• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear confirmation. I was like 95% sure that the rumor if delay was false.

Question for folks: Will there be new motherboards launching with 4000 series, or is B550/X570 it? Just wondering if I should be on the look out for any deals on the new B550 boards from now until Zen 3 launches.

Just the B550 and X570. This is the end of the AM4 generation, so I doubt they'd make new boards when AM5 is out in 2-3 years.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for folks: Will there be new motherboards launching with 4000 series, or is B550/X570 it? Just wondering if I should be on the look out for any deals on the new B550 boards from now until Zen 3 launches.
there's the A520 but that, allegedly, won't have PCIe 4.0 support

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good news! - now watch it be a paper launch in 2020 with actual availability in January 2021.

Hopefully not
Come October I want to get an AMD 4900x +3080Ti to replace my intel 4970k +1080Ti

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Excellent. I may not even be able to get anything at all this year but the idea of an XT with no efficiency improvements and AMD recommending we use 280mm AIO's was super stupid. I'll look into whatever the Zen 3 equivalent of a 3600X is.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Just the B550 and X570. This is the end of the AM4 generation, so I doubt they'd make new boards when AM5 is out in 2-3 years.
there's the A520 but that, allegedly, won't have PCIe 4.0 support
Hmm sounds good. I guess I'll keep my eye out for any deals.

If anyone is thinking of pairing a Zen 3 CPU with a B550 board, this Google doc has all the details listed for each board so you can easily compare them.

Also this seems pretty comprehensive for B550 ITX boards. I'm planning on going with an NCASE M1 (if shipping opens up to Canada again anytime soon)... Probably going to go with the ASRock Gaming ITX as it has the front USB-C header and I've heard mixed impressions with the Asus board this time around.
docs.google.com

B550 ITX Boards

Sheet1 Brand,ASRock,ASRock,ASUS,Gigabyte,MSI Image Model,<a href="https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXax/index.asp">B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax</a>,<a href="https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp">B550M-ITX/ac</a>,<a href="https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-ST...

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

As I posted in the delayed thread it wasn't a good look for AMD if already they were so "comfortable" to delay products.

Personally I will wait for Ryzen 5xxx (new socket, new PCIe, etc).

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm sounds good. I guess I'll keep my eye out for any deals.

Also this seems pretty comprehensive for B550 ITX boards. I'm planning on going with an NCASE M1 (if shipping opens up to Canada again anytime soon)... Probably going to go with the ASRock Gaming ITX as it has the front USB-C header and I've heard mixed impressions with the Asus board this time around.
docs.google.com

B550 ITX Boards

Sheet1 Brand,ASRock,ASRock,ASUS,Gigabyte,MSI Image Model,<a href="https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXax/index.asp">B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax</a>,<a href="https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp">B550M-ITX/ac</a>,<a href="https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-ST...

I'm planning on using an ITX board myself, but am going with MSI. Their board also has a USB type 3 front header, as well as S/PDIF output in the rear. This would work great for my DAC unit, so I wouldn't have to use up a USB port for it. Also, I think it's ASRock that has their SATA headers 90 degrees from everyone else's orientation, which may be an issue for certain cases.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet, thought it seemed stupid to keep reiterating it's coming this year, even recently and then suddenly change.

Hoping to upgrade this year so looking forward to see how these go. Would be the first time trying out AMD.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on using an ITX board myself, but am going with MSI. Their board also has a USB type 3 front header, as well as S/PDIF output in the rear. This would work great for my DAC unit, so I wouldn't have to use up a USB port for it. Also, I think it's ASRock that has their SATA headers 90 degrees from everyone else's orientation, which may be an issue for certain cases.
I've read that about ASRock as well. Do you know how loud/annoying the active cooling is on the MSI? That has me weary.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
BRB, my froggy ass bought a 3900x due to the rumor so I gotta change into my new fit.

model1.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've read that about ASRock as well. Do you know how loud/annoying the active cooling is on the MSI? That has me weary.

The fan on the board is for the M2 slot but you can conteol/disable it in bios. Other MSI B550 boards don't have the fan so I assume you can turn it off.

Also, the Asus board has a review out, and it looks like it has the worst power stages of all the B550 itx boards while also being the most expensive.

www.pctestbench.com

ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming AM4 Motherboard Review

It wasn’t too long ago that picking out an ITX motherboard meant that you had to live with some pretty serious compromises. The ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming k

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
B550 boards confuse me. They're like 150 bucks and not as good as the X570 boards at the same price (I just bought an Asus TUF Gaming X570 for 165 bucks). What is their main draw?

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
The fan on the board is for the M2 slot but you can conteol/disable it in bios. Other MSI B550 boards don't have the fan so I assume you can turn it off.

Also, the Asus board has a review out, and it looks like it has the worst power stages of all the B550 itx boards while also being the most expensive.

www.pctestbench.com

ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming AM4 Motherboard Review

It wasn’t too long ago that picking out an ITX motherboard meant that you had to live with some pretty serious compromises. The ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming k
Yea I plan on having at least 1 SATA SSD, so if I can make it work with the ASRock I'm leaning that way, otherwise I'll have to go with the MSI board. The Gigabyte board seems solid, but no front USB-C + the socket sits higher so the Noctua C14S probably won't fit in the NCASE. ASRock has more rear USB3.2 ports as well (ASRock: 1 Gen2 C, 1 Gen2 A, 4 Gen1) vs MSI (1 Gen2 C, 1 Gen2 A, 2 Gen1).

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Gordon from PCWorld redeemed from the live show yesterday

We were all giving him crap in the chat lol

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
B550 boards confuse me. They're like 150 bucks and not as good as the X570 boards at the same price (I just bought an Asus TUF Gaming X570 for 165 bucks). What is their main draw?
Half step between PCIE 3 and 4 for people who won't be jumping onto 4 for a long time. But even then I guess you could still just get a 570 anyways?

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Half step between PCIE 3 and 4 for people who won't be jumping onto 4 for a long time. But even then I guess you could still just get a 570 anyways?
I recall that the B550 boards only allow GPUs to access the pcie 4.0 lane. But like you said, for essentially the same price why would you not go with the superior board?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just bought a 3600 for a friend today, but it's not like this will get old quickly lol

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I want a board with at least two M2 PCIE 4.0 slots (gotta compete with PS5!) and one GPU 4.0 slot, so that would be more than likely an X570 correct, since the B550 is split between cpu/mb 4.0 and 3.0?

Think we will get new x570 boards near the Ryzen4000 release? I don't want to be sitting day 1 paying scalper prices for an X570 boards.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So why are they releasing the XTs then?
They've just given them the "XT" for marketing purposes for this refresh because of a significant improvement in yields of higher binned CPUs which is why more recent production of the original were more capable of higher clocks.
You'd be better off waiting, watch of them but with the way things are going it might be best to just wait for Zen 3 anyway.
Good to hear confirmation. I was like 95% sure that the rumor if delay was false.

X670 is almost certainly coming along with Zen 3, they've released a new board with every generation and there's improvements to be had along from dropping the cooling fan on the chipset. Besides that, they'll need mobos with out of the box support for Zen 3. It being the end of the line for AM4 is kind of irrelevant since it's not like AM5 is going to show up a week, six months or possibly even a year later from when Zen 3 comes out.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sorry for the bump but I think this is the most recent topic for Zen 3?

Whenever this launches, I'm gonna need serious help when it comes to choosing a motherboard. I have no idea about what makes a motherboard good or bad.
Do we know what the new chipsets will be when Zen 3 launches? How do I know which chipset I'll need? I'm not sure which exact CPU I'll get, but I know I want at least 16 threads, and I want to overclock.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Whenever this launches, I'm gonna need serious help when it comes to choosing a motherboard. I have no idea about what makes a motherboard good or bad.
Do we know what the new chipsets will be when Zen 3 launches? How do I know which chipset I'll need? I'm not sure which exact CPU I'll get, but I know I want at least 16 threads, and I want to overclock.
Basically there are two choices you would only want anyway. This is the end of life for the am4 platform, so you will not be able to upgrade to a future 5000 CPU without a new motherboard.

B550 for the cheaper board that supports PCIe4, and X570 if you want more features.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Basically there are two choices you would only want anyway. This is the end of life for the am4 platform, so you will not be able to upgrade to a future 5000 CPU without a new motherboard.

B550 for the cheaper board that supports PCIe4, and X570 if you want more features.
But aren't these the current chipsets? Aren't there going to be new chipsets for when Zen 3 launches?

What are the extra features of X570 in comparison with B550?

And yes, I know I'll have no upgrade paths. Waiting for a 5000 CPU is unreasonable for me. I want a desktop PC soon, I'm willing to wait for Zen 3 and Ampere but that's it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's also the A520 for a cheaper option of AM4, but it doesn't support PCIE 4.0

www.techpowerup.com

ASRock A520M Pro4 Motherboard Pictured, A520 Platform Lacking PCIe Gen4 Confirmed

Here's the first picture of an ASRock A520M Pro4 Micro-ATX Socket AM4 motherboard based on AMD's upcoming A520 entry-level chipset that succeeds the A320. The picture reveals a spartan, well laid out motherboard that appears to cover all the segment essentials needed for entry-level builds using...

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017

New chipsets typically bring upgrades in I/O. So the hypothetical upgrades we are expecting are maybe an upgrade in the way the chipset handles PCIE gen. 4, maybe more lanes, additional USB 3.1 gen.2 support on the chipset, potentially USB 4 (unlikely), and other stuff like that.

On your question about what makes a motherboard good, it depends on what you need. As a base, you want a good VRM design that does not overheat and is efficient at delivering power to the CPU. Memory topology is also important if you care about overclocking above XMP speeds. Also the BIOS design makes a huge difference when it comes to setting up your machine and managing things like memory profiles, configuring storage, fan curves, etc...

I, for example, need plenty of SATA and USB ports (including front panel 3.1 gen 2 type-0), as well as 3 PCIE slots x16/x8/x4 each (GPU, capture card, 10GbE) and a good VRM. When it comes to BIOS design, I am partial to Gigabyte and Asrock (it has gotten better lately).

What are the extra features of X570 in comparison with B550?

Essentially more I/O and storage options. If that matters to you, I suggest going with X570

Last edited:

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
My wife's computer fried last month so I had to build a new one for her with a Asus Tuf X570plus and 3600. Hopefully could still upgrade if possible to Zen 3

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
New chipsets typically bring upgrades in I/O. So the hypothetical upgrades we are expecting are maybe an upgrade in the way the chipset handles PCIE gen. 4, maybe more lanes, additional USB 3.1 gen.2 support on the chipset, potentially USB 4 (unlikely), and other stuff like that.

On your question about what makes a motherboard good, it depends on what you need. As a base, you want a good VRM design that does not overheat and is efficient at delivering power to the CPU. Memory topology is also important if you care about overclocking above XMP speeds. Also the BIOS design makes a huge difference when it comes to setting up your machine and managing things like memory profiles, configuring storage, fan curves, etc...

I, for example, need plenty of SATA and USB ports (including front panel 3.1 gen 2 type-0), as well as 3 PCIE slots x16/x8/x4 each (GPU, capture card, 10GbE) and a good VRM. When it comes to BIOS design, I am partial to Gigabyte and Asrock (it has gotten better lately).

Essentially more I/O and storage options. If that matters to you, I suggest going with X570
So you recommend just getting X570 rather than whatever the new chipsets are? Thanks.

Also, if I get a X570 board can I just put a Ryzen 4000 CPU in there? Don't I need an older CPU in order to update the BIOS first?