• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
AMC has emerged as the first US movie theater chain to respond to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, with plans to reduce auditorium attendance by 50 percent of the standard level to promote social distancing, Deadline reports.

The chain, the largest in the country, will now only sell half the number of tickets per theater that it normally does, and any theater with more than 500 seats will be automatically capped at a max of 250 people. AMC is also having its theaters comply with local and federal restrictions on large gatherings and limiting ticket availability and screenings in certain auditoriums as a result.

"The health and safety of our guests and theatre teams are of the utmost importance to AMC. Therefore, AMC is proactively taking action to cut in half the number of tickets that we will make available at all our US theatres," said Adam Aron, the AMC Theaters chief executive, in a statement. "With this action, who still want to see movies on a big screen."

www.theverge.com

AMC will practice “social distance” by capping movie theater attendance at 50 percent

Theater chains are expecting severe drops in movie attendance.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
This will last two days, they did the same here and today all theatres are closed.

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I go to the movies and it's mostly empty some mfer always sits RIGHT next to me regardless like wtf you could sit anywhere else.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shut it down. Just shut theaters down.

Yeah I'm totally still going to see movies. I like movies.
Harvard said 70% of the entire population is going to get it, so...whatever. Might as well just keep on keeping on.

Watch movies at home. Or when this is all over.
How fucking selfish can you be??? And your statement is fucking ludicrous. You need to be fucking called out on this.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory commentary
Shut it down. Just shut theaters down.

Watch movies at home. Or in a few months time when this is all over with a minimum of casualties.
How fucking selfish can you be??? And your statement is fucking ludicrous.

I think ya might be overreacting just a wee bit there. I'm going to keep living my life and washing my hands. It's really not that big of a deal.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my local theater (usually pretty busy on a Friday) and shows are half full at best. It's pretty crazy to see the effects in your daily life.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I am not overreacting. Stop going to movies. You need to make adjustments in your life so others may live.

It is a big deal. Educate yourself.
Washing your hands will not fix this alone.
Imagine still thinking this. What a fucking idiot.

Cool so this is what the CDC says. But of course, what do they know?
I'm not sick, I have no symptoms. I'm not going to put my arm around a stranger in the theater.
This right here, this is beyond silly.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

The best way to prevent COVID-19 infection is to avoid exposure to this virus and use healthy habits.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
They should also block off every other seat. Like on Fandango every other seat should be grayed out and not available to pick.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool so this is what the CDC says. But of course, what do they know?
I'm not sick, I have no symptoms. I'm not going to put my arm around a stranger in the theater.
This right here, this is beyond silly.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

The best way to prevent COVID-19 infection is to avoid exposure to this virus and use healthy habits.
You didn't even read that shit.

In bold, second line of the fucking site. "The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus." this is your defense for continuing to go to movies, an act that would surely increase the likelihood of exposure which is the opposite of avoiding exposure?? Arm around someone??? Please cite where you are reading that. 4th and 5th line: Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet). Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
they should just cap at 0% and pay their employees during the emergency period.

Exactly. "We are concerned with the health of our attendees, but not enough to still not want to make money!".

Then they should just keep it that way forever because yes please.

That's cool when you're flying solo, but not when you're either with a friend or family. It does get really old though after the 100th time hearing someone chomp on popcorn, mess with a plastic wrapper the entire way through, or simply non stop talking. Picture is better on my OLED anyway, and the main reason I even go anymore is just for the big blockbuster, or horror film 4-6 times a year because they happen to be available when my friends are free.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, I mean, at this point I'm not going to go to a packed Friday showing or anything, but I'd still see a Tuesday daytime showing where there's four people in the theater. I'll take a few wipes and wipe the area down first. We should be making adjustments, but we also still need to live our lives to some degree. This could literally go on for six months or more. I'm a lot more likely to have an issue at my packed office than sitting two rows away from anyone at a movie.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
movie makers are better off selling new movies on demand than have to split way less money with movie theatres.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
That's cool when you're flying solo, but not when you're either with a friend or family. It does get really old though after the 100th time hearing someone chomp on popcorn, mess with a plastic wrapper the entire way through, or simply non stop talking. Picture is better on my OLED anyway, and the main reason I even go anymore is just for the big blockbuster, or horror film 4-6 times a year because they happen to be available when my friends are free.

I swear to god, if popcorn had never been associated with movies before and they tired to get that shit going today, people would be so pissed. I love pocorn, I fucking hate hearing it at the movies. And the people who ruffle the bags! Chew with your mouth closed!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to work. I wont be going to see a movie for a while. Too bad for any movies coming out this year.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I will provide 100% social distancing by staying home.

I worked at AMC- will they disinfect every single seat after every single movie? You should see what people do in the theaters. Filthy animals.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god, if popcorn had never been associated with movies before and they tired to get that shit going today, people would be so pissed. I love pocorn, I fucking hate hearing it at the movies. And the people who ruffle the bags! Chew with your mouth closed!
Based on your attitude, I'm guessing you go to all these movies alone. Which helps make sense of your ignorance in regards to the exposure of others.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

No joke, when I went to see TLJ the first time, and we had reserved seats (which were dedicated to D-Box only at the time), I had to sit next to someone who had a ten course meal of crunchy shit in crinkly wrappers the entire way through. It literally sounded like someone eating a huge bag of nachos, and when that was finished, a bunch of candy, then back to some other crunchy thing until they were finally finished with twenty minutes left of the film. I've never been into one of the theaters yet where they actually let you have a dinner...all the slurping would probably drive me mad.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
No joke, when I went to see TLJ the first time, and we had reserved seats (which were dedicated to Dbox only at the time), I had to sit next to someone who had a ten course meal of crunchy shit in crinkly wrappers the entire way through. It literally sounded like someone eating a huge bag of nachos, and when that was finished, a bunch of candy, then back to some other crunchy thing until they were finally finished with twenty minutes left of the film.

You'd think now that they have restaurant theaters, people would just go to those. But nope, gotta have a 18 dollar, 6 inch frozen pizza in a normal ass movie theater.