• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm fine with the fan as long as replacing it is possible and its eventual failure isn't a death sentence for the board.

What makes the Taichi better than the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra?
The Taichi has better VRM cooling, better QvL for Zen 2 which will likely remain the same with Zen 3, way better I/O and more efficient power delivery. It also has a POST code so you can more easily diagnose any issues should there be any when building you PC.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Taichi has better VRM cooling, better QvL for Zen 2 which will likely remain the same with Zen 3, way better I/O and more efficient power delivery. It also has a POST code so you can more easily diagnose any issues should there be any when building you PC.
Sorry, but... what's QvL?

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks again :)

Do you think motherboard prices will go up when Zen 3 launches? Should I get my mobo now?
Is Black Friday a thing where you live? If so, i'd wait for that.

And yes, the QvL is longer and has higher supported speeds than the Ultra does.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When can we expect to start seeing third party benchmarks? I want to check if the single threaded performance of the 5800X really is higher than that of the i7 10700k in every scenario. Like emulation and such.

Like, it used to be that Intel offered better performance but higher thermals and TDP, while also being more expensive. However, it seems that now AMD is simply better at absolutely everything except price. That's just weird to me lol
I'll believe it when I see it.

Given that AMD has the balls to charge more than Intel now, I'm expecting them to deliver on what they say though. If they don't then they're basically making the i7-10700k the no-brainer chip for gaming.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Far Cry 6 is going to be bundled with the 5000 series and some 3000 series CPU's, should be easy to sell the code if you don't want it either.

www.guru3d.com

AMD will Bundle Far Cry 6 with Ryzen 5000 Processors

That's a pretty nice deal, AMD will Bundle Far Cry 6 with Ryzen 5000 Processors and select Ryzen 3000 processors. Hopefully, that helps to settle that 50 USD price premium on the new processors....
Yeah, that's going to be a sell for me.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I had already ordered some 4000 b-die memory thanks to darktalon so I'm ahead of the game

Thanks again :)

Do you think motherboard prices will go up when Zen 3 launches? Should I get my mobo now?
I doubt prices will go up but there could be shortages. It just depends how niche or high end your choice is. I wanted a aorus xtreme for several reasons and those could be hard to get if demand increases.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
How does this look for a Ryzen 5800X build.

I already have storage I can carry from my old pc but I might add a samsung drive to it.

The 3900x is just a placeholder since they are roughly the same price

YcM5egv.png

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
GODDAMN BREH!

...but did you confirm it's on your motherboard's QVL? Just making sure. I ask because I know for a fact that kit is not on my Gigabyte X570 Master QVL.

Or at least here: https://gskill.com/configurator

If it's not listed as compatible, there is a good to great chance that it will not work, or not work properly.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'll believe it when I see it.

Given that AMD has the balls to charge more than Intel now, I'm expecting them to deliver on what they say though. If they don't then they're basically making the i7-10700k the no-brainer chip for gaming.
Yeah but we won't know for sure until launch right? Ugh :/

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
GODDAMN BREH!

...but did you confirm it's on your motherboard's QVL? Just making sure. I ask because I know for a fact that kit is not on my Gigabyte X570 Master QVL.

If it's not listed as compatible, there is a good to great chance that it will not work, or not work properly.
Nah. I'm doing a brand new build. Just hoarding parts right now. I'm looking to pick up the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero when it releases assuming there aren't any compatibility issue. All I'm missing are the MB, CPU, and GPU now (you know, the main freaking components). :(

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I already have storage I can carry from my old pc but I might add a samsung drive to it.

YcM5egv.png
Why the RX 550? It's not a very good GPU and you could probably find something more capable on eBay for around the same price, if not, for a little more.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GODDAMN BREH!

This kind new shit makes me hope the 5800x doesn't perform as well as AMD claims. Mobo whitelists for goddamn memory? the fuck?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Still not sure if I'm gonna go with a 5800X or 5950X, benchmarks will make the decision for me if the cost will end up being worth it to me. Really thinking about starting to buy some of my components now though I probably won't be buying the CPU until the following week assuming they don't all sell out instantly and I get stuck, hopefully some things that aren't in stock anywhere will be in like my planned mobo. Depending on the GPU news and situation I might just keep using my 1070 for a bit and might hold off on a NVMe drive.

Last edited:

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I hope stock will be ok and easy to get for the 5900x. The cpu and a sabrent rocket 4 plus 2tb are the last pieces to my build.
I checked with scan and overclockers in the UK. Both have the cpus already listed, but you can't add them to your basket obviously. Both said it doesn't seem like they will be offering a "pre order" and the add to basket button will go live on the 5th.

Last edited:

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

YcM5egv.png

Why such a cheap graphics card? A GPU can help with rendering/other programs too?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This kind new shit makes me hope the 5800x doesn't perform as well as AMD claims. Mobo whitelists for goddamn memory? the fuck?
Memory white lists are normal.

Nah. I'm doing a brand new build. Just hoarding parts right now. I'm looking to pick up the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero when it releases assuming there aren't any compatibility issue. All I'm missing are the MB, CPU, and GPU now (you know, the main freaking components). :(
gotcha. That ram kit is so new, it won't be on anyone's pre-tested list anyway. Hope you get to test it before your return window expires. Best of luck. Kit looks awesome but I worry.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I went with the Patriot Steel Viper 4400 (running at 3733) when I built my 3700x setup if the rumors are to be true. Will have to test how tight I can get the timings at 4000mhz.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do you guys think the Noctua NH-D15 will provide a performance difference at all vs the Dark Rock Pro 4 with the Ryzen 5800X?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No, the next best upgrade is a beefy AIO.
Thanks!

I've seen that overclocking on Ryzen isn't really a thing. What speeds are we expecting the Ryzen 5800X to run at during sustained loads? Is it possible to force a higher clock speed? (without going above the turbo limit)

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the 5000 series APU will be like. I'd be interested in building a very small rig for my son someday.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
What improvement do you get? Quieter cooling?

More headroom for overclocking, better handling of heatspikes, better noise nomalized thermals and in some cases a easier installation.

That being said the D15 and DRP4 are still fantastic choices and are close to being equal at stock CPU settings with the best AIOs.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
More headroom for overclocking, better handling of heatspikes, better noise nomalized thermals and in some cases a easier installation.

That being said the D15 and DRP4 are still fantastic choices and are close to being equal at stock CPU settings with the best AIOs.
I've heard that there's a setting called "PBO" that's basically an automatic overclock. Does it make a substancial difference? And, will the DRP4 be able to handle it?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
gotcha. That ram kit is so new, it won't be on anyone's pre-tested list anyway. Hope you get to test it before your return window expires. Best of luck. Kit looks awesome but I worry.
Same. That's why I'm hoping to pick up the CPU and MB within the next month. I also bought some C14 3800 G.SKILL Trident Z Neo as a backup. I know that one works. Like I said, hoarding. :)

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks!

I've seen that overclocking on Ryzen isn't really a thing. What speeds are we expecting the Ryzen 5800X to run at during sustained loads? Is it possible to force a higher clock speed? (without going above the turbo limit)

Hopefully its a bit better they pushed a 5950 to 6ghz on ln2.

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017
Below are the parts I currently have. I was ready to order a 3900xt but it's probably smarter to wait for the 5900x right?

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC Video Card

Power Supply: Silverstone 700 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Case: NCASE M1

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Below are the parts I currently have. I was ready to order a 3900xt but it's probably smarter to wait for the 5900x right?

In general, I'd say yes to most RTX 3080/90 owners. Of course, if you run games at 4k then it's still very likely the GPU that's your bottleneck in most cases even with a 3900x (don't get the XT unless it's just 10-30$ more).

Dave

Oct 26, 2017

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC Video Card

Power Supply: Silverstone 700 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Case: NCASE M1

That PSU isn't enough wattage.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
700w is no longer sufficient?

What PSU do people recommend? I want a good one that will last me for at least 5 years. It doesn't have to be the top of the line but I am not seeking a budget one either. I was looking at the Corsair HX850 850W 80 Plus Platinum High Performance Fully Modular Power Supply.

Thanks in advance

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017

😐😐 What...I was misinformed then :(

What PSU do people recommend? I want a good one that will last me for at least 5 years. It doesn't have to be the top of the line but I am not seeking a budget one either. I was looking at the Corsair HX850 850W 80 Plus Platinum High Performance Fully Modular Power Supply.

Thanks in advance

My PSU options are limited with my case/form factor. The Corsair sfx750 is sold out everywhere.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks in advance
😐😐 What...I was misinformed then :(

I believe, I could be wrong, but I believe with the 3080 it is a 800w minimum. Saw when looking for help when building a new PC! Look ASAP guys! Let me know but I'm sure because I started pricing up 850w PSU's for a reason...

My PSU options are limited with my case/form factor. The Corsair sfx750 is sold out everywhere.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For regards of power spikes on the 3080... it was much higher than I thought it would be.
almost 500w !!
www.reddit.com

r/nvidia - RTX 3080: 489w Transient spikes.

3 votes and 76 comments so far on Reddit

Holy shit. Though imo 700W should be enough.

Ryzen 3900x should be at most 150w in short bursts. That leaves 50w for the rest of the system. With only SSD that should be ok. It's close though.
But better to be safe ofc.

800w leaves a bigger headroom and makes it a bit more future proof.

edit: also reduces stress on the PSU. I can see how people are suggesting a 800w.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For regards of power spikes on the 3080... it was much higher than I thought it would be.
almost 500w !!
www.reddit.com

r/nvidia - RTX 3080: 489w Transient spikes.

3 votes and 76 comments so far on Reddit

Holy shit. Though imo 700W should be enough.

Ryzen 3900x should be at most 150w in short bursts. That leaves 50w for the rest of the system. With only SSD that should be ok. It's close though.
But better to be safe ofc.

800w leaves a bigger headroom and makes it a bit more future proof.

edit: also reduces stress on the PSU. I can see how people are suggesting a 800w.
www.reddit.com

r/nvidia - Comment by u/swear_on_me_mam on ”RTX 3080: 489w Transient spikes.”

4 votes and 75 comments so far on Reddit

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Got 750W Corsair coming and here's hoping it's enough for 5900X and RTX 3080, if not guess I'll have to return it.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm finally taking the plunge to Ryzen with the 5000 series after hearing good things for years. My hold-up has always been Intel's superior gaming performance, but if AMD has bridged that gap, there's really no reason not to jump in.

Build-wise, here's what I'm looking at (hoping for a 5950X, but I'll go for the 5900X):

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Elite

Memory: Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8 GB)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 1200W 80+ Platinum

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
700 W should be absolutely fine. The transients are a bit less bad after the driver update that fixed the crashing, too.

800 W is certainly not the minimum, lmao.

In the very unlikely scenario that your 700 W PSU (with likely 750 W range for short peaks/transients), you should just undervolt your RTX 3080/90 a tiny bit, which you should do in any case as there are basically only neat advantages.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020

700w may be cutting it close with a 3080, but I *think* you should be okay. If you change your mind and try to get an SF750, just keep an eye out on r/buildapcsales and r/sffpc on reddit. I know the former allows you to set up alerts so you can be notified when things go in stock. Just a couple days ago it was in stock on Microcenter's web store so that may be indication that stock will replenish elsewhere.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also important. Don't cheap out on a PSU. Get a solid brand. A cheap 700w one might die, but a good brand will be fine.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PC newbie here, is there any reason not to get a generously high wattage PSU? It seems like the price difference is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.