• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, my wallet is fucked this month if the US site is already doing it. I have hundreds of dollars of stuff pre-ordered right now lol

What a shitty change overall.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Amazon really wants out of selling video games.

I just made a bunch of preorders here in NA last night but I'm going to cancel and buy them at walmart.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Amazon US is doing it.

So this is confirmed as a hardware thing, too? Not just games?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Seems like Amazon Germany is still not doing that. Pre-ordered the Death Stranding collectors edition a few days ago and still nothing on the credit card.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm in the US and have 10+ games preordered, haven't been charged for any of them.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I have at least a couple of games pre-ordered and just per-ordered a couple of blu-rays the other day and haven't seen charges for any of them yet.

EDIT: Though I'm talking about amazon.ca.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why people still pre-order is beyond my knowledge with all the terrible examples we had the last couple of years.
Collector's Editions that sell out, pre order incentives, limited copies for certain games, ensuring you can get a game on release day, etc. You can prefer to not pre order, but it's silly as all get out to act like there aren't ever reasons to pre order. There's plenty of reasons why so many do it.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
I preordered a Mega Drive Mini from Amazon in April. A couple of days ago I changed the card I want to use for the order.
I have now seen that Amazon have taken the money from my account, not just an authorisation, they have actually collected the funds.
I'm going to cancel my order and get a refund, I will be using other companies for my preorders in future.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think usa is doing it yet. Because I have yet to see a charge on my card for the death streading preorder I did the day it went up.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Is this legit...? I'm still getting nothing come up as a prime member, it's still saying pre-order now, but not to pay. Also no retroactive charge thank god.

On the week of E3 nearly, and they decide to do this? So that means if any new consoles are up for order, or any new games, of which there will be dozens I'll pre-order, they expect me to pay it all in advance...?

Haha... no thank you.

I order on average about 4-5 games a month, usually via pre-order. Thankfully it's been quiet these last two months and haven't bought so much. But if they seriously have done this, I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't retroactive; previous preorders are unaffected.

Really shitty of them to do, though. Going to make me think twice before preordering, but I guess that was their goal, right?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the idea of amazon banking all that money and earning interest on it.

I remember years ago when I used to read Americans paying off their preorders, could never understand. Here in Europe it was always pay when it's released, it's just getting in line whether it's a local shop or online. Bizarre to have this come now.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I once had a pre-ordered item in the same order as something already available but I could have been an outlier.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
So do we know if this is credit card only or does it also affect payment with direct debit/withdrawal from a bank account. Because I think someone in the Cheap-Ass-OT said that Amazon.de didn't charge them for their pre-order with the latter payment method.
And that wouldn't really be a big deal for me.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I just pre-ordered The Surge 2, and it went as normal. No up front charge, totally normal. Not sure if it's the sexy LE version but that's not the point.

I'm a prime member and I pre-order roughly 87 billion games a year with them. Debit card, would never have a credit card. So not sure what's going on...?

I've also checked and all small print on the order says I won't be charged until release. It even says on my mail I won't be charged until the item is shipped. So if that's not the case, and they charge me, then I'll request a refund and tell them to do one. Im
Not paying for prime if they won't even bother to do this basic ass shit right.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I just pre-ordered The Surge 2, and it went as normal. No up front charge, totally normal. Not sure if it's the sexy LE version but that's not the point.

I'm a prime member and I pre-order roughly 87 billion games a year with them. Debit card, would never have a credit card. So not sure what's going on...?
As I've mentioned before in the thread, it's only a trial at the moment, so not everyone is affected. I pre-ordered two things on the same day and only one got charged for. It's pot luck if you end up being part of the trial.

Furthermore they charge 5 days after ordering anyway, so it could still come.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Seriously? I'll keep checking my bank balance if that's the case. Really poor, they should make you aware if you are in the trial then.

Seems to be another way for them to make money off interest if you ask me.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
UK here. I purposefully just switched to an account that has no money in and preordered Death Stranding to see if it works. Got an email saying it was a confirmed preorder and it's now in my order history. No money has been taken out, obviously.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Welp, about to be using Amazon a whole lot less. Used to pre-order everything I planned to buy as it was listed, and then either trickle in any gift credit I may get from Bing Rewards/as gifts to the nearest releases or cancel anything I wasn't dead set on some time before release. I'd always had numerous things pre-ordered at once, but if it's charging upon order than that's stopping right away. No fucking way is Amazon getting my money 6 months before the product even exists.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Welp, about to be using Amazon a whole lot less. Used to pre-order everything I planned to buy as it was listed, and then either trickle in any gift credit I may get from Bing Rewards/as gifts to the nearest releases or cancel anything I wasn't dead set on some time before release. I'd always had numerous things pre-ordered at once, but if it's charging upon order than that's stopping right away. No fucking way is Amazon getting my money 6 months before the product even exists.

I don't really follow your pre-order logic at all.

Personally - I only preorder for beta access and 90% of the time cancel, so I completely understand the decision from Amazon here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Preordering on Amazon was good for making sure you at least have the item reserved before you can afford it and then you can have that money prepared before date of shipment. Not being able to do that anymore with Amazon means that I'll be taking my business to Best Buy.

Even Best Buy isn't perfect though. They take the amount out pending until it verifies you have it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered a game to test... doesn't seem like it has charged me. Hmm? (US)

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017

Personally - I only preorder for beta access and 90% of the time cancel, so I completely understand the decision from Amazon here.

Well I would use it sorta like a layaway system. Pre-order something and slowly pay down on it using gift cards. 5-10 dollars a month so when it comes out I already have it paid for( or nearly) . Really good for people on a tight budget.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered a game to test... doesn't seem like it has charged me. Hmm? (US)
Read literally a few posts above you.
As I've mentioned before in the thread, it's only a trial at the moment, so not everyone is affected. I pre-ordered two things on the same day and only one got charged for. It's pot luck if you end up being part of the trial.

Furthermore they charge 5 days after ordering anyway, so it could still come.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
I preordered a Mega Drive Mini from Amazon in April. A couple of days ago I changed the card I want to use for the order.
I have now seen that Amazon have taken the money from my account, not just an authorisation, they have actually collected the funds.
I'm going to cancel my order and get a refund, I will be using other companies for my preorders in future.
Direct from a chat with them:

Amazon UK said:
We're introducing some improvements to payments and authorisations in order to simplify your shopping experience on Amazon. When you pre-order an item that is yet to be released, we charge you the full order amount when the item gets dispatched. If the shipping date is set after more than five days, that charge occurs on the fifth day since your order was placed. We'll dispatch your item as soon as it gets released. You can check updates to your order status, or cancel your order anytime before it gets dispatched, by visiting Your Orders at https://www.amazon.co.uk/yourorders .

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have read this post multiple times and have no idea what you're trying to say.
Heh :)

There are reports and emails confirming Amazon will deduct the preorder cash within five days after your order is placed, not immediately. The email should be on page one of this thread iirc.

I posted this because your post seemed like you just ordered a day ago and confirmed nothing happened after that time.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Heh :)

There are reports and emails confirming Amazon will deduct the preorder cash within five days after your order is placed, not immediately. The email should be on page one of this thread iirc.

I posted this because your post seemed like you just ordered a day ago and confirmed nothing happened after that time.

Ah. That's fucking crazy.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
If they do it because people preordered games to get the attached pre order things like beta access, that won't do shit, because I can still cancel the preorder and get my money back.

The whole thing does not affect me, because I never preorder games and never will understand why people do that.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
If they do it because people preordered games to get the attached pre order things like beta access, that won't do shit, because I can still cancel the preorder and get my money back.

The whole thing does not affect me, because I never preorder games and never will understand why people do that.
Price fluctuations. For the longest time amazon prices would fluctuate and if you had a preorder, they would automatically adjust your preorder price to the lowest one. I had KH3 ship at $32+tax because of it. But now that they charge you within 5 days, I guess that won't be happening unless they go to the trouble to refund you each time it happens.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Price fluctuations. For the longest time amazon prices would fluctuate and if you had a preorder, they would automatically adjust your preorder price to the lowest one. I had KH3 ship at $32+tax because of it. But now that they charge you within 5 days, I guess that won't be happening unless they go to the trouble to refund you each time it happens.
They will, kind of. Albeit they charge you the price the game costs at the time of ordering, if the price drops between that and the release date of the game, you will get a refund of the difference.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Pre-ordering early lets me lock in the lowest price over the window with the guarantee. I also often pre-order items that may sell out or be difficult to find at launch. I'll often pre-order items I'm not positive I'll want long in advance because until now there's been no advanced payment necessary, which lets me "reserve" it with no risk while ensuring in the case that I do get it I can get the lowest price it has hit. Then I'll just check back periodically to see whatever pre-orders I have that I may no longer be interested or that I realize I won't be able to responsibly pay for at the time of release and axe them.

TL;DR I can secure items I'm interested in with no risk, locked in at the lowest price it'll hit, so I can gauge closer to release how much I want it and if I can reasonably pay for it.

I'm not paying in full in advance for anything other than the kind of high end collectibles that I wouldn't buy through Amazon anyway, and I've only ever gotten one of those.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I kinda like this because I used to use gift cards to pre-order games off of Amazon because I didn't like how they initially charged you then took the money off two days after until it shipped.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
US here, I just chatted with a csr for Amazon and he says that for video game pre-orders, they will not charge upon ordering because the price fluctuates quite often from the time it's ordered to the time it ships, and that a lot of re-authorization would have to take place unnecessarily.

I just pre-ordered Pokémon Sword yesterday and will not be charged until release.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon have never been competitive for prices here, only get games to you on release day itself (if you are lucky) so why on earth people use them I will never understand. Support smaller, cheaper businesses.