• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
of course they will. They were barely getting by before covid19. Passing the cost on absolutely makes sense. Spread out amongst moviegoers that could mean ticket prices go up$1 or popcorn is $0.50 more now. Not a huge deal imo

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bold strategy (if they're smart they'll only increase food/drink prices)

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about I go buy a 75 inch TV and tell you to go fuck yourself. I'm not going to the theaters for a long time. I'm not going anywhere but to get groceries for a long time due to the stupidity of the people of the USA.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably done going to movie theaters for good tbh. I'm surprised at how little I've missed them this year. I plan to save for a nice 4K set in the next year or two and I'll be set. There's absolutely no way I'm paying more for the theater experience, even when it's safe to go out in public again.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. It's an investor meeting, so of course the CEO feels no problem with proudly proclaiming that he's going to fuck over his customers to recoup losses.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
He's stupid for suggesting it is a good time to reopen. But when fewer movies are releasing, less people are going to be going, and any cash they had has been drained beyond belief - yes, of course they need to cover their costs when they can reopen. How are they supposed to survive on slimmer audiences if they don't charge more? I'm open to ideas.

How about cutting the ridiculous salaries and bonuses executives get

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
And those costs will still remain there after covid is done(if ever in the US)

Oct 25, 2017
There have been a lot of movies about how wealthy people expect the rest of us to die so that they can live. Some of these movies have been blockbusters. Some of these movies have been shown in AMC theaters.

I wonder how this plays out.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
How about cutting the ridiculous salaries and bonuses executives get
That's not enough to cover how much they are losing this year
They choosing to open during an on going paramedic despise being told what terrible of idea it is, now they also want to charge people more for opening up soon.
They are pushing to open because they are out of money. Doesn't make it smart, but they don't have money to stay closed for most of an entire year. I don't agree with him on the notion they can reopen yet, but I don't at all think he is crazy for saying that it costs more per person to run a theater with cleaning and distancing instead of packed all day with big audiences.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I'm not going to one for a long while. Not gonna miss them if they're gone either. Charging us more during a pandemic with high unemployment and a recession? Doesn't sound like a good plan.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically, even if it felt safe to go ahead and attend a movie in a theater, they were already super expensive.
Raising the prices further, especially in the current covid environment is a big nope.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Movie theaters are definitely my most missed activity but this is a big fat lol from me.

Don't see how the American theater industry survives this in any recognizable form.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite optimistic that anything of substance will be released before things are "more normal".

Maybe you could open an AMC location in certain states or cities, but what company is going to release a new film?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Raising prices when people are already scared of going to the theaters got a chuckle out of me.

I'm curious what their thinking was to lead them to that?

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
How is it that it seems to only be AMC making all these claims & whatnot? I haven't heard Regal or Cinemark in the news about this situation

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I am not paying more than $10 for a popcorn or a drink.

Sounds like I won't be going to the movies anymore, which is sad.

Seems like the outdoor theaters though have seen a huge Resurgence.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is as preposterous as people are making it. Of course prices are going to go up with less volume and more costs.

Maybe think of it as a covidiot tax instead.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is as preposterous as people are making it. Of course prices are going to go up with less volume and more costs.

Maybe think of it as a covidiot tax instead.

Yes, but i wonder how much.

The rooftops in chicago were only $79 for watch a baseball game with all you can eat and drink.

The rooftops right now? $400 Thats almost 4x the cost. Can you imagine if a small thing of popcorn is somehow $24 at the movies?