• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
ezlr3s9.png

Shamelessly stole the OT format from JaseC

What:
AMD will officially unveil their new line of Ryzen 5000 desktop processors featuring the Zen 3 architecture. The 22 minute YouTube premiere will have a particular focus on gaming and content creation.

When:
t1602172800z0.png

📌 Where:

What to expect:
The big one: +15% IPC uplift over Zen 2 and +5% bump in clocks
Unified 8-core CCX to reduce latency
Zen 3 will either close the performance gap in gaming or outright beat Intel and take the crown for the first time in over a decade, at least until Rocket Lake in 2021
Support for 400 & 500-series chipsets on the AM4 socket

R9 5950X - 16/32
R9 5900X - 12/24
R7 5800X - 8/16
R5 5600X - 6/12

Last edited:

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I totally forgot this was today, this should be interesting!

Zen 2 is fantastic and the latency reductions and performance that is rumoured for Zen 3 sounds promising, I'm excited to see what the improvements are on offer!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If Zen 3 closes the perf gap in gaming, I can see this being the value CPU of choice for many years that will hold up very well

I own a 3700x and i'd argue that it's also in the same boat, but yeah Zen 3 should be amazing

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If Zen 3 closes the perf gap in gaming, I can see this being the value CPU of choice for many years that will hold up very well

I own a 3700x and i'd argue that it's also in the same boat, but yeah Zen 3 should be amazing
Doesn't this in theory crush the CPU in next gen consoles? I doubt you'd have to upgrade for the entire gen.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
"Unified 8-core CCX to reduce latency" - does this mean on 12+ core models there'll be performance / fabric traversal issues as in the past?

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
So I've been out of the loop for a while, am I going to ha e to upgrade my 2500k soon?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
"Unified 8-core CCX to reduce latency" - does this mean on 12+ core models there'll be performance / fabric traversal issues as in the past?
Yes. But how big an issue is it for most users, as of right now?

Are you really going to need fast inter-core communication for more than 6 cores?

And if you're working on HPC and server tasks, you're going to want to handle NUMA in some form or another.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Do these new processor generally release at the same price that the last gen ones? Would the 5700x be the same price as the 3700x?

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Building a new pc asap, but waiting for this processor and a 3070. How long till this processor actually comes out do people think/guess?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
5800X will be the CPU to get most likely. I'm expecting it to stand toe-to-toe with the 10900k and even beat it out in some cases. Leaked benchmarks have been interesting. Super curious to see how the 5900X and 5950X do too.

what happened to the 4000?
Skipped to 5000 since Laptop and APU Zen 2 have the 4000 branding. Now they're all under 5000 Zen 3.

These won't be compatible with Asus A320 motherboard, right?
No

EDIT: fixed my spelling lol

Last edited:

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Doesn't this in theory crush the CPU in next gen consoles? I doubt you'd have to upgrade for the entire gen.
Yep.

Even desktop Zen 2 is significantly better than the console counterparts; With PS5/XSX it's clocked lower, missing tonnes of cache and some feature/instruction sets but they're still very very good of course.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but they also used '3000' branding in laptops
jumping ahead is not really a solution. they are trying to solve the problem of jumping ahead by jumping ahead more.
whatever

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but they also used '3000' branding in laptops
jumping ahead is not really a solution

They did, and it's a problem because the arch didn't align. If they can keep model numbers and arch aligned, that's a good thing. Of course, I have no doubt it'll get fuck up again soon enough.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Even desktop Zen 2 is significantly better than the console counterparts; With PS5/XSX it's clocked lower, missing tonnes of cache and some feature/instruction sets but they're still very very good of course.
Yeah, it's worth hammering home to people that don't follow this closely that while these will smash the consoles in terms of performance, it isn't a situation where the consoles have bad CPUs.

God, we're so close to finally moving away from trash Jaguar cores. I cannot wait.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Seems reasonable to expect they'll want to up their margins somewhat, but I've been wrong before.

Expecting 'XT'-like pricing.

That's what I thought. Unless Zen 3 is extremely better than Zen 2 I'll probably still get a 3700X for my new build. Will be a nice change from my i5 2500k lol.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, it's worth hammering home to people that don't follow this closely that while these will smash the consoles in terms of performance, it isn't a situation where the consoles have bad CPUs.

God, we're so close to finally moving away from trash Jaguar cores. I cannot wait.
It's amazing isn't it! SSD's too, it's just going to be wonderful

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Now that im using AMD with my new PC, and got a Ryzen 9 3900X with it, im going to look into the 5950X and see how it performs. Maybe i get it in some years, as i didnt pay much fot the 3900 (thats why I went with amd this time instead of intel). I even got a mother board future proffed with the Pcie4 SSD installed.
Would really like how CPU hungry games like Planet Coaster behave with Zen 3. If its much better than than intels i9s that would be great.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man, if Zen 3 rivals Comet Lake on single core perf I will be VERY happy.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Nice surprise I had it in my head this reveal was tomorrow. Super excited to see the single core improvements, rumours are it is massive.

5Ghz boost on one SKU at least is a lock imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.