• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Here in Mexico the deals on theaters are only for doctors and everyone working at medical centers, they can enter for free... everybody else still paying the same expensive amount as before the pandemic LMAO, beyond ridiculous. Several theaters over here are open but they are absolute ghost towns, don't know why they bothered to reopen. I guess they are only open to sell their expensive snacks.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The strategy is so backwards. They should charge premium for the tickets, go for the high margin low turnover approach. This way only richer/more movie addicts would go, less packed theater, safer for customers, and they still make some money.

Nov 13, 2017
I don't understand how any theatrical release will turn a profit without NY theaters reopen.

I would consider seeing Wonder Woman in theaters if AMC installed UV lights in all of their airducts, and I could sit all the way up top in the corner without anyone near me, and with a mask and shield.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just release the darn things on digital distribution. This is not the hill to kill people on, because the people fighting for theaters to not die are the ones that would never go during these times, not to public theaters anyway.

This just seem like a move similar to opening schools this month. They know this will spread stuff but they want to go back to business as usual because they want to make a butt load of money again.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just release the darn things on digital distribution. This is not the hill to kill people on, because the people fighting for theaters to not die are the ones that would never go during these times, not to public theaters anyway.

This just seem like a move similar to opening schools this month. They know this will spread stuff but they want to go back to business as usual because they want to make a butt load of money again.
Movie theaters were not exactly making money hand over fist to begin with. I'm not going to argue against the public health implications of theaters reopening, but the idea they just "want to make a butt load of money again" is not accurate; theaters will simply die without any new revenue. That's what's driving the urgency to reopen.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Movie theaters were not exactly making money hand over fist to begin with. I'm not going to argue against the public health implications of theaters reopening, but the idea they just "want to make a butt load of money again" is not accurate; theaters will simply die without any new revenue. That's what's driving the urgency to reopen.
Not the theaters, the movie studios. Nolan types that talk down on digital.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People's inability to sacrifice some of their favorite activities for a year in order to clamp down on this virus is really, truly astounding. I live in NY and until there is a widely available vaccine I will not eat inside a restaurant, go to a gym, fly on a plane, go far for a vacation, go to a sporting event or go to a movie/musical w/e. It's just not happening and the amount of people who can't put up with that inconvenience for a year is why this country will never truly get a handle on this virus.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not the theaters, the movie studios. Nolan types that talk down on digital.
Studios can't force theaters to reopen and have mostly delayed their 2020 releases into next year or put them on VOD already. Theaters are reopening of their own volition because they will die off if they don't.

People's inability to sacrifice some of their favorite activities for a year in order to clamp down on this virus is really, truly astounding. I live in NY and until there is a widely available vaccine I will not eat inside a restaurant, go to a gym, fly on a plane, go far for a vacation, go to a sporting event or go to a movie/musical w/e. It's just not happening and the amount of people who can't put up with that inconvenience for a year is why this country will never truly get a handle on this virus.

That is not why this country could not get a handle on the virus, and tbh asking people to hit pause on not just their lives but their livelihoods for a whole year is really asking a lot. Other countries that have gotten infections under control (which is seemingly most of the industrialized world) did not do so by asking their citizens to give up their jobs and businesses for a year; they didn't need to, and we didn't have to need to either.

Oct 27, 2017
Names a pandemic reopening campaign after the year 1920.... which is just two years after the deadliest pandemic in US history....

I can't physically fathom how AMC walked directly into that closed fist.

What the fuck was the marketing department thinking?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Studios can't force theaters to reopen and have mostly delayed their 2020 releases into next year or put them on VOD already. Theaters are reopening of their own volition because they will die off if they don't.
But they can hold their movies, or just wait to release them on digital. I'm guessing these theaters are playing old content after the quotes, but Tenet is in the title and OP. All being ready for Tenet's release, probably having a lead up to it to prepare or hope things are smooth sailing for it. The studio should either sit on it if they don't want to put it on digital, or wait until it's safe.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
But they can hold their movies, or just wait to release them on digital. I'm guessing these theaters are playing old content after the quotes, but Tenet is in the title and OP. All being ready for Tenet's release, probably having a lead up to it to prepare or hope things are smooth sailing for it. The studio should either sit on it if they don't want to put it on digital, or wait until it's safe.
Tenet is the only film that's committed to a theatrical release right now, and even that's mainly for overseas. The same studio releasing Tenet just recently couldn't commit to Wonder Woman and Dune still getting on-time theatrical releases this year; Disney said Mulan going to PVOD is a one-off experiment, but if it works it's certainly possible they'll do something similar with Black Widow and Soul (and there were already rumors of Soul going to D+); and the Bond producers are reportedly contemplating pushing No Time to Die again, to next summer. And that's basically all the big titles left for the year lol. Studios are mainly already sitting on their films for next year or releasing them on digital where it makes sense. That's a big reason why so many theater owners were dismayed by the Mulan news: they were really banking on that and Tenet for a revival. Now Mulan isn't happening and Tenet is only being released sporadically in the US.

Like I said, the urgency to reopen asap is coming entirely from the movie theaters, not the studios, because it's become an existential problem for them. I'm not defending the public health risks of it, I'm just saying that's why that is.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's cool....but I'll pay $10.00 & see 2 movies at the drive-in in the comfort of my vehicle.
They've been doing pop-up drive-ins here in parking lots over at the airport, and the last real drive-in in our area that was scheduled to close in May and become a swap meet has stayed open and doing gang busters.

If you've got a hatchback, put the back seat down, pop open the hatch, get one of those portable box speakers, and you're in business.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just stay home and watch Bill & Ted Face the Music on-demand instead.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Between schools opening and this, people are desperate to put gas on the fire.

All this while we are hitting our highest deaths per day totals since mid May.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

That is not why this country could not get a handle on the virus, and tbh asking people to hit pause on not just their lives but their livelihoods for a whole year is really asking a lot. Other countries that have gotten infections under control (which is seemingly most of the industrialized world) did not do so by asking their citizens to give up their jobs and businesses for a year; they didn't need to, and we didn't have to need to either.
Reopening too quickly is exactly what caused a major resurgence in cases in the US after a mostly successful period of lockdown. Certain businesses are inherently more risky in terms of community spread and indoor theaters are one of them. The supposed mask requirements are meaningless if they still plan on selling food and allowing people to consume it in the theater.

It's also clear that we cannot trust establishments to self regulate because we've already seen them put profit ahead of safety time and time again during the course of the pandemic.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Someone mentioned in a comment "so i can buy a theater out for $20? cause that's the only way I would go to the theater" and now I want to see if that's allowed

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Like I get that it's just a movie, but it's also livelihood and supporting something we care about while taking as many precautions as we can. What's funny is two of our friends are joining us and one of them is a Doctor. Socially distanced, of course.

Well, I work in TV/Movies and I have been unemployed since March. I have been in meetings all week discussing new Covid safety measures. I love going to the movies, I love working in movies/tv. I want the theater industry to survive. I don't have an exact timeline when we are supposed to start production, but so far I am loving the safety measures they are trying to implement.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I work in TV/Movies and I have been unemployed since March. I have been in meetings all week discussing new Covid safety measures. I love going to the movies, I love working in movies/tv. I want the theater industry to survive. I don't have an exact timeline when we are supposed to start production, but so far I am loving the safety measures they are trying to implement.

Ditto. I've worked on/off in development for a long while and I thankfully have a 2nd career as well. It's hurt many people I care about and has forced quite a few people I know to leave Los Angeles. Been a tough situation all around.

Hope you can get back out there soon, amigo.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Reopening too quickly is exactly what caused a major resurgence in cases in the US after a mostly successful period of lockdown.
Yes, but many of those reopenings were happening in states that were taking victory laps in April. The Northeast had barely moved past its peak before places like Florida, Arizona, Texas, and Georgia were reopening businesses again. As many other countries are proving, it doesn't taking a full year of sacrificing people's jobs and incomes and businesses to get things under control. But it does take more than the couple weeks that many states gave it.