• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Higher than a 2080ti but lower than an RTX 3080.

Basically 10fps in either direction...10fps faster or 10fps slower depending on which card.
index.php
If it's just a bit above the 3070, they'll have to price it at like $400. Another 5700xt situation.

Adum

May 30, 2019
So seems that unless you're gaming at 1080p and insane frame rates, Zen 3 is an upgrade over Zen 2 but nothing dramatic.
I do not agree with this sentiment. Gaining 26% in gaming performance and using less power at the same time all the while on the same manufacturing node? Pretty impressive.

I'm obviously not gonna upgrade since I just got a 3800X in March, but I don't know if it was already asked and maybe it's a stupid question, but why is the new series 5k instead of 4k, did I miss a release or smth?
Techtubers said it's to keep the naming of their mobile and desktop CPU lines in parity. Mobile was for some reason +1000 in naming scheme before.

Zen 3 isn't worth an upgrade from Zen 2
Unless you're really well off financially then most people won't be just upgrading their PC components annually. Only a very small percentage of Zen 2 owners would actually upgrade directly to Zen 3 and that's been pretty much true for every release of every component. It's not worth it for the average joe, but doesn't make the new Ryzen line up any less impressive.

So assuming that the GPU shown was the top end Big Navi - it has around the same performance as a 3080? Good stuff.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, alright, for the tech wizards in here, the big question is: which should I target to be safe with next gen consoles coming?

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, but I imagine it won't be enough even for 1080p gaming next gen (I am not interested in 4K)?

I have the sam CPU, dont need to upgrade if you are targeting 1080p tbh. I play at 1440p and I dont think my CPU will be a bottleneck for the next couple of years. If anything you could OC your CPU.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Ugh not sure what I wanna do now. Been sitting on a 6700k for a few years.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I do not like to upgrade motherboards, CPUs, SSD or RAM more often than every 5 years or so.

Only GPUs are allowed on the fast-upgrade cycle because they are still evolving fast.

This means that my CPU and mobo should last me until basically the end of the console gen.

Normally, I would go for the 8-core CPUs for next-gen parity and because it has an 8-core complex so it's the only size that 100% prevents any bad core usage (making 2 cores NOT on the same complex talk to each other at high latency) so it will definitely be a very, very solid choice. The minimum, really, if you want to beat consoles IPC by 50% or more for much smoother framerates.

If middle-ware developers truly write thread-loving code, then having 12 or 16 cores will be useful in games.

The 12-core design is the most imbalanced of all with an 8-core CCX ("mega-core") and a 4-core CCX. You will want to make sure Windows uses only cores from the 4-core CCX, and leaves the remaining 8 for the game. Hopefully this will be fool-proof...unlike with Zen1.

With a 16-core CPU I believe it doesn't matter as much which CCX Windows uses since they're both the same size. How is core affinity in Windows in game mode these days?

I also want to know what is the single-core performance difference between 5800, 5900 and 5950x. 8c, 12 and 16c. The clock boosts seem to be very, very close to each other, no?

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Looks like I'm gonna go plan B and snatch a cheap 3700x when early adopters selling their current cpu's.

I don't see a point paying (with he current prices) double for a 8 core CPU which does a little better than Zen 2 equivalent.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
$549 for 5900X seems amazing considering 12 cores and if this really beats 10900K in single-core performance IPC as they indicate.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Alright, alright, for the tech wizards in here, the big question is: which should I target to be safe with next gen consoles coming?

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, but I imagine it won't be enough even for 1080p gaming next gen (I am not interested in 4K)?
3600 should be fine for it for a while considering the big upgrade is $450 until a 5700X is out

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
5800X is a single 8-core CCX, while the 5900X is presumably two 6-core CCX with 2 cores disabled in each. Wouldn't the split cache and latency problems of Zen 2 manifest again in the 5900X if the cores involved in gaming are split across to different CCXs? If the 5800X has all possible cores on the same CCX with a single shared cache and reduced latency, how would that not perform as well in gaming as the 5900X with two CCXs?

Is there a reason they couldn't do 1x8 core CCX + 1x4 core CCX (4 cores disabled)? I haven't been paying much attention to the whole Ryzen architecture (not been in the market for a CPU for a long time) - so I'm not sure if there's a reason why that asymmetry is undesirable?

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019

A 3600 will be plenty for the next 5 years.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I have the sam CPU, dont need to upgrade if you are targeting 1080p tbh. I play at 1440p and I dont think my CPU will be a bottleneck for the next couple of years. If anything you could OC your CPU.
3600 should be fine for it for a while considering the big upgrade is $450 until a 5700X is out

I love it when you guys give me good news <3

I'm already eyeing the still unknown RTX 3060 to replace my 1660 Super, wouldn't want to spend an additional 500€ on a new CPU lol

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused, 5900X has more cores and higher IPC, so how does 10900K break even on a couple of benches? Just lack of core scaling + Intel specific optimization?

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

I honestly would not try to build a PC that could ward off consoles right now, unless absolutely necessary. We're still in the cross-generation phase and the true cost of next-generation games on older hardware has not yet been measured or quantified. I'd hate to drop money on a build today that I thought would keep me "safe" from consoles now to see possibly middling results in 2021+. That's just my take though.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not waiting and will pay intel tax. No way I get this first month and sick of waiting more. Been saying it for months but now it's clear this a great stop gap time before DD5 madness comes before us.

Really wanted one but covid has soured me on pc product I know won't be highly available with my luck. Not waiting to replace i5swhen the gains with anyone will be insane.
I really wouldn't be so sure these are going to be super rare at launch. The Zen 2 release had decent supply and was not long ago. These chiplets are far easier to make than huge 3080 dies, and it seems TSMC 7nm are far more capable of large quantity than the new Samsung 8nm.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Sitting with at 2600x I'm not feeling an upgrade at these prices, especially considering I'd need a new mobo too.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure whether to go with the 5900x/5950x.
I'm currently waiting for my 3090 to show up, and since I plan on gaming at 4K for the most part, (Unless DLSS or higher fps appeals), CPU isn't really going to cause a bottleneck no? So was thinking 5900x would be enough.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Think I'll stick with my 2600x until we get a new chipset and DDR5.

I eagerly await their new gpu lineup though.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ultra is not BadAss. Different settings.

Borderlands 3 is a weird one.
Ultra preset doesnt set all the settings to Ultra. 2 settings are left on high.
But if you manually set every setting to Ultra it would be like the preset Badass.

Weird I know.....dont ask me why a dev would have an Ultra preset that doesnt set all the setting to ultra, then have a setting seemingly above Ultra that sets all the settings to Ultra.

Anyway, even in Gears 5 we have a similar perf slotting.
Its faster than a 2080ti but slower than a 3080.
Imm guess slightly faster than a RTX 3070....now they just need to tell us about the RT and Upscaling solutions they have.

index.php

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Damn I was planning to get 8 core zen 3 but 5800x being so expensive and close to 5900x in price, I might go 12 core.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not waiting and will pay intel tax. No way I get this first month and sick of waiting more. Been saying it for months but now it's clear this a great stop gap time before DD5 madness comes before us.

Really wanted one but covid has soured me on pc product I know won't be highly available with my luck. Not waiting to replace i5swhen the gains with anyone will be insane.
CPUs are far less prone to launch stock woes due to the complexity in replacing them and the general trend of one CPU being viable for many, many years.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the game they chose to highlight for their new GPU meant to get us excited for the event on the 28th, meaning the best case scenario only maybe matches the 3080 tells me that they have nothing that's gonna compete with the 3080.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I personally expect the Big Navi highest end card to be between a 3070 and 3080 for normal compute and rasterisation games and somewhere scaling lower than that with RT. I cannot wait to get one though to test out and put in my midrange rig.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason they couldn't do 1x8 core CCX + 1x4 core CCX (4 cores disabled)? I haven't been paying much attention to the whole Ryzen architecture (not been in the market for a CPU for a long time) - so I'm not sure if there's a reason why that asymmetry is undesirable?

Actually they may be doing that as well. I guess the point still stands though - either way, the 5900X is a two CCX chip while the 5800X has all cores on a single CCX. So, assuming the clock speeds are the same, wouldn't a 5800X outperform a 5900X due to the single CCX nature of the chip?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
So if my main goal is 4k60, is there any real real to upgrade to these chips over my 2700X? (I know, benchmarks will tell the full story.)

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I personally expect the Big Navi highest end card to be between a 3070 and 3080 for normal compute and rasterisation games and somewhere scaling lower than that with RT. I cannot wait to get one though to test out and put in my midrange rig.

With those values and without a DLSS alternative they better have much lower power draw, or they really need to be significantly cheaper to be attractive.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
So assuming that the GPU shown was the top end Big Navi - it has around the same performance as a 3080? Good stuff.

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. Perhaps if the drivers are tuned for launch the figures could look even better ?
It all comes to price and I hope they will reveal some more about their Ray tracing capabilities. Would be nice if they used Control as a benchmark.

As of now RTX 3080 vs. Big Navi is as following:

Game, NVIDIA: (5% low,mean,5%high), AMD: (mean?)
---------------NVIDIA------------------AMD ------- Setting
Gears 5 : (66.6, 81.4, 96.4) -- 73 -------- Ultra
Bord. 3 : (53.5, 60.9, 69.9) -- 61 -------- Badass

Taken from eurogamer review and I trust their figures (there was no cod).

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, even in Gears 5 we have a similar perf slotting.
Its faster than a 2080ti but slower than a 3080.
Imm guess slightly faster than a RTX 3070....now they just need to tell us about the RT and Upscaling solutions they have.

index.php
How is it "slightly" faster than 3070 when AMD's number for Gears 5 is 73?

Shouldnt the 3070 be closer to 2080Ti and in the low 60s.

Both benches put "Big Navi" at ~3080 level. But again, these are numbers from AMD, take with caution.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Did they talk about performance on anything other than the 5900x? Amd was know as the best value for the buck with CPUs and these reveals are anything but.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The pricing is just disappointing to me, so the 3700X still seems compelling and waiting for stuff next year might be worth it.
AMD CPUs tend to drop in pricing, you probably can find a 5600X for less than 299 next year. And yes the 3000 series are still very competitive so nothing wrong with them.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
To me the problems i saw with Zen 2 was that some games would have good low fps, good high fps, good average fps ... but they regularly freaked out with some unstable blips during high fps while the intels were going smooth.
I hope Zen 3 solves that.

Status
Not open for further replies.