• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
USB (to be more specific seems to happen mostly with USB 2.0, but there are also people having issues with USB 3 etc) has connectiviy/dropout issues on both Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 5000 CPUs if you have a PCIe Gen 4 GPU with Gen 4 enabled. I'm affected myself: If I connect my peripherals to any USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard, they drop out/disconnected randomly when the CPU load is high. The issue is resolved by switching the GPU to Gen 3 mode, but that's obviously a workaround and NOT a solution.

Also, it seems like all or at least most people with the HP Reverb G2 VR headset are unable to use it on the x570 / b550 platform. It just doesn't work. Like, at all. Period. People are purchasing add-in USB PCIe cards in order to be able to use it.

Well, after ignoring the issue for months, they finally released a statement:

www.reddit.com

r/Amd - An Update on USB connectivity with 500 Series Chipset Motherboards

3,356 votes and 2,064 comments so far on Reddit
AMD is aware of reports that a small number of users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity issues reported on 500 Series chipsets. We have been analyzing the root cause and at this time, we would like to request the community's assistance with a small selection of additional hardware configurations. Over the next few days, some r/Amd users may be contacted directly by an AMD representative (u/AMDOfficial) via Reddit's PM system with a request for more information.

This request may include detailed hardware configurations, steps to reproduce the issue, specific logs, and other system information pertinent to verifying our development efforts. We will provide an update when we have more details to share. Customers facing issues are always encouraged to raise an Online Service Request with AMD customer support; this enables us to find correlations and compare notes across support claims.

Let's just hope this is BIOS / AGESA / microcode update material, and not recall material.

Disconnect my USB peripherals if old.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
AMD chipsets is one reason I've always prefered Intel CPUs tbh. They always had a fair amount of issues not present on competing platforms. They need to step up their game here as well now that they have industry leading CPUs.

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have this, my front USB2 ports are completely useless, connecting and disconnecting nonstop

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm a little (very) disappointed with how long it's taken them to address this, it's been known about for at least 6 months at this point and I know several people personally affected who have submitted support requests reporting it, though I haven't had to deal with it on my personal rig yet thankfully.

Welp, at least it's being looked at now. Let's hope it's just a firmware fix!

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I've had this issue where I can't plug my keyboard into a rear usb 2.0 slot without it dropping inputs intermittently. Using a 3.0 slot is a semi decent workaround. I'm running a 5600X, a X570 mobo and a RTX 3080

Chili

Oct 25, 2017
Happy they finally admitted it, I was seeing more and more mentions of it as people continue to move onto Gen 4 graphics cards. I was quite disappointed coming over to AMD with my recent build and the various USB issues although I've mostly figured out how to minimise it using certain devices in certain ports. Hopefully they can solve it.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Interesting. I've had this issue where I can't plug my keyboard into a rear usb 2.0 slot without it dropping inputs intermittently. Using a 3.0 slot is a semi decent workaround. I'm running a 5600X, a X570 mobo and a RTX 3080
Yep, you're affected. If you dropped the PCIe slot for your GPU to Gen 3 mode, your USB 2.0 ports would probably work fine. The issue appears to happen, at least most of the time, when combining PCIe 4 + USB 2.0

But there are some people also having issues with USB 3, and the HP Reverb G2 appears to be literally unusable for everyone on X570 / B550, so who the fuck knows lol

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
3900x and rx 6800.

no connectivity issues with a crosshair viii hero motherboard.

will keep an eye out though.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I am using a 5800x, 3080 and the Asus x570 gaming plus mobo and I've been lucky not to have any issues with USB disconnects. Although, I don't think the mobo has USB 2 ports, just a mix 3.1 and 3.2.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Guess it's a good thing that I haven't been able to find a 3080 yet, then lol

Hope they can fix it via a BIOS update.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
haven't had any issues with my build so far (5900x, 3080). Here's hoping it stays that way.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guess it's a good thing that I haven't been able to find a 3080 yet, then lol

Hope they can fix it via a BIOS update.
They've been trying for months. Gigabyte has released 3 updates that were supposed to fix it for my motherboard and I still lose devices randomly.

Glad they're finally acknowledging the issue. Gigabyte has been doing everything to make it not an issue with the motherboard when I contact them.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is a start, there were huge thread on Asus forum and Reddit earlier for this issue.
If you need lots of USB devices Zen 3 definitely isn't platform for you, just issue after issue, hopefully Intel can bounce back later this year.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3700X and Aorus X570 ITX, but luckily no issues. I don't use a ton of USB devices but I do always have my mouse, keyboard, and a DAC hooked up and never experienced any real issues. I think I lost my keyboard mysteriously once or twice but it was a simple plug-unplug and it worked fine again long term.

What I DID have though was ENDLESS sounds of USB connecting-disconnecting. It got to the point that I just turned off system sounds so I don't know if it was ever solved by an update or whatever. Just non-stop phantom USB device noises, like every 10 minutes. Which is A LOT if you're trying to watch a goddamn movie!

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
5900x + RTX 3070 on an Aorus Pro X570 here.
Haven't experienced any issues since the start of december when i put the rig together.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe I've had any real issues with it but I'm not using a bunch of USB ports at once, I have one sometimes used for an external HDD, my mouse and keyboard (which I think are both on a USB2 port) and my UPS, I have a MSI X570 Tomahawk and a 3090, my main issue has been a WHEA Hierarchy Error, with my launch 5950x that was always preceded and I assume triggered by IntelIHVRouter08.dll starting. I updated last week to the most recent BIOS MSI put out a week ago and haven't had an issue with Processor Errors since while that module loads but it wouldn't be the first time I've gone a week or more without it popping up, had been like five days from my last one when I updated and sometimes when it does it just keeps triggering for a bit before it stops again. I've also been trying to keep my chipset drivers update too.

Of course now that I've said that it'll probably happen again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
5800x and an RTX3070 an an Asus TUF X570 Pro Wi-Fi here.
Haven't had any problems with USB2 or 3 ports yet, but I might be having an issue with my USB C port. I guess I'll check it again sometime.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Hmm, I have an x570 with a 3600x and a 3080 and haven't noticed an issue. I also recently replayed Half Life Alyx on a HP Reverb G1 and didn't have an issue with that either.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
CPU-Z or reboot your computer and spam F2. to get into the bios.
The easiest option is to just open up System Information (msinfo32.exe) and it will be in there, along with most other information you will ever need about your system.
The easiest way to get to it is just through windows search or a Win+R (run) > msinfo32.exe > ok/enter

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well great, been sitting here with this X 570 E Rog Strix board ready to go for a 5900X if it ever comes in. Would be my first ever AMD build too.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Ahhh I have this issue. Occasionally windows says a USB port malfunctioned though every is working.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
I have similar problems in an asrock deskmini a300... with ryzen 5 3400g but it has no chipset... Logitech peripherals are continuously connecting and disconecting.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can an update fix this?
3IvOX8n.png

Nobody knows yet

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
FUCKING FINALLY they acknowledge it. I've been suffering with this since the launch of the 3080. I was one of the few lucky people to get a 3080 FE on launch, and at that point this issue was un heard of so I spent an ungodly amount of time figuring out why my USB devices started to fuck up as soon as I upgraded. I tried everything, was close to RMAing the GPU until eventually I found reports of it from the previous year with the 5700 cards, where dropping to Gen 3 solved it. Since then I'd been trying to go through support of AMD and Gigabyte (my board manufacturer) and neither of them were useful at all. Constantly telling me to do things I'd already tried. Gigabyte refused to talk to me anymore saying just to RMA it... As if that would solve it when by that point it was pretty apparent it affected a lot of people.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
the Gen3 setting is a semieffective workaround, it still happens but less frequently for some people.
I think there's a high chance the corrective firmware will properly fix that though, i hope for you guys it arrives quickly.

The speed differences for a 3080 in PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0 mode is negligible, right?

Yeah... only for a few benchmarks does it matter, but if you have a couple gen 4 nvmes it's sad to have to downgrade to gen 3.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The speed differences for a 3080 in PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0 mode is negligible, right?
Not massively in most workloads, but the bigger issue was a lot of boards were tying the NVMe lane gen version to the same bios option as the GPU. Up until December or so, when Gigabyte finally seperated it out, I had to run my Gen 4 NVMe at Gen 3 speeds as well since it was tied to GPU to avoid the issue and the difference is more pronounced on NVMe drives.

Fortunately Gigabyte have introduced a separate option now and I can run my NVMe at Gen 4 and my 3080 at Gen 3 which does still solve the USB issue, since for me it was only the GPU being set to Gen 4 which was causing the drop outs.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not massively in most workloads, but the bigger issue was a lot of boards were tying the NVMe lane gen version to the same bios option as the GPU. Up until December or so, when Gigabyte finally seperated it out, I had to run my Gen 4 NVMe at Gen 3 speeds as well since it was tied to GPU to avoid the issue and the difference is more pronounced on NVMe drives.

Fortunately Gigabyte have introduced a separate option now and I can run my NVMe at Gen 4 and my 3080 at Gen 3 which does still solve the USB issue, since for me it was only the GPU being set to Gen 4 which was causing the drop outs.

Hmm I guess I have to look into this, since I do also have a PCIe 4 m.2 drive