• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth pointing out a month is really good for AMD. Previously they have been closer to a year behind Nvidia.

Most recent example: RTX 20 series launched almost a year earlier than the RX 5000 series.

I suspect AMD 1) doesn't think Nvidia is going to have enough supply to fulfill demand and 2) if they are competitive, doesn't want Nvidia to drop prices before launch. Make Nvidia respond with Supers or Tis, not price drops before the new cards even release.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's also these 2 tweets, which doesn't add much.... but at least there is a video!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Zen 3 hopefully launching in October then, I'm ready. Do we have times or links or anything yet so I can add it to the calendar?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to do a full rig build, got to see what's up with Zen 3 before even considering what's what. Also, Rocket Lake when?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Of course it is. Nvidia just blew the doors off and are going to be selling like hotcakes. If you don't get in line instantly you're not going to be getting one. If AMD came out with compelling numbers, people would be willing to wait.
The fact that AMD is waiting till 28th Oct mean's they are not ready to tell the public the final specs of the RDNA 2. Nvidia dominates the PC market and AMD are playing it safe by taking their time to have something compelling to show.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Wait... they're not going to announce the new cards until after the 3080 and 3070 are already released? Wow, talk about a missed opportunity.

They've been hinting at an announcement tomorrow.

Edit - or Frank Azor, Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions and Marketing has been.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So people don't immediately go out and buy/backorder from Nvidia? If you know there's a card with a better $/perf coming up, they'd be more willing to wait.
Those who are deciding between NV and AMD will wait regardless.
Those who have decided already won't be swayed in any case really.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that AMD is waiting till 28th Oct mean's they are not ready to tell the public the final specs of the RDNA 2. Nvidia dominates the PC market and AMD are playing it safe by taking their time to have something compelling to show.
I mean, the most accurate leaker posted this:

Yet people are still going crazy as if it was the end of the world. Some people are just prone to overreacting.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Those who are deciding between NV and AMD will wait regardless.
Those who have decided already won't be swayed in any case really.
Eh there's also a bit of the middle ground. You want to wait and see what AMD offers but what if you don't like what they put out during their Oct event? The 3000 series will be sold out by then and you're just kind of stuck with nothing. Would have been nice to have gotten some more info before NVIDIA's stuff goes on sale next week.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of makes sense for AMD to wait until late October to reveal their GPUs since Nvidia has yet to detail anything lower than the 3070. Their cards aren't ready to launch, and they don't have all of Nvidia's plans to react to yet. I do feel this may be them waving the white flag on the high end again though. If they had something competitive they'd surely have to say something before the 17th?

May 25, 2019
London
I know people are desperate for new builds for Cyberpunk but I am more than willing to sit back and read/watch all the benchmarks of all the new stuff coming this fall. Feel like a more likely build time for me is next spring or summer

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting to do a full rig build, got to see what's up with Zen 3 before even considering what's what. Also, Rocket Lake when?

Rocket Lake is Q1 2021 and will still be on 14nm, but at least it'll finally have PCIe 4.0. It's just a stop-gap for Intel until their for real 10nm stuff (Alder Lake), but that got delayed by 6 months so who knows when that actually comes out.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Very nice. Does AMD usually release hardware shortly after the announcement? A 4000-series CPU is the last thing I'll be waiting on for my build so the sooner they come out the better.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Eh there's also a bit of the middle ground. You want to wait and see what AMD offers but what if you don't like what they put out during their Oct event? The 3000 series will be sold out by then and you're just kind of stuck with nothing. Would have been nice to have gotten some more info before NVIDIA's stuff goes on sale next week.

It's not like they won't make more of them.
Personally I won't be buying new hardware before Cyberpunk gets benched on them.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
2600 is better than the 1700x for gaming, and the 3600 is better than the 2700x for gaming, so I'd probably bet that the 4600 will be better than the 3700x for gaming.

I have heard that 6 cores could end up being bottlenecks when next gen games roll around. If that is the case, and the 4600 is an 6 core, could that become an actual issue?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It would be good to have something compete with the 3080 but frankly **80 tier GPUs aren't really relevant outside extreme niche circles.

The problem is that not having anything at the high end inevitably drags the low end down. Check out the steam survey thread from the other day. Despite AMD's lower end being comparable to Nvidia's very few people appear to actually be buying them. AMD only has 2 cards in the top 20 despite it being loaded with lower end Nvidia cards. AMD desperately needs a win on the GPU side to gain some relevance.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Wait... they're not going to announce the new cards until after the 3080 and 3070 are already released? Wow, talk about a missed opportunity.

In the off chance RDNA2 obliterates Amphere from a price-performance standpoint it makes it a bit harder for Nvidia to do any pricing adjustments since people will have already bought cards.

I'm guessing they'll drop the 16GB 3070Ti to try and counter.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit late but, this is still preferable to their GCN marketing efforts. Leaky, over hyped and under delivered.

Looking forward to actual reviews for both Ampere and RDNA2 and all the new tech.

Zen3 8 CCX is super exciting.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for a month or two (or six really) after some h/w launch is always a good idea.
Prices will fall, more models will be released, bugs will be ironed out, etc, etc
I never understood why people line up to purchase some PC part at launch fully knowing that this part will be on the market for at least a year - or two in case of GPUs.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A monnttth I want to build now damn it

Anyway, excited. I really don't know if I'm gonna really end up going Ryzen 4000, but the launch may make the 3000 series prices drop further so it's just better to wait.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Patiently waiting for Zen 3 so I can actually do a new build, going to pair it with a 3080.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How AMD competes with Nvidia over the next 5 years is going to be very telling. It's damn near more interesting than PlayStation vs. Xbox.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
That's way too late. The 3000 series is available on September 17th (at least the 3080 and 3090).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have an AMD CPU and GPU. Waiting for Ryzen, dont care bout their GPU tbh. I am going Nvidia. Show me that Ryzen!

Deleted member 68121

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2020
I'm in for Zen 3 for sure. Going to upgrade my Intel 4670k and have been waiting for Zen 3 to drop first. Good timing.\

Also upgrading my GTX 1070. Looking like I'll get a 3080. If AMD is competitive, I'm not opposed to going for it. But I'm not waiting. 3080 on release, I hope.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how soon after the announcement will Zen 3 be available

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised RDNA2 cards are taking so long. Sony and MS have been manufacturing consoles with RDNA2 for a while now, but i guess discrete cards take longer?

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Damn that date is faraway for RDNA2. Looking for a GPU in $150-$200 range. Any chances they'll have something comparable to a 2060 super with RDNA2?