• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if you want extra chill that sounds like you're in a WW1 submarine listening to a gramophone, about to run out of oxygen, and you've accepted your fate and to the deepest realms known to man; check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

Personal fav. chill music of mine.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Every time I play the Röyksopp station on Pandora, it's a Tycho song that gets me to check my phone. I also enjoy some Thievery Corp.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Always looking for more of this typa music.

I've been listening to SMM: Context by Various artists lately, it's on Spotify. Nice album.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Couple releases that caught my attention recently:

Abul Mogard retired from factory work and now makes ambient in the slow moving synths + reverb vein:
http://www.secretdecoder.net/featur...oring-emotions-an-interview-with-abul-mogard/

This record is the one I've checked out, it's great:
https://abulmogard.bandcamp.com/album/works

A little outside but very relevant to this thread is this compilation: Outro Tempo: Electronic And Contemporary Music From Brazil 1978-1992. It's full of unusual, idiosyncratic, largely mellow music, and it's made me want to track down full lengths from several of the artists here:

https://music-from-memory.bandcamp....-and-contemporary-music-from-brazil-1978-1992

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use DI.fm ambient channel when I dont want to look around to find something.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Burial is all you need.

Hyperwind - OneFreeMan for the sick Half Life 2 references

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How could we go so long without mentioning Autechre? bladeloresis some trascendent shit. Or you could go with Goz Quarter if you want some badass hip-hop influenced stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we've had a thread for this yet?

Anyway, here's a place for all things ambient, minimalist, cyclical, experimental or otherwise. Welcome to everyone into texture, timbre, and (down)tempo. Let's be boring together!

Some suggested listening to get started:

Aphex Twin - Rhubarb

Brian Eno - The Big Ship

Boards of Canada - Music is Math

Bonobo - Cirrus

Tycho - Adrift

XXYYXX - DMT

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Portishead - Roads
Hell was wondering when this thread would show up trip hop<3

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Now we're talking! Love me some VFTL and Porter Ricks (well, anything and everything from Chain Reaction). Some more Dub Techno:

Glad to see Brian Eno, Tim Hecker, Burial, and The Caretaker getting mentions. Awesome thread :)

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
the new porter ricks LP on tresor is excellent btw for anyone who hasn't heard it yet :)

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
woo dub techno takeover

Basic Channel were so bloody good. Glad to see artists like DeepChord carrying the torch from where they left off.

Something more in line with what OP mentioned, and one of my favorite Ambient albums next to anything Brian Eno, Tim Hecker, Lustmord, etc., have put out:

Like any Tim Hecker record, it's one of the few Ambient albums I find you can actively listen to without relegating it to mere background music. An absolutely phenomenal album.

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
Basic Channel were so bloody good. Glad to see artists like DeepChord carrying the torch from where they left off.

Something more in line with what OP mentioned, and one of my favorite Ambient albums next to anything Brian Eno, Tim Hecker, Lustmord, etc., have put out:

Like any Tim Hecker record, it's one of the few Ambient albums I find you can actively listen to without relegating it to mere background music. An absolutely phenomenal album.

tim hecker's so nice! saw him and andy stott play here last year and it was smooooth

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
tim hecker's so nice! saw him and andy stott play here last year and it was smooooth

You have no idea the envy I feel whenever someone tells me that they've seen Hecker live. A friend of mine was lucky enough to see both Hecker and Godspeed You! Black Emperor live years ago. A religious experience, he called it. I can only imagine :)

P.S. Saw your post above regarding the new Porter Ricks album and agreed, it's one of my favorite releases this year. Their music has lost none of its physicality and punch; it's like they never left the scene. I cannot wait to see what those two fellas get up to next (here's hoping)

This is up there with Gridlock as one of my favorites.

Have never heard of Access To Arasaka but this is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Two more, then I'm out for the evening:

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
You have no idea the envy I feel whenever someone tells me that they've seen Hecker live. A friend of mine was lucky enough to see both Hecker and Godspeed You! Black Emperor live years ago. A religious experience, he called it. I can only imagine :)

P.S. Saw your post above regarding the new Porter Ricks album and agreed, it's one of my favorite releases this year. Their music has lost none of its physicality and punch; it's like they never left the scene. I cannot wait to see what those two fellas get up to next (here's hoping)

Have never heard of Access To Arasaka but this is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Two more, then I'm out for the evening:

hecker and godspeed would be a trip indeed! on the idm tip, i think my standout concert this year was squarepusher with band (think they went under the moniker shobaleader one) -- all 100% live jazz fusion-ey covers of his work, definitely suggest checking them out if you get a chance!

also great rhythm & sound and amon tracks, make me melt :)

Shal

Oct 27, 2017
I recently found out about Solarsoul, he creates "space ambient" music I think? I think it might fit this thread

The Starry Sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGRAzYP-NM

Could anyone show me more music like this specifically? I love the atmosphere and the instruments here, I will check the songs in this thread later I have to go right now :v

Nice thread btw

P.S. how do you embed youtube videos in here? I would like to know, I will google later I guess but if anyone could tell me would be nice thx xd

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you want extra chill that sounds like you're in a WW1 submarine listening to a gramophone, about to run out of oxygen, and you've accepted your fate and to the deepest realms known to man; check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

Personal fav. chill music of mine.
Hey, this is pretty, pretty good. I do wish some of the tracks flowed together a little better, but I like it. Think I'll pick this up and look into his other stuff.