• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
My driver's license says Organ Donor and not Organ Pledger, but it's not like I can go around saying I've "donated" an organ when I haven't yet done so. That's clear bad faith bullshit coming from Amber here.
The difference would be that you didn't go on TV and tell people you donated your organs lol

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
She pledged to donate it over a period of ten years and so far she has donated half. This shouldn't be newsworthy.
She lied under oath. Several times, even today.

It's more than newsworthy.

But according to you, it's Johnny's fault his career tanked, not her fault at all for continously lying about him, whilst abusing him herself.

From the other thread:

Heard definitely hasn't faced enough (edit: or any) consequences for her actions, but Depp managed to fuck up his career entirely on his own and doesn't deserve any sympathy.

I'm tired of your passive agressive jabs. You support Amber, right? Although she's lying through her teeth.

I urge people to watch the trial before forming an opinion.

Anyone that's been watching the trial would come to the same conclusion. Yet you keep supporting Heard... Why?

You should honestly be ashamed.

Anyone still supporting her should be ashamed.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the ramifications for Heard should she lose this case? Hefty monetary fine? Jail time?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really think there's any veracity to the the idea that it is Depp stans that are jumping to his defence.

I hate his acting, I think most of the time he's borderline unwatchable, he overacts in the wrong places, underacts in the wrong places, is generally in bad movies, and not at all entertaining or talented.

The facts of the case still lead me to believe that he is the victim.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, she pledged! It's better than cash… that's an IOU

dumb-and-dumber-iou.gif

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Trump did the same, and he falsely claimed he had donated to veterans charities.

Lol. There were also accounts of him gate crashing charity events, sitting himself at the VIP/front role seats and acting as though he donated a lot of money when he didn't even get invited nor donated any money.

I wonder why her lawyers did not prep her to answer these questions about her donations properly. They must have expected this to be asked.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I looked and Maple-Tech meant that they left gaf when it all went down, not that they still post there.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe getting everything out in the open is worth it to him.
If his team didn't push for the trial to get televised...it's almost frightening how easily the truth would have been obscured if I were to only go off of most media outlets' coverage. The difference between what's presented in the trial and how it has been interpreted/contextualized is dizzying.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
You don't get to brag about donating money and then not donate it a week after you've gotten it. A month at the very fucking most.

Nobody cares about your taxes or your pledges, lady! You said you'd give the money, you give it instantly, or as reasonably close to instantly as possible.

She has not done that. Not remotely. Thus she is a liar and has zero credibility with me. That's what happens when you lie to people to make yourself look good.

Depp didn't force her to keep that money, did he? She played herself by trying to play the public with her lie. You know who else lies about donating to charity? Trump.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
edit: i didn't mean to quote the first tweet in this twitter thread, the forum software did that automatically. if you'd like to add to my notifications still with this in mind, i won't stop you, but know that i didn't mean to engage in any sort of "this abuse > that abuse"-ism.

original post:

more relevant in this thread than ever:

When someone posts something with the preface "more relevant than ever" I expect either compelling evidence, or some kind of compelling reasoning/observation that is being lost by the larger public.

Instead, it's a tweet of some person I'm not familiar with just declaring that there's definitely more evidence of Depp's guilt.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm just trying to see any logic as to why someone would lie about this. Would someone get a better tax credit If they spaced out their donations across multiple years? I know absolutely nothing about that kind of stuff again just trying to see any form of reasoning behind it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This is thinly-veiled sexism, not to mention veil-off prejudice against people with a mental disorder

(I have no stake/interest in this trial)

How is this sexism?

She was diagnosed or showed signs I forget which by a Dr. Curry with borderline personality disorder. But then again if you were interested in the trial you'd know that.

Probably shouldn't generalize BPD though sure.

But jumping in with such a broad generalization? How exactly did you come up with this conclusion? Walk us through it.

Oct 27, 2017
This is thinly-veiled sexism, not to mention veil-off prejudice against people with a mental disorder

(I have no stake/interest in this trial)
Professional diagnoses rendered by a clinician who was court ordered to evaluate Amber Heard and gave testimony. There's nothing prejudicial about stating the fact that someone's behavior can be related to their diagnostic symptoms.

We shouldn't have to put a disclaimer every time someone makes a connection or observation that of course that doesn't apply to any and every person who may have that diagnosis.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just trying to see any logic as to why someone would lie about this. Would someone get a better tax credit If they spaced out their donations across multiple years? I know absolutely nothing about that kind of stuff again just trying to see any form of reasoning behind it.
Eh in this case, it's because heard used it as support that she didn't lie in the Sun case. In reality, it's looking likely it's all part of a continued pattern of abuse going by the cross examination: physical abuse with cutting off his finger and hitting him, gaslighting to mentally abuse him, staged photos to make appear more of an addict than he was and the allegations destroying his image socially isolating him.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Professional diagnoses rendered by a clinician who was court ordered to evaluate Amber Heard and gave testimony. There's nothing prejudicial about stating the fact that someone's behavior can be related to their diagnostic symptoms.

We shouldn't have to put a disclaimer every time someone makes a connection or observation that of course that doesn't apply to any and every person who may have that diagnosis.
Prejudice against people with BPD is a real problem. It impedes their ability to get treatment and it contributes to the morbidity of a mental illness that already seriously implicates the lives of those that have it. You absolutely should not attribute someone's actions to their mental disorder and then go on to generalize the people with that mental disorder, especially if the goal in doing so is to facilitate a one-off comment generalizing people with BPD

The relationship between BPD and misogyny is difficult to summarize, but much has been written about the fact that BPD is diagnosed far more often in women than men and of the connection between that and negative traits stereotypically associated with women.

I'll give you that it is somewhat relevant context that someone somewhere in a court said her behavior was consistent with BPD, but the plausibility of that claim is itself inseparable from stereotypes about what kind of person has BPD. That isn't to say it would be sexist to assert that she has BPD (although this is something you just shouldn't do as a matter of course unless you are that person's doctor) but rather that it is a sexist trope to generalize the behavior of women with BPD, especially when the diagnosis comes from a dubious source.

Oct 27, 2017
Prejudice against people with BPD is a real problem. It impedes their ability to get treatment and it contributes to the morbidity of a mental illness that already seriously implicates the lives of those that have it. You absolutely should not attribute someone's actions to their mental disorder and then go on to generalize the people with that mental disorder, especially if the goal in doing so is to facilitate a one-off comment generalizing people with BPD
No idea how you think I'm generalizing it.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The relationship between BPD and misogyny is difficult to summarize, but much has been written about the fact that BPD is diagnosed far more often in women than men and of the connection between that and negative traits stereotypically associated with women.

I'll give you that it is somewhat relevant context that someone somewhere in a court said her behavior was consistent with BPD, but the plausibility of that claim is itself inseparable from stereotypes about what kind of person has BPD. That isn't to say it would be sexist to assert that she has BPD (although this is something you just shouldn't do as a matter of course unless you are that person's doctor) but rather that it is a sexist trope to generalize the behavior of women with BPD, especially when the diagnosis comes from a dubious source.
I honestly am not even close to knowing enough about BPD to know the issues that people with it faces each day, but i do have to interject and ask : How is a court ordered clinician a dubious source?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Eh Dr Curry is anything but a dubious source.
I honestly am not even close to knowing enough about BPD to know the issues that people with it faces each day, but i do have to interject and ask : How is a court ordered clinician a dubious source?
Anyone but the person themselves and their doctor/partner/whatever disclosing their diagnosis by consent is, presumptively, a dubious source

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think we can talk about Amber Heard's behavior without generalizations like "she is fucked up in the head".

There are loads of people on this site with diagnosis that are similar to Amber Heard and the notion that being "fucked up in the head" makes you a bad person is stigmatizing as hell to some of us.

Its enough to say Amber Heard is a liar or abuser without leaning into tropes that folks with mental illness have been pushing back on for years. Mental Illness does not cause you to act poorly.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone but the person themselves and their doctor/partner/whatever disclosing their diagnosis by consent is, presumptively, a dubious source
Considering i've had family that lied through their teeth saying their court ordered therapist were liars and we should not trust them, i'm not sure i really jive with the idea that a unrelated third party doing their job are inherently more dubious and we should not be able to trust their words.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Considering i've had family that lied through their teeth saying their court ordered therapist were liars and we should not trust them, i'm not sure i really jive with the idea that a unrelated third party doing their job are inherently more dubious and we should not be able to trust their words.
A diagnosis elicited on the stand from an adversarial witness in an adversarial court process is about as dubious a source as I can imagine, and I say this as a person who spends more than their fair share of time in court

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I actually have lots of opinions about paid expert witnesses. Its not to say the diagnosis is not accurate, but Depp's team paid for her to appear. I'm sure Heard's team produced a similarly qualified expert to say the exact opposite about him.

There are many things about our justice system that are not great and I genuinely hate that both sides produce paid witnesses to basically match their version of events.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have lots of opinions about paid expert witnesses. Its not to say the diagnosis is not accurate, but Depp's team paid for her to appear. I'm sure Heard's team produced a similarly qualified expert to say the exact opposite about him.
From a quick googling about the future witnesses, it does not seems so.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
From a quick googling about the future witnesses, it does not seems so.

Looks like they already produced one: Dawn Hughes

I mean, as the trial has gone on I've come around to believe that Heard was the abuser in the situation, but there is still shit that goes on in these trials that I am generally not a fan of.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they already produced one: Dawn Hughes

I mean, as the trial has gone on I've come around to believe that Heard was the abuser in the situation, but there is still shit that goes on in these trials that I am generally not a fan of.
Dawn Hughes and Shannon Curry showcased drastically different levels of professionalism. If you heard Dawn Hughes testify the victim is always female and the perpetrator always male.