• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Tolkien Estate has final approval right? So I assume they approved the relatively diverse cast?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I can not even imagine the AAAA budget needed to put the First Age properly on the screen :)

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So the Silmarillion is fair game at this point? I assume as long as the Estate approves?
It depends on the the success of this show and whether or not the Estate are happy with the final result. The working relationship between Amazon and the Estate is key too. If all goes well, the Estate may well licence the rights to the First Age material in the future.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
353.gif

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
It depends on the the success of this show and whether or not the Estate are happy with the final result. The working relationship between Amazon and the Estate is key too. If all goes well, the Estate may well licence the rights to the First Age material in the future.

Damn. I bet Bezos is crazy enough to do it if this is at all successful.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
At first glance I thought the one dude was Phil Kessel and he just had enough spare time from not working out to act in this series :P

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I've just noticed that Maxim Baldry isn't mentioned in the cast. He was rumoured to have been cast in the show a few weeks ago. Hmmm.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they are saving the bigger names for these "key roles" Amazon has yet to cast.
Could be the case, but I'm not sure who the big names would be and the characters they'd portray. Also, I wonder if we'll see a big name actor cast solely for the opening episodes only to be killed early on, a la Robert Patrick in Stargate: Atlantis.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
That's awesome having a diverse cast. Besides the obvious when folks throw a tantrum due to having a minority hire. This is the fucking fantasy genre, you willingly believe in magic elves, but how dare a black person shows up in my make believe town.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Yeah, describing anyone not part of the "free peoples" aka anyone with brown skin as being under the control of Sauron has...not aged well. And that's NOT going into the racial elements of the orcs...
It's actually a little more complicated than that. Tolkien describes one of the Hobbit clans as "brown-skinned" and some Gondorians as "swarthy", the same word he uses to describe the Haradrim. In one of his late writings he also says one of the three great houses of men had "fair to swarthy skin." Exactly what Tolkien meant by these words is open to interpretation of course.

Tolkien made some mistakes on race, but on real-world issues he was generally ahead of his time for someone born at the height of the British Empire.

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Wait, this is going to be the same story as the LotR book/movies?
For some reason, I thought this was supposed to be either a sequel/prequel based on the books.
I'm kinda not interested now, as the movies we have are more than fine, and with the extended versions all together, it's like a season of a TV show.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Wait, this is going to be the same story as the LotR book/movies?
For some reason, I thought this was supposed to be either a sequel/prequel based on the books.
I'm kinda not interested now, as the movies we have are more than fine, and with the extended versions all together, it's like a season of a TV show.
It's a prequel thousands of years before.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who any of this people are, I guess they didn't want recognizable people distracting the audience

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Is there a reason to think this would be good? Or is this just a bunch of studio executives going, "Well Game of Thrones sure was popular, what IP do we own that's kinda-sorta similar?"

I dunno that much about LotR outside the main trilogy and Hobbit, is there significant material there to base a show off of?

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Yeah, the storytelling potential of the Second Age is huge. It includes:
  • The forging of the great rings.
  • Sauron as a very good-looking and cunning villain who tricks a lot of people, even the elves.
  • The fall of the kingdom of Numenor, a great civilization that slowly slides over generations from restlessness with their mortality into corruption and oppressive colonialism finally culminating in devil worship. (A lot of people would be surprised how anti-imperial this story is)
  • Aldarion and Erendis, one of Tolkien's most emotionally complex stories about a failed marriage where both parties are at fault.
  • A younger, more impetuous Galadriel.
  • Some big epic wars.
  • Interesting themes of mortality, stagnation and how much to preserve the past, and aging
The tricky part is that we don't have much in the ways of detailed low-level prose narratives, though when you add everything together there is a pretty good amount to work with as a base. But you will need good writers for the dialog.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Fall and rise of Sauron, forging of the rings of power, world goes from flat to round... etc.

Huge amount of storytelling potential imo.
But I assume those are like footnotes in Tolkien's work, he didn't write entire stories and characters set in those times. To me LotR is the story of Frodo, if you make something that's supposedly set in the same world thousands of years earlier, that's just going to be generic fantasy with some recognisable names.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
But I assume those are like footnotes in Tolkien's work, he didn't write entire stories and characters set in those times. To me LotR is the story of Frodo, if you make something that's supposedly set in the same world thousands of years earlier, that's just going to be generic fantasy with some recognisable names.
There's definitely less detail than LotR, but if they have the rights to material from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and History of Middle-earth there's more than just footnotes.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the storytelling potential of the Second Age is huge. It includes:
  • The forging of the great rings.
  • Sauron as a very good-looking and cunning villain who tricks a lot of people, even the elves.
  • The fall of the kingdom of Numenor, a great civilization that slowly slides over generations from restlessness with their mortality into corruption and oppressive colonialism finally culminating in devil worship. (A lot of people would be surprised how anti-imperial this story is)
  • Aldarion and Erendis, one of Tolkien's most emotionally complex stories about a failed marriage where both parties are at fault.
  • A younger, more impetuous Galadriel.
  • Some big epic wars.
  • Interesting themes of mortality, stagnation and how much to preserve the past, and aging
The tricky part is that we don't have much in the ways of detailed low-level prose narratives, though when you add everything together there is a pretty good amount to work with as a base. But you will need good writers for the dialog.
I doubt The Mariner's Wife will be included in this project. It's a lovely tale, but wouldn't really fit in with the overarching narrative of Sauron's rise after the War of Wrath and downfall leading into the Third Age.

Can I have this week's UK lottery numbers please ;)

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
I doubt The Mariner's Wife will be included in this project. It's a lovely tale, but wouldn't really fit in with the overarching narrative of Sauron's rise after the War of Wrath and downfall leading into the Third Age.
I mean, I'm not sure they'll use it, but they should. I actually think it fits in pretty well. Aldarion's travels coincide with the early stages of Sauron's rise, and it's also the very first stage of Numenor's corruption. Aldarion is mostly well-meaning, but he exhibits the Numenorean vices in a smaller form and lays the groundwork for the downfall of his descendants.

Plus Erendis is arguably Tolkien's best female character, at least top 3 or 4. And it's by far the most character- and dialog-driven narrative we have in the Second Age.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm not sure they'll use it, but I actually think it fits in pretty well. Aldarion's absences coincide with the early stage's of Sauron's rise, and it's also the very earliest stages of Numenor's corruption. Aldarion is mostly well-meaning, but he exhibits the Numenorean vices in a smaller form and lays the groundwork for the downfall of his descendants. Plus Erendis is arguably Tolkien's best female characters, or at least top 3 or 4. And it's by far the most character- and dialog-driven narrative we have in the Second Age.
I can see that certainly. It's inclusion would however mean a lot of time jumping between seasons and I'm not sure that's the route they will take. Starting the show during the reign of Ar-Pharazon and detailing the sinking of Numenor in the opening season and then carrying on from that point on, following the survivors in Middle-earth up until the War of the Last Alliance makes the most sense to me at least.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that Nazanin Boniadi was pretty great in her role on Counterpart.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Is there a reason to think this would be good? Or is this just a bunch of studio executives going, "Well Game of Thrones sure was popular, what IP do we own that's kinda-sorta similar?"

I dunno that much about LotR outside the main trilogy and Hobbit, is there significant material there to base a show off of?
Its got one of the largest budgets in a tv series of all time, and supposedly some really fierce passion. Also theyve got a huge timespan of preproduction. So essentially they are being given every benefit possible, just need the writers and directors to knock it out of the park.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, a billion dollar budget over the course of 5 seasons, and a huge scope of history and stories to work with. This will be Amazon's flagship TV show.