• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Theres your problem. Calm acceptance. Its the same everywhere really."Ofcoarse the police are gonna harrass us but what you gonna do", "Ofcoarse were treated like shit but what you gonna do".

Eventually our expectations become our worst enemies. Why arent we treated like equals? Why can they kill us with impunity?Why do they get such a low sentence for murder while someone with weed gets 25 years?"

Dont just lie down and take it, get angry!! I wonder to myself, that could have been my cousin who had been senselessly killed there, and because he's an immigrant , there probably would be no justice.

I agree with you - I guess I'm just happy we're actually locking away a murderous cop for once. I was so convinced she'd get away with it, although I realize that to many (most) black people, this sentence is essentially getting away with it, so I guess that's where my perspective is askew.

After watching the video: what the fuckity fuck is that judge doing giving a fucking convicted murderer a hug in court? Holy fucking shit that really pisses me the fuck off.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I brought this up before, do you think the fact that the jury was primarily women made them more sympathetic to Guyger in the sentencing phase for that reason?
I don't know that I'd want to go that far, but it's so hard to say. The judges they were talking to were emphasizing the point that, after all their years of experience, they've given up on trying to predict what the jury will decide or what their overall thoughts will end up being.

But given the really quick turnaround for the consensus, they had definitely already made up their minds earlier on.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't find anything "bigger" about letting someone off easy for murdering a member of your own family.
I know I couldn't do it but it depends on the person. Does it mean he was "right" for forgiving her? That's up for debate. I know one thing, I couldn't do it. No lie, I'd have to be held back or else I'd be the one locked up or hell knowing the US I'd be dead.
If he got up on that stand and said "Amber, I forgive you," and left it that that, I'm sure most people would have said "He's a better man than me" and kept it moving.

He didn't just do that. He told her he loved her and literally consoled her with a hug, as if she was the one being victimized. That's not just forgiveness. That's acquiescing to racial injustice and abuse.

It's what people of color are asked to do at any event of prejudice, from microaggressions to murders. The brother can feel however he wants, but you can't possibly expect people, especially PoC, to see those hugs and not find them upsetting.
I'm seeing a lot of people divided on it. Most people on my timeline that are black can't believe it but I'm seeing a lot of others say "wow he's stronger than I am to let that go." Either way I haven't seen 1 person say that the time she got was acceptable, everybody's saying she deserves more.

I don't know that man but he's got a different mindset to act that way towards her. He's really one of those "forgive everything and move on" types. Idk what it took him to reach that point but he seems to be the type to just let everything go from the small to the big as we've see. I just don't get people like that but then again maybe I'm not supposed to given I'll never be like that. I can't fathom it.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The brother can do whatever he wants, he can process this however he needs to.

Given the precedents set by the cj system in America, this is a fucking farce. Banana Republic shit, again.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Black brother hugged her. Black judge hugged her. Apparently 5 black jurors but sentencing deliberations only took 90mins. Fuck's going on in texas?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Black brother hugged her. Black judge hugged her. Apparently 5 black jurors but sentencing deliberations only took 90mins. Fuck's going on in texas?

I would tend to speculate that during their internal discussions as a jury they only reached a murder verdict by also agreeing to give her a lesser sentence in the process.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
People deal with grief in different ways. But I don't subscribe to that "Forgiveness makes you the bigger person" crap at all

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you - I guess I'm just happy we're actually locking away a murderous cop for once. I was so convinced she'd get away with it, although I realize that to many (most) black people, this sentence is essentially getting away with it, so I guess that's where my perspective is askew.

After watching the video: what the fuckity fuck is that judge doing giving a fucking convicted murderer a hug in court? Holy fucking shit that really pisses me the fuck off.

On some level I also agree, this was a win but its not enough. Not until equality means something.

Also cant wait for the video of the brother and the judge to be rolled out any time black people get uppity and do something extreme like protest people killing them."Why so angry, just forgive them like the good little christians you are. Im so glad we forced you guys into Christianity"

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His door was unlocked.

But still, it only takes a second to notice if it's your apartment or not.

She was trigger happy and deserves punishment for what she did.
Exactly. She did this on purpose. You don't walk into an apartment and then not realize within like 30 seconds that its not your apartment. The furniture would be different. The layout would be different. Fuck anyone defending her.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I would tend to speculate that during their internal discussions as a jury they only reached a murder verdict by also agreeing to give her a lesser sentence in the process.
That's what I'm thinking. "Hey we gave you guys the last one, but I'm not agreeing to anything over 10 years."

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all these religious fucks going all "How wonderful!" has me gagging.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Exactly. She did this on purpose. You don't walk into an apartment and then not realize within like 30 seconds that its not your apartment. The furniture would be different. The layout would be different. Fuck anyone defending her.
The SMELL would be different. That's what gets me. Human olfactory senses are strong enough that I could be blindfolded, one whiff and I would know I wasn't in my home.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You would want to be forgiving about a situation like this on the face of it. I really feel for the family, because the same values that go into raising a good person would make you want to rescue someone from guilt and suffering, so I understand wanting to communicate forgiveness.

But the murderer should wallow in unresolved guilt, because her conscience clearly hasn't made this hell enough for her. That the gravity of such a 'mistake' didn't shatter her instinct for self-preservation and a prolonged legal defence makes me think she doesn't have the qualifications for forgiveness.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also cant wait for the video of the brother and the judge to be rolled out any time black people get uppity and do something extreme like protest people killing them.
Yep. This is the issue. Anytime some injustice is perpetrated against black people, this video that so many (white) people found "powerful" will be pointed to, and they'll be asked, "Why can't you be more like this guy?"

Paragon of forgiveness. An exemplary black man to show the rest of us how we're meant to behave, and know our place.

Edit: And I don't want to mean that I dislike the brother himself for what he did. He had to deal with a whole fucking lot with this case, and is in more hurt than I hope to ever be in. I'm more upset at how his action will be taken by everyone else.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
On some level I also agree, this was a win but its not enough. Not until equality means something.

Also cant wait for the video of the brother and the judge to be rolled out any time black people get uppity and do something extreme like protest people killing them."Why so angry, just forgive them like the good little christians you are. Im so glad we forced you guys into Christianity"
Its going to be used again an again.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm typically not one to defend long prison sentences for anyone but this seems egregiously short. Does it even have a without parole provision? She'll be out in like 4 years with good behavior and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if some podunk PD gave her a job.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am guessing the hugging was more of a religious forgive thy neighbor/sinner or whatever type a thing. Back on topic I really thought she would just get a slap on the wrist and let go.

Hopefully this never happens again and there are stricter rules in place before firing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile the ones who spread the religion are out there voting Trump
Claiming they are pro life, yet are happy when a father with his daughter fail to make it to America, along with other horrible things. As long as they get to have control of a woman's body they don't care what happens after.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I find the Judge hugging her so inappropriate.
Apparently the judge was telling or hinting at the jurors to be easy on the killer. That plus the hugging, and seeing that "Dallas Police association PAC proud endorsement" thing is just all kinds of weird. I'd say I wonder if she sleeps well at night, but I'm sure she doesn't care about this type of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The white supremacist criminal justice system, and its enforcers are not to fucking be forgiven, and we can't fucking love our way out of being made victims of it. This take is fucking trash.
this.

I am very disappointed and I'm so tired black folk apologizing (by force or ignorance) for a system, culture, and social structure that degraded and devalues us. I know the family isn't American, but damn it man. STOP APOLOGIZING FOR THESE HATEFUL RACISTS AMONG IS. She is the fruit of that system and her social media and text messages made it clear exactly who she was and how she feels about us. 5 years for murder 1? That's a manslaughter sentence for a murder 1 conviction. She can get hugs after a decade behind bars. Imagine a black officer getting off like this had the story been reversed. Imagine a regular citizen getting off like this.

I'm curious to see how often this has happened in Texas history and I really want to hear the jury's perspective. 10 years is insulting to the value of the life she took.

Judge was also hella inappropriate with the hug and bible.

el oh el

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 1, 2019
The compassion and forgiveness showed by the brother was unreal. I don't know if I could do the same if I was in his shoes, but If forgiving her gives him a peace of mind and helps him heal then so be it.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the judge was telling or hinting at the jurors to be easy on the killer. That plus the hugging, and seeing that "Dallas Police association PAC proud endorsement" thing is just all kinds of weird. I'd say I wonder if she sleeps well at night, but I'm sure she doesn't care about this type of stuff.
Questionable actions indeed.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yep. This is the issue. Anytime some injustice is perpetrated against black people, this video that so many (white) people found "powerful" will be pointed to, and they'll be asked, "Why can't you be more like this guy?"

Paragon of forgiveness. An exemplary black man to show the rest of us how we're meant to behave, and know our place.

Edit: And I don't want to mean that I dislike the brother himself for what he did. He had to deal with a whole fucking lot with this case, and is in more hurt than I hope to ever be in. I'm more upset at how his action will be taken by everyone else.
To quote the great socio-philosopher Leonardo DiCaprio, they with will be examples of the... "Exceptional Negro".

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile woman who voted when she wasnt supposed to got 5 years.

Fucking joke system. Shit works only for one thing which is to oppress minorities.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Our local news station posted the story to Facebook and of course the comments are bitching about them mentioning that the guy she killed was black.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No just victims of brainwashing.

I can't believe we are blaming religion for family attempting to reach closure by acting forgiving and not being angry enough for the crowd outside. I mean isnt that the hardest thing ? To forgive the one who deserves it least at that moment ? That's peak humanity

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the least bit surprised she got off with such a light sentence. We're lucky she was even convicted.