• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think the biggest thing for AMC and Gamestop is that they now have time (and cash) to pivot to figure out how they can be part of this streaming/digital future.

This week has been just crazy though.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't just a meme rally, no? I thought AMC was closets to a similiar situation to GME, that hedgefunds had overly shorted the stock, so there is a decent chance of a squeeze.

Correct me if i am wrong.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It is kind of amazing that they havent yet. It is almost like they are HOLDING! just like the rest of WSB. Do they not have enough % of the company to give?

Do we know when AMC sold their shares?

Wednesday, whoooops. Everyone makes mistakes

AMC disclosed on Wednesday that it had sold $304.8 million worth of stock on Monday and Tuesday, at an average price of $4.81 per share. The company's shares, however, jumped as much as 310% on Wednesday as the speculative frenzy intensified. They closed at $19.90 a share, about 301% higher on the day. Had AMC sold the same number of shares at that price, it would have raised $1.26 billion.

www.reuters.com

AMC seizes on rally to sell stock, but misses even bigger payday

AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc said on Wednesday it had raised $304.8 million by selling shares during an unprecedented social media-driven rally in its stock, though the U.S. movie theater firm could have raised about four times more by waiting one more day.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't just a meme rally, no? I thought AMC was closets to a similiar situation to GME, that hedgefunds had overly shorted the stock, so there is a decent chance of a squeeze.

Correct me if i am wrong.
They're quite a ways away from GME short, last I read it was like 60'ish%. I don't think there are other major names in the same position as GME where it's over 100%. Although who knows where these hedge funds are now at after their fuckery.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
They're quite a ways away from GME short, last I read it was like 60'ish%. I don't think there are other major names in the same position as GME where it's over 100%. Although who knows where these hedge funds are now at after their fuckery.

The rumors were that they shorted GME and others again before asking/telling Robinhood to shutdown buying those stocks ensuring that they fell.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
yeah last I had read its nowhere near GME situation but was the closest 2nd or something.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Honestly not upset about this at all. I'm not looking forward to a future without theaters but im also vehemently against the bullshit some people in hollywood are doing trying to force theaters to be a thing still during the pandemic

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of amazing that they havent yet. It is almost like they are HOLDING! just like the rest of WSB. Do they not have enough % of the company to give?

AMC also sold $300 million of shares on Monday. If AMC waited a couple days for the meme to go into high gear, they would've made $900 million more, so now they'll have to sell 12 more large popcorns to make up for it.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Could people have bought meme Sega stock back in the day to make it survive? (Stay in console race)

Probably not, Sega had been unprofitable for years and an influx of cash wouldn't have changed the fact that their business wasn't making money.

Also, their new ceo at the time had been a proponent of Sega going third party for a long time, so it was inevitable.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My $8 helped screw over billionaires and helped out an ailing theater chain. Neato.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless AMC introduced more shares into the market through another public offering the stock price does nothing for their cash flow.

When did AMC sell more shares?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless AMC introduced more shares into the market through another public offering the stock price does nothing for their cash flow.

When did AMC sell more shares?
2 days ago. Caused a massive drop in the stock price. That's where this $600 million number comes from.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My AMC theater is my favorite theater to go to, so I'm glad that they get to stay afloat for awhile, will be excited to go back to the movies once the vaccine is out there more

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Another example of private equity making out from this whole thing like bandits.

Silver Lake converted its $600 million in AMC debt to stock at $13.50 and then sold all of it off as it went up through Wednesday.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
2 days ago. Caused a massive drop in the stock price. That's where this $600 million number comes from.

I think that is silver lake converting the debt of around 600 million to stock and then selling it off. I think AMC made around 300 million when they sold on Tuesday like it says in the articles posted by others.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Millennials, long thought of as harbingers of destruction have risen to a new plane. They now have the power to choose which companies live, and which will die.

Hopefully Nestle will die. Fuck those guys.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The difference between their pre-meme financing and this meme infusion is, I think, that the financing carries debt obligations while the stock offering is just free money, and they cleared a bit of their corporate debt too as stock options were called in by owners who wanted to sell into the rally, which is probably one of the reasons it did not take off, too much selling from debt holders and AMC.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the biggest thing for AMC and Gamestop is that they now have time (and cash) to pivot to figure out how they can be part of this streaming/digital future.

This week has been just crazy though.

"Introducing GAMESTOP NOW! Pre-order your favorite new games and not only can you buy them physically day one, but add them to your Gamestop Now streaming library and play them instantly on launch day! Only $9.99 a month with a large library of older titles."

"Order on AMC.com for your 'Godzilla vs. Kong' Deluxe package! With your $40 online purchase, you'll get a one-day digital rental, and we'll ship you an IMAX ticket (good where states are open), a souvenir cup and popcorn bucket with two 16oz Coke cans and large bag of our movie theatre popcorn!"

Note that neither of those are real, I'm just spit-balling ideas.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Introducing GAMESTOP NOW! Pre-order your favorite new games and not only can you buy them physically day one, but add them to your Gamestop Now streaming library and play them instantly on launch day! Only $9.99 a month with a large library of older titles."

"Order on AMC.com for your 'Godzilla vs. Kong' Deluxe package! With your $40 online purchase, you'll get a one-day digital rental, and we'll ship you an IMAX ticket (good where states are open), a souvenir cup and popcorn bucket with two 16oz Coke cans and large bag of our movie theatre popcorn!"

Note that neither of those are real, I'm just spit-balling ideas.
funny thing is some theaters are selling shit like popcorn etc. on grubhub etc. They could develop some sort of meal deal thing in collaboration with the studios. Stream the movie and get popcorn and drinks delivered.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestops entire business model largely relies on used titles no. Even if they wanted to transition to a digital future they would need to lobby for digital ownership and build a platform for that. Which I don't think they can really do. I'm not sure how they can transition when the goal of many publishers is to largely cut them out.

As for AMC the model does have to change the problem again is the source. The movie industry holds all the cards. This is the problem any time you deal with basically being a commodities vendor and not a platform.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
funny thing is some theaters are selling shit like popcorn etc. on grubhub etc. They could develop some sort of meal deal thing in collaboration with the studios. Stream the movie and get popcorn and drinks delivered.

My wife got me a $300 popcorn machine for Christmas and it's awesome. Those Great Northern all-in-one packs on Amazon are the real deal.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
man wtf. Finally got my cash into my charles schwab account. Oh apparently I can't place any orders for AMC....

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Not gonna lie--this makes me a little happy. Going to my local AMC with my sister and brother were one of the pre-pandemic activities I missed doing. Nice to see they'll stay afloat a bit longer.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Because Gamestop's balance sheet is actually pretty solid and the main reason why the guy DFV made this ridiculous bet. Gamestop probably feels indebted to WSB for giving them this second life and want to continue screwing over the company that shorted them.