• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, had this exact issue. My KB/M just stop working (they're connected via a KVM as I also have my work laptop hooked up to the same monitor) and the only way to get round it was to drop the PCIe to gen3. It's fine now, but would like to get whatever minimal benefits there are from PCIe4 with my 3080

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having this same issue, doesn't happen often enough to be a nuisance, maybe like one or two times a night after heavy gaming.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Er, this is kind of a deal-breaker for me and now I'm glad I've not been able to buy a Ryzen chip and do my new build.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
huh, I wonder if this has anything to do with the completely random double clicks I get out of my mouse.

Haven't seen any other weird behaviour though, 5900x/3080

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
This explains the times I get a barrage of connect/disconnect noises out of nowhere when doing something like watching a film on the PC.

I only use the couple of 2.0 slots I have for controllers and my FLAC player, so it's just been a case of remembering to take them out when not using them, but it's a pain in the backside when I'm Steam-linking through to the TV in the other room and I've forgotten to do so.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
huh, I wonder if this has anything to do with the completely random double clicks I get out of my mouse.

Haven't seen any other weird behaviour though, 5900x/3080
That's likely your mouse switch going. With this issue you lose the mouse momentarily or until you plug it back in again.

Edit: Just updated to Gigabytes f13c bios which "improves usb 2.0 stability" and immediately had my mouse disconnect on restart.

Last edited:

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is the "USB device not recognized" error appearing randomly related to this? It keeps popping up even though all my USB devices are working (I have 3 connected, m/kb and headset)

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Well great, been sitting here with this X 570 E Rog Strix board ready to go for a 5900X if it ever comes in. Would be my first ever AMD build too.
I have this mobo with a 5900x and a 3080 and I haven't noticed any problem so far. All USB ports are at least 3.2, so that might be the reason why.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I have a prebuilt coming in over the next month or so, so i did some googling about my board (ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING). Not only may this be an issue but apparently the LAN controller might be faulty as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/i9t4oe/did_they_fix_the_issues_with_intel_i225v/
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Now i'm nervous.
For whatever my anecdote is worth, I have that exact board and I haven't had any LAN issues.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
This has also been an issue with sound cards using the PCI-e bus since the 3000 series came out. The general fix was to change pci-e slots to gen3, otherwise the power draw would force them to 'reset' during gaming which screws up the speaker configuration. It's been a big issue on the sound blaster subreddit for months. Crazy to see them finally admit the issue even if it's only for USB for now.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Interesting that these issues are only X570/B550-specific and when PCIe Gen 4 is enabled - I recently faced similar behavior with a new B450 build but maybe for different reasons.

Even though probably not directly (PCIe Gen) related, I'm throwing this out there in case someone with similar USB issues (but a B450) is lurking here.

I recently upgraded to a B450 build (Tomahawk Max) from an Intel one, with a 3700X and an RTX 3080, and even though now it's generally stable, the first couple of days I was facing weird USB issues such as the ones described here, especially with a powered USB hub I use.

When the system was under heavy -especially CPU- load, USB devices would randomly crap out and it didn't seem to be power/hub related.

It was finally resolved by simply changing the USB port used, and it seems it had to do with which part (CPU vs chipset/southbridge) the specific USB port was interfacing-with.
(as seen below, 2 of the 4 USB 3.2 ports are "directly connected" to the CPU while the others on the chipset)

Not all USB ports are created equal people!

tommax2fj9h.png

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
OMFG...

This made me so ANGRY last November. Tried to fix my PC for 2 WEEKS and couldn't figure out. Accidently erased my storage because i'm dumb, seeing my USB disconnecting over and over even while streaming, mic gets disconnected, webcam gets disconnected, ALL of my RGB lights flickering, and my external hard drive with games was SUFFERING from insane FPS drops.

I've thought this was a virus or something.. or faulty PSU, faulty MB, etc. Legit was planning to take it to a tech shop until I've finally read a thread over in Reddit. and BAM.... now my PC no longer has these issues after downgrading to PCIE 3.0. THANK GOD! I can finally stream games and play games back to normal now.

I know it's my fault... but still... f*ck AMD for these issues. This caused all my personal family photos to all disappear and tons of issues. I have a RTX 3080, Ryzen 9 3950X, and ASUS ROG B550 MB.

Hopefully this gets fixed in the future.

EDIT: I also wanna say that downgrading to PCIE barely has no effect to gaming performance at all... hardly notice any lower FPS in most of my games. Especially playing at 1080p, 240hz, and 4K, 120hz. The only bad thing I get is for some strange reason, Streamlabs is now using nearly 20-30% of my GPU which is NOT normal. I remember using 10-14% back in PCIE 4.0. Now I have to use OBS which Is better at this point.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
We now do I upgrade to a 5800x or keep my B450 board and go for a 3700x?
You can keep your B450 board AND upgrade to a 5800X. B450 is compatible. No reason to go for an inferior CPU.

Besides you can work around the problem on B550 / X570 by disabling PCIe 4.0. Which isn't acceptable at all and AMD NEEDS to fix it, but yeah, you can do that and it's basically like having a 400 series chipset
Hopefully you don't experience issues.

But I do wonder (and really not just you, there is plenty of this sentiment in this thread)... what would you have done differently?
Well, one could wait for Intel 11th gen, which comes out next month. If I was still within the return window I would honestly consider it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
EDIT: Accidental double post, meant to edit the other one

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O m g

Is this why no matter what my Oculus cv1 shows I'm connecting to USB 2.0 instead of 3.0? Since getting a 3080, the tracking is trash and no USB settings in the bios help. It's not even playable.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Gigabyte sent out a bios update a few days ago for the X570 Aorus Pro Wifi board (the one I use).

1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0
  2. Improve USB 2.0 compatibility

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Gamers Nexus talks a bit about it in this video. Just a bit tho

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Totally willing to believe this is a real thing, but I must admit I haven't run into it myself (and I see Gamers Nexus hasn't, either).

I see ASUS is definitely still updating their boards almost monthly right now, so I guess between this and AGESA that should continue for awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
So if I got a B550 Aorus Elite V2, Gigabyte RTX 3080, Ryzen 7 5800x I'm expected to have problems with ports? AMD doesn't know if it's a software (BIOS) or hardware issue yet? I'm confused about it and just want some clarification before I get the rest of the parts for my build.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have a Zen 3 chip, B550 board and a PCI-E 4.0 card, and I don't think I've had this issue, luckily. I built it back in July and around a month later Windows gave a weird complaint about all of the USB assets or whatever were used when plugging something new in - I just moved the cable to a new slot and hey presto. Also one weird thing is if I plug my small lamp into the front USB slot to charge, my second monitor will go blank for a while. Not sure what that's about. I keep the cable plugged in now and when I connect the lamp nothing happens.

Sucks for everyone experiencing the issue. I hope AMD is able to sort it out quickly.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is concerning, I haven't personally experienced it yet though:

5950x
MSI Tomahawk X570 WiFi + latest bios update
RTX 3080 in Gen4 mode
Gen4 SSD (WD Black SN850)

Hopefully it's addressable via bios updates…

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't run into this issue, but I'm also not using much in the way of usb 2.0 devices. Can't say I've had any issue whatsoever.

5950x
X570 (Asus VIii Formula)
Evga 3080
980 Pro drives

Oct 25, 2017
The Infinity Fabric is tied so closely to such a high bandwidth extreme sensitivity spec in PCIE 4.0 (95% of the '4.0' riser cables out today don't work properly with AMD/NVIDIA 4.0 gpus, ask me how I know) that going over a certain speed (1800) causes massive system wide silicon lottery style discrepancies between bespoke pcs. I would image that the typical Tuned AMD Gamer PC ™ actually exceeds the edge of system stability, just not catastrophically so. Save for this current issue...

Adding to that, the use of non USB-IF certified devices/cables could be an issue. Sure, m&k manufacutres probably build to spec on their own, but adding additional cabling (which itself could be out of spec) or additional devices (hubs, kvms, active extenders/cable) could also cause issues on top of that.

Intel handles their accessory/wireless port stuff differently (which has its own set of challenges), but I would image it comes with the benefit of overall higher stability.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The Infinity Fabric is tied so closely to such a high bandwidth extreme sensitivity spec in PCIE 4.0 (95% of the '4.0' riser cables out today don't work properly with AMD/NVIDIA 4.0 gpus) that going over a certain speed (1800) causes massive system wide silicon lottery style discrepancies between bespoke pcs. I would image that the typical Tuned AMD Gamer PC ™ actually exceeds the edge of system stability, just not catastrophically so. Save for this current issue...

Adding to that, the use of non USB-IF certified devices/cables could be an issue. Sure, m&k manufacutres probably build to spec on their own, but adding additional cabling (which itself could be out of spec) or additional devices (hubs, kvms, active extenders/cable) could also cause issues on top of that.

Intel handles their accessory/wireless port stuff differently (which has its own set of challenges), but I would image it comes with the benefit of overall higher stability.
The issue occurs even if I have my RAM set to base JEDEC values so it's definitely not a OC issue. I've even tried messing with voltages as well to try and get USB stable on gen 4 to no avail as well.

This is why trying to get AMD to notice this issue has been such a pain. Since usb instability can be caused by other things they assume you must be doing something wrong but it happens even at default bios settings.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Infinity Fabric is tied so closely to such a high bandwidth extreme sensitivity spec in PCIE 4.0 (95% of the '4.0' riser cables out today don't work properly with AMD/NVIDIA 4.0 gpus, ask me how I know) that going over a certain speed (1800) causes massive system wide silicon lottery style discrepancies between bespoke pcs. I would image that the typical Tuned AMD Gamer PC ™ actually exceeds the edge of system stability, just not catastrophically so. Save for this current issue...

No. Infinity Fabric overclocking isn't the issue. My Infinity Frabric is running at the default speed (1600) since my RAM is 3200 MHz, and I'm getting USB 2.0 dropouts if my GPU is running in Gen 4 mode.

My mouse is a Logitech G703. My headset is the HyperX Cloud Flight. I'm not using extensions or hubs. The issue happens on both the front and the mobo ports, as long as they're 2.0.

Oct 26, 2017
California
If I have an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) board and Ryzen 7 3700x, am I affected? My USB peripheral performance is spotty, at best, if I'm being generous

Oct 25, 2017
The issue occurs even if I have my RAM set to base JEDEC values so it's definitely not a OC issue. I've even tried messing with voltages as well to try and get USB stable on gen 4 to no avail as well.

This is why trying to get AMD to notice this issue has been such a pain. Since usb instability can be caused by other things they assume you must be doing something wrong but it happens even at default bios settings.
No. Infinity Fabric overclocking isn't the issue. My Infinity Frabric is running at the default speed (1600) since my RAM is 3200 MHz, and I'm getting USB 2.0 dropouts if my GPU is running in Gen 4 mode.

My mouse is a Logitech G703. My headset is the HyperX Cloud Flight. I'm not using extensions or hubs. The issue happens on both the front and the mobo ports, as long as they're 2.0.
Hmmm, sorry, my mistake then. I just thought that could be the issue because I've been experiencing similair symptoms as people's usb dropouts but only related to my displayport monitors instead.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

5950x
RTX 3080 in Gen4 mode

Same CPU and Mobo combo here, as I mentioned and I haven't either in three plus months since I built this new PC of mine, been a bit over two months since I added a 3090.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

5950x
RTX 3080 in Gen4 mode

Same CPU and Mobo combo here, as I mentioned and I haven't either in three plus months since I built this new PC of mine, been a bit over two months since I added a 3090.
Could you guys do the following? Connect your mouse, keyboard, headset etc to your USB 2.0 ports and play some Apex Legends with the framerate unlocked. Play a few rounds and see if you get any dropouts. I have the same motherboard but with a 5800X and a 3070 and that triggers the issue 100% of the time.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Gigabyte sent out a bios update a few days ago for the X570 Aorus Pro Wifi board (the one I use).

1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0
  2. Improve USB 2.0 compatibility
That bios update has been out for quite a long time now for my board and it didn't help. Not too shocking since in my case it causes problems with USB 3 and USB 2, USB 2 is just worse for it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Could you guys do the following? Connect your mouse, keyboard, headset etc to your USB 2.0 ports and play some Apex Legends with the framerate unlocked. Play a few rounds and see if you get any dropouts. I have the same motherboard but with a 5800X and a 3070 and that triggers the issue 100% of the time.
I'd have to download it but with other games, benchmarks, etc I've ran with my GPU maxed out it hasn't been an issue so far, have you installed the most recent chipset drivers and newest BIOS?

I remember that the only USB issue I've had comes off waking my PC from sleep the few times I've used it where for whatever reason the stay on (like the lights on my mouse and keyboard) but won't trigger wake up when they should.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to download it but with other games, benchmarks, etc I've ran with my GPU maxed out it hasn't been an issue so far, have you installed the most recent chipset drivers and newest BIOS?

I remember that the only USB issue I've had comes off waking my PC from sleep the few times I've used it where for whatever reason the stay on (like the lights on my mouse and keyboard) but won't trigger wake up when they should.
It's not pure load that causes it weirdly enough. I can run Prime95 stressing the CPU and RAM while running some kind of gaming stress test on top, and the USB will be fine and dandy. Where as I can do something as random as launching the epic games launcher and it'll kill it all.

I also noticed issues with Apex Legends too for what it's worth, but it wasn't super consistent for me. The only way I made it more consistent was having a twitch stream up on my other screen or something at the same time as playing Apex Legends.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this might be the cause of my external HDD refusing to be detected by Windows unless I pick the right set of ports, don't remember if it was my gen 2 or gen 3 it worked with though. Good chance it is just the cheap ass enclosure I bought off Amazon. Haven't noticed any problems with my other USB devices, those connected in the front or back, but I will keep an eye out now that I have a 3090.

Ubersnug

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Interesting that these issues are only X570/B550-specific and when PCIe Gen 4 is enabled - I recently faced similar behavior with a new B450 build but maybe for different reasons.

Even though probably not directly (PCIe Gen) related, I'm throwing this out there in case someone with similar USB issues (but a B450) is lurking here.

I recently upgraded to a B450 build (Tomahawk Max) from an Intel one, with a 3700X and an RTX 3080, and even though now it's generally stable, the first couple of days I was facing weird USB issues such as the ones described here, especially with a powered USB hub I use.

When the system was under heavy -especially CPU- load, USB devices would randomly crap out and it didn't seem to be power/hub related.

It was finally resolved by simply changing the USB port used, and it seems it had to do with which part (CPU vs chipset/southbridge) the specific USB port was interfacing-with.
(as seen below, 2 of the 4 USB 3.2 ports are "directly connected" to the CPU while the others on the chipset)

Not all USB ports are created equal people!

tommax2fj9h.png

YES! I posted earlier in this thread in fact. I too have a Tomahawk Max B450, with a 3600 CPU and a 3080FE GPU and I've been experiencing all bar one of my USB devices cutting out before immediately coming back on again. At least one time none of the USB ports that were affected came back on and I had to hard reset the PC. It's frustrating as hell when it kicks in and, selfishly, so glad someone else with a similar setup to me has experienced it also. Problem with mine, it still happens.

At one time it would happen everytime when I pressed 'Shift+Tab' to open the Steam overlay, then other times it would randomly happen when capturing footage from my capture card or when playing a game.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Yes I have the latest chipset driver and latest BIOS.

It's not just having "some" load, there are specific workloads that cause it super consistently while others don't. Apex Legends is extremely consistent for me. Cyberpunk with the SMT fix also causes it consistently for me, especially while driving through the city at high speeds. But Apex Legends is the most consistent so far.