• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
What a ridiculous measure. Good thing I let my Prime expire. I'm not in Europe but you're kidding yourself if they don't try to do this elsewhere.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont' even buy games from amazon anymore i find places like base.com, shopto, thegamecollection and various other smaller online retailers offer better price.
They also offer free first class shipping.

Nov 18, 2017
Don't really care since they refund you if the price drops.

Great for you, but you could see why this would be a problem for others, so show solidarity for your fellow consumers. Yeah?

When PS5 pre-orders go up and we don't know how much it'll be you used to be able to pre-order at Amazon to largely guarantee at launch and save up for 6 months. And if they didn't dispatch, you could cancel and source elsewhere at launch. Now people will take that $500 hit immediately, and be locked in. Sure they could cancel, but you have to wait for those funds to return before you can spend them elsewhere. It creates problems. It's anti-consumer.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yes fuck amazon for this policy. If you decide to cancel your pre-order you're not getting your money back for at least 3 days, it took 7 days for my money to return to me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I must have just missed this with my Megadrive mini pre order. Made it on the 17th.

Phew!

Really sucks though, I used this sometimes when my budget didn't stretch to items like this that might have shortages on launch if I didn't sign up.

Hope it gets reversed, but i doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
Are they charging on orders made before the change? If so I will cancel all.

Sucks that all our new game pre order discounts are going away and pre ordering is getting even worse

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're pre-ordering a game from Amazon you're making a mistake to begin with. Use one of the many other sites that are usually cheaper and deliver the game at a minimum one day early.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I usually buy mostly Collector's and Limited Editions from them, so this completely changes how I need to plan my budget in some cases.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is the only thing that kept me using amazon. If this spreads to other territories it's a wrap

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this sucks. I usually preorder a lot of stuff like really early (like say... consoles and elite controllers), then pay for it them at the begginning of the month it comes out by buying gift card credit then applying it to the order.

I guess I can't be too mad about this though.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the abuser you're referring to is the tax-dodging, employee-punishing tech giant who made $10billion last year.

And not customers who cancel pre-orders.

Funny you take it there. As if I'm holding up a sign saying, "Think about Amazon!!". I don't care about their pockets. Preordering and cancelling after you get whatever for free is no noble deed and it gets abused everywhere. If that was a factor for the change, I completely understand and remain unaffected.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Looks like I'm done with amazon

I could pre order a console right and then I'd put money on my card to buy it as I only have a debit card and not a credit card

This sucks

Nov 18, 2017
Funny you take it there. As if I'm holding up a sign saying, "Think about Amazon!!". I don't care about their pockets. Preordering and cancelling after you get whatever for free is no noble deed and it gets abused everywhere. If that was a factor for the change, I completely understand and remain unaffected.

If you preorder and cancel you have received nothing for free. It's allocation of potential stock. There are no guarantees either way. Consumers changing their mind about a future transaction is not abuse.

And yes, oddly that is exactly the sign you are holding. With a smaller sign vilifying consumers for exerting their right to choose prospective purchases. What a weird take.

Edit: Access to a timed demo/beta is a promotional tool, not a product. The solution to this problem is to stop doing pre-order access, not charge at the point of preorder across the site. And even then people can still preorder and play the beta and then cancel for their money back. So this decision likely has nothing to do with "abusing" preorder betas at all.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Figured that this would happen eventually. Too many people abused the preorder function to get access to Demos\Betas just to get a code. Does this apply to all products or only games?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're making it really easy for me to go all in on Best Buy now. I plan to stick with them even post GCU now.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that really sucks. Maybe getting a next gen console pre-order will be a little easier at least, if everyone is expected to pay the whole hog up front.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks for me for getting 4K blu rays. I usually pre-order as soon as they pop up and just budget in the cost for release date.

There's nowhere else that's much good for getting them here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I usually preorder close to release when I know I'm getting something anyway. So it doesn't really change anything for me. Though it sucks that they're changing it.
Ditto, if I even preorder.

I guess this is a good thing in a way as some people probably preorder the same item from multiple retailers and then cancel afterwards, preventing others from preordering due to limited stock allocation.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I'm okay with this as long as it isn't an immediate thing: keep a 2-5 days window in case of orders created by mistake and for people who may not have enough money on their cards at the time a limited edition is available.
Hopefully this will speed up the whole day one shipping process, usually my payments are finalized late on launch day and stuff takes always 2-3 days more to arrive.

Nov 18, 2017
Ditto, if I even preorder.

I guess this is a good thing in a way as some people probably preorder the same item from multiple retailers and then cancel afterwards, preventing others from preordering due to limited stock allocation.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume this change will alleviate stock allocation issues. Except now Amazon will have taken money from the people whose order they can't fulfil on release day.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Don't care since I would prefer they take the money straight away so I'm not having to worry about keeping money in my bank for it.

If there is a price reduction then they can just refund me it after they dispatch it.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason whatsoever to assume this change will alleviate stock allocation issues. Except now Amazon will have taken money from the people whose order they can't fulfil on release day.
Has this been confrmed? Who's to say they won't stop preorders once their initial allocation has been met? I'm sure during the Switch preorder period back in 2017, there were times we couldn't preorder because they'd already met their allocation.

Nov 18, 2017
Has this been confrmed? Who's to say they won't stop preorders once their initial allocation has been met? I'm sure during the Switch preorder period back in 2017, there were times we couldn't preorder because they'd already met their allocation.

Yeah let's just assume they'll do us a solid!
Like they'd never take preorders before they know their allocation! Because psychologically speaking, people are less likely to cancel an order on release if they're going to be without the money or an order for 3-7 days.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as mentioned earlier this has been discussed a lot in Cheap Arse Era over the past number of days. I got hit by it when ordering two Switch games last week. I got charged early for one, but not the other. I cancelled both and complained to Amazon. They basically gave me the same spiel as everyone else that they're trialing improvements to pre-ordering where you either get charged on dispatch if your order comes out within the next 5 days, or you get charged on the 5th day after ordering if it comes out later. They apologised, gave me £5 Amazon credit for my troubles and said they'd pass on my complaints but I'm not expecting much from that...

Either way I'm not pre-ordering anymore from them if they continue with this policy. They're very rarely cheaper, so literally the only reason to pre-order from them was the fact it was easy to shove in a pre-order which you don't have to pay for, and then either cancel or keep it later nearer the time when you've decided.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Also if you think tis is bad i ordered from Domino's Pizza the other day and they charged me a £2 delivery fee.

When i exploded they explained they were trialing new models in certain stores.

the food was no cheaper btw.

Everything is awful now.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
They're not just doing it to games. They're doing it Blu-Rays as well. What's the reasoning for charging for Blu-Rays when ordered? There's no limited edition or beta codes.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Will this impact existing pre-order? I pre-ordered both FE Limited edition and Zelda Link's Awakening, but in case maybe it is better to drop at least the pre-order of FE, since I have it pre-ordered at GameStop too.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then I will just stop pre-ordering on Amazon because that is just disgusting.

I pre-order on the basis of convenience and the chance that I might change my mind not to for Amazon to charge me and I have nothing and pay more for items. Plus with Amazon being big, you can bet that other retailers are going to copy this shit.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Totally understandable.
People have stolen too many pre order bonuses and BETA access codes by buying and cancelling.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Twenty years of building a monopoly are slowly coming close to the point where it all pays off.

Alchemist

Oct 25, 2017
Any ShopTo.net users here? It seems they've taken up the same policy with their new website redesign

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If they tr to do this in US Amazon, no more pre-orders for me.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Never abused a preorder by cancelling after I got the preorder bonuses - I have doubts this is the best way to combat that issue (how about only sending the digital stuff after you've shipped the item).