows should also handle scheduling for each core/CCX so jobs generally stay within a single complex instead of spreading them out and increasing latency (just like they would on the single 5800x chiplet). Most games aren't SO multi-threaded yet that they can't be contained in a single 6 core CCX, but it may happen in a few years as the next-gen matures. Until then, the 5900x has the benefit of allowing most games to run on 1 CCX while the other can handle OS and background tasks.

The 5800x will perform just fine in games, great even. It just sits lower on the Price-to-performance scale. At $399, it would have been a lot easier to recommend as THE gaming CPU for many people looking to upgrade. At only a $100 less than the superior part though, it gets more complicated. Add in things like Streaming, game recording, multitasking and just general non-gaming content creation, and the 5900x starts looking like an even better value for just $100 more.

in the AnandTech review gaming performance was pretty much even between the 5800X and 5900X but there was 1 game (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided) where for some reason the 5800X significantly outperformed the 5900X...

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
That's where I'm at. I want a 3090, I want a 5950x, 64GB of RAM and a Predator X27 monitor. Do I have even a remote use case scenario that would justify any of that?

Absolutely not.

Do I still want it? Yes.

Probably going to go with a 5900x and a 3080Ti...my 1080 can hold out a bit longer. Still might get that X27 too and a 60hz second monitor...been looking at Ultrawide though.

Sometimes it just feels good to go big and feel like you're king of the castle for a day. My last build was in 2012 so I am ready to ball out for the hell of it.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Doesn't seem like I should upgrade my 3700x even though I am pairing it with a 3090.

Looking at the 4k gaming benchmarks, there seems to be an extremely small difference between 3700x and the 5000 series CPUs.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
in the AnandTech review gaming performance was pretty much even between the 5800X and 5900X but there was 1 game (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided) where for some reason the 5800X significantly outperformed the 5900X...

There will always be outliers, especially in older and indie games. The fact that the 5950x also underperformed just makes it seem like the game is just throwing thread requests around willy-nilly. That would also explain why Intel's ring-bus multi-core solution performed so much better in the DX games than even the top-end previous-gen Ryzens. The IPC and unified cache gains from Zen3 were able to brute force a performance win, but not having to deal with as much of the inter-CCX latency obviously played a factor for the single-CCX parts.

I imagine newer modern games/engines will be a little more CPU-aware to avoid this. Had development continued on the Deus Ex franchise, I don't doubt that they would have improved their scheduling within the engine to account for Ryzen's CCX architecture.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
I kinda wanna upgrade from this 3700x to the 5800x lol.
Thats what i did haha. It's not really needed but i just love new tech (⌒_⌒;)
I already sold my 3700x for 230€ which is 90€ less than what i paid a year ago. I'm fine with that.
Now i'm in the market for a good 4k144hz monitor, or maybe a LG CX 48.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
🤔

j25MVzb.png

oDk6mfO.png

These results are remarkable, is there an explanation why Ryzen 5000 absolutely trounces everything in a few game benchmarks? IPC sensitive titles wouldn't explain it alone.

hayabusi

Apr 26, 2019
Hope stocks will improve next week or so, can't wait to order the 5900x up upgrade from Sandy Bridge.
Still unsure on the motherboard side and whether I "need" the X570 Aorus Ultra. But it sure ticks all the boxes, e.g. with the three M.2 slots. All the B550 that sit at a lower price have some constraints that somewhat bother me if I get a new PC after almost 10 years.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, since it's the latest CPU pounder – anybody seen 4K gameplay benchmarks of Watch Dogs Legion? I don't think the 1080p benchmarks I found are representative whatsoever (or are people with 10900k really able to play the game without dropping below 60)?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
So is there any downside to getting a B550 board instead of an X570? I'm just going to have a single M2 PCIE4.0 drive.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any downside to getting a B550 board instead of an X570? I'm just going to have a single M2 PCIE4.0 drive.
You get terrible framerates with your 3080 or 3090 graphics card 1-3% lower, and you don't get to sit at the cool kids table.

I wouldn't risk it....

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
So this may be a dumb question but I am upgrading from my old i7 to a new ryzen. Now I wanted to know if that is still finicky today or if I can basically just put it together, add my old drives and have it boot or if there will be extra steps?

Edit:Already got a motherboard on the way as well. Should have mentioned that

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this may be a dumb question but I am upgrading from my old i7 to a new ryzen. Now I wanted to know if that is still finicky today or if I can basically just put it together, add my old drives and have it boot or if there will be extra steps?
Need a new motherboard. Either B550 or X570. AMD socket motherboards don't support Intel CPUs and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.