• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
As D.C.'s streets empty and residents take on extra precautions amid the spread of the coronavirus, the crew of one ambulance decided to ratchet up the apocalyptic atmosphere.

The ambulance played the sirens from dystopian film The Purge while driving up 14th Street NW with its lights flashing last week, according to widely circulated video footage posted on social media. In the movie, the sirens signal a descent into lawlessness.

dcist.com

Ambulance In D.C. Played Sirens From Dystopian Film 'The Purge'

The involved crew members have resigned, says American Medical Response, the private company that operates the vehicle in question.

Yeah we don't need this.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck, that's right:

Monsters.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That is completely fucked. People really don't need that kind of anxiety right now...

but I also may have chuckled a bit.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The Purge would be a fun series to return to with all this free time.

Maybe I will.

Oct 27, 2017
Something like this happened in Argentina a few days ago. A police car started playing the message that opens the Purge, the one that tells people that emergency services won't answer for 12 hours and so on.

Absolutely mind-blowing.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
EQH_VXWXkAMLiQB.jpg

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is in poor taste and is definitely poor judgment but I'm personally inclined to cut healthcare professionals some slack right now. Especially after reading some commentary on /r/nursing.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Can ambulances just play whatever over a sound file? I always assumed they used traditional noise-makers.

With the quarantine, the foghorn from The Lighthouse feels more appropriate.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
...."The Purge" is not the first time an air horn has been used.

*facepalm*

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Someone literally blared the "the government has instigated the purge" radio announcement from the movie while driving down the street... Fucked thought he was funny, I called the cops and have them his plate numbers.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...."The Purge" is not the first time an air horn has been used.

*facepalm*

/facepalm
The Purge siren was created by sound designers.
The director told them he wanted something somewhat similar to the alien horn in the Spielberg version of War Of The Worlds.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Playing the radio announcement would be irresponsible. Playing the siren is a disruptive but largely harmless reference.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Have the people saying "it's just an air raid siren" actually listened to an air raid siren before? They sound like this:

The clip in the OP is very obviously playing the one from the purge movies.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd be way more creeped out if I heard "this is the emergency broadcast system..." speech.

The fucking Emergency Broadcast System long "chime" or "beep" or whatever you want to call it is the most terrifying sound ever. If it was at night, I was on my own and my TV started playing that noise unexpectedly, along with that very basic blank screen that gets used, I think I'd immediately start screaming.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Have the people saying "it's just an air raid siren" actually listened to an air raid siren before? They sound like this:

The clip in the OP is very obviously playing the one from the purge movies.

Wow, to me that sound means there's a fire somewhere in town, and I should go out and look for smoke in the vicinity just in case.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
/facepalm
The Purge siren was created by sound designers.
The director told them he wanted something somewhat similar to the alien horn in the Spielberg version of War Of The Worlds.

Ah I stand corrected. I don't watch bad movies so I wasn't aware of that.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone I know has frayed nerves - playing up something from a dystopian horror movie at this point in history is pretty shitty.
Everyone's not going to get the reference, and those who do would know it's from a work of fiction.

I get why it's not cool to blare a siren when people are on edge, but if anything, taking a noise from a dystopian horror movie means some portion of the people who hear it will know it's a prank.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
The fucking Emergency Broadcast System long "chime" or "beep" or whatever you want to call it is the most terrifying sound ever. If it was at night, I was on my own and my TV started playing that noise unexpectedly, along with that very basic blank screen that gets used, I think I'd immediately start screaming.

How about Chicago's tornado sirens

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the negativity here?

Assuming they were playing the actual sound effect from the film, then tension is cut when A) You know the political context that led to the Purge existing, and B) The idea of mass riots is quelled by the fact that we need to all stay inside or risk a shitty death.

Like, c'mon.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone literally blared the "the government has instigated the purge" radio announcement from the movie while driving down the street... Fucked thought he was funny, I called the cops and have them his plate numbers.
Don't fall the cops on stupid shit when they are under distress.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I would think it's funny. The small percentage of people who would actually recognize that reference would regard it as a joke...perhaps one in terrible taste. But it's harmless.

Bugface

May 14, 2019
This happened in Huntington Beach about three weeks back too. I was in the middle of an tourist trap empty German village when it came on. Very eerie!

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
Can ambulances just play whatever over a sound file? I always assumed they used traditional noise-makers.

With the quarantine, the foghorn from The Lighthouse feels more appropriate.

Not bad, but I think this is the most appropriate:

www.youtube.com

Tripod Sound from War of the Worlds 2005

This is roughly the sound of the "horn" that the tripods in Steven Spielberg's 2005 version of "War of the Worlds" have. NOTE: mp3 download link is finally a...