• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SouthpawXM

Oct 29, 2017
3080, 5900x and B550 Tomahawk here. Been in PCIe 4.0 on most current bios without issue so far.

Any word if there is a database or tracking spreadsheet of people's PC setups having the issue?

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
YES! I posted earlier in this thread in fact. I too have a Tomahawk Max B450, with a 3600 CPU and a 3080FE GPU and I've been experiencing all bar one of my USB devices cutting out before immediately coming back on again. At least one time none of the USB ports that were affected came back on and I had to hard reset the PC. It's frustrating as hell when it kicks in and, selfishly, so glad someone else with a similar setup to me has experienced it also. Problem with mine, it still happens.

At one time it would happen everytime when I pressed 'Shift+Tab' to open the Steam overlay, then other times it would randomly happen when capturing footage from my capture card or when playing a game.

therearedozensofus.gif

Didn't notice your original post man. Did you try changing ports?

I can check which one I'm using and come back with an update if not.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
YES! I posted earlier in this thread in fact. I too have a Tomahawk Max B450, with a 3600 CPU and a 3080FE GPU and I've been experiencing all bar one of my USB devices cutting out before immediately coming back on again. At least one time none of the USB ports that were affected came back on and I had to hard reset the PC. It's frustrating as hell when it kicks in and, selfishly, so glad someone else with a similar setup to me has experienced it also. Problem with mine, it still happens.

At one time it would happen everytime when I pressed 'Shift+Tab' to open the Steam overlay, then other times it would randomly happen when capturing footage from my capture card or when playing a game.

I finally settled on this port and I have not had a problem since.
(I believe it's labeled "VR" on the backplate)

tommax_portsafksq.png

Not sure where the specific port is "connected" to (CPU or chipset), but it worked in my case.

Edit: I'm using bios 7C02v3A2 (Beta)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If this isn't completely fixed via software (BIOS update, driver update, whatever) then this is my first and last time getting an AMD CPU

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Got contacted by AMD via Reddit in order to fill a form asking for more info. Cool stuff. I hope it helps them

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I have had my desktop for about 2 weeks and havent had this issue yet. I have an asus rog strix x570-e. I mostly play Apex Legends but I am wondering if playing longer hours of Cyberpunk will make it happen. Although my gpu usage is always at like 100% when playing.

Argos7

Nov 20, 2020
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII Hero X570, 3900X and a 3070 FE and have never had this issue.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
But is it actually running on 4.0? You should switch to 3.0 if your bios has the option.

(Edited) I originally stated B450 doesn't support Gen 4, but Prelude is right in that originally (2019) B450 boards, in some cases, did support PCIe Gen4, but AMD recommended it to be turned off globally for stability issues. It's possible it still works on some boards although I would think it has been disabled on modern (Zen 3) BIOS revisions.

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
B450 is not capable of PCIe Gen 4
It is. There's nothing preventing it other than intentionally not supporting it. BIOSes briefly supported that before AMD mandated to turn it off on B450 but depending on your BIOS version you might still have the option. When I got my 3700X my launch BIOS supported it and I switched it to 3.0 since I had a 5700XT which is 4.0.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Hmm. I wonder if my Wifi dongle having issues recently is related to this. It does seem to happen more frequently when I'm doing video upscaling. Funny thing is, it only seems to have started doing it recently.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This might be completely unrelated but whenever I plug my iPhone into the USB-C on my X570 it locks up Windows entirely and I have to hard reset it. I don't have any other device I can plug in with a USB-C cable to troubleshoot right now.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely an issue. I have an x570 (ASRock Taichi) motherboard, 3080, and can't use any USB ports for my HP Reverb headset. The rear ports don't detect the headset at all, and the front USB ports drop the connection constantly. Had to follow reddit's advice and buy a separate powered USB hub, and now it works flawlessly.

To be fair, no other USB device has had issues at all, just the VR headset.

That said, the only thing more inane than this being such a big problem for VR users is it taking AMD this long to acknowledge it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely an issue. I have an x570 (ASRock Taichi) motherboard, 3080, and can't use any USB ports for my HP Reverb headset. The rear ports don't detect the headset at all, and the front USB ports drop the connection constantly. Had to follow reddit's advice and buy a separate powered USB hub, and now it works flawlessly.

To be fair, no other USB device has had issues at all, just the VR headset.

That said, the only thing more inane than this being such a big problem for VR users is it taking AMD this long to acknowledge it.
Wait, it's fixed with a simple powered hub plugged in to the X570 ports rather than an add-in board with a different USB chipset?

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a 5900x, Aorus X570 Pro, and a 3080. So far I've not noticed any strangeness, other than my controller not being recognised sometimes when my pc has been asleep for a while. It's always been fixed by a restart. Guess this explains why.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Looks like i got lucky. X570 + 3080 +3700x and never got any problem with usb, fingers crossed.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's fixed with a simple powered hub plugged in to the X570 ports rather than an add-in board with a different USB chipset?
In my case, this issue is actually made worse by plugging the devices into a powered usb hub funnily enough. It drags everything down in the hub down when it happens.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
5900x/3090/570 combo with a lot of usb stuff connected. Touch wood, no issues so far

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so this is what happening to my 3080/0950x/X570 rog strix setup:

I'm now getting hard shutdowns, the ones you need to unplug the computer in order to make it turn it on again. It's been happening more and more lately, and it just happened when I connected the usb c from my oculus quest 2 to the usb c on the back of the computer. Then I tried again with the one on the front, no issues.
Yesterday it happened when I changed the Rgb colors inside the armoury crate app, just as I clicked apply
Could this possibly be related to these usb problems in OP?
Man, PCs fucking suck.

This might be completely unrelated but whenever I plug my iPhone into the USB-C on my X570 it locks up Windows entirely and I have to hard reset it. I don't have any other device I can plug in with a USB-C cable to troubleshoot right now.
Yes, that's what happened to me apparently as well!

Last edited:

flip

Oct 25, 2017
To add some data, using a 3080 FE + Dark Hero + 5900x and haven't run into any issues so far.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
No real issues here with an Asus 3080, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 5800x, PCIe 4.0 NVME drive. The only thing is that my PS5 dualsense doesn't work in the front (motherboard header) USB 3.0 ports. External drives work fine there and the dualsense works in any other port so who knows. Phones, Vive, flash drives all seem to be working fine.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have this issue and it was a PITA to troubleshoot before it became known in various reddit threads way before the AMD statement. Changing to Gen3 for PCIE solved it but it's a poor compromise.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No major USB issues, but I am getting some of the audio crackling issues that were reported - main one is that using NVIDIA broadcast with my webcam causes really bad audio crackling and system lag. Only happened when I replaced my 2080Ti with my 3090.

Haven't switched the slot to Gen 3 yet though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No issues yet
  • 3700x
  • Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
  • 3060 Ti
The only things I have plugged into my usb ports are my 360 controller, cintiq, and logitech m&k reciever

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
5900x + X570 + RTX3080 and definitely having issues.

Could not share screen over Slack/Meets without audio cutting out until I changed PCIe back to Gen3. MX Master 3 gets random couple of seconds disconnects every so often, etc. Major bummer as this is my first AMD build...

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
I ordered a PC with that motherboard few days ago and now I'm nervous about if I will get these errors.
Searched a little and it seems it can be solved if:

Set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS
Disable Global C-State in the BIOS.

I hope to help somebody.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5950X / X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / RTX 3090 here and I have had USB dropouts, specifically when playing Black Ops Cold War and getting GeForce Highlights notifications, or randomly when playing PUBG.

Will try changing to PCIe 3.0 tonight.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhhh, lttp here but that would explain why my Xbox One controller randomly disconnects constantly.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I have this issue and it was a PITA to troubleshoot before it became known in various reddit threads way before the AMD statement. Changing to Gen3 for PCIE solved it but it's a poor compromise.
Yep same. I was one of the lucky few who got a 3080 on launch, and since they're like gold dust even now there was no information back then about the problems. I tried everything. Swapped multiple PC parts (PSU/RAM), starting fresh on a new windows install, tried all the USB jacks as well as using usb hubs etc, messed with power options/drivers etc, messed with loads of bios options including voltages under the assumption the IF was unstable and so much more that I can't even remember at this point. I was even close to sending the 3080 back via RMA for a replacement, literally had it boxed up with the courier scheduled to come pick it up, until I happened across some threads from last years Navi cards which mentioned very similar issues with the solution being to drop to Gen 3.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wow, I just got a Ryzen 3600 and a b550 mobo
I was actually about to order a 3600 and B550 mobo when this crept up as an acknowledged issue.

My hope is that:
Using Linux will mitigate it at least somewhat (super doubtful as it likely hardware-level, buuuuuut)
I only really use 2 USB devices that are lower power consumption (Logitech Unifying Receiver dongle and BT dongle)
It's ITX, so the power draw isn't the same as on a full or even MicroATX. I'd have the one, single 5600XT in the PCIe slot and no other expansions, 1 nvme and one 1TB SSD. The power draw on my system is relatively low as a result.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
X570 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5900X
RTX 3080

I haven't had the USB issue, luckily. Will look out for it.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a 3080, 3900XT and a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING but I haven't really noticed any USB problems.

My wireless adaptor for the Xbox Controller suddenly decided that the installed drivers were not good enough and it stopped working, and no amout of tinkering with different drivers resolved the issue but that's it.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a b550 and 5600x last week. Haven't built yet but the good thing I guess it will be impossible to find a 30 series gpu until 2022! Yay!

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a hardware problem with the chipsets. Makes me think of the PCIe related WHEA errors experienced early on by us Zen 2 owners on early AGESA versions. Did they fix whatever was causing that or just suppress reporting of the error?

Hmm. I wonder if my Wifi dongle having issues recently is related to this. It does seem to happen more frequently when I'm doing video upscaling. Funny thing is, it only seems to have started doing it recently.

In the end my problem wasn't related to this. It had something to do with casting my desktop to my TV. Once I deleted my TV's entries from device manager the problem went away.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
No joke I had this on an older AMD chipset (X370) but by adding an RX5700. It was such an invasive problem I had to return the card and go with a RTX 2070 Super and have had no issues.

I'm telling you this isn't a problem just with X570 chipsets, this is an inherent issue with their chip architecture for years, and is being exposed somehow by PCIe 4.0.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
So I just ordered and received a 5600X. Is there any motherboard I can use to avoid this issue? Or do I just need to return this and wait? People seem to be going AMD whole-hog on the Internet so I'm surprised this issue hasn't put a damper on that.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just ordered and received a 5600X. Is there any motherboard I can use to avoid this issue? Or do I just need to return this and wait? People seem to be going AMD whole-hog on the Internet so I'm surprised this issue hasn't put a damper on that.
I just wouldn't worry about it. It seems this is something like a signal integrity / tolerances issue which affects only a small number of people, so first off there's a good chance you won't be affected at all with any motherboard. Like you say, everyone has been going AMD for their gaming PCs for maybe a year or two now, and yet there isn't a great deal of noise about this. Maybe it is only certain motherboards (doesn't seem like it, to me), but I don't think there is any solid data yet. If you are affected, just turn off PCIe 4.0 to your GPU? It provides very little benefit of note anyway, and it's not like you can get a PCIe 4.0 system from Intel anyway... Or if you really want PCIe 4.0 on your GPU, and your system is affected by this bug - try the workaround of using a powered USB hub, a ~$30 fix (and possibly a useful thing to have anyway). If that doesn't work, fit a PCIe USB add-in card, again a ~$30 fix - which should certainly solve the issue no matter what. I guess if you weren't planning to otherwise, get a full size board with some spare PCIe slots just in case.