• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
That was a horrible looking tech demo! The tech is cool, but that was not the way to show it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... looks like for people that care about raytracing, Nvidia will be the way to go.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
RT is supposed to make things look more realistic, you can't demonstrate that with some weird foreign looking mirror glass world....

I'm sure it's technically impressive how reflections and transparencies are handled in the video, but it doesn't look "good"

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
AMD needs to chill on the reflections. I get what they're trying to achieve but lol

They should have worked with MS to show something like Forza or something running with RT on.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
LOL maybe they should hire 3D artists that have a sense of what looks pleasant to the eye and have better ideas of how to use the technology.
The 3dmark 1999 feeling is all there.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I see the people in charge of the old Radeon box arts took creative lead here.

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, I love it because it reminds me of all those dumb cgi renders they used to put on boxes of video cards.

On the other hand, they should have made something that looked like an actual game or something. I get they want to go crazy showing off the effects but nobody is going to care if it is too ugly to watch.

I see the people in charge of the old Radeon box arts took creative lead here.

Exactly!

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
AMD needs to chill on the reflections. I get what they're trying to achieve but lol

They should have worked with MS to show something like Forza or something running with RT on.
Not sure if I want to see that.
maxresdefault.jpg

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I hope they show something better going forward because that is not a good way to sell people that care about RT on the upcoming AMD GPUs.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
On the one hand, I love it because it reminds me of all those dumb cgi renders they used to put on boxes of video cards.

On the other hand, they should have made something that looked like an actual game or something. I get they want to go crazy showing off the effects but nobody is going to care if it is too ugly to watch.

Exactly!
Hah I saw your post. Same idea, separated by a few seconds :p

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It looks so damn ugly. At least it shows reflections I guess? It really reminds me of 90s shitty CGI movies. Apart form the reflections, everything else looks awful.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What an ugly tech demo!
Cool Tech though!

It's like I've walk into the box art of every PC peripheral from 1998

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
That looked awful. I'm still not convinced by far tracing.

Nothing I've seen so far looks significantly better than what we already have.

It all looks too wet or overly shiny and plastic y.

I'm sure eventually there will be something that looks great to me but so far I think it's a waste.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
This seems really off. For something that's supposed to showcase lighting it looks like it lacks something. Weird lighting sources or something, I can't really tell.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
yep, there's a lot of reflections
Nice tech while simultaneously looking horrible.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah that demo made me not care about RT. Really really bad art style that just distracts you from the actual tech.

Hopefully people don't take this as what consoles will be able to churn out. They'll start to think that in order to have RT, graphics are gonna take a nose dive into 90s cgi.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Showing a demo with massive aliasing on edgy surfaces and ridiculously bad texture filtering doesn't really give much confidence in the underlying tech.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly very underwhelmed like all the raytracing seen so far. The only demo I've been impressed with so far is the Starwars demo.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
youtube should have the video of the guy explaining what we are seeing in the video and how it isnt possible previously. good stuff for a developer

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It looks like something built by someone who was instructed only that it had to showcase EVERY REFLECTION, from EVERY ANGLE.