• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 21, 2017
Pros:
-Brought over Kamen Riser Amazonz
-Homecoming is Great
-The Expanse
-The Boys
-They seem to be getting their act together, here's hoping Wheel of Time and LoTR Project are hits

Cons:
-UI isn't the best
-Fast forwarding back and forth is night impossible
-Separate tabs for 4k regular versions

It's not the worst. It seems like they've only recently started to produce some good shows, so here's hoping they can keep it up. The UI is functional at its worst. It could be better, but i've seen worse.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
i hate the amazon prime video app itself, so so much. the content selection is entirely separate though.

the thing that sucks about all of these streaming apps is that they're all bad in their own way, but each of them gets something right that the others don't. for Amazon specifically, the (on PS4) "press R1 to add to watchlist" function is so awesome. unfortunately the app crashes a lot when browsing, you can't rate stuff and get recommended based off that, and it STILL has a bug where if you don't use it for more than 3 or 4 days it signs you out. that shouldn't be happening in any smart device app in 2019.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's the only service I have because I happen to have Prime even though I didn't even know lol

I only used it for The Boys tbh, although I think I'm gonna watch Jack Ryan just for the Dolby Vision. I hate how few DV stuff they have, everything is HDR10+.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
The UI being trash is a big part why the content discovery is terrible. I've never seen something so terribly listed, everything seems in random order. Usually when you pick a genre in another app you get originals or the best content on the service as the first few sets of recommendation. Amazon prime app has no logic, I click on "Action-adventure" I get random ass direct to video trash... not exactly appealing if I just want to find something good quick.

Some live sports events are free, but you wouldn't know that because it doesn't do a good job separating the content... the entire thing is a mess.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
nope I think Netflix is worse. Especially with useless features like your list that doesn't even sort to categories, just an endless wall of stuff you added to your list, yet it already knows all the categories for the stuff already but they don't put it in the list UI. At least on Amazon Prime I can switch my list/favs to movies/tv shows, and sort them too. Netflix has nothing.

Maybe apps also differ per region (I'm Europe/Germany), I don't know, but I can't stand Netflix besides it's front page of new releases/trending.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The UI is a mess for sure, takes the piss to find things on it and having 4k version in separate lists is annoying

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Eh, does anyone just sign up for the service?

I would think most would just see it as an add on benefit to having prime, so they overlook it's shortcomings.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
The UI makes it practically unusable. My girlfriend and I almost never open the app for that reason. Actually being able to browse stuff that's actually included in Prime, instead of constantly seeing shit I have to buy, would be a huge plus. But even so, navigation and searching is just so bad.

I have ad-free Hulu with HBO included in app, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. We probably watch Hulu/HBO the most, closely followed by Netflix. I think I've opened the Prime Video app like 5 times or less all year.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the ones I've tried HBO seems to be the most clunky and the streaming stops and loads a lot.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The UI is functional, which is all it needs to be. Patriot, LOTRs, and Expanse are big deals. They have NFL games, which have mass appeal. It's also not purely a Netflix competitor as most prime members don't have prime primarily for streaming video.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Idk much about their original programming, but in terms of things they actually have to watch they're by far the best. Also HBO has the worst app by a mile.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hulu has a bad UI, and they have pretty bad streams (I don't even think they support surround sound on ATV).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The web version of Amazon Prime is one of the most confusing things, bland and awful. Hulu used to be bad its not really anymore maybe I just learned how to navigate it but at least it has a design.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 Prime Video app is laughably bad. It actually makes Crunchyroll look serviceable.
The app is easily one of the worst ones I've used on any platform and it's frustrating because they have good features like the x-ray stuff. It's amazing to me that they haven't even bothered to try updating it, nor the website interface.

The sorting and search is awful, the main page is bloated with redundant categories that list the same handful of shows and movies, there's no easy or good way to sort between paid content and Prime stuff, search is terrible and it lacks sorting options like genre, it's clunky and slow... they really need to do a complete overhaul.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon in the UK has a way better selection IMO. Amazon has futurama and all of South Park for starters (compared to netflix only having about 7 or 8 of them).

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It truly is awful. Bad UI, mixing free to watch with rentals, separating shows into seasons, terrible search function, unable to smoothly forward or reverse videos (you have to click the forward arrow key).

I'm amazed a company with lots of money can't do a decent UI.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I had prime for a short while and you're right, the UI is atrocious. It wasn't even separating out content that came with the subscription from content that you had to pay for. Absolute trash fire.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. The fact that they have separate listings for resolution and VO makes me not want to use it from the get-go (maybe they changed that since I watched that sarcastic superhero show, I doubt it though). The Apple TV app is the only way I watch their few good shows since I don't have to interact with their shitty app. The X-Ray feature is in fact kinda cool but I don't lose that when watching through the Apple TV app, so win-win there.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah but Mr. Robot, The Expanse, Vinland Saga, Blade of the Immortal, Mad Max, solid movies (international or otherwise), etc., etc.

Idk about you but I think it's a matter of taste. Prime Video is solid.

Edit: UI on Apple TV *is* definitely terrible though.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, amazon prime video is a chore to get through. Netflix has the best UI of them all. My other service, HBO, is not that great as well. Haven't had the chance to try Disney+

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The app is god awful on Fire TV since you can't even search the damn thing. There's no proper categorization either. I'm just stuck either using the system wide search which can bring up things on other services, or more likely using my phone to browser the mobile UI while I figure out what I want to watch.

That being said, the selection feels quite poor. The top movies and top tv sections feel like they've barely changed at all in the last 2 years. The only thing I like is having IMDB ratings. That's really useful.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Bosch is amazing, OP is right about the UI though. Absolutely horrendous all around.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix has the best UI and it's not even close.

Don't find Prime's that bad either, really.

Disney+'s is just a budget discount version of Netflix and decent enough too.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's terrible because it's free with gazillion other stuff. I bet when budgeting is done, Prime Video gets 15% of the total Prime budget.

Doesn't excuse them from how garbage the presentation is though.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Prime Video has some of the best content and doesn't have too much of it

Presentation sucks but it doesn't matter in the slightest

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's pretty shit overall, but they have The Boys, so I'll give them a pass.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing that bothers me is the fast forwarding. All the other services you can see where you're at. Prime you just select the speed and hope you arrive at the right place.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If we're talking UI and experience, Hulu on iOS, web browser, everything, is terribly designed in almost every conceivable way.

Content wise, at least to me, they also have the least amount of truly compelling content. A handful of really good exclusives support a rather large selection of mediocre stuff.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
They are all shit compared to Netflix in the UK. How hard is it just to copy them. Amazon doesn't stand out as any worse than Sky or iPlayer etc it's just shit and so are the rest of them.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I think pretty much all the major streaming services have dated interfaces, especially when used on monitors. Thank god the search feature works on them. Hulu tried to modernize their look, but they just pushed a pile of dirt around on the floor a little bit and called it a day.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I agree their UI needs an an overhaul but content wise they have gotten better and better and seem to finally be headed in the tight direction.

3 years ago I would agree with OP but not now.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon upload exclusive anime to their service. Then don't advertise it at all and hide it so deeply you have to specifically search for it to find it.
To say its bad is an understatement.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In Canada, there's no legal way to stream His Dark Materials, or Watchmen, or any other HBO show / co-production in HD.

Your only option is Crave, which is low-bitrate 720p and apps that take 2-3 attempts to play anything, sometimes it just won't play at all. For $20+ / month.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy to me that Amazon wants to be a big player in streaming and they still don't have a profile system like every other service. I know you can kinda do it with different linked emails on the prime account but it's well past time to add real profiles.