• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Can you really do a true benchmark against each of them when the Nvidia card doesn't have access to that CPU?

Great question. I am assuming 2 things:

1. the games are running at 4K ultra so they are likely mostly GPU-bound.
2. AMD is using average FPS and not 99 or 95 percentile. So real CPU benefit is significantly under-represented in the number.

Adding up both of those factors, I'm comfortable coming up with a best-case scenario for AMD.

Of course, reality will likely not be as rosy. I am sure AMD cherry-picked those games. I am not pre-ordering a big navi yet, I tell you that.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
So I am definitely eyeing the 5900x since I skipped out on the 9900 deal that my nephew was offering. But what is crazy is my buddy is looking to build a new PC as well. But he is disappointed in the price. He says its 100 dollars too expensive for the 5800x. This is a dude that spent over 1000 dollars on Genshin Impact yet is hesitant to pull the trigger on a new PC that would last him years and would help him out with his business? Oy vey....

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
4 Threads on the r/AMD frontpage are now about the price increase. Just why can't AMD do one launch without dumb decisions.

It can't be that hard...

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
As far as 5800X vs 3800X, I'd wait for the head to head benchmarks to see if that $130 is justifiable. In my view, it'd have to murder the 3800X in gaming to be worth it.

I would want more cores/threads if I was spending more money.

Don't forget that consoles have Zen2 CPUs (2x4cores CCX), so you're pretty much guaranteed games optimized for SX/ps5 will be optimized for their PC zen2 brethren too. I would be quite comfortable with anything starting with the 3700X for the time being.

When a game truly doesn't give you 60FPS+ because of CPU, then I'd upgrade. It may be that AMD's next mobo is out by then.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
So, if my current intel CPU is pushing 5 years - what do I go for here for 1440p gaming? Zen 2 or 3 and which model? Waiting on my EVGA 3080 and plan on building this rig in January.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Don't forget that consoles have Zen2 CPUs (2x4cores CCX), so you're pretty much guaranteed games optimized for SX/ps5 will be optimized for their PC zen2 brethren too. I would be quite comfortable with anything starting with the 3700X for the time being.

When a game truly doesn't give you 60FPS+ because of CPU, then I'd upgrade. It may be that AMD's next mobo is out by then.
Very true, good point. One has no fear of being behind technologically, if they choose Zen 2.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hmm i thiiiiiiink my 1600 can hold out for another generation. if i really want to upgrade, i'm looking at the 3900XT

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So, if my current intel CPU is pushing 5 years - what do I go for here for 1440p gaming? Zen 2 or 3 and which model? Waiting on my EVGA 3080 and plan on building this rig in January.
I'm doing similar but am going with some of the newer PCIe 4 SSDs, so AMD is the only option for now without "re upgrading" later with Intel. I'm hoping there are some benches to make an informed decision on what is the best chip to go with around Nov 5th.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
www.newegg.com

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Newegg.com offers the best prices on computer products, laptop computers, LED LCD TVs, digital cameras, electronics, unlocked phones, office supplies, and more with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Newegg shopping upgraded ™

You can get a 10700K and Z490 board for $540 via Newegg if the prices on display here suck. I think I'm gonna do this instead of paying nearly $700 for 5800X and my X570.

This 3570K has got to go.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017

I do not think devs will optimize for 2xCCX on Windows. It's easy to pin threads on consoles to specific cores but I doubt dev would use such optimization on PC.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
www.newegg.com

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Newegg.com offers the best prices on computer products, laptop computers, LED LCD TVs, digital cameras, electronics, unlocked phones, office supplies, and more with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Newegg shopping upgraded ™

You can get a 10700K and Z490 board for $540 via Newegg if the prices on display here suck. I think I'm gonna do this instead of paying nearly $700 for 5800X and my X570.

I'm on the fence. I have a 3600x system in one cart, a 10600k system in another cart and the bundle you linked in another. I'm surprised that AMD went with those prices. Maybe it's better for us to wait to see where prices settle?

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think the 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 5600X will perform as good as a 8 core from the previous generation (AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X) ?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
www.newegg.com

This looks tempty. Is a good deal?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think the 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 5600X will perform as good as a 8 core from the previous generation (AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X) ?

Using the baseline +19% IPC, and 4.5% higher clockspeed, I'd expect the the 5600x to be the equivalent to 7.46 Zen 2 cores. So the 3700x will outperform it by 7% in multithreaded workloads, but the single NUMA node on the 5600x will probably give it the edge in gaming.

I'd likely take a 5600x over a 3700x if the prices are comparable.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence. I have a 3600x system in one cart, a 10600k system in another cart and the bundle you linked in another. I'm surprised that AMD went with those prices. Maybe it's better for us to wait to see where prices settle?
I want an upgrade right now. I'm tired of the 3570K and Sony hasn't said shit about their magical whitelisted NVME drives and Series X, to my knowledge, is on par with current NVME speed. I'm also in a bad spot and have everything for my new PC except for a motherboard and CPU.

I think I'll do the 10700k bundle and just consider selling it when I want PCIE 4.0.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
www.newegg.com

Can't you go with a B550 board and the 5800X or are there features on the X570 that you really need?

Oct 25, 2017
this is all just disappointing, though I planned to hold out until the slot change next year anyway, so heres to hoping ryzen 6xxx is a better all around launch

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you go with a B550 board and the 5800X or are there features on the X570 that you really need?
B550 and X570 are almost the same price for what I originally wanted (MSI Tomahawk $180 vs $220) and X570 has full PCIE 4.0 support. I originally wanted a 5700(X), not to choose between a $300 6c/12t and a $450 8c/16t that is likely to only slightly exceed current Intel offerings.

Oct 25, 2017
The stock went up all day but took a nose dive after the presentation. Hype balloon went *pop* or something else is pushing it down?

That is a pretty common pattern for any sort of product announcement for any company. Apple, for instance, generally follows this pattern on Keynote days. The old trader adage is "Buy the rumor, sell the news."

It's rarely useful to pay too much attention to short-term stock fluctuations.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm maybe i should figure out what newer processors would work in my mobo to replace my r5 1600...

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are those games even CPU limited at 4k? Besides I doubt AMD's latest will pull ahead of what Intel already has by much in gaming.

Here's a great summary of the whole deal. Maybe best suited to the Navi thread

videocardz.com

AMD teases Radeon RX 6000 "Big Navi" 4K performance - VideoCardz.com

AMD reveals Big Navi 4K performance AMD Radeon RX 6000 “Big Navi” During a special event dedicated to AMD Zen3 processors (Ryzen 5000 series), AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su also gave us a small teaser with Radeon RX 6000 graphics card. A GPU codenamed Big Navi, would provide a 60FPS+ experience across...

It seems competitive with 3080, but the key is

I dont know what to think about that. It would seems odd to not tease with the top of the line, but OTOH the way the comment is worded suggests sandbagging.

Yeah that's pretty weird if they did have something that beat the 3090 they'd tease that I assume. Seems odd. But I guess maybe they are trying to tease and want to drop the real Nvidia kill on oct 28 for some reason.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like my 180€ R5 2600 in december 2018 was the greatest bargain ever. I can't even look at that 299 6c/12t cpu without feeling sad.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
www.newegg.com

$499 for this bundle is a GREAT price.
10700k is 410€ here and the Strix Z490- F 280-300€...

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
With the 5800X coming in at $450 I'm glad I didn't wait on these. I'm sure the performance bump will be significant, but I wanted 8cores and the 3700X at $270 was to good to pass up. $180 for possibly 19%+ more performance is not for me.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Great question. I am assuming 2 things:

1. the games are running at 4K ultra so they are likely mostly GPU-bound.
2. AMD is using average FPS and not 99 or 95 percentile. So real CPU benefit is significantly under-represented in the number.

Adding up both of those factors, I'm comfortable coming up with a best-case scenario for AMD.

Of course, reality will likely not be as rosy. I am sure AMD cherry-picked those games. I am not pre-ordering a big navi yet, I tell you that.

Not always true tech jesus has shown the way on amperes 3080 or 3090, dig through the vids. He's also not the only showing it. If engine design stresses it enough gpus doesn't have juice from cpu side to keep it up. We are reaching a point much like when the 970 showed up that cpus need to start doing their job to let them flex. The war is real again and I see both companies getting thirsty to chase each other and keep nvidia off it's back.

I think amd has a very total package that most consumers should be comfortable with.

I can't wait to flex these things. Some games and Network testing I do will really show me how much change is happening now that IPC and multicore in are golden age we never have had. I'm very pumped for 5900 for a lot of reasons gaming or not. Intel gets two gens from now or amd will start a stomping on them in a way I and most gamers never dreamed was possible.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
4 Threads on the r/AMD frontpage are now about the price increase. Just why can't AMD do one launch without dumb decisions.

It can't be that hard...
Because they have competitive products now and can actually dictate the prices. So they obviously will set them to have better margins.

What? People thought that AMD is any different from Intel when it comes to selling stuff without competition? Why?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody done a comparison of those Big Navi framerates and compared them to the 3080?

We should be able to get a potential range of performance.

"According to AMD's tests, Big Navi is capable of 61 fps in Borderlands 3, 88 fps in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and 73 fps in Gears of War 5 – all at 4K resolution using the Ultra (or in the case of Borderlands, "Badass") graphics preset."
Going from various benchmarks available on the web these numbers suggest than the card is about 10% slower than 3080.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Because they have competitive products now and can actually dictate the prices. So they obviously will set them to have better margins.

What? People thought that AMD is any different from Intel when it comes to selling stuff without competition? Why?

Basically. Cash rules everything around me guys. Remember that.

Also I have a 6700k should I upgrade? I do want to get back to AMD. I am at 4.6Ghz. I am aimming for the 5900x or 5950x. Would try water cooling out so hopefully I can hit 5Ghz+.

DeathMonk

Oct 28, 2017
A $50 increase across the board isn't bad or surprising considering their (supposed) leadership.

What sucks is the lack of 5700/non-x parts. It's a safe bet they will come at some point.

Also, you can't really compare a MSRP of an unreleased product to one that has been on the market for some time. Glad I have a microcenter nearby!

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The $50 price increase wouldn't be a problem if the 5700X and 5600 weren't missing from the launch, meaning the price got an effective $100 - 150 increase until said chips are out

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
I literally can not fathom why anyone is comparing, or considering intel 10 series with the advent of next gen here. Lack of pcie 4 should be a deal breaker. If you don't want to spend on the increased performance there is no argument for intel over ryzen 3000 series chips from a price/perf perspective.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
This would have been a huge win for AMD had they kept pricing the same. The price increase, plus the lack of value models, means there isn't really much to be excited about here. It's a good product at a high price, news at 11

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking back on it... if my main display is 4K120, is there going to be any meaningful difference between a 3700X and the 5800X? I know at 4K probably not but the higher FPS I know makes a difference, right?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

Sure, that's totally fine, just as long as they aren't surprised when they aren't moving half the SKUs they launched.

Oct 25, 2017
I literally can not fathom why anyone is comparing, or considering intel 10 series with the advent of next gen here. Lack of pcie 4 should be a deal breaker. If you don't want to spend on the increased performance there is no argument for intel over ryzen 3000 series chips from a price/perf perspective.
reddit pc gamer fanboyism is a hell of a drug

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically. Cash rules everything around me guys. Remember that.

Also I have a 6700k should I upgrade? I do want to get back to AMD. I am at 4.6Ghz. I am aimming for the 5900x or 5950x. Would try water cooling out so hopefully I can hit 5Ghz+.

Well, reading around some of the other posters in this thread and the next one, cash is enough of a factor that they're thinking or sticking with Intel or postponing their Zen 3 purchase. Understand that AMD wants to increase their margins, but I'd have thought they wouldn't do that til they've made noticeable gains market wide. (I guess my thinking's still based on the Steam system surveys and in the mobile space AMD is only just recently getting Zen2 cores into laptops)

Edit: I must also be the only one hoping for more cores, I'm tempted to upgrade my 3900x to 5950x.

Oct 27, 2017

How come no PCIe 4.0 is a deal breaker? Nvidia showcased the RTX 3080 / 3090 on 3.0 systems. You most likely will not see any huge performance gains on 4.0 in gaming for a while.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Also I have a 6700k should I upgrade?
Does this CPU limit your PC performance anywhere? If not then what's the point? The longer you wait the better h/w you'll upgrade to eventually.
From a purely theoretical pov Skylake-based 4C/8T Intel CPUs are still fine at the moment. They'll likely start being a limiting factor in games made exclusively for next gen consoles and on 3080+ class of GPUs.

Jan 21, 2019
Does this CPU limit your PC performance anywhere? If not then what's the point? The longer you wait the better h/w you'll upgrade to eventually.
From a purely theoretical pov Skylake-based 4C/8T Intel CPUs are still fine at the moment. They'll likely start being a limiting factor in games made exclusively for next gen consoles and on 3080+ class of GPUs.
The only people that should upgrade are those stuck with 4 threads.

AC Syndicate is grilling my i5 6600K.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm very happy with the performance from Big Navi, given the little preview. Anywhere within the ballpark of competing with the 3080 is a great sign!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am not familiar with modern AMD CPUs.

5900X
1) Why is core clock so low at 3.7 GhZ? From Intel I am used to smaller difference between default clock and turbo.
2) What is the MhZ OC headroom normally for AMD? I was getting 0.3-0.5 Ghz out of my i7-6700k.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
How come no PCIe 4.0 is a deal breaker? Nvidia showcased the RTX 3080 / 3090 on 3.0 systems. You most likely will not see any huge performance gains on 4.0 in gaming for a while.

We don't really know whether the bandwidth will be become more relevant in the future because there aren't specific showcases currently. However, I was referring to nvme gen 4 storage. You're basically throwing money away for a stop gap if you aren't on a platform that has the same storage capabilities as the consoles.

Jan 21, 2019
I have a question about the comparison between intel and amd. First, I have no horse in the race, I don't care about CPUs, meaning I'm no fanboy.
So AMD is finally competitive with intel thanks to their brand new Zen 3 chips. Intel however is stuck at their 14 or 12++++++++ mode. Doesn't this make AMD's accomplishments less impressive since they are closing the gap just now using a more advanced node? Isn't it more impressive seeing what intel is squeezing out of their chips.

Not trying to diminish anyone's accomplishments. Obviously I know very little about these things. This is just something that occured to me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So some people are saying the single-core gap is gone with the top-end CPUs, but what might the comparison look like between say, a Ryzen 7 and an i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.