• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
That was ugly as sin, and the frame rate was poor. If I were MS i would not want to be associated with this as advertisement. lol

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
lol..typical.
general public:: "raytracing is only about reflective shiny things, i dont care!"
developers: "no its not! its the future! but here is a demo with only shiny reflective things!"

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Not sure why people are complaining *again* about a technical presentation not being on par with consumers expectations.
This video is meant for developers to show them the capabilities of the system and the new API under a reasonable amount of stress.
And it's doing that just fine. Claiming that it sucks artistically and it doesn't look photorealistic it's very weird.
Why should it? It's meant to have all surfaces overly reflective, that's the entire point.
It's not meant to look good to consumers.

pappakenoo

Oct 28, 2017
Up there with the worst "showcase trailers" i have ever seen. Makes me NOT want Raytracing. Quite an achievment AMD.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Lol that really looks like something from the early 2000's

Even the low framerate and simple animations

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I do not think that was RT, but something else, right?

Ha sorry i can't find it back but no i'm talking old school raytracing demos, way before real time r for games, there was one with some sort of watch, jewels and chess with tons of reflection and bloom all over the place.

That demo makes me think of this kind of old school demo cause i think what's wrong with it is that it's just pure reflection everywhere and it wouldn't be really impressive without RT.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This was very technically impressive... which I guess is the point of a tech demo.

It was not however an artistic showcase

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are complaining *again* about a technical presentation not being on par with consumers expectations.
This video is meant for developers to show them the capabilities of the system and the new API under a reasonable amount of stress.
And it's doing that just fine. Claiming that it sucks artistically and it doesn't look photorealistic it's very weird.
Why should it? It's meant to have all surfaces overly reflective, that's the entire point.
Excuse me, I have to feel validated about my RTX purchase (that was totally worth it btw, I played Quake 2 RTX on medium settings on my 2060) so I need to attack the competitor's alternative even if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if that was the best of their RDNA2 GPUs, their entry level one, or whatever's roughly equivalent to the PS5/XSX (assuming the consoles are somewhere inbetween). The performance looked kinda meh but maybe that's just something about the video.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really flat and at times not very readable due to the lighting and insane amount of surface reflections.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Tbh this isn't really interesting for developers as there are no details how it differs from Nvidia, it might implement the same API but if the underlying HW is radically different it probably has different perf implications and that would be the interesting stuff, not some video without performance details or source code.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Claiming that it sucks artistically and it doesn't look photorealistic it's very weird.
The description for the demo (which is literally in the second post) clearly states:
AMD said:
This video is to give you a taste of the photorealistic realism DXR 1.1 will enable
Sure, you can talk about how this isn't aimed at consumers and therefore doesn't have to look pretty, but when you look at similar demos that NVidia puts out (like the Star Wars demo which also shows off reflections and is also linked in the second post) it really feels like that AMD (and Sony too since you referenced yesterday's presentation) do not understand that consumers are going to be exposed to this stuff and not properly understand how to show off their tech in both a practical but also an interesting way.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Haven't seen the video yet. But to those complaining.

is there something wrong with their implementation?

What are we supposed to be seeing?

Any 🍎 to 🍎 comparison with nvidia's solution?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It was very technically impressive, but that aint gonna do you any marketing favors kids. The art style was horrible and the characters were oversimplified.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

The complaints are about the presentation and NVidia is just better at presenting their tech is a more pleasing fashion.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

The AMD video everything is a shiny chrome surface in a very brightly lit world. The reflection handling was *really* impressive.

But it looked like an updated version of the dancing Xbox robot mixed with Beast Wars from a design standpoint.

Oct 25, 2017
This video is like time traveling back to 1999. Kitsh as hell, but I do kinda like its badness a little.

If they did indeed focus on reflections, shadows, and AO then they really should've adjusted the scene complexity to incorporate better lighting/GI as well. It looks incredibly flat. Doesn't help that there is very little color in the environment.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

What is this showing for a developer? What conclusions can you make from it?
That ray tracing exists and it's realtime?

This is the blog post they've linked:
community.amd.com

Powering Next-Generation Gaming Visuals with AMD RDNA 2 and DirectX 12 Ultimate

AMD has long been a strong supporter of next-generation, low-overhead graphics API technologies like Microsoft® DirectX® 12 that help take games to a whole new level. Therefore, we’re pleased to announce that in partnership with Microsoft we will provide full support for DirectX® 12 Ultimate in...

Which links to this post:
devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this showing for a developer? What conclusions can you make from it?
That ray tracing exists and it's realtime?

This is the blog post they've linked:
community.amd.com

Powering Next-Generation Gaming Visuals with AMD RDNA 2 and DirectX 12 Ultimate

AMD has long been a strong supporter of next-generation, low-overhead graphics API technologies like Microsoft® DirectX® 12 that help take games to a whole new level. Therefore, we’re pleased to announce that in partnership with Microsoft we will provide full support for DirectX® 12 Ultimate in...

Which links to this post:
devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...

In the presentation they do break down the demo from a development perspective (at a very high level)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why would developers of all people need such video to know what capabilities RT has?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Again compare it with Nvidia ones that are way more coherent and artistically done better.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
"RT does reflections". "Chrome City!!!!!" I hate that so much.. Just have a good image. The art is soooo bad.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL this was a throwback tech demo, reminds me of the early 2000's. Awful but it shows the feature.

Regardless of whether you like the demo or not you gotta be excited about the upcoming RDNA2 GPUs. They are going to help the uptake on real-time raytracing, along with the RDNA2 consoles. So far RTX has had horrible uptake from a game perspective, half a dozen games and most of them it's entirely forgettable, with a super-low efficiency.