• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"AMD CDNA architecture for GPU-based compute accelerators. GPUs without raster hardware is happening." -> So these are gonna be used for bitcoin mining and other hash operations that are compute intensive... No more infighting for graphics cards!
Good news indeed. The bitcoin madness drove prices sky high.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
"AMD CDNA architecture for GPU-based compute accelerators. GPUs without raster hardware is happening." -> So these are gonna be used for bitcoin mining and other hash operations that are compute intensive... No more infighting for graphics cards!
This would be incredibly stupid thing to do as it would kill a lot of synergy inside a GPU lineup. The only reason they are doing this now is because they have the last GCN remnant in the form of Arcturus which is pointless as a gaming GPU in RDNA era. It will die out eventually and all their GPUs will switch to RDNA, including the HPC ones.

Oct 31, 2019
All these nodes are "advanced nodes". It just means that they aren't sure about the node which RDNA3 will use - it may be 6 or 5 or 7 again.
Well unless you have a hand in the tape out process during the fab then you won't know first, but learn as with the rest of us when there is a deep breakdown by likes of Digital Foundry or Anandtech... But personally I bet for AMD 'advanced node' means their version of 7nm+.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I was a bit confused by them including Apple's Mac Pro and the Pro Display on one of the slides under gaming.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Good news indeed. The bitcoin madness drove prices sky high.
A. You can't mine bitcoins on GPUs.
B. You can still mine crypto tokens on RDNA GPUs. If the prices will go into the sky again it will likely be way more economical to do this again instead of purchasing a server "compute accelerator" GPU for $5000.

Well unless you have a hand in the tape out process during the fab then you won't know first, but learn as with the rest of us when there is a deep breakdown by likes of Digital Foundry or Anandtech... But personally I bet for AMD 'advanced node' means their version of 7nm+.
Again: all these nodes are considered as "advanced" in the industry right now, including Intel's 10nm and such. It just means "bleeding edge node", nothing more.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling.
Anything to back it up?

That makes more sense. Otherwise it would have been stuck at 45 for a while. Wich doesnt make sense offcourse.

Math.
Sony is at 108.9m and AMD said 150m so the difference is 41.1m.
But if AMD is using a rounded number like Zhuge claims I don't know so we can only trust him in that case.
And honestly it's not like 50m changes the situation. Xbox One has been a disaster for MS in terms of sales.

Oct 31, 2019
This would be incredibly stupid thing to do as it would kill a lot of synergy inside a GPU lineup. The only reason they are doing this now is because they have the last GCN remnant in the form of Arcturus which is pointless as a gaming GPU in RDNA era. It will die out eventually and all their GPUs will switch to RDNA, including the HPC ones.
They won't be GPUs per se they will be marketed differently and to just serious platform builders anyway. Not to people on the market for graphics cards, that's why it is said as 'compute accelerators' -> think like Nvidia Quadro

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
50M is p solid imo. Sure PS4 is a beast, but considering how MS started this gen (as in that X1 presentation) this could've gone waaaaay worse.

Mar 23, 2018
I wonder how many sold Xbox are Xbox One X models and how many of those XBX models are from players new to the Xbox brand or people who upgraded from an Xbox One S instead.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
44 million would be a pretty bad dropoff for MS. This gen has been a disaster for them.
Math.
But if AMD is using a rounded number like Zhuge claims I don't know so we can only trust him in that case.
And honestly it's not like 50m changes the situation. Xbox One has been a disaster for MS in terms of sales.
Ya'll keep misusing disaster. Xbox One was a disappointment but performed solidly. The Wii U was a disaster.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Math.

Gee. I thought, based on your first post, that it was about accuracy of sales, not about console war.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose 150+ and 160+ wouldn't make a huge difference to AMD's investors, and will ensure AMD maintains plausible deniability regarding revealing Xbox One figures.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
50M for Xbox isn't that bad actually. Sure it's a disappointment and a huge step down from last-gen but after their terrible launch, it's at least something they can recover and build upon for the upcoming gen.

Oct 31, 2019
A. You can't mine bitcoins on GPUs.
B. You can still mine crypto tokens on RDNA GPUs. If the prices will go into the sky again it will likely be way more economical to do this again instead of purchasing a server "compute accelerator" GPU for $5000.
A. Wrong. You can.
B. So you claim to know or even predict their asking price even though the hw isn't even produced but only on the roadmap. Got it!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
44 million would be a pretty bad dropoff for MS. This gen has been a disaster for them.
It's why most reasonable people are expecting a better showing for the next Xbox. 44 million is not a disaster but I guess that's the way you want to interpret things. It started off as a disaster but thankflly Phil got better support from the new CEO. Since then they've rectified the power disadvantage with beautifully designed new hardware, made waves being more pro-consumer with how they've handled BC and crossplay GamePass plus PC support, and doubled their studios.

The WiiU was a disaster, selling 40 million plus isn't.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User warned: Trolling, Platform Warring
Wow, Sony really destroyed Microsoft in console sales this gen didn't they.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They won't be GPUs per se they will be marketed differently and to just serious platform builders anyway. Not to people on the market for graphics cards, that's why it is said as 'compute accelerators' -> think like Nvidia Quadro
Nvidia Quadro is not a "compute accelerator", it's a professional videocard made on the same GPUs you see in GeForce. You're thinking about Tesla. But Tesla uses a dedicated silicon only in the highest end of the spectrum - and it's still a fully capable GPU (Volta GV100) which you can build a videocard on (i.e. Titan V).
Nv does this for a reason: it gives them a lot of flexibility in covering different markets with the same base product. They have been very successful at that.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Some of you have never seen one of these huh? Its going to be boring unless you're very much into financials related to their product roadmaps. There is some interesting tech stuff but its going to be boring for the most part.

Oct 31, 2019
t7pRJOvdyQlq3qs4.jpg

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A. Wrong. You can.
B. So you claim to know or even predict their asking price even though the hw isn't even produced but only on the roadmap. Got it!
A. You can't. Learn a bit before saying "wrong" to me about these things.
B. You expect them to sell this "compute accelerator" for the price of 5600XT?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Xbox One is at 44 million at least. Who knows how much over that they are.
To be precised, it's 108.9m as of Dec 31 2019 for Sony (shipped therefore already manufactured) and AMD probably took shipped numbers from Sony's fiscal report to do their estimates (shipped numbers > sold-through numbers to inflate their own stat)
That means 44+ for Ms /s
I feel like they are at these numbers since forever
More like closer to 40m.
Just kinda shows how poorly the platform has performed outside of the NA and UK territories, really.

Either way, that seems like healthy number between two consoles. Lower than the previous gen, probably, but healthy.

According to Daniel Ahmad Xbox is over 50 million. I remember seeing the 45 million number years ago

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Again Zen 3 showing as 7nm....

Surely not too slides with a mistake.

Either they want to stop saying 7nm+ or they are staying on 7nm for now.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
A. You can't. Learn a bit before saying "wrong" to me about these things.
B. You expect them to sell this "compute accelerator" for the price of 5600XT?

Regarding your A statement.
a.) You could before. (coming from someone that did it back in the early days)

Have no idea if that statement holds firm now, but I think the difficulty is too high already. It started to get harder back then

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
If you look at the rumored die sizes of the Big Navi chips, they are quite large, I don't think they are on 7nm+ IMO.
Claims in October 2019 were that 7nm+ has comparable yields as 7nm:
TSMC has announced that their 7nm+ (N7+) lithography technology has entered high volume manufacturing and is already offering similar yields to the company's original 7nm (N7) process.
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...acturing_-_euv_manufacturing_for_the_masses/1

Currently I see no reason to believe that AMD changed plans.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Math.

I can help you reframe this in fewer words:

"I was factually incorrect so I'm going to move the goalposts."

Happy to help.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding your A statement.
a.) You could before. (coming from someone that did it back in the early days)

Have no idea if that statement holds firm now, but I think the difficulty is too high already. It started to get harder back then
Sure you could. But you couldn't already even back during the last mining craze and you sure can't now - you can technically but you will essentially be spending money on electricity and gaining nothing as a result; not sure if this can even be considered "mining".

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Claims in October 2019 were that 7nm+ has comparable yields as 7nm:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...acturing_-_euv_manufacturing_for_the_masses/1

Currently I see no reason to believe that AMD changed plans.
I know all of this. They used to talk about 7nm+ in their sides as well. To me, this is very odd.

I 100% expected they were in 7nm+ R&D starting early 2018 with mass production beginning in October. The question is:

1.) why would they suddenly stop talking about 7nm+
2.) why isn't it reflected in the rumored die size.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Sure you could. But you couldn't already even back during the last mining craze and you sure can't now - you can technically but you will essentially be spending money on electricity and gaining nothing as a result; not sure if this can even be considered "mining".

Yup that parts true. But it definitely wasn't impossible to do so on even Nvidia cards (which sucked if you wanted to do it on them).
Keep in mind I was in it before the mining craze. But got out of it before it hit the big boom...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I just see it as an oversight or AMD generalizing 7nm nodes.
I am not ruling that out.

I 100% expected they were in 7nm+ R&D starting late 2018/early 2019 with mass production beginning in October 2019. The question is:

1.) Why would they suddenly stop talking about 7nm+?
2.) Why isn't it reflected in the rumored die size?

I would not expect them to marginalize the gains they would see moving to 7nm+