• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's been a tough ol' time for Crucible. Following a somewhat messy launch, the Amazon-backed hero shooter this week announced it'll be shedding two of its three modes – ditching battle royale and territory control gametypes to focus on being a bit more MOBA, while delaying its first competitive season indefinitely to give the beleaguered beast some much-needed polish.

Developers Relentless Studios explained the changes in a Developer Update last week. Soon, Crucible will only offer Heart Of The Hives, all day every day for every last one of you.

These are the main issues..
"We're starting the first phase by developing the features we know we need: voice chat, a surrender option, a system to deal with AFK players ruining matches, an expanded ping system, and potentially some form of mini-map. We don't have an exhaustive list of changes yet, but those are some of our top priorities."
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amazon's Crucible scales back to just one gamemode

Already troubled by a rocky launch, Amazon's hero shooter Crucible is now ditching two of its three gamemodes to focus on being much more MOBA.

Another example of how important a beta phase is for service games.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Don't amazon have an mmo out soon too? I wonder how amazon execs feel about that right now?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Amazon really just sharted this game out with nothing to back it up. I was surprised that they put it out the door without anything resembling a test phase--though I guess you could argue that's precisely what these last few weeks have been for it lol.

Don't amazon have an mmo our soon too? I wonder how amazon execs feel about that right now?
They have The New World coming out in August, yeah. It was due out in May but most people following it figured it was going to be delayed. They'd already rebooted it once when it was in Alpha.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
They don't even have voicechat? This game was in an even worse state than I imagined,

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
No voice chat?
No surrender option?
No mini map?

I feel like these are near basic features in almost any multiplayer game ever. I know surrender options are basically in MOBAs only but still.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
did they ever add punishments for ragequitters? I played during launch week, and every 4v4 match fizzled within roughly 5 minutes thanks to somebody ragequitting. admittedly, it's hard to punish someone for quitting a F2P game that they may never return to, but some sort of queue refill system would've helped there, at least.)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Quick reminder that Tekken 7, one of the most popular fighting games, launched without basic 1V1 rematch online (lol). That shit doesn't even surprise me anymore. I'm more surprised when somehow they get it right on the most basic things.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
We're starting the first phase by developing the features we know we need: voice chat, a surrender option, a system to deal with AFK players ruining matches
How do you launch a competitive multiplayer game without any of these

Where the hell did the alledged 300m go torwards

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
wait so they released with little stuff and one of their solutions was to unrelease part of it

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever even heard of this game
That's the thing, it kinda just showed up on Steam one day and nobody told anyone. I never even heard of it until like 2-3 days before it launched.

It's most likely gonna die. It has very few players, and for a new game that's free, that's a bad sign. Not much they cawn do to draw an audience at this point.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Beta phase definitely would have been important. I've watched some streams of this and it looks like it could be fun, but they are not off to a great start. Definitely hampered things by not calling this an early access game in general. Hopefully focusing on one mode and polishing things up will help.

The lack of controller support surprised me when I booted it up to give it a shot.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
how does one of the most successful companies in modern times fuck up a game launch. you'd think they did their homework LOL
That's like asking how google mess up stadia so badly. These big tech companies view gaming as another revenue stream to try and monopolise, but that also means these things are kind of afterthoughts to them and lack any passion or real oversight. Microsoft doing so well is kind of a fluke at this point.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Another example of how important a beta phase is for service games.

They kind of did privately. They were aware of the games shortcomings and had some idea what the consumer reaction would be. I would guess someone at amazon made the call to push it out and hope they fix it later. However I don't think what they have right now is strong enough for the game to survive.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
That's like asking how google mess up stadia so badly. These big tech companies view gaming as another revenue stream to try and monopolise, but that also means these things are kind of afterthoughts to them and lack any passion or real oversight. Microsoft doing so well is kind of a fluke at this point.
Yeah, it's quite funny how hard it is for these companies to get into gaming. They've all bought their ways into film/TV/Music but still can't break into gaming.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Even if the basic stuff was in, it would still be a bland hero shooter with a shitty title. We have enough of those.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's so weird when these big entities like Google & Amazon have trouble getting their foot into gaming. Definitely goes to show that it's not as easy as some would think.

IMO, I think these companies should think about content and said content doesn't mean it HAS to be a MP title.
A lot of MP titles seem doomed to fail these days unless they're very unique to the genre (PUBG) or have backing from those well-versed in MP (Valorant).
Even then that's not a sure fire thing.

Hopefully the team on this isn't hurt by what is likely Amazon's Heavy Hand

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
"We're starting the first phase by developing the features we know we need: voice chat, a surrender option, a system to deal with AFK players ruining matches, an expanded ping system, and potentially some form of mini-map. We don't have an exhaustive list of changes yet, but those are some of our top priorities."

They really launched the game without these (key) features? Seems crazy.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
People don't realize how hard it was for fucking Microsoft to get where they are now. Google and Amazon efforts so far in comparison are insignificant.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not sure if Amazon's gaming efforts have been tragic or comical
It's so weird when these big entities like Google & Amazon have trouble getting their foot into gaming. Definitely goes to show that it's not as easy as some would think.

IMO, I think these companies should think about content and said content doesn't mean it HAS to be a MP title.
A lot of MP titles seem doomed to fail these days unless they're very unique to the genre (PUBG) or have backing from those well-versed in MP (Valorant).
Even then that's not a sure fire thing.

Hopefully the team on this isn't hurt by what is likely Amazon's Heavy Hand
I think these big tech companies just don't understand the gaming market. They think they can just gather some warm bodies and throw money at them to make good things happen. The management needs to be effective as well.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, played with 3 friends for an evening and Hive mode was pretty fun.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
People don't realize how hard it was for fucking Microsoft to get where they are now. Google and Amazon efforts so far in comparison are insignificant.
Microsoft really showed how to do it. Mind you, they were helped by getting some decent Sega games after they went third party.

element

Oct 27, 2017
there are so many issues with the game it isn't even funny. the whole thing is a trainwreck with a good helping of ego and incompetence.

they should be happy that the game is bombing so hard because it would burst into flames if it had something like VALORANT or Warzone numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Funny part is that they're leaving the game mode in that is the LEAST fun to play with randoms (not that there are that many playing it still) because no one plays the objective.

This is really just turning into Paragon again except that game was legit fun by the time it got shutdown. Yes, I'm still salty that they killed Paragon. I used to play it pretty much every day.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They kind of did privately. They were aware of the games shortcomings and had some idea what the consumer reaction would be. I would guess someone at amazon made the call to push it out and hope they fix it later. However I don't think what they have right now is strong enough for the game to survive.
I see. They probably play tested it locally so they didn't see these issues that affect people globally.

They should've released it as early access and people might probably give a pass for the shortcomings.

Funny part is that they're leaving the game mode in that is the LEAST fun to play with randoms (not that there are that many playing it still) because no one plays the objective.

This is really just turning into Paragon again except that game was legit fun by the time it got shutdown. Yes, I'm still salty that they killed Paragon. I used to play it pretty much every day.
Me too, I loved Paragon. It was a more polished Smite (I don't like it as it feels too archaic) and I'm pretty sad when they shut it down.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is anyone playing? I remembered that I had downloaded it. Been trying to find a session for about 15 minutes now.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There is more people in the steam group chat than there is playing the actual game, Sub 300 concurrent and that's after giving away a season pass.

I gave up and uninstalled it. I waited for about 15 minutes in two different modes, then finally went to Practice Mode. It did not leave a good impression.

Shame really. On paper it sounds exactly like the kind of game I want to play, but it clearly needed more time in development.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up and uninstalled it. I waited for about 15 minutes in two different modes, then finally went to Practice Mode. It did not leave a good impression.

Shame really. On paper it sounds exactly like the kind of game I want to play, but it clearly needed more time in development.
The game was not ready for even an early access launch. Not sure it will ever recover. Didn't even launch with voice chat.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft really showed how to do it. Mind you, they were helped by getting some decent Sega games after they went third party.
Heck, the SEGA games didn't even pop up until several months after the og Xbox. These other big tech companies are just really going about their entire entry like their shit doesn't stink. Keep in mind, MS had a gaming division for YEARS (decades?) prior to actually entering into the industry in full force too. They already had a solid, if mostly pc centric and relatively small, suite of devs and products, experience publishing, etc. Really all they did was scale up massively and enter the console space. Google and Amazon are like trying to skip that initial step and become just a giant publisher out of nowhere, or in Google's case literally trying to be MS circa 2005 without actually having the previous 15 years of experience in the industry.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018

I see. They probably play tested it locally so they didn't see these issues that affect people globally.

They should've released it as early access and people might probably give a pass for the shortcomings.

Me too, I loved Paragon. It was a more polished Smite (I don't like it as it feels too archaic) and I'm pretty sad when they shut it down.

I'm sure you guys have looked into the many Paragon resurrection projects, but Fault and Overprime are both very playable right now. Overprime seems to be the more polished one in terms of animation and inclusion of the released voice lines etc, but apparently it's not as well-balanced as Fault, which I find feels andd looks more basic. But I'm right there with you guys and I don't think any of the resurrections will ever match what Paragon was.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm sure you guys have looked into the many Paragon resurrection projects, but Fault and Overprime are both very playable right now. Overprime seems to be the more polished one in terms of animation and inclusion of the released voice lines etc, but apparently it's not as well-balanced as Fault, which I find feels andd looks more basic. But I'm right there with you guys and I don't think any of the resurrections will ever match what Paragon was.

I've heard about some people trying to recreate Paragon, but never really looked into it. I'll give these a look. I'm sure that some team SOMEDAY will recreate the feeling I used to get while playing Paragon. At least I can hope.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With hovering around 150 viewers on Twitch, is Crucible dead now?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no

Crucible - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

Oh man. This game wasn't for me, but I had hoped that it would reach some success because a big name GW2 dev I liked jumped ship to it.