• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
So they gonna be having people sat two seats apart? Also wouldn't you have to sterilise the cinema after every viewing though.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
So they gonna be having people sat two seats apart? Also wouldn't you have to sterilise the cinema after every viewing though.

They will pretend to assure the public with some faux social distancing plans, mask policies and hygiene practices like the airlines for good PR

...but never really implement them

Nov 13, 2017
It would be smarter for movie studios to start lobbying congress to take down websites like Pirate Bay and 123movies if they ever want VOD to be viable for mega blockbusters.

Nov 8, 2017
They already reopened here in the Netherlands over a week ago. Reservation only, maximum 30 people (increasing to 100 in July), at least 1.5m apart. I wouldn't go right now, but then I never had much interest in going to the cinema in the first place.

On the other hand, I did go to my local arcade last weekend. It's the same deal: Reservation only, maximum 30 people. I stayed there 3 hours; the staff were cleaning the games very frequently.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen every Nolan movie in theaters, but I'll be skipping Tenet. That's putting too much trust into strangers to follow social distance guidelines.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, I wasn't going to theaters much before Covid-19, I can't imagine going again any time soon.

Doesn't help them that favorite directors of mine (like Scorsese) have new movies available on streaming.

As for the big releases, the new Chris Nolan movie looks like a convoluted mess that I'd rather skip - and while I'm looking forward to the new Wes Anderson movie, I can wait to buy the blu-ray - that would cost the same as one or two tickets anyhow, and I would own it!

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to fail and theaters chains will be consolidated by bigger companies anyway.

Local theaters need more support anyway.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It would be smarter for movie studios to start lobbying congress to take down websites like Pirate Bay and 123movies if they ever want VOD to be viable for mega blockbusters.

These sites are never going away. Take one down, another pops up. Plus I think there are a lot of cases where your average consumer can't really be arsed with torrents - look at how well Trolls World Tour did. I live in the UK and despite the Mandalorian being torrentable months before it released here, most of my friends waited until it dropped on D+ in March and watched it weekly.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
As much as i am begging to see TENET, THE GREEN KNIGHT, and the FRENCH DISPATCH...

none of those will get me into a theater this year.

The only movie that could get me into a theater this year would be DUNE. but luckily thats been postponed.

This coming from someone who has been seeing on average two movies a week in the theater for the last 3 years (since moviepass day 1 then A-List)

fuck that noise

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Very hard pass, as much as I miss going to the movies. Just not worth the risk.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Whatever's going to release this month is going to bomb spectacularly even if it's a re-release.

Based on how people are acting I'm sure they will be there in droves with very few wearing face masks.

Some cinephiles just can't help themselves. They'll do whatever they can to preserve the art of the cinematic experience even at the expense of other people's health.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to fail and theaters chains will be consolidated by bigger companies anyway.

Local theaters need more support anyway.
I would also trust the staff at my local indie theaters to more closely abide by health guidelines than the teenagers working at AMCs. Maybe the Arclight too.

The only movie that could get me into a theater this year would be DUNE. but luckily thats been postponed.
It hasn't, though if Tenet or Wonder Woman move, Dune will def get pushed to next year.

Last edited:

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I love going to the movies. I have a-list and went weekly, but I don't know about this. I'm nervous about it.

Even with social distancing... you're all in one room breathing each other's air. Covid heaven.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Anyone going to a movie theater before a vaccine is available is a nominee for a Darwin Award.

Years from now -

"Your grandfather died during the 2020 virus pandemic."

"Oh! Was he an Essential Worker? A Medical Professional?"

"No. He wanted to see a movie."

Not just that. He wanted to see it in a theater. Could have just waited to stream it at home.