• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Amazon drivers say they are being punished for some driving habits that are considered safe and others that are beyond their control, Motherboard reported.

Drivers told Motherboard that the AI-powered cameras in Amazon's delivery vans unfairly penalized them for things such as looking at side mirrors, adjusting the radio, and even getting cut off in traffic by someone else.

"It's upsetting, when I didn't do anything," a Los Angeles delivery driver told Motherboard. "Every time I need to make a right-hand turn, it inevitably happens. A car cuts me off to move into my lane, and the camera, in this really dystopian dark, robotic voice, shouts at me."

Amazon said it has seen a reduction in accidents and other safety violations since installing the Netradyne cameras in its delivery vehicles.
www.businessinsider.com

Amazon's AI-powered cameras punish its delivery drivers when they look at side mirrors or when other cars cut them off, report says

Amazon drivers have been punished for looking at side mirrors, adjusting the radio, and being cut off in traffic by other people, Motherboard reports.

Cameras owned by a megacorporation watching your every move and judging your actions, cutting your pay if you do something "bad".
The ones supplying those cameras are a company called fucking Netradyne!
All legal.

this-is-america-childish.gif

And ya'll are worried about China.

Last edited:

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Why do people use this dogshit company with all we know about them. I've never bought a single thing from them and never will. I can't get my head around it.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely thought made a mistake when writing the title and it's supposed to be "when they don't look at side mirrors", not that that would make it much better.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people use this dogshit company with all we know about them. I've never bought a single thing from them and never will. I can't get my head around it.
because in alot of cases you can only buy certain things thru amazon as many companies have abandoned creating their own storefronts and know that most people use amazon as a first stop for everything and will get less business selling product thru other online marketplaces. it also helps that you can rent space from amazon to store your product to reduce storage costs and speed up deliveries (because amazon will handle all that for you). if you only buy stuff from major brands you can buy at any big retailer you probably dont care but thats the reality of trying to sell stuff on the internet in 2021.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
It's bad but at the same time legal? I wonder who's to blame here :)

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
because in alot of cases you can only buy certain things thru amazon as many companies have abandoned creating their own storefronts and know that most people use amazon as a first stop for everything and will get less business selling product thru other online marketplaces. it also helps that you can rent space from amazon to store your product to reduce storage costs and speed up deliveries (because amazon will handle all that for you). if you only buy stuff from major brands you can buy at any big retailer you probably dont care but thats the reality of trying to sell stuff on the internet in 2020.

Doesn't how they treat their employees outweigh all of that? It's common knowledge at this stage.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For adjusting the radio? The fucking radio?! So I get paid less because I wanted to listen to music a bit louder?

JFC...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't how they treat their employees outweigh all of that? It's common knowledge at this stage.
i mean yeah amazon treats there employees like shit but good luck convincing millions of people to change their shopping habits especially when amazon has basically killed most other options

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
but yeah this is ridiculous at this point. the goverment needs to really reign amazon and other big tech companies in at this point because its obvious they are pushing things too far but when washington cant even cooperate when we have a majority i doubt anything will be done about this for awhile

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

They essentially undercut themselves to the top. They have enough capital to either create the same product or service and sell it in their network, or push something at a loss and let time normalize it as the standard. Their delivery service, perhaps the most famous thing that got them ahead outside of their shopping site, was precisely pushed as a way to undercut the standards of every chain in America that did deliveries. Now people red flag any service that doesn't do same-day delivery.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Bezos treats workers is legit worse and more dystopian than I have ever read in a Cyberpunk novel.

"In this book about the near-future, the movement of workers is monitored around the clock"

Bezos: "Come on son, that is some weak-ass rookie shit"

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
because in alot of cases you can only buy certain things thru amazon as many companies have abandoned creating their own storefronts and know that most people use amazon as a first stop for everything and will get less business selling product thru other online marketplaces. it also helps that you can rent space from amazon to store your product to reduce storage costs and speed up deliveries (because amazon will handle all that for you). if you only buy stuff from major brands you can buy at any big retailer you probably dont care but thats the reality of trying to sell stuff on the internet in 2021.

Anecdotal but I've never ran into a situation where I couldn't buy a product from the actual manufacturer instead of amazon. I just did this with a juicer last night lol.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Driving is mirror signal manoeuvre though. And pretty much constant checks of your mirror. I'm trying to think what would even constitute an inappropriate look at your side mirror...

It sounds like the cameras don't work properly either. If you're slowing to make a turn, someone goes around you and the system flags that as tailgating or something, it's not working properly. It's like every company is just happily throwing AI at everything ("this will make us more efficient" being the rallying cry I suspect), and not taking in to account the models and programming are done by humans, who make mistakes.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is allegedly about safety, but one of the things that hurts your score the most is not answering phone calls immediately. Fucking lol.
Also, I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in a cargo van and not using the side mirrors is unbelievably dangerous, much more so than in a car.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I have had no problem not using Amazon for the last couple years. There is nothing you cant get elsewhere, either from local or other sites.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Eat the Rich.

"bu…but space/electric cars/token goodwill or charity"

Eat. The. Rich.

Tax them, regulate them, do anything aside from nothing, and going "they earned it"

fuck outta here.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I only buy from Amazon things I know I won't need for a few months because I know that when they inevitably lost track of the product they will refund me the full amount plus some credit and I will still get the product a week or so after they give me the money back.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Penalized for looking at your side mirrors? What the fuck? That's why they are there!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This unfortunate practice could be eliminated if all Amazon employees were simply affixed with humane shock collars that gently discourage incorrect behavior. In time, people wouldn't even have to be monitored. Employees who think correctly will behave correctly.

Correct thinking is a skill. Skills are best taught through aversive stimulation, in order to give the subject a compelling incentive to avoid errors.

Amazon should hire me. I'm super ethical and really great at this behavioral stuff. The key to my approach is discarding unprofitable social constructs like empathy.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would it punish you for looking at your mirrors you know... the things you need to merge into lanes safely in front of other cars... or park....or do a lot of things in cars. Fuck Bezos.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Self-driving cars can't come soon enough
I disagree. I actually enjoy driving. Congested cities suck, yes, so I'm not saying self driving cars are entirely useless but I'm not OK with AI taking over driving everywhere.

anyway with every new story I read about the way Amazon treats their employees, I get closer to just 100% boycotting them. It'll be hard since they basically sell everything but they're such a morally and ethically flawed company.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
This shit is heinous and should be made illegal, but i don't understand what's the issue with looking at the side mirrors? You basically have to look at them to drive.... they're made for a reason

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
As bad as it is that Amazon has bought these cameras and put them into their vans, there's actually a company called Netradyne who builds and sells these cameras for any fleet.

Why they feel the need to exist is beyond me.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Driving is mirror signal manoeuvre though. And pretty much constant checks of your mirror. I'm trying to think what would even constitute an inappropriate look at your side mirror...

It sounds like the cameras don't work properly either. If you're slowing to make a turn, someone goes around you and the system flags that as tailgating or something, it's not working properly. It's like every company is just happily throwing AI at everything ("this will make us more efficient" being the rallying cry I suspect), and not taking in to account the models and programming are done by humans, who make mistakes.

They need to take their foot off the gas when they get cut off and the system wouldn't flag them.

Most of these other things aren't flagged by doing them. They get flagged when something else sets them off, say slamming on the brakes. If that sets off the camera, it reviews what you were doing before that. Say like, looking in your mirror for too long or messing with the radio.

All this shit is annoying, but they need to adjust how they drive. Or complain to the media

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, some people treat this place as some sort of progressive bastion (it isn't, but that's how some people treat it), and many here openly admit to using Amazon for essentially everything with no qualms about it.

Oct 28, 2017
Penalized for looking at your side mirrors? What the fuck? That's why they are there!

Why the hell would it punish you for looking at your mirrors you know... the things you need to merge into lanes safely in front of other cars... or park....or do a lot of things in cars. Fuck Bezos.

Its probably not by design, I'd guess the AI camera is programmed to alert the drivers when they don't have their eyes on the road... and nobody thought that actually you have to look into the side mirrors or out of the windows constantly to drive safely

Trying to increase your delivery drivers' road safety would be a sensible goal, but of course Amazon does it by keeping them under constant surveillance. And tying that to people's pay just sucks

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Other delivery companies are moving toward the same thing. Where I work (it's got the arrow in the logo) is putting in cameras "for our safety" but it also gives us a "safety score" and the camera yells DISTRACTION if you look away for 3 seconds. At 5 seconds an alarm goes off. It detects acceleration and braking as well and records whenever there's a big disturbance, which can just be turning down a dirt road.

We're so down on people that they're trying anything they can to monitor and squeeze employees into just gogogogo no looking but like, I have to look for house numbers off mailboxes on the side of the road, I'll get dinged for that constantly. Afaik it doesn't affect my pay and I can't be fired if the score is low but I assume it'll result in more direct manager meetings.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
As bad as it is that Amazon has bought these cameras and put them into their vans, there's actually a company called Netradyne who builds and sells these cameras for any fleet.

Why they feel the need to exist is beyond me.

If the cameras help reduce accidents then it's a good thing. How the companies use them to punish workers is a different story though.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
When low paid workers get scrutinized like that on their every move, I wonder how the ones at the top of the ladder are being treated while earning 100 times more, they must have nanomachines in their blood, anal probes and brain implants….no, they don't?? I'm shocked.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
The company added that it has seen the following changes since installing the cameras in more than half of its US fleet: accidents decreased 48%, stop-sign and signal violations decreased 77%, following distance decreased 50%, driving without a seat belt decreased 60%, and distracted driving decreased 75%.

I'm torn, in one hand this makes people drives more carefully , on the other hands this is some future dystopian shits

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I mean, some people treat this place as some sort of progressive bastion (it isn't, but that's how some people treat it), and many here openly admit to using Amazon for essentially everything with no qualms about it.

I cant blame working class people for buying stuff they need or want in the most economical way they can. The system allows this, that needs to change.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
People will still prop Amazon being this great place to be while Jeff barely makes it to space
Sad really how un-spaceman like he was. Definitely C+ effort. They gloat about going to space. Get back to me when you get to Mars and find out how boring it is. But what do you expect out of self absorbed billionaires?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
But, but their commercials tell me they're so nice! Who am I to believe, the people who make those ads show Amazon is a workers utopia or the people who actually work there?!?

Oct 30, 2017
They need to take their foot off the gas when they get cut off and the system wouldn't flag them.

Most of these other things aren't flagged by doing them. They get flagged when something else sets them off, say slamming on the brakes. If that sets off the camera, it reviews what you were doing before that. Say like, looking in your mirror for too long or messing with the radio.

All this shit is annoying, but they need to adjust how they drive. Or complain to the media
I'd really be curious to see how this system is used and how it responds to issues. A lot of people suck hard at driving, but think they're excellent at it.

Yes the constant observation is invasive, but if it's measurably reducing accidents and improving safe driving then it may be worth it.