• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is this in context of a judge refusing to throw out Amber Heard's 100 million dollar countersuit?

deadline.com

Johnny Depp Fails To Get Amber Heard’s $100M Countersuit Tossed, Doubles Down In Legal Battles On Both Sides Of Atlantic

A Virginia judge has refused Johnny Depp's desire to see Amber Heard’s big-bucks counterclaims lawsuit thrown out of court.

Yes but the judge ruled that petitions and social support on SM was not "paid bots" which was the biggest claim of her countersuit.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
Get the fuck out with this shit and stop making excuses for her, unbelievable.

is it not true that Johnny depp also has plenty of documented instances of being a piece of shit? I'm not defending amber heard. But just because she sucks doesn't make Depp a good guy.

edit: and if I'm misinformed that's on me. I don't follow celebrity drama very closely.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't want to watch anything that she's in, just because of her, even if I was otherwise interested in the movie or series. With Depp I haven't been interested in his movies since Willy Wonka or something else absurdly long ago and wouldn't have watched any his recent projects anyways.

However with Amber, she's actually getting cast in things I would want to watch. I've now skipped Aqua-Man and the CBS AllAccess mini series The Stand, just because I've found out Amber Heard is in those projects. I really wish WB would stop employing her.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's hard to believe that after everything that has come to life a judge wouldn't toss her counter suit.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The internet never fails.
ErKU5w3XcAApkSn

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the legal battle ultimately end in Heard's favor? I seem to remember that the judge even spoke highly of Heard's character when all was said-and-done.

IIRC, it seemed like a lot of folks started taking Depp's side as soon as his team put forth his rebuttal, before Heard had responded or the rest of the case played out.

Heard doing shitty things in retaliation doesn't make Depp less of an abuser.

One last thing, even if you feel like Heard is 100% in the wrong, there is no excuse for some of the blatant misogyny in here, looking at the guy who called her a cunt.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
is it not true that Johnny depp also has plenty of documented instances of being a piece of shit?

No. There was one fake incident where he was accused of beating up a set owner, and turns out the owner was lying. Everyone on set defended Depp.

The owner was berating a homeless black woman, and Depp intervened, the owner got pissed and threatened to add bad press to Johnny.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘City of Lies’ Script Supervisor Defends Johnny Depp in Lawsuit Over Alleged On-Set Attack

A 'City of Lies' script supervisor is coming to Johnny Depp's defense in a lawsuit that alleges the actor punched a location manager on the set of the film about Notorious B.I.G.'s murder.

All his past lovers and female coworkers have also stated under oath that he has always been nothing but gentle and caring.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
She is an abuser who is getting away with it.

Makes me not want to see the next aquaman movie

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is it not true that Johnny depp also has plenty of documented instances of being a piece of shit? I'm not defending amber heard. But just because she sucks doesn't make Depp a good guy.

edit: and if I'm misinformed that's on me. I don't follow celebrity drama very closely.

I don't follow celebrity drama as well but this particular case stuck out. Those allegations were made by Amber Heard. The Ex-Wives/Spouses/Girlfriends or whatever of Depp even came out and said that Depp never was abusive or anything like that.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the legal battle ultimately end in Heard's favor? I seem to remember that the judge even spoke highly of Heard's character when all was said-and-done.

IIRC, it seemed like a lot of folks started taking Depp's side as soon as his team put forth his rebuttal, before Heard had responded or the rest of the case played out.

One last thing, even if you feel like Heard is 100% in the wrong, there is no excuse for some of the blatant misogyny in here, looking at the guy who called her a cunt.

Depp won the domestic violence lawsuit because police and doctors sided with him, it can never be refiled because it was dismissed with prejudice.

What he recently lost is a defamation case in the UK. The judge belived Amber Heard over 20 other people's testimonies and also refused to wait for the charity donations receipts and claimed "she donated 7 million of her settlement money, therefore she can't be a gold digger".

That aged very well. Incompetence or corruption, pick.

And I think after the revelations that he donated millions on her behalf so she wouldn't have to, this brings the corruption issue to new lights :

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Let's deal with these replies

Get the fuck out with this shit and stop making excuses for her, unbelievable.
She severed his fucking finger.

I mean nothing I said 'made excuses for her'. The belief that abuse doesn't in turn justify abuse also applies to her yano. Nobody on this site is interested in making excuses for her (which is a good thing), but there are plenty of people willing to completely take Depp at face value - presumably because they are fans of his and so don't need an excuse to jump at his defense . The only people making excuses here are making excuses for him.

Likewise I'm not denying that she seems abusive - I mean I literally said that I think she's abusive

Ah yes, unless you only call out abuse from one person, you are in fact a both sides fence sitter. Good analogy.

Clearly somebody who hasn't actually been following this story as of late.

What like the fact that there was a court case that ruled that he likely committed abuse in 12 incidents on the balance of probabilities?

Depp has personal demons, but that doesn't make him an abuser. He was the victim of physical and mental abuse.

He can be both a victim and an abuser.

Comments like this are why male abuse victims don't speak up.

No comments like this are why male abuse victims (of any gender) don't speak up:

All his past lovers and female coworkers have also stated under oath that he has always been nothing but gentle and caring.
The Ex-Wives/Spouses/Girlfriends or whatever of Depp even came out and said that Depp never was abusive or anything like that.

This is just a classic defence of powerful people who get accused. 'But, but, but...they were so nice to me, they can't be abusive to anyone else surely'

Honestly there are some really weird MRA takes when it comes to Depp on this forum and a lot of it seems to be that as soon as there was evidence of Heard being abusive, people couldn't wait to immediately pronounce Depp innocent and get back to watching Edward Scissorhands or whatever without feeling any guilt + blatant misogyny.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing mysognystic about calling her a cunt and please get your facts straight before you enter the conversation.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a classic defence of powerful people who get accused. 'But, but, but...they were so nice to me, they can't be abusive to anyone else surely'

Honestly there are some really weird MRA takes when it comes to Depp on this forum and a lot of it seems to be that as soon as there was evidence of Heard being abusive, people couldn't wait to immediately pronounce Depp innocent and get back to watching Edward Scissorhands or whatever without feeling any guilt + blatant misogyny.

Ok but clearly you can read, so maybe you can do that more ?

This was in reply to "didn't I hear he was a piece of shit in a lot of instances" ?

Well the answer is no. His past employers trashed him while they were suing him, then instantly stopped after he won his case against them, and they were told by a judge to stop spreading lies, that's why you haven't heard from them.

His past lovers and coworkers defended him, and the only set incident reported turned out to be a lie.

That's it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She is an absolute trash person, I am not surprised by this outcome at all. I won't be supporting Aquaman 2 unless she's removed.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
He can be both a victim and an abuser.
Sure, that is possible. Only it was proven that the only person that actually alleged he abused anybody but himself was lying. For instance, per third party testimony because it was Musk, not Depp who had visited her on the night she claimed Depp had hit her. So there is no reason to assume he is an abuser.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Sure, that is possible. Only it was proven that the only person that actually alleged he abused anybody but himself was lying. For instance, because it was Musk, not Depp who had visited her on the night she claimed Depp had hit her. So there is no reason to assume he is an abuser.

It's not proven. On the balance of probabilities he was found to be guilty in 12 accusations. I'm sure plenty in this thread will (or already have) disagree with the judgement or cry corrupt or whatever, but by any definition it's not proven.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean nothing I said 'made excuses for her'. The belief that abuse doesn't in turn justify abuse also applies to her yano. Nobody on this site is interested in making excuses for her (which is a good thing), but there are plenty of people willing to completely take Depp at face value - presumably because they are fans of his and so don't need an excuse to jump at his defense . The only people making excuses here are making excuses for him.

What excuses? You're denying the truth and that's it. I don't even particularly like Johnny Depp or his movies but try to dismiss the points by accusing everyone a Depp fanboy. That's the way to go.

Likewise I'm not denying that she seems abusive - I mean I literally said that I think she's abusive

Yeah you do, through your language. "Seems", "I think", your language speaks for yourself. There is no seems or I think, she abused him. There is enough proof.

Ah yes, unless you only call out abuse from one person, you are in fact a both sides fence sitter. Good analogy.

You aren't even a both side fence sitter, it is crystal clear where you stand.

Ah, and now we're MRA because we support a man, who was clearly abused in this case. Nah, I'm done with you.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's not proven. On the balance of probabilities he was found to be guilty in 12 accusations. I'm sure plenty in this thread will (or already have) disagree with the judgement or cry corrupt or whatever, but by any definition it's not proven.
The judgement in The Sun case was not about his guilt. It was about if The Sun could make the allegation.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
The judgement in The Sun case was not about his guilt. It was about if The Sun could make the allegation.
The defence that the Sun made was that the allegations were 'true' (not that they were like fair comment or something like that) and the judge found that, on the balance of probability, they were true in 12 cases.

As a side note, how many other repeated accusations of abuse, especially ones in which a judge literally rules are likely true, would Era hand wave away like this?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
As a side note, how many other repeated accusations of abuse, especially ones in which a judge literally rules are likely true, would Era hand wave away like this?
All the ones where there is audio evidence of the alleged victim gaslighting the alleged abuser about the alleged abuse.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The defence that the Sun made was that the allegations were 'true' (not that they were like fair comment or something like that) and the judge found that, on the balance of probability, they were true in 12 cases.

Maybe because there was an actual domestic violence lawsuit in the US 4 years ago and her case was so bad it was dismissed with prejudice.

So it gives the UK ruling 0 credibility especially when, I quote the judge "She has donated all of her divorce settlement money to charity, hardly the act of a gold digger".

Which you know how that turned out ...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmm if she testified in the UK libel trial that she donated that money to charity when in fact she didn't - and the judge's comments about it proving she's not a gold digger show it was part of her evidence - that's perjury.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Ah, and now we're MRA because we support a man, who was clearly abused in this case. Nah, I'm done with you.

It's MRA to immediately believe that a man is innocent of any accusation of abuse, purely because there is evidence of they themselves being abused (and especially to say stuff like 'this is why male abusers don't come forward' in response to accusations of their own abuse). There were plenty of people who needed little-to-no reason to drop the facade of taking accusations of abuse seriously when it came to someone who they were clearly inclined to believe was innocent no matter what. And now anyone who points this out gets dogpiled on Era by Depp's bloody volunteer PR army and accused of making excuses for domestic abuse perpetrated by a woman, which isn't MRA behaviour at all...

Oct 27, 2017
Not donating the money when you're saying you will donate all of it is really shitty. I want to wash my hands of both of them, because they both seem like toxic people who together brought each other down. Idk who initiated the verbal, emotional and physical abuse but it's clear neither of them are innocent. The sooner they do the better they will be for themselves and to their loved ones.

I can only hope they both get the help that they need.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Maybe because there was an actual domestic violence lawsuit in the US 4 years ago and her case was so bad it was dismissed with prejudice.

I just looked this up to check and I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is her dismissing her own divorce lawsuit (which included accusations of domestic abuse) with prejudice (most lawsuits get dismissed with prejudice btw), because she settled out of court with Depp, which is just not the same thing at all...

Seems a pretty bad faith way of undermining a court judgment, by making up other court judgements that didn't happen.

OP
OP
Slaythe

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked this up to check and I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is her dismissing her own divorce lawsuit (which included accusations of domestic abuse) with prejudice (most lawsuits get dismissed with prejudice btw), because she settled out of court with Depp, which is just not the same thing at all...

Seems a pretty bad faith way of undermining a court judgment, by making up other court judgements that didn't happen.

She threatened Johnny (on tape) about how her case was so strong she would win in a landslide. After the police did not corroborate any of her claims and interviewed both of them, she reached an agreement with Depp and dropped all charges + dismissed her own suit with prejudice.

Is the police lying too or .. ?

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
She threatened Johnny (on tape) about how her case was so strong she would win in a landslide. After the police did not corroborate any of her claims and interviewed both of them, she reached an agreement with Depp and dropped all charges + dismissed her own suit with prejudice.

Is the police lying too or .. ?
I mean the police don't follow up on domestic abuse cases all the time... why are you putting faith in them lol.

Also the police almost certainly have no bearing on her deciding to settle, any lawyer will tell you settling is standard practise, because people obviously would rather avoid the expenses of court if they have to.

Anyway this is besides the point; you claimed (as a reason to ignore the recent court judgment that found that he likely was abusive) that her case was so flimsy that the courts dismissed it with prejudice, which was pretty disingenuous.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Deflecting to defend a piece of shit human being. Oh this is not going to go well for you.

SU52XlC.gif
Point out one example of me defending Amber Heard? You can't cos I'm not. All I'm saying is that her being abusive doesn't automatically make him innocent or dismiss the accusations against him - if you would like to disagree with that obviously reasonable sentiment go ahead.

Edit: The funny thing is what you accuse me of is what people do with Depp. People use her abuse to deflect from any accusations of his abuse and then dog pile anyone who mention that he's likely no saint either. It's also ironic that you use an MJ gif, because the behaviour of some people on here re: Depp is like all the MJ defenders who name search him on twitter and pile onto anyone accusing him of being a nonce (or rather point out the accusations).

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Point out one example of me defending Amber Heard? You can't cos I'm not. All I'm saying is that her being abusive doesn't automatically make him innocent or dismiss the accusations against him - if you would like to disagree with that obviously reasonable sentiment go ahead.

It's whataboutism. Read the room.

I'm sure Amber's full set of fingers are helpful when she types up all that bullshit about her ex. Or do you actually have smoke for the fire you're trying to start here?