• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo... I'm thinking about about buying an iPad soon. Should I hold off until Amazon gets their shit together or just take a chance with Apple's website?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon's own courier service as far as I know doesn't use USPS as their last mile. If they do last mile, it goes through UPS and FedEx. I get a mixture, but I would still say in our area, the Bay Area, more packages come from UPS and Amazon compared to USPS.
USPS handles Sunday delivery for Amazon, plus plenty of packages during the week. They don't do all of Amazon's parcels, but they do enough that they hire people specifically for the purpose of managing the Sunday delivery volume. Assistant Rural Carriers (ARCs) exist specifically because Amazon has contracted USPS to deliver on Sundays and holidays.

OP
OP
Mingoguaya

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Soooo... I'm thinking about about buying an iPad soon. Should I hold off until Amazon gets their shit together or just take a chance with Apple's website?
Remember that this is for Amazon Shipping. Still, normal Amazon is getting swamped with orders and it will take longer than usual for any non-essential shipments from them.

Apple uses FedEx and UPS for their shipments. We are receiving orders fairly quick from them (most of the orders ship for next day service). You'll be fine using Apple.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Don't all these carriers use USPS for the last ten miles anyways?

AMZ definitely doesn't. They have GPS on drivers so you can see them on a street map that pops up on the site/app once they're within a certain distance. If your number's in the system, the courier can call you if you don't answer the door or if you live in a gated building/area.

It might not be stuff they're doing everywhere yet and I do get stuff they send via USPS every once in a blue moon, but Amazon's designs far eclipse what the postal service is ready to do.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
USPS handles Sunday delivery for Amazon, plus plenty of packages during the week. They don't do all of Amazon's parcels, but they do enough that they hire people specifically for the purpose of managing the Sunday delivery volume. Assistant Rural Carriers (ARCs) exist specifically because Amazon has contracted USPS to deliver on Sundays and holidays.

Every package ever shipped by Amazon Logistics here has not used USPS. Amazon delivers it through their own people and that includes Sunday delivery here.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Go with Best Buy; you'll probably get it sooner than Amazon. Or of course go with Apple. I would not pick Amazon for that purchase if you want it in a timely manner.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
finance.yahoo.com

Amazon to suspend delivery service competing with UPS, FedEx

The online retailer told customers that the service, Amazon Shipping, will be paused starting in June, according to the Wall Street Journal, which was first to report the change. Amazon is suspending the service because it needs people and capacity to handle a surge in its own customersā€™...

So Amazon can't handle the surge in volume and it's not even peak season.

This is Christmas season on steroids.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, does this mean they're not shipping at all or they'll be using UPS/USPS/whatever to fulfill orders?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, does this mean they're not shipping at all or they'll be using UPS/USPS/whatever to fulfill orders?
It was clarified that it won't affect it in the way you're thinking. They'll still use Amazon Logistics which is their own courier to ship and deliver packages. This is Amazon Shipping which applies to non Amazon products and products sold on the Amazon marketplace.

Talka

Oct 29, 2017
This is Christmas season on steroids.

Seriously. This is bigger than any peak in history, and it's happening during a time of year when retailers and supply chains historically aren't resourced to support even half their typical peak holiday capacity.

Online retailers spend literally all year preparing for Peak. This has been the Peak of all Peaks, during historically the lowest capacity months of the year, all while every link in the global supply chain has had to redesign literally every single process to comply with social distancing and other safety guidelines.

It's all absolutely insane and I'm frankly amazed more of retailā€”brick-and-mortar or onlineā€”hasn't completed imploded.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ok, that has nothing to do with what I wrote? That you see amazon trucks sometimes, does not mean they do not heavily rely on USPS for the last mile. They do, you just happen to live in an area where they also have a lot of amazon trucks as well.
In my part of Phoenix Amazon trucks are the most common, by far, means for Amazon packages to be delivered. The Amazon trucks (blue with Amazon's label on the side) will drive in front of the house, drop a package off, take a picture and then I'll get an email/amazon notification showing me that the package has been left by my door. This happens on the regular. It may not happen in your area but the people who say it happens are correct that it does happen and it happens often.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Never heard of Amazon Shipping before, I guess because it doesn't exist out here.

However, seems this topic is going down the path about Amazon Logistics. Where I live, 99% of the time packages come from Amazon and not UPS or USPS.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Oddly enough, first thing I woke up to this morning is a failed delivery attempt notification from Amazon. I checked the status and it said it was from FEDEX. I did the cartoon thing where I rub my eyes with both hands and looked again. Yep, Fedex. I haven't gotten anything from Fedex through Amazon in YEARS.

Only problem is they tried to deliver SUPER EARLY in the morning when my leasing office is closed, so I had to go pick it up from a Fedex Office location. If this is the time of day they're going to be stopping at my apartments for all these deliveries that's going to be a problem.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ok, that has nothing to do with what I wrote? That you see amazon trucks sometimes, does not mean they do not heavily rely on USPS for the last mile. They do, you just happen to live in an area where they also have a lot of amazon trucks as well.

Here is Austin, almost everything that is shipped and sold by Amazon is delivered, to the door, by Amazon Logistics, not USPS.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I thought for sure Amazon would have pushed through Drone deliveries during this outbreak.

OP
OP
Mingoguaya

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I live in a rural city and thank you for your hard work!
You are most welcome. I feel like people who live in these rural areas are more grateful for the job we do for them. I actually really enjoy the interaction I have with my customers on a daily basis. And in light of the recent news that apparently USPS will go down if not funded by June, I feel like the people who will suffer more will be the ones who live in these rural communities.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what's nuttier, that Amazon had this service that I wasn't even aware of, or that they've had to go into full holiday season mode in the middle of April.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
No, all three of those services frequently use USPS for the last mile delivery. Not always, of course, but they do lean heavily on USPS for last mile deliveries. Without USPS their services can't exist.

That's why I pay the measly service fee when it goes on sale. You can force all packages be delivered by ups directly

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If USPS really does go down in June, some people claim that they don't have to pay their bill because the bill never got to them. They're still rule users that don't have internet and depend on the mail to pay their bill. I wonder how that's going to work.