• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've begun to realize the meandering nature of the show just will never do it for me. It doesn't matter if it's better now, because in the end it will just continue spinning wheels due to having no end-game goals to work towards.

After Alpha there will just be another bad guy to fight, and on and on it goes.

This has been my issue with the Walking Dead in general. Kirkman doesn't have an end in mind, he's not building up to anything. It's pretty clear that it won't end until it stops making money or until he's tired of it, which will probably be never.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Better than season one? Well, I believe you since I trust anyone with a catboots-designed sona.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Better than season one? Well, I believe you since I trust anyone with a catboots avatar.
That's how you can tell I have good taste!

EDIT: Just saw your edit. My fursona was designed by my friends and I. Catboots just did the avatar haha

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I dropped out last season. I was actually ok with waiting for a Netflix pickup so I can watch it ad-free. May need to just watch it on demand.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
This has been my issue with the Walking Dead in general. Kirkman doesn't have an end in mind, he's not building up to anything. It's pretty clear that it won't end until it stops making money or until he's tired of it, which will probably be never.
Yeah, though last year he did claim that he does have an ending in mind that he's slowly building towards, but it's pretty far off and might take years to get to. Which...makes sense, but it's easy to just make a comment like that. There's been a bit of mention in the past that any walker around is going to decay and rot away EVENTUALLY, so he's probably just building to a future where most of the big walker herds have just simply rotted away and humanity builds itself back up with the implication that it could come crashing down at any point again. Humanity itself will continue to be the walking dead.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, though last year he did claim that he does have an ending in mind that he's slowly building towards, but it's pretty far off and might take years to get to. Which...makes sense, but it's easy to just make a comment like that. There's been a bit of mention in the past that any walker around is going to decay and rot away EVENTUALLY, so he's probably just building to a future where most of the big walker herds have just simply rotted away and humanity builds itself back up with the implication that it could come crashing down at any point again. Humanity itself will continue to be the walking dead.

This is something I could probably get into if it happened any faster. I'll keep my eye on the comics at least, because I don't necessarily have as many issues with how that is being handled

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The second to last episode and origin of the X scars were doozies. Been a long time since I've been that shocked watching a long running show.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
i will say this, people do have a point about how fucky Dumpster Glenn was, given how excellent of an episode it was. That was really shitty.

And yeah, this season has been excellent and those who think the whisperers are weak...how? They are dangerous as fuck and hide amongst Zombies. Zombies now have an intensity to them that has been lacking since episode 9 of season 6.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
The second to last episode and origin of the X scars were doozies. Been a long time since I've been that shocked watching a long running show.
Back-to-back some of the best and most memorable episodes of the series. The second-to-last one in particular is absolutely in my top five episodes.

my bad for the messup. Oh well, cute sona!
It's alright, a compliment is a compliment lol. Thank you!

i will say this, people do have a point about how fucky Dumpster Glenn was, given how excellent of an episode it was. That was really shitty.
I'll never defend that moment. I thought season six was good for the most part, but that moment was some real bullshit, especially given that he ended up actually dying not too long afterwards.

If he had actually died there, that would have been one thing. But to make it a fakeout like that was just a cheapass way to create a shocking moment.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just finished the finale which was weak, but the episode before it was crazy. It's still my favourite show on TV and I could happily watch it all day. I tend to binge 6 or so episodes in a row as one isn't enough.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped watching last season and have not gone back. Especially with Rick having left as well, I just do not see a point in it.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
So are they ever planning for an actual ending to this show? Have the comics moved towards some sort of resolution?

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
So are they ever planning for an actual ending to this show? Have the comics moved towards some sort of resolution?
Robert Kirkman has an ending in mind for the comics, but he said last year that it could still be several years away. The show is another thing entirely and probably won't end until it becomes financially unviable to continue; it's still a couple years behind the comics even.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The back half of the season was quite good. Felt like I was watching an extended movie with the increase in production quality.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch season 8 at all, but watched all of this season in the past couple days. There are still some of those Walking Dead tv show idiosyncrasies, but this was pretty good. Much better pacing and they managed to have some character building and mystery.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the Season. I'm a longtime fan and I was ready to drop the show 3 episodes into season 8 as they lost me completely. But I had some slow days at work last week and left the show running in the background because I heard that S9 is the high point since the show premiered in 2010 or 11?

And I wholeheartedly agree, OP. This season was fantastic. The pacing, a lot of memorable scenes, a lot of deaths and a threat that feels terrifying from the very first appearance.

I'm reading the comics simultaneously to watching the show so I'm pumped to get to the part where the show is at the moment.

I'm hyped for S10.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Got burned too hard after forgiving the show again and again and then being shit on with the Negan reveal cliffhanger. Nice to see that the quality has went up, though. I might give this series another chance one day.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I watched the first 8 episodes of the season. It was NOT their best fucking season. Not at all. That would be seasons 1 and 3 (minus the finales).

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
What they did with Carl ended the series for me. I took notes from Yoko Taro and said "and they all got eaten, the end." and now I'm done with it.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it is the best (maybe?) but it really was good. So many people were convinced the show was dead once Rick left but the second half of the season was honestly better than the first. The show can absolutely be great without him.

Free to watch in the US during August
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Reviving this thread like a zombie to let folks in the US know that the entirety of season nine is free to watch on the AMC app for iOS, Android, and Xbox One for the month of August. It may also be viewable on their website, though I can't say it with certainty.

Watch it if you haven't. It's good.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait. Rick's not in it any more?!
Without giving away details, no. Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan both left the show after episode five (at least, I think it was five). Lincoln is reprising his role as Rick in a trilogy of theatrical films though, while Cohan has expressed interest in returning as Maggie at some point down the line.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I am seriously out of the loop. Maybe I should catch up. Completely lost interest after Carl's lacklustre death. No idea what happens with Negan!

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. I am seriously out of the loop. Maybe I should catch up. Completely lost interest after Carl's lacklustre death. No idea what happens with Negan!
If you liked the show at any point, you should absolutely catch up on season nine. It's the best the show has ever been (though the fact that I made this thread at all should give away my thoughts on it, I suppose). We went right from having the worst season (eight) in the show's run to having the best. It's fantastic.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For me it never recovered after the Negan introduction. I think I started to lose interest after they left the prison. Negan was just the nail in the coffin. I have a vague idea of what's happening in the show, but no interest in actually watching it.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to keep watching after Negan exploded glenn's skull but the fun was kind of out of it for me. And then the start of season 8 happened and I had to bow out when it had literally become cod with zombies for 5 episodes straight. I don't think I can ever go back in, the show is dead to me, no amount of best season yet will ever resurrect it but I'm glad someone is still enjoying it.

Nov 28, 2017
I quit the show during season 2, which was total crap.
But then people started praising new seasons, and finally after season 5 I decided to return and watched all the seasons.
And just as I caught up, season 6 comes and Negan shows up and the show shits the bed completely. I powered through all the way to end of season 7 (stupid me) then gave up completely.
No way I am restarting again, because I know that if I do, season 10 will suck again. I got plenty of time, but I'd rather waste it on anything but TWD.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I bailed on this show when it turned out all of the gangster looking dudes were actually taking care of all of the elderly folks in the most eye rolling "don't judge a book by its cover" way.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I made it to season 6ish. Bring back Shane and I'll come back to the show. I don't care if it is his long lost twin brother.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I made it to season 6ish. Bring back Shane and I'll come back to the show. I don't care if it is his long lost twin brother.
He does make an appearance at one point in the season. Not for long, but he does appear.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Oh he's still around? Well there goes any interest I had.
Yes, but he's written much better / is much more believable / is handled with much more thought than before, and has actual genuine character development... which also goes for pretty much every character on the show in season nine.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
OK - I may jump back in. Can I skip the seasons I missed?
Was it season eight? I would say yes. I believe there's a short recap of sorts when you watch the first episode anyway, though if there isn't the only things you really need to know are:

During the war with the Saviors, Carl introduces a man named Siddiq to the group, but gets bitten by a zombie in the process and dies. In his last moments, Carl asks Rick and Michonne to show mercy to Negan and the Saviors, so at the end of the season when the communities win against them, Rick spares Negan, opting to lock him up in a cell for life instead of killing him. That doesn't sit well with Maggie, who begins to plot behind Rick's back with Daryl and Jesus to handle things her way.

And as an FYI, that final point is handled much, much more naturally than it sounds. It looked like it would be something dumb when the season eight finale aired and hinted at it, but it didn't quite go the way I expected it would (as in, I assumed it would be handled badly), and that's a good thing.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Eh....I couldn't get past the first episode to be honest. You are giving it waaaaaaaay too much credit. The first 5 seasons were solid. S6 - S8 are pretty bad.