• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Seems a little on the small side but I'm not really sure I see the downside. Workplaces should have places that workers can take a private moment in for whatever if they need to.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I can't stop laughing at the audacity of this thing. As someone with a mom who suffered from mental illness (as well as my SO and lesser myself) both exacerbated by the workplace I can guarangoddamntee you this thing is gonna end up just being a vessel for people to stigmatize those who go in it, and honestly I wouldn't put it past Amazon to record people in it lol. Imagine having a serious complaint regarding work place harassment and being told to hit the box.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems a little on the small side but I'm not really sure I see the downside. Workplaces should have places that workers can take a private moment in for whatever if they need to.

One, it isn't private. It's in the middle of the work floor, and it looks like a carnival photo booth.

Two, if your workplace conditions are so terrible that you specifically need an area such as this, then said conditions should be fixed as opposed to slapping a dystopian bandage on it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
One, it isn't private. It's in the middle of the work floor, and it looks like a carnival photo booth.

Two, if your workplace conditions are so terrible that you specifically need an area such as this, then said conditions should be fixed as opposed to slapping a dystopian bandage on it.

I don't want to defend Amazon but everyone at any job might need a moment. I work in animal care and people can feel serious grief at work if something happens. I had to run to a bathroom to cry a few weeks ago when an animal suddenly died. Everyone cries in bathrooms or closets here when something happens.

it's definitely poorly implemented no matter which way you slice it though

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to defend Amazon but everyone at any job might need a moment. I work in animal care and people can feel serious grief at work if something happens. I had to run to a bathroom to cry a few weeks ago when an animal suddenly died. Everyone cries in bathrooms or closets here when something happens.

it's definitely poorly implemented no matter which way you slice it though

As someone with both major depression and major anxiety, I completely understand needing to escape for a bit (or the rest of the day/week sometimes), but this implementation in particular is basically what a bunch of rich suits figured would give them points for aiding "mental health", when none of them have probably even thought about the term before. Get that shit off the work floor and far, far away from anyone else. And don't make them look like compressed booths of any kind - people should have full rooms. I think a good example is stage/studio dressing rooms, the ones with full bathrooms and showers and such. Couches, chairs, whatever is actually comfortable. And you obviously should be able to lock the thing. That at least feels like a good starting point as opposed to... whatever this is.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Kinda feels like it'd be cheaper to just fix the actual underlying problems, but what do I know.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon's not gonna "give people a moment". The mental health booth will be for breaks and lunch only.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Lol this is dystopian as fuck.

At least it gives them some privacy when they have to piss in a bottle.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
The location and size of it could be better/bigger, but I'm not against this idea. I used to essentially have to take breaks and go to the bathroom to just sit and calm down during some low points. The end result is folks just thought I had immense bowel issues. Was a better trade off than telling them I was having a mini breakdown.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with both major depression and major anxiety, I completely understand needing to escape for a bit (or the rest of the day/week sometimes), but this implementation in particular is basically what a bunch of rich suits figured would give them points for aiding "mental health", when none of them have probably even thought about the term before. Get that shit off the work floor and far, far away from anyone else. And don't make them look like compressed booths of any kind - people should have full rooms. I think a good example is stage/studio dressing rooms, the ones with full bathrooms and showers and such. Couches, chairs, whatever is actually comfortable. And you obviously should be able to lock the thing. That at least feels like a good starting point as opposed to... whatever this is.

agreed.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I would love if my place of work had this. There's a really "nice" large break room, but absolutely no where to go for any kind of privacy during breaks.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I remember soundproof cubes being pretty common in Bay Area coworking spaces - we would always refer to them as scream chambers, but they were great for taking calls or getting a bit of work done in private

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
You've got to hand it to Amazon, doing everything in their power to give us the cyberpunk dystopian future we were promised.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If Amazon didn't have a shit track record this would be amazingly progressive

It's not, really. Basically every office job I've ever worked has had a privacy/"refuge" room.

These were actual human-sized rooms, discretely located, where people could slip away to calm down or pray or whatever.

Infinitely more humane than the reverse-panopticon shame-cubicle.

Dec 30, 2020
"And this is the piece of floor I inhabit, and that's the camera that monitors my efficiency, and this is the communal box we all shriek in."

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
People hating on this but if you catch yourself about to a panic attack, having a retreat space with minimal external stimuli where you can laser-in on yourself is a big deal.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah all I need during anxiety attacks is a box that looks like a coffin

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Will Siri be there? Siri with a DeepMind/AlphaGo learning algorithm

Also she should have a physical body that i can touch too

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how long that thing is gonna be in use before somebody takes a giant dump in it.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I want to know how many people approved this. I really, really want to know how many braindead executives signed off on cramming employees in a phonebooth in the middle of the fucking production floor when they have a mental breakdown at work. And I want to know how much they fucking make.
Thw thing is so over designed that it had to take a large team. Like wtf.