• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I get that they don't want big names, and I think that's probably a wise decision all in all, but damn if I would love to see Jude Law as Sauron.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I get that they don't want big names, and I think that's probably a wise decision all in all, but damn if I would love to see Jude Law as Sauron.
2f47cd0a9c24336767294ab538b7b8a6.jpg

I must admit, the last time I read the Akallabeth, this image did come to mind.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's another great pick though I agree they'll likely focus on unknowns. Whoever lands the role, I feel like they should have a look that can somehow sell the idea of someone who's definition of beauty pre-dates even then Elves, who are themselves sort of described as a strange, ethereal type of beauty. In the case of Murphy I think it's the high cheekbones but yeah, someone who can sell this idea of being supernaturally fair in a way that also feels ancient, maybe even slightly alien, that's just a little 'off'. It's a hard quality to describe but I hope they find someone who just oozes charm and a sort of otherworldly power.

You are describing Benedict Cumberbatch who incidentally already voiced Sauron. He would play a perfect protagonist who is actually the villain. Although it would basically be typecasting at this point.

I never got the appeal of Cillian. I really don't like his eyes.

Andrew Scott can play both charming and wicked, but he looks far too common for a regal character like Annatar.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
It could be that we already have our Sauron.

https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2FBenjen-Stark-850x560.jpeg

When Joseph Mawle was cast, he was rumoured to be playing a villain.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Never really thought about it before, but that GIF is making me think Cillian Murphy would be a great fit for a Númenórean character. He's got that dark hair/grey eyes combo down pat.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
bleedingcool.com

Courtney (Simmons) Brown Quits DC for Amazon and Lord Of The Rings

Last month, Bleeding Cool broke the news that Courtney Simmons, Senior VP, DC Publicity & Communications at Warner Bros. Entertainment was leaving DC

"And, secondly, that she is now the new Head of The Lord of the Rings Franchise Publicity at Amazon Studios."

Amazon are really going to milk the licence they have it seems.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
When was Legolas born? Isn't he pretty young by elf standards in LOTR?
Tolkien never specifically stated his age, but people have postulated that he was born in the Third Age, rather than been a Second Age Elf, and certainly not an Elda of the First Age. His grandfather Oropher may well show up in the show if the War of the Last Alliance features.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I can't imagine they gonna dump entire season just like that if they want any kind of long term buzz...

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Apr 25, 2020
Nothing confirmed as of yet, but considering what Amazon are doing with Season 2 of The Boys, weekly seems the most likely.

I can see it, but I'm not entirely sure the Akallabêth will feature in this show. That might be served as a spin-off mini-series down the line.

I'm sure it will be made eventually. Akallabêth is just too perfect a climax for the end of a season. Ar-Pharazôn lands on Valinor in the 2nd last episode, the flight of Men to Middle Earth, the destruction of Numenor and the earth made round in the final.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will be made eventually. Akallabêth is just too perfect a climax for the end of a season. Ar-Pharazôn lands on Valinor in the 2nd last episode, the flight of Men to Middle Earth, the destruction of Numenor and the earth made round in the final.
That would be a sight to behold.

I forgot but did Tolkien estate actually sell Amazon rights for Silmarillion as well or not?
The deal is complicated by the looks of things. All Second Age material is fair game (from all the books), but nothing from the First or Third Ages can be used. Instead of gaining a licence to an individual book, Amazon seem to have acquired the licence to a specific time period featured in multiple books.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
he deal is complicated by the looks of things. All Second Age material is fair game (from all the books), but nothing from the First or Third Ages can be used. Instead of gaining a licence to an individual book, Amazon seem to have acquired the licence to a specific time period featured in multiple books.
Hmm,interesting...

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given the number of people who have left this project, I can't say I hold out hope. They absolutely have to get the dialogue right and not modernise it.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

OMG I have double trauma from these. This was before the movies came out, so around 2000. Dad tells me over the phone that he bought me "All the Lord of the Rings movies on VHS." I had the internet, so I knew he was probably wrong, but held out hope.... and he came home with these in a box set 😂

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
OMG I have double trauma from these. This was before the movies came out, so around 2000. Dad tells me over the phone that he bought me "All the Lord of the Rings movies on VHS." I had the internet, so I knew he was probably wrong, but held out hope.... and he came home with these in a box set 😂
At least his heart was in the right place. 😊

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
lmao that looked familiar. I actually have that paperback edition of FOTR, it was a gift.

ntNdzRl.jpg
Frodo looks like he's seen some shit on that cover.

Anyone else really hoping we get some stills soon from the production of the show?! Started a re-watch of the extended editions this week and I need my lotr fix.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
These were my first exposure to LOTR when I was ~12 an I still proudly have them on my bookshelf to this day :)

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Frodo looks like he's seen some shit on that cover.

Anyone else really hoping we get some stills soon from the production of the show?! Started a re-watch of the extended editions this week and I need my lotr fix.
Frodo's pretty much looked upon the new Dark Lord the way Gandalf is holding the One Ring.

We'll probably see some production photos in the next coming months. I don't think we'll see a teaser or full on trailer for another year at least. I'm still expecting a Christmas 2021 release date for this show. It will be a fitting way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Ring's theatrical release.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Why Hugo Weaving Doesn’t Want to Return to ‘Lord of the Rings’

"'Matrix’ might have happened. But ‘Lord of the Rings,’ no, I would never-- I'm not interested in that at all,” Hugo Weaving says.

"'Matrix' might have happened," he says. "But 'Lord of the Rings,' no, I would never — I'm not interested in that at all. Look, I loved being in New Zealand with all those great people, and it was like going back to a family but actually, to be honest, I think everyone had more than enough of it."

We'll definitely be seeing a new Elrond and Elros too, if the first king of Atalantë features.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get too excited, it's just Dwarves running around bare ass with only their beards covering their bits.

... unless that's your thing....

In which case, get very excited.