• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Preordered a 5950x pretty early in the day yesterday at B&H, but backordered as expected. Hoping they can tell me where I'm at in their "first come, first served" queue, as they have to know how many are sitting there waiting to be filled. My new build is all ready, assembled everything last night, only needs the cpu dropped in and cooler installed. Fingers crossed for the inventory flows better than the RTX 30 series has.

EDIT:

Spoke to B&H rep. He assured me 7-10 days max that I would have the cpu. He mentioned by months end, they should have sufficient stock.

Last edited:

Faderlite

Aug 2, 2018
For those of you who are back ordered from B&H, how were you notified? I've only received an order confirmation email at the moment.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
OK, thanks. How does one go about choosing a motherboard? I haven't done this since I built my 6700k rig.

For Zen3 the best way to go about it is probably looking for reviews of MBs with B550 or X570 chipsets from e.g. Hardware Unboxed. Or ask people in the know on e.g. ERAs PC building thread or so. I'm personally not really well versed in those MBs.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wouldn't bother personally. Stats seem to be in close range. One is better in some areas, the other in another. Depends what you're aim is.
Terrible advice.

if I have a 100900k (unopened) is it worth getting the 5900x or should I just keep what I have? Im so close to building my PC
Unless you got that 10900K for like 40% off, send that sommbitch right back. It's an inferior part in every respect and loses more often than it beats even a $299 5600X.

Look at any of the dozens of reviews out now. 10900K at anywhere near MSRP is now among the worst CPU value purchases you can make for gaming.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
OK, thanks. How does one go about choosing a motherboard? I haven't done this since I built my 6700k rig.

Pay attention to VRMs and connectivity.

For the mid-range X570, since I've recently done some research:

Asus Prime is the value-VRM king. Their VRMs are stellar. But they use Realtek networking.
AsRock Pro4 has a lot of functionality for the money, with an Intel NIC.
Gigabyte Aorus Elite is good all around, but only has 2 sysfan headers, though it has an Intel NIC. Not a dealbreaker since you can run some fans off SATA power.

Personally, I'd pick a motherboard with an Intel networking chipset, since Realtek has caused a lot of issues for me in the past. The Gigabyte is good since it has Intel...only downside is it only has 4 fan headers (CPU, Waterpump, 2x Sysfans). The AsRock is nice with 2 extra fan headers and a full USB 3 loadout, but the VRMs are slightly less capable and it doesn't have a CPU-less BIOS flashback, so if you get one with an old BIOS, you'll need to get your hands on a Ryzen 3xxx to update it.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

Asus Prime is the value-VRM king. Their VRMs are stellar. But they use Realtek networking.
Gigabyte Aorus Elite is good all around, but only has 2 sysfan headers, though it has an Intel NIC. Not a dealbreaker since you can run some fans off SATA power.

Personally, I'd pick a motherboard with an Intel networking chipset, since Realtek has caused a lot of issues for me in the past. The Gigabyte is good since it has Intel...only downside is it only has 4 fan headers (CPU, Waterpump, 2x Sysfans). The AsRock is nice with 2 extra fan headers and a full USB 3 loadout, but the VRMs are slightly less capable and it doesn't have a CPU-less BIOS flashback, so if you get one with an old BIOS, you'll need to get your hands on a Ryzen 3xxx to update it.
Thanks for all this. I'm learning that X570 has a fan! That sucks! I'm big on silent builds, my current build is stuffed full of silent Noctua fans. Having a whiny motherboard fan is really going to grill my onions.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
You know why nobody complains about the fans? Because they don't hear them. You won't hear it.
Ya, the fans usually only kick on if you're stressing the chipset. And you're only stressing the chipset if you use the extra PCI-E lanes it comes with. And those extra PCI-E lanes you're using are ONLY available on X570, which is the reason you bought the board. So not a lot of complaints

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Terrible advice.

Unless you got that 10900K for like 40% off, send that sommbitch right back. It's an inferior part in every respect and loses more often than it beats even a $299 5600X.

Look at any of the dozens of reviews out now. 10900K at anywhere near MSRP is now among the worst CPU value purchases you can make for gaming.

Damn... I bought for 530 at best buy. I really wanted the 5900x but missed out. I really dont want to be going through the same situation as the 3080. I have a newborn and I have been consistently late on the take because of it.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Congrats to everyone that got their pick of the silicon litter!

Looks like Canada got a combined 30 CPUs to split amongst itself.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all this. I'm learning that X570 has a fan! That sucks! I'm big on silent builds, my current build is stuffed full of silent Noctua fans. Having a whiny motherboard fan is really going to grill my onions.
Yeah I don't like that either. I've seen some people put small CPU tower coolers in the southbridge with good results. I don't know why 3rd parties haven't released official solutions yet. Hell, someone just put a low profile heat sink on and it never got above 75C under full load.

Unfortunately for now, that's the price to pay for PCI-E 4.0.

I'd recommend checking to see if the motherboard you're interested in has fan control over the southbridge.You can set it to only turn on once it hits 70-75C, so it should be completely silent when not under heavy load.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The 5900x stock lasted about 3 minutes here, that's 3 more minutes than the nvidia 30series ahahaha.
The 5950x stock lasted at least 5 minutes (but i stopped looking because i had a meeting)

5900x reviews are great, price is more than fair compared to the performance, enjoy !

If i didn't have a computer being built on the 10900k already, i'd have gotten a 5900x build, i thought the infinity fabric thingy would have had much worse impact on creation tools, but that's not the case.
The zen3 is aaaaaaaaaaaaall good, what a happy sight :)
There's little as thrilling as seeing a come back (gives me athlon 64 x2 vibes).

edit: somebody brought to my intention there is still infinity fabric lottery on zen 3 :( ... good luck on your draw !

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Trying to upgrade from a 6600k to a 5800X but I've had zero luck so far. Gotten close in a few places with it in my cart but always craps out afterwards. Seems better than the 3080 launch but still pretty bad.

There was a brief moment in time where I likely could have gotten a 5600X but I want to future proof a bit and don't want to settle.

I just upgraded to the 3700X from a 6600K. I wouldn't be willing to spend $180 more, not counting another $30 plus for a cooler on a 5800X. The 3700X is $304 right now with a cooler. The 5800X is 20% faster at most, probably closer to 10% faster in most situations. If money is not a concern, then by all means.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017

Just FYI My Asus Prime Pro has an Intel network adapter.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone had dispatch confirmation from Scan yet? Mine is ominously showing as "awaiting picking"...

scan is playing their usual game. It's showing in stock, you add it to your basket and check out. It won't be dispatched (despite your confirmation email saying delivery tomorrow) and then they will tell you that your order was actually a "pre order" and you are in a queue. By that time, they have obviously already charged you. They haven't got the stock but lure customers in with the "in stock" sign and let more orders through than stock. They keep it as in stock until it suddenly changes to "pre order".
I don't understand why it's so hard to reserve an item once it is placed in the basket for like 5 mins and when the customer doesn't complete the checkout, simply release the item

Last edited:

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Well at least the 3000series nVidia launch has taught me to not fruitlessly search all day every day. Just have to learn the patterns.....but goddamn I was hoping to get lucky and not have to do this shitty song and dance again

signal

Oct 28, 2017
🤔

j25MVzb.png

oDk6mfO.png

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
My 5950x is being prepped for shipping, the dream of messing with it during the weekend is getting real!

The website of the retailer I used also struggled hard during the launch and the 5950x was even removed from their website shortly after going on sale, so they must have went pretty fast and showed up an hour later as sold out.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Ordered my 5800x from Inet in Sweden 2 minutes after release. The site was getting hammered and it took forever to get to checkout. But they were all gone already lol. Apparently they got 15...

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it? All the Zen 3 line-up in spitting distance of each other in games. Bad selection of non-CPU limited titles? Games just don't exist yet to bear out the advantages? Based on the current benches why spend more for the 8 core or 12 cores?

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it? All the Zen 3 line-up in spitting distance of each other in games. Bad selection of non-CPU limited titles? Games just don't exist yet to bear out the advantages? Based on the current benches why spend more for the 8 core or 12 cores?
It seems like those games all have engines that only utilize 4 or 6 cores. Not all game engines use 8+ cores effectively but it's improving slowly

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I just upgraded to the 3700X from a 6600K. I wouldn't be willing to spend $180 more, not counting another $30 plus for a cooler on a 5800X. The 3700X is $304 right now with a cooler. The 5800X is 20% faster at most, probably closer to 10% faster in most situations. If money is not a concern, then by all means.

I'm trying to build a capable 4k gaming PC that'll last me at least a few years, so that's why I'm splurging a bit. Besides, I've already bought everything else I need for the build, including a cooler.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Still salty about newegg selling out so quickly. Really getting tired of pc components selling out in seconds.

Mad Max

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up a 5600x. Missed out on a 5900x since they were gone in about 30s while I was waiting for the page to load... Have that on backorder now, but will play with the 5600x for a bit first. First impressions: PBO actually seems to work as intended this time, set it to: maxclock = +200MHz, PPT=300W, TDC=240A, EDC=240A and the cpu is actually boosting to 4850MHz now (from 4650)! On the other hand, with the 3700x PBO basically did nothing at all.

Memory overclocking is also improved, running my ram at 3733CL16 (1:1) now with 4x8Gb, which was definitely not possible with my 3700x (reached 3600CL16 with that cpu only after upgrading x370->x570). I remember barely even reaching 3000CL19 with a R1700 a few years ago..

Most games don't utilize more than 6 cores. So since these cpus contain the exact same CCDs with 6 or 8 cores, the performance difference is generally just down to the clockspeed difference.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two X570 motherboards are fanless:

Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme

(Asrock X570 Aqua doesn't count because it's a waterblock)

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Seems like it's not worth upgrading from 3700X to 5800X. Techpowerup puts the relative performance at about 5% in 1440p and a fraction of a percent at 4K and looks about the same for every other review I checked.

I might still pick one of these up next year when they go down in price as I have a second computer that could use an upgrade.

Mad Max

Oct 27, 2017

For most people there is really no reason to buy a mid-end x570 mobo in general, since there are plenty of good b550 boards out now which are cheaper and offer the same performance. Only reason would be if you actually need the extra PCIe-4.0 lanes connected through the chipset.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
For most people there is really no reason to buy a mid-end x570 mobo in general, since there are plenty of good b550 boards out now which are cheaper and offer the same performance. Only reason would be if you actually need the extra PCIe-4.0 lanes connected through the chipset.

I wonder though if the internal CPU PCI-E 4.0 will come into play with future CPUs.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the participating retailers for the far cry 6 bundle are? I assume newegg is one but I can't find a list anywhere

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered a 5950x pretty early in the day yesterday at B&H, but backordered as expected. Hoping they can tell me where I'm at in their "first come, first served" queue, as they have to know how many are sitting there waiting to be filled. My new build is all ready, assembled everything last night, only needs the cpu dropped in and cooler installed. Fingers crossed for the inventory flows better than the RTX 30 series has.

EDIT:

Spoke to B&H rep. He assured me 7-10 days max that I would have the cpu. He mentioned by months end, they should have sufficient stock.
I wonder if that will apply to 5900x too.

Not that it matters since I doubt I will find a 3090 by then...

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Most games don't utilize more than 6 cores. So since these cpus contain the exact same CCDs with 6 or 8 cores, the performance difference is generally just down to the clockspeed difference.
Is that going to change with next-gen games? Future-proofing with the 8 or 12 core cpus?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it's not worth upgrading from 3700X to 5800X. Techpowerup puts the relative performance at about 5% in 1440p and a fraction of a percent at 4K and looks about the same for every other review I checked.

I might still pick one of these up next year when they go down in price as I have a second computer that could use an upgrade.

basically where i'm at

impressive cpus no doubt, but i think i'd rather just wait for zen 4 when i have to do a mobo upgrade anyways

Mad Max

Oct 27, 2017
Is that going to change with next-gen games? Future-proofing with the 8 or 12 core cpus?

Potentially, since the PS5 and XSX both have 8 zen2 cores (running at much lower clocks though). If you want your CPU to last for years I would get 8 or 12 cores, but 6 should still be fine for the forseeable future. This is just a guess though. I've had 8 core cpu's for years and never found much use for them while gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.