• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Just yesterday i was thinking of changing to amd for the first time ever,i was looking at the 3900x.
Maybe i'll wait a little bit longer.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Tells you all you need to know, their cards are shit and they're sending them out to die.

No it doesn't.

Their chips are mainly going to consoles which are lot more guaranteed in sales vs desktop. Desktop gpu amd consumers are going to be miniscule vs other markets they serve or wish to enter.

AMD doesn't really compete vs nvidia in higher markets, they definitely trade in middle. AMD will never have nvidia supply, so even if they were putting up competition in the desktop space on the gpu they would need to fix this problem, drivers, and features to even fight for throne which no one but 3dfx and nvidia has sat upon.

Someone already said it but it will be said again for the amount of money and wafer space amd will waste on 3080 level or higher chip they can make 2 to 3 threadrippers. So they aren't going to use foundry space on a goal that is fed enough from one market and won't produce much in the other. AMD is very content to be in 2nd place in desktop space for gpus, I don't like their posturing but I vote with my wallet.

Just yesterday i was thinking of changing to amd for the first time ever,i was looking at the 3900x.

If you wait you can get that product cheaper or a better product at the same price in the next few months.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

I would wait. As they said the GPUs are releasing before next gen (Nov 10th) yet the GPU reveal is not until 28th Oct. So CPUs on store shelves earlier than that by a few weeks.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would wait. As they said the GPUs are releasing before next gen (Nov 10th) yet the GPU reveal is not until 28th Oct. So CPUs on store shelves earlier than that by a few weeks.

Would not be surprised if we get a "and they're available TODAY" announcement w/ Zen 3.

thats my dream anyway

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Man, I feel like PC tech is progressing so fast lately. You buy one thing and the next year it's almost obsolete. I must be completely wrong though, because I'm talking from my point of view as a consumer and I'm not really versed in these topics.

It depends on what you mean by obsolete.

In terms of there being something new and shiny, sure, that will continue to happen every couple of years. That's just PC tech marching on. But in terms of what should actually matter to you as a consumer? I don't think so.

It's not like your 1080 or your 2070, or whatever stops working the moment these things show up. Hell, that's actually a concern on the console space much more than anything in the PC space. At what point will the PS4 stop seeing the latest version of new games? Probably a lot sooner than whenever your 1080 or 2060 will stop being able to play the same new titles (just at lower settings or resolution or frame rate).

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wonder if Microsoft will ever come up with some sort of DirectX platform agnostic DLSS alternative. They have an incentive to get something that can run on the Xbox, so that would likely spill back over onto the PC.

If it took as much work as Nvidia has lead us to believe then I don't see AMD coming up with anything by themselves.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
No it doesn't.

Their chips are mainly going to consoles which are lot more guaranteed in sales vs desktop. Desktop gpu amd consumers are going to be miniscule vs other markets they serve or wish to enter.

AMD doesn't really compete vs nvidia in higher markets, they definitely trade in middle. AMD will never have nvidia supply, so even if they were putting up competition in the desktop space on the gpu they would need to fix this problem, drivers, and features to even fight for throne which no one but 3dfx and nvidia has sat upon.

Someone already said it but it will be said again for the amount of money and wafer space amd will waste on 3080 level or higher chip they can make 2 to 3 threadrippers. So they aren't going to use foundry space on a goal that is fed enough from one market and won't produce much in the other. AMD is very content to be in 2nd place in desktop space for gpus, I don't like their posturing but I vote with my wallet.

If you wait you can get that product cheaper or a better product at the same price in the next few months.

They're not in second place, they're in an effectively non-existent last place with less than 10% desktop dGPU marketshare. It sounds like they would be better off exiting the desktop GPU industry entirely, no point wasting wafers or R&D on such a meaningless segment.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
10 series were overpriced by some 10-20% for a couple of months after launch due to supply not satisfying the demand. Not sure how people are forgetting this.
And in about 9 months after 10 series launch there was a 1080Ti launch at which point the 1070 and 1080 got a $50 and $100 price cuts.
Then there was a mining thing but it's hardly something which happens all the time.
20 series got what was basically a price cut with 20 Supers a year after launch.

Which is again a good reason to wait it out till the supply will get to a point where the cards will be sold at MSRP at least instead of with some +20% markup.

If you're going to wait a year for x0y0, might as well wait an additional year for (x+1)0y0

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Man, I feel like PC tech is progressing so fast lately. You buy one thing and the next year it's almost obsolete. I must be completely wrong though, because I'm talking from my point of view as a consumer and I'm not really versed in these topics.

It's not really making the old stuff obsolete, but it's still making good jumps. Enough to make very good tech incredible affordable (like a R5 2600 or R5 3600, excelent CPUs for gaming and quite cheap. If there was enough stock, think about the R3 3300x performing like an i7 7700k for $130).

PC Tech always makes you feel that you might be obsolete, but remember that it's the idea to make you buy new stuff. Once you realize it's not really needed, then you are all good.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Microsoft will ever come up with some sort of DirectX platform agnostic DLSS alternative. They have an incentive to get something that can run on the Xbox, so that would likely spill back over onto the PC.

If it took as much work as Nvidia has lead us to believe then I don't see AMD coming up with anything by themselves.

Just light rumors, the current one that has me piqued as directml appearently can be mixed with some sort of DRS/CBS solution. I'm not the first to mention it here and there bits of this lurking reddit or parts youtube vids.

The 2 mentioned tech with that sharpening tech aren't bad if they can get a good overall package to mix them.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Ok.... what does that have to do with any of what we're discussing? I mean you get what you pay for. A 3070 is going to be more powerful than the most powerful next gen console, and it'll be available BEFORE the next gen console even comes out. That's what you're paying for. A lot of people will just opt for a 3060 in 2021, which is going to still be more poweful than a series X just not by much, again, unless you take DLSS into account.
I just think it's apples and oranges to compare an entire consoles performance to just a GPU. It's not reasonable to expect consoles to be more powerful than what Nvidia puts out for the price they'd have to sell it at.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
They're not in second place, they're in last place and are effectively non-existent with less than 10% desktop dGPU marketshare. It sounds like they would be better off exiting the desktop GPU industry entirely.

I don't think the high-end market matters as much as Era thinks it does (90% of people aren't shopping for $500+ USD GPUs), but AMD has major marketing issues going on in the low-mid range. Things don't sell particularly well even when the price and performance is there.

A product like the RX570 that offers 4GB-8GB of VRAM, perfectly fine driver support, and slightly less than GTX 1060 performance shouldn't be getting eclipsed by the similarly priced GTX 1050Ti in the Steam hardware survey.

I don't know if it's a "brand power" issue, a marketing issue, or a lack of value-added features issue.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
They're not in second place, they're in an effectively non-existent last place with less than 10% desktop dGPU marketshare. It sounds like they would be better off exiting the desktop GPU industry entirely, no point wasting wafers or R&D on such a meaningless segment.

Thank you jroc. It is a desktop kind of discussion tbf.

They don't serve desktops like they used too or should be. Their not worried but they aren't going to throw out their fanatics when it doesn't cost them and they earn more profit on the architecture. They just won't stress it. I don't prefer this amd, but I also don't mind it compared to the amd that I've called out as not giving a shit about direct x or opengl performance for a variety of reasons. Money is money when it's still millions. Nvidia is a monolith in dGPU space and in ai/cloud. AMD is focused more apu or console efforts since the markets are far more rewarding and have decent growth. The R&D is so they can remain platform agnostic, why shoot away such a feature just because you're not the best. They also need some form of a live test bed to see how their ideas work, it's clear as fuck from console customization desktop/windpows space like ms is the bastard child for them in some aspects.

Majority of their gpus chips aren't Dgpu and they haven't cared to for 2 gens and what seems like 3 atm, you can do the math.

Not excusing but not gonna fret it with my 3080 pc setup incoming soon. If the product isn't bad and is cheap it will definietly be my XSS basis for midrange machines. Until 3060 shows up and cheap enough I got solutions till DDR5 and hopper come to the party.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I just think it's apples and oranges to compare an entire consoles performance to just a GPU. It's not reasonable to expect consoles to be more powerful than what Nvidia puts out for the price they'd have to sell it at.

But no one is saying that/expecting that. It is what it is. The argument of "Value" I don't think is applicable here and anyway it's very subjective.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I was going back and forth between ordering a new PC now and waiting a few months. Guess I'll wait then!

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I don't think the high-end market matters as much as Era thinks it does (90% of people aren't shopping for $500+ USD GPUs), but AMD has major marketing issues going on in the low-mid range. Things don't sell particularly well even when the price and performance is there.

I agree generally, but just kepe in mind that 10% of the PC gaming market is still a LOT of people, like well over 20 million. And those higher end GPU's tend to have a better profit margin than the lower end ones. Sure the lower end ones will sell 5 times as many so overlal they are a larger piece of the pie, but the hign end market isn't chump change either.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at doing a whole, clean, new build. I was looking at the 3900x for CPU at least, but I may hold off and see what Zen3 is about.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The last big GPU release was two years ago, which is actually pretty long - back in the Olden Times, new graphics cards came out every 6 months or so. Of course, they also didn't cost anywhere near $700 for the enthusiast card.

As for "obsolete", nah - I bought my current GPU three years ago, it still runs everything great. These new cards now have ray tracing, but unless you really care about that or running the newest games at 4k resolution, older cards are still fine. There's a lot of hype around them, but they've really hit the point where only the most extreme games will need newer cards to get good performance - games like Flight Simulator 2020 (though even that can run fine on older cards if you cut down the settings a bit - I mean heck, they are porting the game to Xbox One).

Or VR since with that you'll want a higher framerate, 90fps or better.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now do I buy a 3080 and let it just sit there for at least a month before Zen 3 turns up. How quick are AMD to launch CPUs once announced?

Think AMD will announce USB 4 support? Only other thing I want...

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, ready to build a new Zen 3 pc. I'm not going to be happy if the 16 core is held back to 2021, unless a novel sku 10-14 comes out. Binned toward a lower powered profile like 65w or a high frequency/agressively boosting 10+ core model would be interesting.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Even though we have to wait a long while for all AMD product to be detailed, I'm happy that we at least have clear timings.

Now we have clear dates for hyping up our big expectations.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have no interest in their GPUs, but I'd love to see what Zen 3 and the new Ryzen CPUs are all about.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Could it be possible they are purposely going after 3000 series launch to primarily undercut prices?
If so they could have scheduled their event for the 18th or 25th of Sept. They're showing up a full month late. I'm sure there is a good reason for it; I just don't know what it is. Like, surely they have the specs nailed down and can give us a preview. So why wait?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know that I'm gonna hold off on and risk 3080s going out of stock, in the hopes that RDNA2 might somehow be preferable.
Will wait for Zen 3 though.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to wait a year for x0y0, might as well wait an additional year for (x+1)0y0
You seem to have missed the point about 10 series being overpriced for two months due to high demand.
There are more reasons than just prices too, and I've already spelled them out.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
They are winning the CPU fight, clearly.

However the GPU fight with Nvidia, is crazy hard because those ampere GPU are so great this year...I seriously don't see how RDNA2 can fight those figures.

Powering the XSX/PS5 is great but it's not forcibly a sign that you have the better GPUs.

On an unrelated note, always found weird that the CEO of AMD is the niece of the CEO of Nvidia haha.
Correct me if I'm wrong but for gaming intel is still better especially comparing OC to OC

does anyone have leaks for zen 3 being able to reach high frequencies like 5ghz ? Core count doesn't matter I care about FPS in games.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking forward to seeing if they finally take over Intel in the gaming department/what my next CPU will be; i'm hoping the 3900X equivalent will have bumped up the core count.
Could it be possible they are purposely going after 3000 series launch to primarily undercut nvidias prices?
If that was the case, they would be doing so before the 3080 launches, let alone the 3070. By the time their GPUs launch, it's possible that a 3060 will be announced. It's not a good sign for them being competitive with regards to the (massively overpriced) 3090. Maybe they'll compete with the 3080 once their drivers are sorted out since that's been a consistent issue with AMD's GPU launches.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I am currently mostly playing Into the Breach, Jets N Guns 2 and Worms WMD. I can wait

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Perfect timing for the Zen3 3 (as long as it launches within a few weeks), really thing they missed on the RDNA2.

Doubt the RDNA2 will complete with the 3080, and coming out later will miss the big push to build before November that seems to be happening.

Zen3 4700 and 3080 for me, can't wait!

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
My R5 1600 is patiently waiting for a worthy successor. If not Zen3, maybe I will wait for DDR5 to come.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 comes out November 19th. I am going to wait for RDNA2 to be announced before upgrading my GPU. I've got a 2070S so I don't feel a burning rush, even though the 3080 looks legit; safer to wait until AMD's cards enter the field.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you've been following Kopite7kimi who seems to have a ton of insider info, these are the things you can expect this year.

1. They will have something to compete with the 82SM Nvidia part.
2. Something to do with AMD's Hawaii or Tahiti series.
3. Nvidia will counter with the Ti/Super series as soon as AMD launches their RDNA2 cards.
4. Wait for November before making any final purchasing decisions.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If you've been following Kopite7kimi who seems to have a ton of insider info, these are the things you can expect this year.

3. Nvidia will counter with the Ti/Super series as soon as AMD launches their RDNA2 cards.

Nah, they wont push Super or Ti cards just month after release. They might if RDNA 2 outperforms 3000 series by like 100% (lol), but you are more likely to get small pricing trim if they deem RDNA 2 to be big threat.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

1. They will have something to compete with the 82SM Nvidia part.
2. Something to do with AMD's Hawaii or Tahiti series.
4. Wait for November before making any final purchasing decisions.
Nvida ain't launching higher parts in November. Maybe the 3060.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
*shrugs* You can read into this tweet as you want then.

The tweet says 3070 ti, if that was true it still is not a higher part than the flagship 3080. Would be rather weird to expect 3070 in October and 3070 ti in November, but if that is the plan, nvidia will have to say something or a bunch of 3070 owners gonna be pissed.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The tweet says 3070 ti, if that was true it still is not a higher part than the flagship 3080. Would be rather weird to expect 3070 in October and 3070 ti in November, but if that is the plan, nvidia will have to say something or a bunch of 3070 owners gonna be pissed.
Like I said, I'm not the one making the decisions. You can blame Nvidia for this mess if it comes true.

This is stuff that he already predicted correctly MONTHS ago (in January).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
*shrugs* You can read into this tweet as you want then.

We haven't gotten the 3070 yet, how will we get a Super (99%) or Ti "soon"?
NV obviously has plans at countering RDNA2 launches but launching a whole bunch of new cards a couple of months after the release of the new lineup isn't it.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but for gaming intel is still better especially comparing OC to OC

does anyone have leaks for zen 3 being able to reach high frequencies like 5ghz ? Core count doesn't matter I care about FPS in games.
terms of raw power for gaming, sure. But AMD has taken a big chunk out of the market overall with price/performance that intel just coulnt match, or hasnt been able to since Zen launched