• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Amazing tech MS built into the XSX/S!! We aren't even close to seeing what devs will pull off years to come
lzn8qkyvs1j51.png

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
VRS has nothing to do with FidelityFX though. It's a DX12U feature and Gears already uses it.

devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...

FidelityFX includes its own flavor of VRS, though who knows if it's any different to what is specifically included with DX12. It reads like FidelityFX leverages DX12's VRS support and does additional calculations.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
VRS has nothing to do with FidelityFX though. It's a DX12U feature and Gears already uses it.

devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...
Yep.

Good news is that FidelityFX has something to do with VRS through the Variable Shading toolkit on there. So it should help devs implement VRS into their games, improving performance "for free".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think FidelityFX's VRS is something that's applied through driver updates and a whitelist. VRS built into the game should run better though

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I would really be interested in a few months on hearing from developers that have worked with the GDK and FidelityFX on Xbox and PC to hear if it really is easier for them because of the shared graphics/toolkits between console and PC, or if it hasn't made a significant impact. I'm hoping it "just works" so everyone wins and performance improves across the board.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
FidelityFX is a suite of shaders provided as open source code and made for DirectX (11/12) and Vulkan. They were, are and will be available to any console out there.

I think FidelityFX's VRS is something that's applied through driver updates and a whitelist.
VRS is a h/w feature which is exposed through API. You still need to make use of that feature in your code - write some shader which will use the feature basically. FFX VRS is just that - an AMD written shader which use VRS h/w capability. Most of FidelityFX things are that.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Only SOME of the functions are available. We don't know if Super Resolution is, which is the real deal.

Select AMD FidelityFX effects are now available to developers on Xbox, via the Xbox Series X|S Game Development Kit (GDK).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Only SOME of the functions are available. We don't know if Super Resolution is, which is the real deal.

Select AMD FidelityFX effects are now available to developers on Xbox, via the Xbox Series X|S Game Development Kit (GDK).

It wasn't in their list of 12 FidelityFX features in the slide deck so I wouldn't assume it's a) available at all or b) Xbox is using it yet.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017

Super Resolution is not a thing yet and might still take a while to show up based on the recent words from an AMD rep. I would assume that once it is available it will be deployed on consoles. Besides MS are developing an ML-based Super Resolution on DirectML.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Because they implemented their own custom solution.
Uhm no. They don't have hardware VRS and also not a equivalent for it for example. Insiders talked about this. Xbox wasn't lying when they said they've waited for additional RDNA2 features, either.

So can we just stop with the months and months of "well PS has that, too!!!"? Like every freaking time, Xbox has a customization, it's downplayed by guys on resetera and it's annoying. After die shot of the PS5 we know a lot of the hardware and there are insiders who had access to the PS documents.

No, PS isn't doomed. No, PS5 isn't bad. It's a great console with own customization Xbox doesn't have. An Xbox is a console with customization PS doesn't have. Simple as that.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What specifically? AMD FX consist of multiple features and those are likely to come over, but this announcement is about Xbox/AMD. Having said that in this thread people also talked about stuff like SFS and in that case no, PS don't have SFS. PS5 (and Xbox) got Sampler Feedback, but that's not the same feature as SFS.

Last edited:

memortal

Feb 5, 2021
So what I understand is that these techniques will have drastic performance improvements over Series X|S, so here is my question for folks who are more into these technical stuff..

Do you guys think that Series S can achieve 4K (I know it's not built for 4k, asking to understand what this technology capable of) or most games can run 1080p 60 fps with Ray Tracing throughout the generation? ( thanks to the implementation of AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution ?)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So what I understand is that these techniques will have drastic performance improvements over Series X|S, so here is my question for folks who are more into these technical stuff..

Do you guys think that Series S can achieve 4K (I know it's not built for 4k, asking to understand what this technology capable of) or most games can run 1080p 60 fps with Ray Tracing throughout the generation? ( thanks to the implementation of AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution ?)
This isn't about FXSR and nobody has any clue what FXSR will bring to the table realistically.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
FidelityFX is a suite of shaders provided as open source code and made for DirectX (11/12) and Vulkan. They were, are and will be available to any console out there.

VRS is a h/w feature which is exposed through API. You still need to make use of that feature in your code - write some shader which will use the feature basically. FFX VRS is just that - an AMD written shader which use VRS h/w capability. Most of FidelityFX things are that.
Good info there

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Does the Xbox need to get updated? Or just the game?

Also, when can we expect to see this in games?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Does the Xbox need to get updated? Or just the game?

Also, when can we expect to see this in games?
This is part of the GDK, so developers will likely need to update their GDK and they still need to implement it in their games. These are essentially shaders and code bits to integrate within their engines for a little extra performance or visual clarity.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
No, because Series X will be able to leverage SFS, too. If you meant One X than yes, SFS among others things will let the Series S use the RAM pool much more efficiently than One X.

I am pretty sure the ram difference in size won't impact gameplay assuming devs ship lower res versions of textures for series s. There is still 10gb of ram which is way more than enough for 1080p gaming. I am just glad they did not gimp cpu on series s as that would have limited all multi platform and Xbox exclusives at a gameplay level.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This is part of the GDK, so developers will likely need to update their GDK and they still need to implement it in their games. These are essentially shaders and code bits to integrate within their engines for a little extra performance or visual clarity.
Thanks for the info. 👍
I saw the thread that RE8 will support it on pc. Hope they can add support for the Xbox too.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Just seen on the DF video that Resident Evil Village will be using AMD FidelityFX, so we dont have to wait much to see this tech in action.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is so anxious for the super resolution stuff lol. Glad we all want the same thing.
When asked about the feature's arrival during a pre-briefing on the new Radeon Software package last week, AMD senior product manager, Adrian Castelo, told us "when the time's right, and the time's appropriate" then we'll hear more about the feature and its release.

www.pcgamer.com

AMD still isn't ready to talk about FidelityFX Super Resolution

"When the time's right, and the time's appropriate."

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So these run on PS5 too? Nice.
On the website VRS is mentioned and the PS5 can do this. However there is no hardware support for it on PS. Here are tweets of a studio alluding to it and again insider (As I recall even DF said it once) know PS5 doesn't have hardware VRS, unlike Xbox. So the answer to your question is yes or kinda depending on what we talk about.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I thought that was just the PC version? Would there have been time to put it in the Xbox one?
I guess we need more clarification on which games will support these features on consoles. AMD actually doesn't have any info on which features of AMD FidelityFX will be supported for Village, only that the game will be enhanced with ray tracing and AMD FidelityFX. Given the announcement today we should find out soon what games will support this, if not all games moving forward (games that use FidelityFX ).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the benefit from using AMD's version over standard Adaptive Sharpening or Ambient Occlusion? Seems like most of this stuff can already be done without FidelityFX.
¯\(ツ)

it's open source, so if there are improvements to be made, one could make them. I heard Nvidia's freestyle sharpening is based on it

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
What's the benefit from using AMD's version over standard Adaptive Sharpening or Ambient Occlusion? Seems like most of this stuff can already be done without FidelityFX.

The benefit is that AMD spent a lot of R&D optimizing for their own hardware. This can potentially save devs some time instead of developing their own methods which might also be less efficient.