• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. AMD just conceded. how are you going to let the RTX 3080 launch without even showing what you have?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Not putting out any GPU related information until pretty much November is such a bizarre decision.

You don't want to do anything to dissuade people from buying Ampere?

I have heard that 6 cores could end up being bottlenecks when next gen games roll around. If that is the case, and the 4600 is an 6 core, could that become an actual issue?
6-core CPUs becoming a bottleneck for powerful GPUs is still a hypothetical.

I mean, it will probably happen, but will come to fruition in what, 2-3 years?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for a month or two (or six really) after some h/w launch is always a good idea.
Prices will fall, more models will be released, bugs will be ironed out, etc, etc
I never understood why people line up to purchase some PC part at launch fully knowing that this part will be on the market for at least a year - or two in case of GPUs.

GPUs never decrease in price. In fact, they've only been increasing in price. You wait, you lose.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very glad newegg fucked up my store card so i couldn't buy 1 day before announcement. Really hoping the CPUs come out w/ cyberpunk 2077 attached.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
A 3070 isn't that much more powerful than a XSX. Which has an underclocked 52CU GPU. There's no way a 250W+ 80CU desktop GPU with like 20% higher clocks is only going to be around 20% faster than XSX. That would be an unprecedented failure for AMD.

A 3070 is still about 35+% more powerful than a a series X, and that's not taking DLSS into account, at which point we're talking significantly more powerful.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
very glad newegg fucked up my store card so i couldn't buy 1 day before announcement. Really hoping the CPUs come out w/ cyberpunk 2077 attached.
Super unlikely, given that Cyberpunk is just absolutely loaded with Nvidia tech (in case you mean attached == bundled).

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly surprised RDNA2 cards are taking so long. Sony and MS have been manufacturing consoles with RDNA2 for a while now, but i guess discrete cards take longer?
One of AMD's biggest hurdles is supply. They are rolling out three console chips, a CPU spread across multiple platforms and up to (supposedly) four GPUs with a few of those going into mobile as well. All of those are coming from the same foundry on (probably) the same node and they only have so many wafers. It's not very surprising that their desktop GPUs are taking a back seat over the rest of those.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
hopefully I can build a new PC by Nov ever or December. CPU and GPU might be tough to come by :(

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
3080 going to eat their lunch but I'm guessing the cards will be for the budget-conscious again so no point in competing.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe its me but announcing a week before new consoles seems like a good way to be forgotten

Anthraksi

Jul 31, 2020
A day (month) late and a dollar short. I don't know if it's just because they aint ready to show it earlier, or because they do not have something that can go against the RTX 3080. Either way, they are letting the 3080 and 3090 be on the market for a month before they even give any details about their offerings in the GPU market. Not a very good tactic, but if it's what they have to do, then nothing can be done about it.

If it was one or two weeks wait after the RTX 3080 launch, I might just have waited to see what they have in store. But right now, I am just gonna go with the 3080 and hope for the best. Although I do have some bias to this, since I am married to nVidia currently with my G-Sync monitor and planning to get an LG OLED later this year which works straight out of the box with G-Sync Compatible (although it works with AMD cards as well with a slight tweak required)

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Nice to get a presentation date. Looking forward to get more details. Planning to go for a R5 4600 + RX 6600 combo to fare through this gen in 1080p144fps.

I guess the "late" RDNA2 reveal is related to consoles NDA in some way, doesn't matter much anyway, it's coming out soonish.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I hope the 4700X removes any possible reason to think about buying an Intel CPU for gaming

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
GPUs never decrease in price. In fact, they've only been increasing in price. You wait, you lose.
That's like... completely, 100% wrong.

Most next gen games will probably be using some form of raytracing so I think raytracing performance is pretty important.
Nobody will be focusing on performance of "traditional rasterization" in 2021.
It's like suggesting to focus on performance of anisotropic filtering or something. A weird idea.
Also I kinda doubt that it will be easy for AMD to universally beat Ampere even in "traditional rasterization".

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Waiting for a month or two (or six really) after some h/w launch is always a good idea.
Prices will fall, more models will be released, bugs will be ironed out, etc, etc
I never understood why people line up to purchase some PC part at launch fully knowing that this part will be on the market for at least a year - or two in case of GPUs.
Do prices really drop on GPUs? I think starting with 10 series it's all been either at MSRP or in case of 10 series just plain blowing up higher due to mining. Plus I suspect that 3070/3080 just won't be available widely till probably next year at best.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Echoing a lot of feelings already posted, but man... AMD should have that RDNA 2 stuff at end of September latest. Giving Nvidia full month to move HW without any contesting doesn't sound like solid gameplan, but maybe AMD has just borderline given up on competing in dGPU space?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
With a later October reveal, I doubt RDNA 2 GPUs will be available before the launch of Cyberpunk 2077. And even if they somehow technically put the launch date ahead of Cyberpunk's release date, it's going to be a paper launch with barely any availability most likely.

October and November will belong to Nvidia and Ampere.

And I feel that Zen 3 is about to become the leading CPU architecture in productivity/multitasking AND gaming.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Do prices really drop on GPUs? I think starting with 10 series it's all been either at MSRP or in case of 10 series just plain blowing up higher due to mining.
10 series were overpriced by some 10-20% for a couple of months after launch due to supply not satisfying the demand. Not sure how people are forgetting this.
And in about 9 months after 10 series launch there was a 1080Ti launch at which point the 1070 and 1080 got a $50 and $100 price cuts.
Then there was a mining thing but it's hardly something which happens all the time.
20 series got what was basically a price cut with 20 Supers a year after launch.

Plus I suspect that 3070/3080 just won't be available widely till probably next year at best.
Which is again a good reason to wait it out till the supply will get to a point where the cards will be sold at MSRP at least instead of with some +20% markup.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So when can we realistically expect Zen 3 to be in stock? Within the end of October?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
10 series were overpriced by some 10-20% for a couple of months after launch due to supply not satisfying the demand. Not sure how people are forgetting this.
And in about 9 months after 10 series launch there was a 1080Ti launch at which point the 1070 and 1080 got a $50 and $100 price cuts.
Then there was a mining thing but it's hardly something which happens all the time.
20 series got what was basically a price cut with 20 Supers a year after launch.
1080Ti was certainly a good card and there was a discount, but that's pretty long time to wait if you are getting to the point of needing an upgrade.

For 2000 series, that's a year and they discontinued base 2000 cards quickly so you really didn't see major price drops. Note that I didn't follow too closely since upgrading from 1080Ti was pointless.

Which is again a good reason to wait it out till the supply will get to a point where the cards will be sold at MSRP at least instead of with some +20% markup.

Well, yes, if there is markup going on, unless you need to upgrade, might as well wait. I was more talking about MSRP pricing. If you can snag 3070/3080 at normal MSRP price, it is probably worth it. If Asus/MSI/EVGA/etc come out with their cards with 3080 starting at say $800, then it's not worth going for that.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just hope my mobo gets a bios update for Zen3... I can't afford a new board as well as everything else that's going to be going on at the end of the year!!

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Can't wait to see how good the 4700x is.

Are there any reasonable guesses how much it will cost on launch? Hopefully not to different from the 251€ from the current 3700x 😅.

Gonna do a huge upgrade soon (from a i7 4790k + GTX 1080).
Getting a new case, a 2080ti (from a friend), "4700x" with a b550m, 2x 16gb DDR4 and a new 1tb nvme WD Black to top it all of.
Right now I'm waiting for Thermaltake to answer my email about purchasing a new bracket which works with my Macho rev b CPU cooler which I really want to continue using.
Will be interesting how well the new pc will run two modern games at the same time.
And my major gripes with the matx pc will be resolved with the additional slot of space between the two gpu's of the new mobo and a bit more space all around.
The 4790k was actually really able to do an exceptionally job running the games we played (E.g. Rocket League, Halo MCC, Gears V and to a lesser extend For Honor) but of course it's almost impossible to do that with something like Warzone due to the CPU.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Not good enough AMD. Ampere it is. If they done what Nvidia did and show the cards off with some specs, graphs and prices then I could be tempted to wait and buy. But to wait until October just to see wtf it is? No.

fiveshift

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2018
I mean AMD could just be waiting until they can get a clear view on the benchmarking of the Nvidia cards and adjust the lineup/pricing accordingly by waiting that long?

I'm still running a 7970 and I'll prolly buy the best value 450-500 dollar card in Q1, my card just needs to hold on a little longer.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
I hope usb 4 is included on the Zen 3 mobo platform.

Still, super hyped for Zen 3, should put AMD on top of Intel for mainstream cpu for quite some time.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I feel like PC tech is progressing so fast lately. You buy one thing and the next year it's almost obsolete. I must be completely wrong though, because I'm talking from my point of view as a consumer and I'm not really versed in these topics.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
a 3070 also costs $500 plus for just the GPU

Ok.... what does that have to do with any of what we're discussing? I mean you get what you pay for. A 3070 is going to be more powerful than the most powerful next gen console, and it'll be available BEFORE the next gen console even comes out. That's what you're paying for. A lot of people will just opt for a 3060 in 2021, which is going to still be more poweful than a series X just not by much, again, unless you take DLSS into account.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
This definitely rules out RDNA2 GPU for me, and while my next build will definitely figure in either a 3070 or 3080, my CPU is almost definitely going to be a new AMD CPU. First time in.... I don't know like 10 years since I went AMD for a CPU?

Goodbye Intel.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Man, I feel like PC tech is progressing so fast lately. You buy one thing and the next year it's almost obsolete. I must be completely wrong though, because I'm talking from my point of view as a consumer and I'm not really versed in these topics.
It feels like a big jump this time. But I'm sticking with 2080 super for now - tho I'm curious about AMDs argument

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
They are winning the CPU fight, clearly.

However the GPU fight with Nvidia, is crazy hard because those ampere GPU are so great this year...I seriously don't see how RDNA2 can fight those figures.

Powering the XSX/PS5 is great but it's not forcibly a sign that you have the better GPUs.

On an unrelated note, always found weird that the CEO of AMD is the niece of the CEO of Nvidia haha.