• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What are those one and a half things?

They might not be great at developing video games, but they're like the largest storefront on the planet, provide one of the largest cloud platforms, have the largest streaming website, and likely have their hand in a whole lot of other things I'm unaware of.
They've genuinely built the worlds most impressive consumer goods supply chain in terms of speed and breadth of offerings (one) and they've built the best backend system for lots of small-but-too-big-for-ebay sellers to list goods on a major marketplace with a very low barrier to entry (but its still terrible, its just better then all of the other, more terrible options, so a half). I don't think anything else they've really done is that impressive (Most of the Twitch infrastructure was there when they bought it, they've just added new monetization mechanisms from what I've seen, although to be fair, I haven't interacted with AWS much, so maybe two and a half)

But its not surprising to me that they've been unable to make this video game stuff work. It requires actual consumer facing engagement that they just don't have much experience with, and that they don't seem to have bothered to build much experience with. Amazon software products, including their website, are often confusingly marketed and presented and kind of weird to use, and I think a lot of that is philosophical. They don't seem to care much about experiences, and they're trying to enter a business space that is all about experience, from the emotional engagement of the marketing and PR cycle to the actual act of playing the game

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon seems to think they are a studio of Nintendo or Sony Caliber that can announce a project then basically say nothing ever again until release. Crucible came out of nowhere with no sort of hyping even on twitch or anything.

New World is probably going to be the same though at least that will have a pre release Beta for people to see the game

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who reads gaming news pretty much every day, I have not once heard about this game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
CourteousSatisfiedDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well I'm hoping for a FFXIV style comeback, but I don't really believe in it at all. There was no hype or marketing, it looked really boring and the character design, while being super colorful, looked extremely bland. Even if I hate myself for saying that, 'cause art is hard.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The fact this thread is only at 2 pages kinda cements how little mindshare the game had.
In all actuality, they might just be able to turn it around ala FF14. It'll be a tall order, but would be cool to see.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
New World is probably going to be the same though at least that will have a pre release Beta for people to see the game

to be fair looks like there may be some "there" there with New World. and imo the survival genre is more of a cash-in cottage industry than BR/hero shooters, so if that remotely piques my interest ... eh who knows

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Good luck to them!

I didn't even realize it had launched, honestly. First time I heard it was out was when I read it was doing badly.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I played Crucible a bit, but I can't name one unique feature of the game... It's not a bad game per se, but it's not even a novel combination of existing concepts, like for example Valorant is. Similar games have not done that well either (e.g. The Cycle). Seems like the devs have their work cut out for them.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see them turning this around into a long term game.
At this point it might make more economic sense to just scrap the game and perhaps use the assets and what not in a new project.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I saw a trailer a couple of times on Youtube, but it left me completely indifferent. In the way, that you see it and immediately forget again that it exists. That was until this thread popped up.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah... unbirth is here.

Well, turns out you can't always get what you want.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it might make more economic sense to just scrap the game and perhaps use the assets and what not in a new project.

The assets are part of the reason why people don't care about this game. You can assemble far more visually interesting characters/environments from the stock 3D models...

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
FFXIV may've been bad, but at least people were talking about how bad it was.

Who's talking about crucible?
To be fair MMO releases tend to generate a lot of noise, and I expect the Amazon mmo will also do when it releases, good or bad.

But yeah there was no hype about Crucible at all so people aren't even disapointed it's not good, they simply don't care. I wasn't interested to begin with but I didn't even know it released. Maybe they were counting on E3 to promote the game a bunch right before it released but well, yeah.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A game with this little interest overall isn't going to right itself with just more time in the oven.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should turn it into a coop hero shooter. You know, what the first trailer made it look like it was gonna be in the first place.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, less than two months released and it's being delisted on Steam, new players will need to sign up to get a closed beta invite to this game:

arstechnica.com

Amazon’s latest PC game to be delisted from Steam after less than two months

Crucible will still be live for its tiny playerbase of

Less than two months after the formal launch of Amazon Games' first major PC game on Steam, Crucible, the company has chosen to yank it right out of Steam's store. Its developers at Relentless Studios (a wholly owned Amazon subsidiary) have announced plans to delist the free-to-play action-MOBA game from Steam starting tomorrow, July 1, while continuing to operate the game as a "closed beta" for anyone who already downloaded the game (or paid for one of its "founders packs" of cosmetic DLC).

In an announcement on the game's official site, its developers describe this change as a way to "help us focus on providing the best possible experience for our players." As far as remaining players go, however, that assurance may ring a bit hollow, since its delisting will likely reduce the available player pool from its already minuscule population (as of press time, it has only had more than 200 concurrent players once over the past week).

Although the game will continue to launch through Steam, starting at 12pm on July 1, new players will no longer be able to search for the game and freely download its client. Instead, they'll have to sign up to play the game at the official site, where they will wait for a closed-beta invite. (If you think you'll want to play the game eventually and want to save yourself some headaches, head to Crucible's Steam listing and add it to your library right now.)