• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Even that didn't look as good as the Nvidia demo's. And the performance sacrifice just seems unreasonable to me. I get the feeling amd are just lagging a bit in the RT area. Hopefully things mature a bit by the time these machines launch because shiny as shit assets isn't what I want tbh.

It kinda reminds me of when normal maps happened and everything had that plastic doom 3 aesthetic for a while.

That Minecraft demo was full on path traced. Which i believe is more demanding than ray tracing. The fact it's running on the series x this far ahead of release is impressive.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even that didn't look as good as the Nvidia demo's. And the performance sacrifice just seems unreasonable to me. I get the feeling amd are just lagging a bit in the RT area. Hopefully things mature a bit by the time these machines launch because shiny as shit assets isn't what I want tbh.

It kinda reminds me of when normal maps happened and everything had that plastic doom 3 aesthetic for a while.
granted that was 4 weeks of work by one person

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that demo's RT was technically impressive, but artistically it looked so ugly it was hard to be impressed.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically impressive I suppose, but not visually appealing at all. REFLECTIONS!!! Everything else looked like crap, definitely not like what I would expect in a next-gen game.

I'm more impressed by raytraced lighting a'la Minecraft.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
An experienced graphics developer with knowledge of raytracing and existing hardware can actually guess quite a bit of what's going on.
That is not how it works though. Experienced graphics programmer if anyone knows there are infinite amount of hacks and ways to introduce constraints in order to optimize one case. The more general something needs to be the less you know about its limitations without seeing actual performance details and source code since one-time ricks and tailored scenes are out of the question.

What really separates this from pure-SW only solution like what Crytek uses? Why there are so many planar-y surfaces and trace depth is poor? Performance numbers? It's marketing material for sure and not too convincing so far.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
People complaining about art when the performance is what is ugly about this demo :p
Though the performance was expected to be worse than RT cores, so that was expected.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That Minecraft demo was full on path traced. Which i believe is more demanding than ray tracing. The fact it's running on the series x this far ahead of release is impressive.
I don't think SX is going to have much trouble with RT due to 52 CU's, but the PS5 i dunno, i feel like that is going to be 2060 RTX tier at best. We will see anyway.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
The point of the demo is that every single surface is using 100% real time reflections

Yes the art direction is ugly, but the fact that it's even possible is pretty nuts.

I was just playing RE3 DEMO on my X1X last night and the game looked beautiful, but anytime I walked past something reflective (subway car, glass, mirror, puddle, etc) I just went right past with no reflection and I will admit it kinda got tagged in my brain as (hmm, kinda disappointing) because of all this tech on the precipice of becoming reality.

Nov 14, 2017
I get that it's ugly, but it's a great tech demo. I think every surface in it is reflective. It's literally a raytraced reflection test demo.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
XGS must find solutions for how to push RT to its climax if it does things as DF suggests the SX could be the most ambitious machine for using RT.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If its slower than existing nvidida rt tech, we arent getting reytraced games on consoles

But we are getting ray traced games on consoles. Thank nvidia for kicking off ray tracing then in a few years thank Sony and Microsoft for dedicating hardware to it in consoles.

The adoption rate will go up and many more of the studios out there will optimize their engines for it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why AMD waited to do RT if DX12U was in the works for so long. The 5700/XT could have had RT support but they chose not to.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Some tech demos I hope turn into real games. This isn't one of them. It gets the job done, I guess, but they could have used something a bit more appealing.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They were showing off reflections there (and maybe shadows?) - they could have just shown off BFV or Control. Or heck, the 3d mark DXR benchmark - which is actually a very pretty demo while showing off a lot of rt.
They have marketing support from Nvidia, I imagine that prohibits it

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How? You can buy a game and show it running on your h/w. There's nothing stopping you from doing this.

I'm sure there is, just as there are restrictions in how you can use music and movies for commercial useage and why you pay big bucks to do so. It's probably in the EULA

It's exactly how platform specific marketing deals work, you pay to associate the content with your product and prevent others from doing so.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there is, just as there are restrictions in how you can use music and movies for commercial useage and why you pay big bucks to do so. It's probably in the EULA
So all these benchmarks of different h/w in some game on YouTube are impossible then? Got it.

It's exactly how platform specific marketing deals work, you pay to associate the content with your product and prevent others from doing so.
Don't just make stuff up. It's not how marketing deals work, in PC GPU space at least. There's nothing preventing AMD from using any of NV marketed titles in their materials. In fact, they've done it more than a dozen of times in their official benchmarking guides at the launch of new CPUs/GPUs.

The only possible reason is them trying to avoid any direct comparisons between RDNA2 and Turing in RT performance for now.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So all these benchmarks of different h/w in some game on YouTube are impossible then? Got it.

Don't just make stuff up. It's not how marketing deals work, in PC GPU space at least. There's nothing preventing AMD from using any of NV marketed titles in their materials.

You don't know that. Any more than I know they have a deal.
The end.
Buying a game doesn't give you unlimited rights to do what you want with that IP and all of the content , art, music ,characters etc content ESPECIALLY if you are a huge business . See those cases of publishers enacting DCMA on videos when it doesn't suit them.

Are those youtube videos from AMD, or are they from a private individual? Do they show gameplay footage?

Even if this isn't the reason here,doesn't mean it doesn't/can't happen.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice, art style too, has a 90s/early 00s cgi vibe. Brings me back to og Xbox days of cool lazer sharp graphics in promo posters

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all those reflections and still looks unrealistic. maybe pair with global illumination and we'll have something,.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Ugly demo. I'd prefer better graphics and no AMD ray tracing to be honest.

Not only is it obviously less impressive than Nvidia's RTX, it's also less impressive than Imagination Technologies PowerVR Wizard GPU ray tracing.

And some of this PowerVR ray tracing is years old.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How? You can buy a game and show it running on your h/w. There's nothing stopping you from doing this.
As a company like AMD, you cant just record footage of games using your tech without having authorization and just publish it.
There is a very lengthy legal process involved in these things when you are a company

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I wonder if they could've chosen something better to represent RT because that was.. something. Lol. I'm going to maintain my hope that no matter how they implement this that it won't be at the cost of FPS.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Thank goodness you didn't have a hand in these machines then.

Thank goodness I didn't, I know. I'm just saying I'm not impressed with AMD's demo, and if that's anything to go on, I'd rather see more improved rasterization.

I'm sure developers will make the most of RDNA 2 RT though, since it's in both consoles and upcoming Radeon PC cards. Probably wider support than RTX.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness I didn't, I know. I'm just saying I'm not impressed with AMD's demo, and if that's anything to go on, I'd rather see more improved rasterization.

I'm sure developers will make the most of RDNA 2 RT though, since it's in both consoles and upcoming Radeon PC cards. Probably wider support than RTX.

I think you'll get both. Lighting is gonna be bonkers next gen.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's pretty not-possible. if they make an Xbox version, they inherently make a Nvidia-supported game thanks to how DX12U work

Hm. I wonder if they could've chosen something better to represent RT because that was.. something. Lol. I'm going to maintain my hope that no matter how they implement this that it won't be at the cost of FPS.
remake one of their old Ruby tech demos

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
As a company like AMD, you cant just record footage of games using your tech without having authorization and just publish it.
There is a very lengthy legal process involved in these things when you are a company
They could always use 3DMark or just release their own demo (which could be a problem if it requires the latest unreleased bits that DXR 1.1 does not already contain). I guess we need to wait until HW launch then.