• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
All of CA is still closed (not that I would, anyhow) but surprised to see that 90% across the country are open now!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Give me the vaccine and yes, I'll restart my A List membership and start going every Sunday morning when no one else is in the theater like I used to. I think the biggest showing I went to had 5 people? It's pretty easy to stay secluded and quiet when the crowd's so small.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Big nope until I get the vaccine. I seem to get sick easily at movie theaters, even when I try to be careful and wash my hands a lot.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
"Looks up California" Nope. Not even if I wanted to.

Once I get my vaccination and they open, I could go for a matinee. Away from everyone and no popcorn or drink for a while.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
If I had enough friends in the area to justify it I might consider doing one of the $99 theater rental movies at the local AMC, but there's not a chance in hell I'm seeing a regular movie until the vaccination numbers are significantly higher.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I would if the right movie was in theaters. I'm a little more comfortable than some, however, since I already had COVID.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nothing I wanna see showing, so it's an easy nah.

Tell you what though, thinking on theaters makes me realize how much I miss Ghibli Fest. 2019 was the first time I went to see any of them in theaters (and a number of em, first time viewings period). I was ready to see em all in 2020. :(

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
My family and our parents are going to rent a screen to take the kids to see Raya. Not too expensive if you split it, $150 total

Rent a screen would be the way to go if all adults are vaccinated; treat it like a night at the Opera (price wise) and only go like once every 2-3 months until more people have been vaccinated.

It'll make the ventures more meaningful and memorable too. But in the meantime and in between, stay home at catch up on *loud echoey voice*: THE ENDLESS BACKLOG OF NEVER ENDING CONTENT!

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Not that I have an AMC theater near me but I'll be getting the second dose of my Pfizer vaccine next month but still wont be going out to places for a while.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Nah, I used to be big on the A list but after the last movie I saw in theater and the disappointment it was (Harley Quinn movie) was, I'm good on rushing back to the cinema.

Another reason is, I live in a state/county with the highest death rate on covid so far.

Finally, I invested on high-end TV to be able to enjoy movies from home in the mean time.

I see myself going back for a very big special movie maybe in 2022. Probably try to hold off as many years as I can and treat it like a special bottle of wine so the day I go back into a theater I can experience Dolby Atmos 8k mind blowing gut rumbling 4D experience or something like that.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I'm vaccinated, but I don't know when I'll feel comfortable enough to go to a theater.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely went to the movie theatre even in the before times. I'm not going now, especially when so many are available digitally day one.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Any movie theater that does not limit attendance to sub-10% capacity, with at least 2 employees watching with infrared goggles to enforce near constant mask wearing and only allow drinking (no popcorn!), is unsafe.

That is what is necessary, masks and 6ft distancing. 6ft. Not 5 or 4ft. Do the math. 25% capacity is STILL too much density. Seats are not 3ft wide. Do the health math, not the theater profit math.

The virus leaves your nose and mouth when you eat and drink. People love to eat and drink at theaters. people can be eating and drinking for many dozens of minutes each movie.

Sure, theater could be safe at 25% capacity if everybody is wearing n95 masks instead of cloth masks or (god forbid) bandanas. Maybe even 50% capacity if you enforce mask wearing 100% of the time (Go outside to drink.) but the experience would suck.

The magic word is "Herd immunity". When (if) that happens and covid is nothing but a bad flu, theaters can go back to normal. Until then, you are putting yourself and potentially others at risk for your love of the arts. There are worse reasons for risking lives and killing people than Cinema but I'm going to stick with my TV.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Rent a screen would be the way to go if all adults are vaccinated; treat it like a night at the Opera (price wise) and only go like once every 2-3 months until more people have been vaccinated.

It'll make the ventures more meaningful and memorable too. But in the meantime and in between, stay home at catch up on *loud echoey voice*: THE ENDLESS BACKLOG OF NEVER ENDING CONTENT!
We are really looking forward to it. We used to take the kids to see new Disney releases in the theater as a big group before the pandemic and it's been a sorely missed activity. All of the adults have been vaccinated except one who had COVID. They still require masks of course.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
No new releases in theaters until my wife and I have vaccines, and even then it will take a while for us to feel safe. It sucks because I really want to see Raya & the Last Dragon in theaters, but obviously not to the point where we will risk our lives.

We rented out a theater for $100 for Valentines Day and split the cost with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, and it was for an old movie (Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse). That was the only way we felt safe.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm vaccinated. You couldn't pay me to go to a theater right now.