• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
The term "concern trolling" is losing all meaning, when any valid concern is called that regardless of context. How is it trolling? You know what trolling is, right?

Concern trolling includes disingenuous "concerns" which I would say includes the above post making proclamations of RT doom based on absolutely zero evidence.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The pricing on low end card is the biggest let down. Why is that $580? Better RT performance, DLSS and Nvidia's drivers means I'd still probably go 3070 if they were priced the same even if AMD have a slight advantage in raster performance but at least there'd be a conversation.

At $580? Who is going to choose that over a 3070?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that the 3090 and the 6900XT are only a slight improvement over the 3080, the 3080 still looks like the card to get. I don't think the 6800XT is going to compare so well in ray tracing and doesn't have DLSS? It's a big jump in price to the 6900 vs the 3080. The 6800XT is too close in price to the 3080 to sway me to it over the Nvidia card. That said, I'm not too up on GPUs really, is the 6800XT really a good option over the 3080?

I'm astonished that there are GPU-warriors - that YouTube live chat sections was bonkers.

If I can actually buy it, yes. I've been trying to buy a 3080 since launch with no success.

Frogpuppy

Aug 9, 2020
Given that the 3090 and the 6900XT are only a slight improvement over the 3080, the 3080 still looks like the card to get. I don't think the 6800XT is going to compare so well in ray tracing and doesn't have DLSS? It's a big jump in price to the 6900 vs the 3080. The 6800XT is too close in price to the 3080 to sway me to it over the Nvidia card. That said, I'm not too up on GPUs really, is the 6800XT really a good option over the 3080?

I'm astonished that there are GPU-warriors - that YouTube live chat sections was bonkers.

Yeah to be honest I think I'll still go with Nvidia if these two gpu were similar performance-wise.
But AMD might release their own DLSS-like thing.
I hate exclusive features. Just imagine if AMD had their own RT and DLSS and we end up with half of games only supporting Nivida and the other half only AMD.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
At 4K. I'd be interested to see 8K performance.

3090 isn't really built for 4K gaming. It's mostly a workstation card that they're marketing for 8k gaming because it has so much VRAM
Yeah, a lot of folks on YT are wondering why it's being marketed as a gaming card at all. I didn't even know 8K sets an panels were out there in the wild.
It makes sense when everything gets sold out anyway.
You either give Nvidia or AMD an arm and a leg or you get their stone-age tech.
Yep, they'll sell every last card they can make this holiday. They could charge more for both the 6800 and 6800XT and get away with it.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding DLSS:

AMD teased a solution of its own as part of the company's open FidelityFX tools during today's presentation. Tucked away in the corner of the slide, there was a small box that simply said "Super Resolution."

Herkelman wouldn't go into details, but he confirmed to PCWorld that this will be AMD's open response to Nvidia's DLSS, designed to work on any graphics hardware—even APUs—and across various platforms, because AMD's RDNA 2 GPUs also power the next-gen PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Rasterization performance seems good but pricing seems whatever. Slight undercut over Nvidia outside of the 3090/6900XT, so much for AMD saving everyone from the "tyranny" of Nvidia/Intel. The writing was on the wall with the 5000 XT lineup and Zen 3.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Right now NVIDIA has DLSS, so I'm going 3060 or 3070 but if AMD has it's own DLSS-tech, then it's gonna be really interesing in the coming years...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The pricing on low end card is the biggest let down. Why is that $580? Better RT performance, DLSS and Nvidia's drivers means I'd still probably go 3070 if they were priced the same even if AMD have a slight advantage in raster performance but at least there'd be a conversation.

Kinda feels like they invested so much into aiming for the high end that it's hard to subsequently scale down for the lower end.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
So, from my understanding AMD is beating Nvidia in price:performance quite handedly with rasterization... I think it's going to be really really interesting to see how much of that ground Nvidia makes back up again with RT performance benchmarks. Especially since ray tracing is going to be a much bigger thing next generation.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always surprised how much people value DLSS on here. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the visual quality of it in every game I've tried it in - particularly in Control.

Like maybe future updates will have similar jumps to the one seen between 1.0 and 2.0 but for now I'd rather turn RTX off than have to use DLSS to keep at 60+ fps.
Same, i didnt even bother turning it on in Death Stranding.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Ehh. I'll take a $50 more expensive card for DLSS and better ray tracing performance (presumably.) I don't play in 4k so the higher bandwidth doesn't really affect me.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
6800 is a big yikes

$80 more expensive with higher power consumption than the 3070.

out of all of this you pulled out this?

you get 8gb more ram.

power consumption, really? on ~300 watt cards, you're really worried about what, a ten watt difference? when afaik amd has the edge on lower power consumption than nvidia on the other two cards which went unmentioned?

i do agree that was probably the most meh pricing though. Assuming you consider raster performance a wash (pending independent benchmarks etc) then you're paying $80 for 8GB more RAM. And then you could probably argue Nvidia brings more with DLSS/RT. For me a non decision I'm paying it, but I'm OCD about having enough VRAM. It's a red line. Most people arent that way. At least the 6800XT is $50 cheaper for similar (maybe slightly better) raster/more RAM than 3080.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
6800 is a big yikes

$80 more expensive with higher power consumption than the 3070.

How? It looks much faster

radeon-rx-6800-4k-100863935-orig.jpg

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how Nvidia will respond... maybe missing out on the 3080 so far will pay off

Delirium

Oct 27, 2017
Wow AMD really stepped up, competitive on all fronts now. I'm in the process of making a new PC rig and I'm totally unsure what GPU to go with now. I'm glad AMD is working on an answer to DLSS, but I wonder how long that will take to be implemented.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Concern trolling includes disingenuous "concerns" which I would say includes the above post making proclamations of RT doom based on absolutely zero evidence. I can't read the posters mind but it certainly doesn't seem genuine.
RT is such an important part of the stack moving in the present and the future.

It's fair for people to question AMD when they hold an entire conference on new GPUs, proudly show graphs with comparisons to Nvidia, but wholesale gloss over the RT performance.

This shouldn't need to be explained as not being concern trolling.

Drawing preliminary conclusions pending benchmarks is above board.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

there is 40 computer unit 6700XT with 12gb vram(rumored). That might be the $400 GPU.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017

I think it's priced to move you more towards a 6800XT card, which is very well priced vs the 3080.

Status
Not open for further replies.