• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That jury. the judge, the brother.

Now i get this one post from the fake bullying thread.

It be your own people.

10 years for murder is crazy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok, eligible for parole after half the sentence is served. i stand corrected. sentence should have been longer though. who knows what was the jury was thinking.

my only guess is why they wanted the felony charge to prevent her from ever becoming a cop or owning a gun, but wanted the lesser sentence a manslaughter charge would have carried.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Inappropriate commentary
They forgot to turn off the court cameras and now the judge and jury are giving her oral sex

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the mom sounds like she's not just simply about forgiving. That was a great speech.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Fucking ridiculous. Gives white folks exactly what they want. I'm deeply sorry for him but what I'm the fuck???
It's amazing how people can be so vindictive. He lost his brother and still forgave him. It's absurd to you but that's exactly what the world needs. Like the saying goes, holding in hate is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. You show someone like that love not hate. Leave punishment to the justice system. Which in of itself is a justifiable reason to be upset.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
not gonna lie, a small part of me thought he was using the hug opening to punch the shit out of her, i wouldnt even have been mad.

Minorities are waaaaaaaayy too forgiving and you can thank our forced Christianity on that. That's the conditioning. Several levels of white supremacy at play throughout these events unfortunately.

That "let God judge" mentality needed to go centuries ago.

yep, this programming has been set in for a long time now. i would to say im surprised but i cant anymore.

its one thing to talk about redemption and forgiveness after time has been served/actual proof the person has changed and looking to be redeemed. folks dont even understand that doing shit like this right after getting an easy sentence for killing your brother just gives the green light for other violations because they can easily get off with it.

smh, another day in the US

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda having an exploded mind moment with this. Ten years is fine with you? What? If a cop came into my house and just shot me dead for no reason, I want them staring at the same wall until the end of time.

It's not ideal or what I would want or would have voted for if I was on that jury.

Given where this all started and the state of police hero worship in this country this feels like pretty damn close to a best case scenario.

She was found guilty of murder. She's going to jail for ten years, and the jury opted to double the minimum sentence. Maybe my standards are too low but this feels like something of a win compared to what I thought would happen when this all started.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I would never forgive her but if the brother did then he's entitled to. I don't know what he's feeling and I can't tell that man that he's not allowed to feel that way.

He's a bigger man than me. I wouldn't handle it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"The world needs less hate."

I agree, less white supremacy would be swell.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, since basically everyone talking around this case was expecting around 20 years. Including other judges. I wonder what Judge Tammy Kemp would have sentenced.

Really would like to know what the hell the jury was on.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I would never forgive her but if the brother did then he's entitled to. I don't know what he's feeling and I can't tell that man that he's not allowed to feel that way.

Personally, I don't find anything "bigger" about letting someone off easy for murdering a member of your own family.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how people can be so vindictive. He lost his brother and still forgave him. It's absurd to you but that's exactly what the world needs. Like the saying goes, holding in hate is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. You show someone like that love not hate. Leave punishment to the justice system. Which in of itself is a justifiable reason to be upset.

The white supremacist criminal justice system, and its enforcers are not to fucking be forgiven, and we can't fucking love our way out of being made victims of it. This take is fucking trash.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She was found guilty of murder. She's going to jail for ten years, and the jury opted to double the minimum sentence. Maybe my standards are too low but this feels like something of a win compared to what I thought would happen when this all started.
Theres your problem. Calm acceptance. Its the same everywhere really."Ofcoarse the police are gonna harrass us but what you gonna do", "Ofcoarse were treated like shit but what you gonna do".

Eventually our expectations become our worst enemies. Why arent we treated like equals? Why can they kill us with impunity?Why do they get such a low sentence for murder while someone with weed gets 25 years?"

Dont just lie down and take it, get angry!! I wonder to myself, that could have been my cousin who had been senselessly killed there, and because he's an immigrant , there probably would be no justice.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
10 years for murder... Being white is a cheat code in America. I hope I don't get banned for saying that but it is the truth. Black people have gotten far worse for having weed or stealing. The system is a joke.

Oct 28, 2017
And the other shoe drops. What a fucking joke of a sentence. And here I thought justice is finally being served but nope, not in America.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We got to give out less hate with boots continue to be on our necks
People can't be bothered to tell their racist family members to shut the hell up because it'll ruin the holidays but we constantly have to forgive murders and terrorist attacks that are racist in origin.

Using this case to finger wag at black people is a fucking joke.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the bloody history of the justice system and its enforcers when it comes to black people you can keep that pathetic 'love not hate' shit to yourself. Love doesn't stop a fucking bullet, dude.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
not gonna lie, a small part of me thought he was using the hug opening to punch the shit out of her, i wouldnt even have been mad.

yep, this programming has been set in for a long time now. i would to say im surprised but i cant anymore.

its one thing to talk about redemption and forgiveness after time has been served/actual proof the person has changed and looking to be redeemed. folks dont even understand that doing shit like this right after getting an easy sentence for killing your brother just gives the green light for other violations because they can easily get off with it.

smh, another day in the US

All of this. While it certainly was a profound gesture, it's actually disgusting in context considering what happened to his brother. Some actions are irredeemable, and what she did is one of them. Can't really hold people accountable if you pumping religious nonsense into their brains about forgiveness for them to feel better about a fucking murder. The sad part is that in that same jurisdiction, I bet there are people rotting in jail for x2 to x3 the jail time for non violent drug offenses.

Also, it was REALLY hard to watch the clip of the judge pacify Amber Guyger right after handing down a slap on the wrist sentence. To me, it was a clip of watching a black person in authority affirming white supremacy using a tried and true tool (Christianity). Super frustrated at seeing this kind of stuff in our community in 2019.

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stand at the fringes of society outside the comforts of western civilization and watch how "forgive and forget" is turned into a leash to encourage people to stay silent.Forgive them,turn the other cheek, dont get angry , anger helps noone, dont question them, god will provide, god will punish them.Same story, different places and yet its that anger which drives people to seek change.

I respect what he did, it took courage and its something to aspire to but what he did he did for himself and his brother is another name on a list of people who shouldnt have died.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's against the concepts of forgiveness or kindness, of course the "world could use more of that" or whatever meaningless platitude you want to trot out. It's the way those values are twisted and used against poc to keep them from fighting back. Civil rights weren't born out of love and one side just coming to terms and then spreading "kindness" - it was from the literal blood of brown people fighting to demolish part of a racist system.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I thought I posted cringe

Oct 27, 2017
People can't be bothered to tell their racist family members to shut the hell up because it'll ruin the holidays but we constantly have to forgive murders and terrorist attacks that are racist in origin.

Using this case to finger wag at black people is a fucking joke.
Not only that, they refuse to call their friends out and distance themselves from uncomfortable realities and conversations because of their privilege.

And then they continue to have the nerve to refer to themselves as allies. Just lol.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

If he got up on that stand and said "Amber, I forgive you," and left it that that, I'm sure most people would have said "He's a better man than me" and kept it moving.

He didn't just do that. He told her he loved her and literally consoled her with a hug, as if she was the one being victimized. That's not just forgiveness. That's acquiescing to racial injustice and abuse.

It's what people of color are asked to do at any event of prejudice, from microaggressions to murders. The brother can feel however he wants, but you can't possibly expect people, especially PoC, to see those hugs and not find them upsetting.

Oct 27, 2017
10 years for murder... Being white is a cheat code in America. I hope I don't get banned for saying that but it is the truth. Black people have gotten far worse for having weed or stealing. The system is a joke.
Why would you get banned for stating the truth? It's one anybody who is being honest with themselves would readily agree with.