• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Winds, based on the popular Leaphorn & Chee book series by Tony Hillerman, has received a six-episode order. The series is a psychological thriller that follows two Navajo police officers, Leephorn and Chee, in the 1970s Southwest as their search for clues in a grisly double murder case forces them to challenge their own spiritual beliefs and come to terms with the trauma of their pasts. Season 1 is expected to premiere on AMC+ and AMC in 2022.

Created and executive produced by Graham Roland (Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan), the series stars Zahn McClarnon (Westworld) and Kiowa Gordon (Roswell, New Mexico) as Navajo Tribal Police Officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee, respectively.

The room for Dark Winds, staffed entirely by Native American writers led by Roland, worked on scripts for several months.

Chris Eyre, who directed Skinwalkers and also was the first Native American to win a DGA Award for Directorial Achievement in Children's Programs, will direct the pilot and will also executive produce

GRRM said:
Tony Hillerman was one of the greats, as every mystery reader knows. Down here in the Southwest, Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee are as iconic as Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Philip Marlowe, and Travis McGee. When my friends Robert Redford and Chris Eyre asked me to help bring Leaphorn and Chee back to television, I could not agree fast enough. We have great source material in Tony's novel 'Listening Woman,' a great pilot script from Graham Rowland, a great director in Chris… and what a pair of leads, with Zahn McClarnon as Leaphorn and Kiowa Gordon as Chee! Our plan is to shoot in New Mexico, in and around Santa Fe and on the Navajo reservation, and we are bringing in as many Navajo and other Native Americans as possible, as writers, directors, cast, and crew, to capture all the magic and mystery and wonder of the Land of Enchantment. Thanks to AMC for making it possible. Tony Hillerman wrote a lot of amazing books, and it is our dream to adapt as many of them as we can.

deadline.com

AMC Orders ‘Dark Winds’ Series From Graham Roland, George R.R. Martin & Robert Redford Based On Tony Hillerman Books; Zahn McClarnon & Kiowa Gordon Star

AMC Networks has greenlighted Western noir thriller series Dark Winds, based on the popular Leaphorn & Chee book series by Tony Hillerman, for AMC and AMC+. Created and executive produced by Graham Roland (Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan), the series stars Zahn McClarnon (Westworld), who also is an...

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Good to see GRRM is working on a Winds something.

Don't really know the source material, hope it's good.

ETA:
Gah, beaten.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of this before but it sounds like something I'd dig. Here's hoping the adaptation is great.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I read that as wrestler noir thriller, and now I'm kind of disappointed it's not that?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Stop taking extra work and finish your damn series. Why even start if you're not going to finish. As a writer it's so infuriating.

edit: sorry for being off topic lol.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Huh, based on the thread title / description I initially thought this would be an adaptation of Scalped, but this looks interesting also! Will definitely be checking this out.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for sure. Western noir is honestly one of my favorite genres, which I don't think I would've expected before watching things like No Country for Old Men and Wind River

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Zahn gave an amazing performance in westworld, glad to see him getting his own show.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Always glad to see Zahn McClarnon in a major role; I wish someone would remake Navajo Joe with him in the lead

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Zahn was amazing in the best episode of Westworld. It seems he's about to be in Hawkeye as well.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Zahn McClarnon has been truly excellent in everything I've seen him in, incredibly excited to see him get a big lead role like this. Not familiar with the source material but seems interesting enough and GRRM's involvement makes me chuckle more than anything at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
I get the GRRM jokes, but dude has lived in Santa Fe for several decades and seems to be pretty active in the creative community there, with this project it actually makes sense he's involved

(And for all the talk about progress in the statements, AMC probably wouldn't greenlight a Navajo-centric project without some big name involved)

mr_f

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 30, 2021
I'm definitely in for this. I don't care about GRRM's involvement, because he is never finishing his books anyway.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two months late, but I'll contribute more ASOIAF whining:

On topic, sounds neat, I'm interested.