• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Figured this was thread-worthy considering it's a big change to the release schedule of the show, but maybe not? I dunno.

For anyone not aware, season ten of TWD already aired in late 2019 / early 2020... for the most part. Post-production on the sixteenth episode (the season finale) wasn't able to be finished due to the pandemic, so the season sort of ended a little early on the fifteenth episode back in early April. They announced at that time that they would air the finale later this year as a "special episode", but didn't give any more information.

During today's Comic-Con@Home panel for the season finale, it was announced that the sixteenth episode will finally air on Sunday, October 4th at the usual time (9PM Eastern / 8PM Central). However, later in the panel, showrunner Angela Kang also announced that the season is being extended by six episodes, for a total number of 22 episodes for the season. The six new episodes will air sometime early 2021. The Twitter account for the brand has clarified (sort of weirdly) that episode sixteen is still considered the finale; the six new episodes are considered bonus episodes, whatever that means:

@TheWalkingDead said:
BREAKING: #TheWalkingDead Season 10 will include SIX EXTRA EPISODES that will air early 2021. (October's Finale will still be the finale, the additional episodes will just be "extra")

And finally, there's official (and expected) confirmation of season 11 being delayed until sometime next year:

@TheWalkingDead said:
BREAKING: #TheWalkingDead Season 11 is officially delayed to 2021. #ComicConAtHome

This is the first time that a TWD season hasn't stuck to the traditional sixteen-episode count since season two, which was thirteen episodes long. It'll also be the first time in the show's run that it's missed the yearly season release, since season 11 isn't airing until next year now. I'm not really sure what to expect of the extra season 10 episodes, since they haven't been able to film anything for a while. Either it's going to use a lot of archival footage somehow, or it'll just be smaller, standalone episodes that have no bearing on the main stories from seasons 10 and 11. Or maybe they'll just be what the first handful of season 11 episodes were going to be, I dunno. (EDIT: nope) Regardless, it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I don't think that schedule for the 6 extended episodes will be stuck to. It'll be delayed again. My guess is they start production on it, cases pop up and they shut down again.

New information on S10's extra episodes
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's some new info on what the extra six episodes will be like:

crookedllama.com

The Walking Dead: Lauren Cohan & Angela Kang Spill Details on 6 Bonus Episodes! WATCH!

On Monday's Live with Kelly and Ryan, Lauren Cohan appeared to discuss the Season 10 Finale and the final season of The Walking Dead. The details she shared con

The six episodes will show us what was going on in Maggie's side of the world leading up to her returning to help her old group, providing backstory and context to her arrival. Cohan also made it clear that she was back for the long-haul, which means the nearly 30 episodes remaining on The Walking Dead. She also hinted to possibly being back in spinoffs.
Glad to hear that Maggie will be at the center of the episodes. It should be good to see what she was up to after leaving Hilltop, and assuming that she did end up going to

the Commonwealth, presumably led by Georgie,

I think it'll be a good introduction to the final story arc of the series.

Also, friendly reminder that the season "finale" airs on October 4th. Just a few more weeks until more TWD!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
A Maggie update miniseries is a pretty cool idea to go with her return in the finale. Nice way to get people to care about her character again.