• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What about marketing deals and trademak/copyrigth? So if Microsoft want to make a fifa trailer running on xbox the can just do that?
Look we're talking about running a benchmarking software, not making a TV commercial with footage from 3rd party software. The latter does need to be approved with the content owner. But running a benchmark? Like 3DMark? Half of YouTube is doing this every day on all h/w on the market - and people seriously think that all them are getting a "go" from UL for this? Lol.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Look we're talking about running a benchmarking software, not making a TV commercial with footage from 3rd party software. The latter does need to be approved with the content owner. But running a benchmark? Like 3DMark? Half of YouTube is doing this every day on all h/w on the market - and people seriously think that all them are getting a "go" from UL for this? Lol.
I said a company LIKE AMD and NVIDIA specifically cannot just take a game and try to showcase it using their hardware without the permission of the developer.
there are deals made around this stuff and I know this for a fact. Whenever you see game footages in any of their product announcements, videos etc. they is money involved between AMD and those game products, for the simple reason that they use those footages to SELL their own product.

The reason why Nvidia's demos are far better in demonstrating raytracing is because they A. invested a ton of money into hiring an inhouse team of high end artists (I know of a few of them, like https://www.artstation.com/scrutch, and https://www.artstation.com/hexeract) to work on these demos.

AMD is trying to catch up and are starting to see the value in high end demonstrations of their hardware.

Last edited:

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
If it's a benchmark then sure they can. And there's also 3DMark.
If they want to use a video presentation of 3DMark Port Royal for marketing purposes/public showing, they will need to license it from UL (the copyright holders).

The rules differ for press and media, if used in reviews. They can use footage without licensing, but can not claim copyright ownership of the video in which it appears.

I am sure AMD and/or Microsoft wanted to have full ownership of their demo, and to offer a presentation that could not be directly compared to exisiting products as RDNA2 is still in development.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If they want to use a video presentation of 3DMark Port Royal for marketing purposes/public showing, they will need to license it from UL (the copyright holders).
They could just use the numbers if AMD wanted to compare their performance to Nvidia. DXR is an API, the output should match visually regardless of HW being used and 3DMark is an application designed for benchmarking. But they clearly do not want any comparisons yet and since you cannot run this demo on your own HW (and the demo isn't showing anything new compared to previous DXR usage) it's pretty boring marketing exercise.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they gave a talk on inline ray tracing, the reason they didn't use someone else's demo was because those didn't support DXR1.1. This demo was probably an in-house renderer made to the new spec. If anything supported the updated api, they'd be here themselves

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They could just use the numbers if AMD wanted to compare their performance to Nvidia. DXR is an API, the output should match visually regardless of HW being used and 3DMark is an application designed for benchmarking. But they clearly do not want any comparisons yet and since you cannot run this demo on your own HW (and the demo isn't showing anything new compared to previous DXR usage) it's pretty boring marketing exercise.
He doesn't know what he's talking about. AMD is sponsoring 3DMark development, alongside with many other IHVs. They don't need any license to show it in any form because they have it, by default.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, I agree. That's what I meant by my last paragraph. It's done this way specifically to avoid comparisons with current hardware.

This is also a very good point, regarding DXR 1.1:
Considering they gave a talk on online ray tracing, the reason they didn't use someone else's demo was because those didn't support DXR1.1. This demo was probably an in-house renderer made to the new spec. If anything supported the updated api, they'd be here themselves